2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:45 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:50 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 am
sader24 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 am A spring season in full cannot happen. They could possibly play 4 games. In order to get back on track for a Playoff and real season in 2021 you can't put them through 14 games from Feb-May and turnaround and play again in Late August in this sport. It's just political cover to ease the blow. Much like 2 weeks to flatten the curve was. At some point we are going to have to step up, accept the risks and get on with life just like we do when we get on a plane, get in a car, swim in the ocean, walk in the French Quarter at night, let children go to school, go to work, play golf in the rain, or any other 2,000 ways you can die. Allow the kids and coaches that want to play play, honor the scholarships of those and contracts of those who choose to sit out. This country allows you to make a decision to go to war at the age of 18 of your own free will, the same should apply to football. Yes i know that these are two different situations concerning spread, but once again, if you are scared to catch the sickness, mask up, stay home, only go essential places, stay away from college kids, etc. Make your own choices.
It’s what I’ve been saying as well. Take a vote per team. Kids that don’t want to risk it let them opt out and play with the rest.
That's what they have done. They can opt out and still have their scholarship. No Tulane player has opted out. They have been quoted as saying they feel very safe with the protocols Tulane has in place.
Yes for Tulane. But what about the other schools? Big 12, PAC 12, MWC?

Wasn't arguing against you. Just pointing out that the opt out options have been there all along. Tulane and some others have honored that and wil continue on. Others backed off their promise. Shame on them.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

"2 Weeks to Flatten the Curve" now we have changed it to 6 months to make sure nobody dies ever again. Play Ball, this has gotten way out of hand. The Big 10 is pretending to base their decision on a 27yr old Nigerian who was playing basketball in Serbia Michael Ojo. There are kids playing multiple sports all over the metro area as we speak. Nobody has died or been hospitalized.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Big 12 announces its schedule:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 43383.html

Ten games. Nine conference and one non-con.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:33 pm
Nothing I said is comparable to what some states did. The protocols are already in use by the team. No one will be allowed to play in a game that has tested positive. If you don't have it you can't spread it. It's really not tough to understand unless it gets in the way of your agenda.
Can you PLEASE tell me what my agenda is? Seriously, I want to know because I think I haven't communicated well.

And you might want to watch the video of the webinar, it's extremely informative even if College Football is only discussed for about 10-15 minutes of the hour long webinar.

But please enlighten me about my agenda.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

To insist football can't be played despite evidence to the contrary and to insult and shout down those who point it out.
Last edited by winwave on Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:11 pm Big 12 announces its schedule:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 43383.html

Ten games. Nine conference and one non-con.

Exactly why we should have waited before scheduling OOC games. We very likely could have gotten one or two , if games are played is another issue . Dannen panicked . Dannen should have waited for the BIG12 to announce .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:20 pm To insist football can't be played despite evidence to the contrary and to insult and shout down those who point it out.
What evidence to the contrary is there? Have games been played that I missed? Has Tulane (or the other 129 D1 programs) had a full student body on campus to test the "bubble" they've created for football? Has it been proven that tackling that involves two or more heavy breathing and sweating athletes piling up on one another can be safe?

Dr. Stewart and his colleagues told us on July 25th that the bubble model the NBA and NHL used for their abbreviated and delayed play are the only ones with a chance of success. You refuse to go back and watch the video of that webinar, as it doesn't meet your agenda.

I'm a football fan. But I'm also a realist. Realistically, it's not safe to play under the current conditions. And we're putting dollars ahead of safety. I still think the season either doesn't start or doesn't make it to October.

I want to watch football. I certainly will watch if they play. But don't think for one minute that the University and all others that elect to play aren't taking on risk in un-chartered waters.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The evidence is the players have been back and working out and now practicing for two months and the number of positives is .5%. Most other teams have similar numbers. Some students have been back and there is a lot of activity around the city. Yes we all know football is a contact sport. No matter how many times you say that it doesn't change the fact that if one doesn't have it one can't spread it. The protocols are set up to make sure that is the case. No the full student body isn't back but since the players have done their part so far there is no proof to show they shouldn't get the chance to continue on. I'll note here that it is hypocritical of you to say it's ok for students to come back and do what they have always done but then on here you call out those refusing to wear mask.

