2020 College Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
gbgreenie
Surge

Dr. Fauci, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the face of the White House COVID-19 task force, believes that for a football season to be possible, the NFL and NCAA would need to embrace the "bubble" format that will be used by the NBA and NHL in the upcoming months.

"Unless players are essentially in a bubble - insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day - it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Fauci said. "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm Dr. Fauci, who is the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and the face of the White House COVID-19 task force, believes that for a football season to be possible, the NFL and NCAA would need to embrace the "bubble" format that will be used by the NBA and NHL in the upcoming months.

"Unless players are essentially in a bubble - insulated from the community and they are tested nearly every day - it would be very hard to see how football is able to be played this fall," Fauci said. "If there is a second wave, which is certainly a possibility and which would be complicated by the predictable flu season, football may not happen this year."
Most, if not all of us know who Dr. Fauci is. His star isn't shinning nearly so brightly lately. That being said, there's nobody who knows what tomorrow (or 3-6 months from now) will bring. This isn't over, and it's getting harder to believe anything that comes from our government; local, state or federal.

We all want football. I hope we get through this. There's still time for a lot of things to happen. A month ago I was positive we wouldn't have football. Now I'm not so sure. But I'm definitely not sold on the idea that we're going to have a season, or even a start of a season. I'm also not sold on campuses being open on September 1st (just to pick a date.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

UCLA players say they don't trust Chip Kelly

wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 pm
wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:44 pm FBS college football needs to break away from the NCAA. I believe that non-P5 football scholarships need to be discounted from the overall athletic department count. The non-P5 Football schools will be better able to support themselves and their athletic departments without the burden of supporting 85 dead weight scholly's, coaches, admins, travel ect...
I'm trying to understand why it would make a difference? Help me out. As I understand it, Title IX is a federal mandate that has nothing to do with NCAA scholarship allocations. I may be wrong, but 97, please help me understand your point.
Nothing to do?
Please!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Clemson has 23 players that tested positive. Many coaches said that they felt they could protect their players better than the players were protected at home. That's why these initial positives aren't surprising. They are reporting and being found to be positive. Now we'll see if the coaches can protect them from themselves. As I said above this is why its good they are back early so this can hopefully be dealt with and a season can still be played.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
gbgreenie
Surge

New Orleans health officials have identified clusters of new coronavirus infections traced back to a graduation party and a large gathering at a bar outside Orleans Parish, the city announced late Friday.

City officials did not immediately respond to questions about how many infections were tied to the two events, when the gatherings occurred, the location of the party or the name of the bar.

Coronavirus outbreak at Tigerland bars; if you visited one, state says to self-quarantine
Coronavirus outbreak at Tigerland bars; if you visited one, state says to self-quarantine
The announcement came on the same day that the state Department of Health confirmed that at least 100 patrons and staff members at multiple bars in the Tigerland area of Baton Rouge tested positive for the coronavirus this week. The department did not name the bars, but JL's Place, Reggie's, Fred's and The Chimes have all temporarily closed after their employees tested positive for the virus. As LSU claims they are ready to go into Phase 3 even as the state may put the brakes on.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:24 am New Orleans health officials have identified clusters of new coronavirus infections traced back to a graduation party and a large gathering at a bar outside Orleans Parish, the city announced late Friday.

City officials did not immediately respond to questions about how many infections were tied to the two events, when the gatherings occurred, the location of the party or the name of the bar.

The announcement came on the same day that the state Department of Health confirmed that at least 100 patrons and staff members at multiple bars in the Tigerland area of Baton Rouge tested positive for the coronavirus this week. The department did not name the bars, but JL's Place, Reggie's, Fred's and The Chimes have all temporarily closed after their employees tested positive for the virus. As LSU claims they are ready to go into Phase 3 even as the state may put the brakes on.
Unfortunately all it takes is one positive person and they can spread it to many.
A friend of mine recently decided not to attend a funeral over here in Covington. He told me 10 people that attended came down with Corona soon after. They were gathered in a small room and they had another room for food and refreshments. Most if not all of the people infected were above the age of 70. Of the 10 about 3 are now hospitalized. One is on a ventilator.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:52 am
Unfortunately all it takes is one positive person and they can spread it to many.
A friend of mine recently decided not to attend a funeral over here in Covington. He told me 10 people that attended came down with Corona soon after. They were gathered in a small room and they had another room for food and refreshments. Most if not all of the people infected were above the age of 70. Of the 10 about 3 are now hospitalized. One is on a ventilator.
That's horrible, TPS. Although nobody wants to get the virus, getting on a ventilator is extremely uncomfortable for the patient.

