2020 Football Season

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:21 pm

AAC to eliminate divisions expected for 2020 season
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... n-as-2020/

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
HoustonWave
Riptide

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:26 pm

That will immediately double every AAC school's travel budget. Not much of a solution, even if the NCAA grants the waiver.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Green Wave

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:41 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
That will immediately double every AAC school's travel budget. Not much of a solution, even if the NCAA grants the waiver.
Why? There's no discussion of playing every team every year. It might end up being the standard 8 conference games for all we know. And even if they go to 9 conference games, only half the teams have an additional road game. I don't get your math.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
HoustonWave
Riptide

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am

DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
Why? There's no discussion of playing every team every year. It might end up being the standard 8 conference games for all we know. And even if they go to 9 conference games, only half the teams have an additional road game. I don't get your math.
The math is based on playing approx 50% more East teams every year, in multiple sports. I haven’t calculated the exact mileage trade off, but can readily imagine a doubling of the travel dollars. And I doubt that one less school in the revenue-pot divisor is going to offset it.
DfromCT
Green Wave

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:20 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:13 am
DfromCT wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
The math is based on playing approx 50% more East teams every year, in multiple sports. I haven’t calculated the exact mileage trade off, but can readily imagine a doubling of the travel dollars. And I doubt that one less school in the revenue-pot divisor is going to offset it.
We will agree to disagree. I don't know that all of our sports teams play divisional schedules for conference games. They certainly do NOT in men's and women's basketball. I don't think it affects baseball either. Does swimming play in divisions? Volleyball?

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, the only sport this affects is football. I'll go back to my original response: Every other year we MIGHT have another road game.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

anEngineer
Surge

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:13 pm

This really stinks; it just makes it more of a free for all and uneven scheduling. I know in the past, Wichita St entertained thoughts of starting football. I wonder if they are still considering it or if they would actually be "encouraged" to do so.
OUG
Riptide

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:13 pm

During the football media day press conference several weeks ago, Dannen mentioned this and noted that Aresco was working with members to identify permanent rivals — “someone close geographically and another matchup that made sense.” (Something to that effect). I remembered this because he specifically mentioned Navy as a rival we were pushing to play every year.

If we get Navy and one of SMU/UH, I’ll be very happy.
DfromCT
Green Wave

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm

OUG wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:13 pm
During the football media day press conference several weeks ago, Dannen mentioned this and noted that Aresco was working with members to identify permanent rivals — “someone close geographically and another matchup that made sense.” (Something to that effect). I remembered this because he specifically mentioned Navy as a rival we were pushing to play every year.

If we get Navy and one of SMU/UH, I’ll be very happy.
I'd rather we get both SMU and UH and play Navy every other year. As much as it makes it easier for me to see the Wave in Annapolis, we could do without facing that offense and their chop blocks every year. Especially if we continue to play Army every couple of years.

All of this is predicated on the NCAA agreeing that the AAC can play a Championship game without having to play a 10 team conference schedule. You never know how the NCAA is going to rule, especially for a G5 conference that's trying to break through the "powers".

HoustonWave
Riptide

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:19 am

anEngineer wrote:
This really stinks; it just makes it more of a free for all and uneven scheduling. I know in the past, Wichita St entertained thoughts of starting football. I wonder if they are still considering it or if they would actually be "encouraged" to do so.
This would be the perfect time for Wichita St. to resurrect their football program. Charles Koch might even write a check to jump start the program.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:50 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
It’s for football only. You fly to every away game as is and flight costs are about the same no matter how far u travel. It will not be much if any added expense.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:57 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:50 pm
HoustonWave wrote:
It’s for football only. You fly to every away game as is and flight costs are about the same no matter how far u travel. It will not be much if any added expense.
I bet the net expense is actually less, since flying to Uconn is eliminated....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 pm

anEngineer wrote:
It guarantees your top two teams play in the championship game. I don’t see it as all that bad.
msdos
Swell

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:08 pm
anEngineer wrote:
It guarantees your top two teams play in the championship game. I don’t see it as all that bad.
and also keeps a team from claiming a division title when they weren't in the championship game
GreenLantern
Swell

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Let's give Mike Aresco the benefit of the doubt on this one and take a wait-and-see. He doesn't have a history of doing stupid things for the conference.
DfromCT
Green Wave

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:25 pm

msdos wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:22 pm
and also keeps a team from claiming a division title when they weren't in the championship game
Who did that? Tulane was NAMED co-division champions, lost a tiebreaker so we didn't get into the championship game.

You just love to $hit all over anything to do with Dannen and Tulane Athletics. You've become a troll on this site.

nawlinspete
Swell

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 pm

You heard it here first . There will be no 2020 football season at any level , Warner, HS , college or pro .

Notwithstanding what some are saying, the problems will persist for a long , long time .
Once and Again, With Smart Choices and a Bit Of Patience
HoustonWave
Riptide

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:25 pm

I don't doubt that that is a distinct possibility. And even if they can start the season, it could be truncated by the C-19 second wave, probably late this year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:50 am

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Green Wave

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am

golfnut69 wrote:
stayin' in and stayin' safe
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/03 ... ng-version
CFN has us staying home!

I think if the season plays as "normal" as possible the 2020 team definitely wins 6 games and goes bowling.

HoustonWave
Riptide

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:13 pm

DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
CFN has us staying home!

I think if the season plays as "normal" as possible the 2020 team definitely wins 6 games and goes bowling.
Does the College Football News usually make predictions this far in advance? or are these predictions unusually early because of our "no sports" condition right now? I can't get too worried about what anyone predicts this far ahead, and am also confident that Willie and the Boys can get six wins next season.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:13 pm
DfromCT wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
CFN has us staying home!

Does the College Football News usually make predictions this far in advance? or are these predictions unusually early because of our "no sports" condition right now? I can't get too worried about what anyone predicts this far ahead, and am also confident that Willie and the Boys can get six wins next season.
I do not remeber them doing anything like this this far in advance...but boredom reigns thru out social media, and without spring games to cover, they are bored as all hell, and drinking cases of Corona ( for medicinal purposes only)
MicMan
Surge

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm

FYI, the T-P laid off Guerry Smith.
Bicoastalwave
Swell

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm

As much as his reporting was sometimes uneven, definitely appreciated the coverage and enjoyed reading all of his articles.
DfromCT
Green Wave

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 pm

MicMan wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 pm
FYI, the T-P laid off Guerry Smith.
That's a bummer. I hope he hooks up with the Crescent City Sports folks.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:55 pm

It's just temporary.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!