2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:50 am stayin' in and stayin' safe
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/03 ... ng-version
CFN has us staying home!

I think if the season plays as "normal" as possible the 2020 team definitely wins 6 games and goes bowling.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am
CFN has us staying home!

I think if the season plays as "normal" as possible the 2020 team definitely wins 6 games and goes bowling.
Does the College Football News usually make predictions this far in advance? or are these predictions unusually early because of our "no sports" condition right now? I can't get too worried about what anyone predicts this far ahead, and am also confident that Willie and the Boys can get six wins next season.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Kirk Herbstreit just said he doubts they'll be any football this fall, pro, college or high school. I'm afraid he may be right. And even if we can start the season, the C-19 second wave will probably truncate it, and wipe out the basketball season.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:13 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am
CFN has us staying home!

Does the College Football News usually make predictions this far in advance? or are these predictions unusually early because of our "no sports" condition right now? I can't get too worried about what anyone predicts this far ahead, and am also confident that Willie and the Boys can get six wins next season.
I do not remeber them doing anything like this this far in advance...but boredom reigns thru out social media, and without spring games to cover, they are bored as all hell, and drinking cases of Corona ( for medicinal purposes only)
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm Kirk Herbstreit just said he doubts they'll be any football this fall, pro, college or high school. I'm afraid he may be right. And even if we can start the season, the C-19 second wave will probably truncate it, and wipe out the basketball season.
Herbstreit made that prediction over the weekend.

The "second wave" is mostly media driven. If we get to that point (where the COVID-19 is dormant) hopefully we'll be prepared with approved vaccines and a large percentage of the population already immune. We certainly would have testing with immediate results as that's getting rolled out as we speak (thank you Abbott Labs.) Getting to that point is the critical part. The second wave doesn't scare me at all.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:42 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:16 pm Kirk Herbstreit just said he doubts they'll be any football this fall, pro, college or high school. I'm afraid he may be right. And even if we can start the season, the C-19 second wave will probably truncate it, and wipe out the basketball season.

The "second wave" is mostly media driven. If we get to that point (where the COVID-19 is dormant) hopefully we'll be prepared with approved vaccines and a large percentage of the population already immune. We certainly would have testing with immediate results as that's getting rolled out as we speak (thank you Abbott Labs.) Getting to that point is the critical part. The second wave doesn't scare me at all.
https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2020-03-27 ... ve-Minutes

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/pro ... -test.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Pandemics almost always have a second wave, and sometimes a third wave. They will continue until about 60% of the population has the antibodies--and while we have undoubtedly have undercounted those with antibodies, it's probably safe to assume that we are no where near 60%. And we will not have a vaccine ready for the second wave (probably in Oct or Nov, if not sooner)--at best we may have some effective therapeutic treatments that will enable people to survive the virus. We will have dramatically increased the nation's medical capacity line, but the second wave will still claim many lives, and likely shut down large gatherings.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:45 pm

Pandemics almost always have a second wave, and sometimes a third wave. They will continue until about 60% of the population has the antibodies--and while we have undoubtedly have undercounted those with antibodies, it's probably safe to assume that we are no where near 60%. And we will not have a vaccine ready for the second wave (probably in Oct or Nov, if not sooner)--at best we may have some effective therapeutic treatments that will enable people to survive the virus. We will have dramatically increased the nation's medical capacity line, but the second wave will still claim many lives, and likely shut down large gatherings.
I do not disagree. But also warn that we're 3-4 weeks from a peak of the first round. A very large percentage of the population will have been exposed and developed antibodies before this first wave ends.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Predicted peaks came out today.
Going from memory here:
NYC 4/7
NOLA 4/9
USA avg 4/14
Most in April and few like
Fla and some others May
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
billow
High Tide

Already renewed my football season tickets when Tulane offered a discount purchasing them early.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:11 pm Predicted peaks came out today.
Going from memory here:
NYC 4/7
NOLA 4/9
USA avg 4/14
Most in April and few like
Fla and some others May
I hope this predictions are accurate, but fear they are a few weeks premature from what I've read. I would love to hope for the peak in the Northeast to be next week. Most "experts" are predicting 2-3 weeks from now.
MicMan
Swell

FYI, the T-P laid off Guerry Smith.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

As much as his reporting was sometimes uneven, definitely appreciated the coverage and enjoyed reading all of his articles.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:27 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:45 pm

I do not disagree. But also warn that we're 3-4 weeks from a peak of the first round. A very large percentage of the population will have been exposed and developed antibodies before this first wave ends.
That's the key, whose got the antibodies. And that's where the testing needs to be directed. Getting tested today and finding out that someone doesn't have it is kind of meaningless since they could contract it two or three days later. But knowing who has the antibodies is how this can all eventually get managed, hopefully before the second wave. Summit County Colorado (Breckenridge, Keystone, Frisco, etc) are going door to door to test 100% of the county for antibodies.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

billow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 pm Already renewed my football season tickets when Tulane offered a discount purchasing them early.
I did as well. I just hope I'm around to use them. I'll never be happier to sit at a Tulane football game than I will after this pandemic--it means I made it, and we're back to normal.
GreenLantern
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 am
billow wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:29 pm Already renewed my football season tickets when Tulane offered a discount purchasing them early.
I did as well. I just hope I'm around to use them. I'll never be happier to sit at a Tulane football game than I will after this pandemic--it means I made it, and we're back to normal.
Hoping for normalcy and looking forward to meeting everyone in person. We need a tailgateing area for gotula.net.
At football games, we should identify ourselves with a button like this:

MicMan
Swell

No football activities until classrooms re-open.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm FYI, the T-P laid off Guerry Smith.
That's a bummer. I hope he hooks up with the Crescent City Sports folks.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's just temporary.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yep same with Scott Kushner. 🦠
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wimbledon will not be played this year. Announced earlier today.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm Wimbledon will not be played this year. Announced earlier today.
That’s bizarre. If there ever was a sport that needed no fans it’s tennis.
Could easily play matches on TV with empty stands at the very least. Players are far away from one another as is the umpire.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 am
Hoping for normalcy and looking forward to meeting everyone in person. We need a tailgateing area for gotula.net.
At football games, we should identify ourselves with a button like this:

Great idea GL. After this catastrophe it would be a huge celebration.
MicMan
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:49 pm Wimbledon will not be played this year. Announced earlier today.
Could easily play matches on TV with empty stands at the very least. Players are far away from one another as is the umpire.
You know better than that. The dozens of personnel needed to operate a professional tournament -- facilities, food, medical, security, coaches, where to house players, etc etc. And that's not counting the people needed on the TV side. It's not plausible.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

MicMan wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 pm
You know better than that. The dozens of personnel needed to operate a professional tournament -- facilities, food, medical, security, coaches, where to house players, etc etc. And that's not counting the people needed on the TV side. It's not plausible.
You wouldn’t need any of that other support staff. This is an individual sport. Players have to be tested before qualifying. Temp’s taken before the start of each match. You of course lock the gates. Necessary Medical personal to wear personal protection. Food is not an issue with no fans. Boxed lunches. Players can bring what they need including drinks. To me it’s looks like they canceled this early to be politically correct. TV ratings would be the tournament’s highest ever.

https://vm.tiktok.com/tU3XNM/
Tulane Class of 1981