2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:30 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:12 pm Uconn has announced they are canceling their football program . . . Wait, I think I’m early on that one :D
Yes you are early on that. It came out yesterday that they have signed a TV contract with CBSSN for seven figures a year to show their home football games.
CBSSN must be desperate for programing

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I think it's highly unlikely that there's an NCAA Football season this fall. Primarily because I don't think students will be back on campuses.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

Athletes can get paid now but they can’t play. :roll: :roll:
A liberals dream come true
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:48 pm Athletes can get paid now but they can’t play. :roll: :roll:
A liberals dream come true
WTF????????

Show me, are you going off the deep end?

The us vs. them politicizing of the COVID19 is SO SO SO counterproductive.

I don't think young college age kids will be back on campus for two reasons: 1. Sex 2. Partying.

What are the two biggest ways to spread the virus? What are college kids going to do no matter what they're told?
MicMan
Swell

lol
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:12 pm Uconn has announced they are canceling their football program . . . Wait, I think I’m early on that one :D
Yes you are early on that. It came out yesterday that they have signed a TV contract with CBSSN for seven figures a year to show their home football games.

If you look closer at the deal they reached its rather mysterious. They didnt announce how much it was for but said it was a 3 year deal that is 7 figures (not per year). So it could be a $1,000,000 deal over 3 years (thus paying $334k per year). The fact they didnt disclose how much It was annually has many believing it was an embarrassingly paltry sum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm

If you look closer at the deal they reached its rather mysterious. They didnt announce how much it was for but said it was a 3 year deal that is 7 figures (not per year). So it could be a $1,000,000 deal over 3 years (thus paying $334k per year). The fact they didnt disclose how much It was annually has many believing it was an embarrassingly paltry sum.
I wonda how much SC will skim off the top
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm

I went back and read it and you're right it was seven figures over the course of the contract. It said it was for four years so theoretically it could be $250,000 a year. However this makes it clear they aren't giving up football.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:27 am
MicMan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:33 pm Take vitamin D? LOL
Vitamin D strengthens the immune system, and specifically works to keep a flawed immune system from attacking healthy cells, while it attacks foreign cells like viruses. When the healthy cells are attacked it causes inflammation problems throughout one’s body. In addition to higher fatality rates for those with obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure, other less discussed co-morbidities include colitis, Crones Disease, Psoriasis, and other diseases involving inflammation problems. To mitigate these risks, you have to have 5,000 to 8,000 IU per day of Vitamin D3.. While fair complexed people can readily convert sunlight to D3, African Americans and Hispanics can’t making it even more important that they take supplemental D3. But anyone living north of the 37th latitude (most of the U.S.) are subject to D3 deficiencies especially during the winter. Take D3 and help your immune system help you during this pandemic.
Its also fat soluble so in theory you wouldn’t be peeing it all out.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:22 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:15 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:51 am Looks like California, Michigan and Tennessee will all have "virtual on line" classes only this fall... I don't see Tulane--N'western being played
Did Illinois say they're not having students on campus?
not yet, but I think it will happen...the NCAA sez's
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... mmert-says
I bet most school's will open and play--the economic pressures are enormous. Purdue's board just approved an on-campus opening. Without the football revenue (especially TV revenue) it will be a financial meltdown. Also, without football it gets real easy to forget about the university system, resulting in a drop in donations at exactly the wrong time. Without opening and playing football, there will be massive layoffs and salary cuts in the faculty and admin ranks.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If its a huge hodge podge, as to which schools play football this fall versus those that don't, will schedules be modified and filled by just playing schools with geographic proximity--ala what MLB is doing? All travel by bus, like MLB?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 pm If its a huge hodge podge, as to which schools play football this fall versus those that don't, will schedules be modified and filled by just playing schools with geographic proximity--ala what MLB is doing? All travel by bus, like MLB?
That is one of many plans under consideration.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:44 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 pm If its a huge hodge podge, as to which schools play football this fall versus those that don't, will schedules be modified and filled by just playing schools with geographic proximity--ala what MLB is doing? All travel by bus, like MLB?
That is one of many plans under consideration.
And then, will ESPN want to modify their contract for the 2020 season? It would be kind of cold blooded considering the likely high ratings for any live sports, especially college football.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Imagine if Somehow Tulane and LSU play this year in football as a fill in game. I would pay any amount of money for that game. LSU has to take a big step back this year. . . right ?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:50 pm Imagine if Somehow Tulane and LSU play this year in football as a fill in game. I would pay any amount of money for that game. LSU has to take a big step back this year. . . right ?
I would love to see us play them but unfortunately they are at a point with their recruiting that they are just reloading not rebuilding.
Last edited by winwave on Wed May 13, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

True. By step back I mean Top 25, instead of where they have been Top 5 and NC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

UNO, Nicholls and a few other Louisiana public universities announced they are planning on having class on campus this fall.
https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/new ... 111959001/

The system universities include Grambling State University, Louisiana Tech University, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana University, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, University of Louisiana at Monroe, and University of New Orleans.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:50 pm UNO, Nicholls and a few other Louisiana public universities announced they are planning on having class on campus this fall.

The system universities include Grambling State University, Louisiana Tech University, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Southeastern Louisiana University, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, University of Louisiana at Monroe, and University of New Orleans.
Red states will play ball, Blue states won’t.
California already said no class in the Fall.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:50 pm UNO, Nicholls and a few other Louisiana public universities announced they are planning on having class on campus this fall.

The SEC will play I’ll guarantee that.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:22 pm True. By step back I mean Top 25, instead of where they have been Top 5 and NC.
We'd all like to see them drop way down. We'll see.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU Athletics returns to campus June 1st.
Summer school on campus classes to begin as well.
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 6b63d.html
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Lets be a bit more accurate...the California State U system will not have fall classes on campus...the University of California system has not made an announcement ...
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... sports-air
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Here's an interesting angle on how no fall football would affect the G5:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 114986001/
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Interesting stuff CT. Nice to not have a doom and gloom article. I’m sure we we would be effected more than Murray state or directional Kentucky but nice to know the other side of things. We will have revenue sources even without fall football ( bowl game payout from all aac schools, uconn exit fees) and miss out in travel costs but unfortunately would lose out on our TV Deal.