I have heard Stewart many times say what he said in the news interview earlier this week. He put the plan in place for Tulane and the AAC. Again its time to find out if it will work.

I have always been a realist. There not just throwing these kids out there and saying lets play ball. The teams have spent countless hours and tons of money to protect them. Realistically if you pull the plug they are more likely to go out and get the virus.

Of course there is a risk. Mitigation efforts are in place to lower that risk to extremely low levels and it has worked for two months. So there is no evidence to show that the plug should be pulled right now.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:55 am The evidence is the players have been back and working out and now practicing for two months and the number of positives is .5%. Most other teams have similar numbers. Some students have been back and there is a lot of activity around the city. Yes we all know football is a contact sport. No matter how many times you say that it doesn't change the fact that if one doesn't have it one can't spread it. The protocols are set up to make sure that is the case. No the full student body isn't back but since the players have done their part so far there is no proof to show they shouldn't get the chance to continue on. I'll note here that it is hypocritical of you to say it's ok for students to come back and do what they have always done but then on here you call out those refusing to wear mask.

I have heard Stewart many times say what he said in the news interview earlier this week. He put the plan in place for Tulane and the AAC. Again its time to find out if it will work.

I have always been a realist. There not just throwing these kids out there and saying lets play ball. The teams have spent countless hours and tons of money to protect them. Realistically if you pull the plug they are more likely to go out and get the virus.

Of course there is a risk. Mitigation efforts are in place to lower that risk to extremely low levels and it has worked for two months. So there is no evidence to show that the plug should be pulled right now.
Exactly!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 am
winwave wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:55 am The evidence is the players have been back and working out and now practicing for two months and the number of positives is .5%. Most other teams have similar numbers. Some students have been back and there is a lot of activity around the city. Yes we all know football is a contact sport. No matter how many times you say that it doesn't change the fact that if one doesn't have it one can't spread it. The protocols are set up to make sure that is the case. No the full student body isn't back but since the players have done their part so far there is no proof to show they shouldn't get the chance to continue on. I'll note here that it is hypocritical of you to say it's ok for students to come back and do what they have always done but then on here you call out those refusing to wear mask.

Exactly!
Thanks. I'll add to it that it isn't just about money. Everyone is begging for some normalcy for the mental well being of our country. if they can successfully play the season that would do wonders for millions.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:08 am

Exactly!
Thanks. I'll add to it that it isn't just about money. Everyone is begging for some normalcy for the mental well being of our country. if they can successfully play the season that would do wonders for millions.
Amen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

What do we think happens first: TU closes down campus or TU football suspends the season?
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
gbgreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:52 pm
sader24 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:13 am A spring season in full cannot happen. They could possibly play 4 games. In order to get back on track for a Playoff and real season in 2021 you can't put them through 14 games from Feb-May and turnaround and play again in Late August in this sport. It's just political cover to ease the blow. Much like 2 weeks to flatten the curve was. At some point we are going to have to step up, accept the risks and get on with life just like we do when we get on a plane, get in a car, swim in the ocean, walk in the French Quarter at night, let children go to school, go to work, play golf in the rain, or any other 2,000 ways you can die. Allow the kids and coaches that want to play play, honor the scholarships of those and contracts of those who choose to sit out. This country allows you to make a decision to go to war at the age of 18 of your own free will, the same should apply to football. Yes i know that these are two different situations concerning spread, but once again, if you are scared to catch the sickness, mask up, stay home, only go essential places, stay away from college kids, etc. Make your own choices.
It’s what I’ve been saying as well. Take a vote per team. Kids that don’t want to risk it let them opt out and play with the rest.
That's what they have done. They can opt out and still have their scholarship. No Tulane player has opted out. They have been quoted as saying they feel very safe with the protocols Tulane has in place.