I read earlier that the average age of positive tests in the US is falling dramatically. I wonder if that's because more younger people are getting tested, or if something has changed.
wave97
Swell

Herd<Cull
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:46 amHerd<Cull
I checked my wave97->English dictionary and still have no idea what the heck that means!
MicMan
Swell

The virus doesn't care about your football season.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

Well, this is not a good sign. 30/115 test positive at LSU.

https://www.fox8live.com/2020/06/20/rep ... -autopilot
MicMan
Swell

There's some thought that it is not in a school's interests to expose its biggest donors, in most cases, 50+ years old, to the virus.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What an article! The various viewpoints from coaches and administrators and those whose jobs/compensation have nothing to do with wins and losses is incredible.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The virus will continue until it runs its course or a vaccine 💉 is developed. We have to just adjust our ways in living knowing it’s out there. I think the early testing of the players is a good thing. It’s actually probably better the more that get it now. The younger folks don’t have the issues the older folks face so those 30 LSU kids should be good to play come August. I remember as a kid when I got the chicken pox my mom had me intentionally expose my two sisters to it so that they would get it together and get over it by building an immunity.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:49 pm UCLA players say they don't trust Chip Kelly

damn...I'm shocked they can even count to three, much less pronounce "third"...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

Yahoo article of yesterday that in light of recent outbreaks @ Clemson & LSU, many ADs are now pessimistic for the possibility of a football season this year: https://sports.yahoo.com/will-there-be- ... 09082.html
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Funny as LSU's AD is more confident than ever.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Rat
Ripple

I would like to know where we stand with virus. Have not seen or heard anything, anywhere about it.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:56 am Funny as LSU's AD is more confident than ever.
Read the article. Like University Presidents, many AD's have their public statements but will tell you otherwise privately.

Many University Presidents question having on campus classes, opening dorms, exposing professors to the virus that asymptomatic students carry, and so on.

You had a very good point about kids testing positive now should build immunity and be good to go by the time practice starts. At the same time all of the other issues we've discussed as potential for not only the athletes but also the entire University communities to be endangered surface as real concerns in the article. I think the biggest fear is that someone with an un-diagnosed pre-existing condition gets the virus and dies.

The article also touches on why it would be easier for the NFL to play in a bubble than trying to imitate that with college kids.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I read the article. I also read what their AD said yesterday. The concerns have been there all along. Only time will tell.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Ran into strength coach Speer and his wife at the supermarket yesterday. I was wearing a super-old Tulane tee and he came over to say hello. I have always been impressed with how approachable the entire staff of Coach Fritz happen to be. That has not always been the case. Coach Dunleavy acted as if it was a great effort to nod hello to someone who took time to greet him.

Coach Speer says that it's a go for football season. I don't recall if he said that the first voluntary workout was this week or perhaps on Monday. In any case, he said that it's definitely business as usual. I suppose there's not much else you can expect a coach to say, but he said the words with conviction like he meant them. I didn't want to burden him with fan questions, but I could think of a lot I would like to have asked. I did confess that I had not purchased my season tickets and now here we are past the deadline. He asked me to keep in mind the ticket guarantee. Very nice fellow. Huge guy. Would like to have him on my side in any bar brawl.
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:35 pm Ran into strength coach Speer and his wife at the supermarket yesterday. I was wearing a super-old Tulane tee and he came over to say hello. I have always been impressed with how approachable the entire staff of Coach Fritz happen to be. That has not always been the case. Coach Dunleavy acted as if it was a great effort to nod hello to someone who took time to greet him.

Coach Speer says that it's a go for football season. I don't recall if he said that the first voluntary workout was this week or perhaps on Monday. In any case, he said that it's definitely business as usual. I suppose there's not much else you can expect a coach to say, but he said the words with conviction like he meant them. I didn't want to burden him with fan questions, but I could think of a lot I would like to have asked. I did confess that I had not purchased my season tickets and now here we are past the deadline. He asked me to keep in mind the ticket guarantee. Very nice fellow. Huge guy. Would like to have him on my side in any bar brawl.
And, MLB has just closed all of its training camps.🤷🏻‍♂️