Wasn't arguing against you. Just pointing out that the opt out options have been there all along. Tulane and some others have honored that and wil continue on. Others backed off their promise. Shame on them.
Big problem not as easy as you say, because their decisions kill others not just the players but their families, friends or anyone else they come in contact with. You have to realyze this is not just a personal choice this is a societies choice on how to whip this virus once and for all.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:44 am
winwave wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Big problem not as easy as you say, because their decisions kill others not just the players but their families, friends or anyone else they come in contact with. You have to realyze this is not just a personal choice this is a societies choice on how to whip this virus once and for all.
I fully realize it. Read the board. My wife is the lead infectious disease epidemiologist for the DOH. My post there was about the fact that players can opt out without penalty. Those that choose to play have excellent protocols in place. What the players need to do is continue to follow the protocols once the full student body is back. As for killing their families stop football and send them home where they won'y have the protocols that Tulane has in place for them.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Send them home if not playing ?

Saying that Tulane has football players , and other athletes , who are not expected to also attend classes is totally irresponsible of you and totally disrespectful of the players and the university .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

reporting from the Eastern Seaboard Progeam Your Mind Network
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -week-ever
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:07 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:08 am

Exactly!
Amen.
This!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If the AAC, ACC, Big 12 and SEC can complete their seasons, I wonder how all the PAC 12 and Big 10 fans will feel then. I agree 100% with Finebaum's observations. Given the many scenes of college-age students partying in bars, beaches and pools, I have to believe that the players are considerably safer being largely sequestered in carefully managed football programs. Even the often cited notion of " if there is no school then there is no football season", isn't necessarily true--Tulane already proved in 2005 that you can have one without the other. Fortunately this year, no team that opts to play will have to function as road-weary vagabonds like our 2005 team did.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 pm What do we think happens first: TU closes down campus or TU football suspends the season?
I'd wager that the campus shuts down, or goes to 100% remote learning first. At Tulane, the players are much safer than the regular student, who is largely unmonitored.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 am If the AAC, ACC, Big 12 and SEC can complete their seasons, I wonder how all the PAC 12 and Big 10 fans will feel then. I agree 100% with Finebaum's observations. Given the many scenes of college-age students partying in bars, beaches and pools, I have to believe that the players are considerably safer being largely sequestered in carefully managed football programs. Even the often cited notion of " if there is no school then there is no football season", isn't necessarily true--Tulane already proved in 2005 that you can have one without the other. Fortunately this year, no team that opts to play will have to function as road-weary vagabonds like our 2005 team did.
Our 2005 team didn't need to be vagabonds. That's on RD. Shreveport offered us Independence Stadium for free for the season. RD chose to make us a traveling circus. Just another of his many fuck ups.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:33 am
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:23 am If the AAC, ACC, Big 12 and SEC can complete their seasons, I wonder how all the PAC 12 and Big 10 fans will feel then. I agree 100% with Finebaum's observations. Given the many scenes of college-age students partying in bars, beaches and pools, I have to believe that the players are considerably safer being largely sequestered in carefully managed football programs. Even the often cited notion of " if there is no school then there is no football season", isn't necessarily true--Tulane already proved in 2005 that you can have one without the other. Fortunately this year, no team that opts to play will have to function as road-weary vagabonds like our 2005 team did.
Our 2005 team didn't need to be vagabonds. That's on RD. Shreveport offered us Independence Stadium for free for the season. RD chose to make us a traveling circus. Just another of his many fuck ups.
I think "Homecoming" was held at ULM, just so RD could visit the Duck Dynasty crew
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:28 am
GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:10 pm What do we think happens first: TU closes down campus or TU football suspends the season?
I'd wager that the campus shuts down, or goes to 100% remote learning first. At Tulane, the players are much safer than the regular student, who is largely unmonitored.
Testing has proven not accurate so monitoring players proves nothing, one case goes undetected and the whole squad has an out break. Alisa Melano the actress had covid19 with 3 negative results while she was on assisted breathing. Two months later she tests positive for the anti body proven those test was wrong. So someone explain to me how all this testing will Help protect our student Athletes!!!