My biggest concern

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Jaxwave
Swell

Is that in an attempt to excel in the passing game, we lose our identity as a running team resulting in an mediocre offense caught in between philosophies. And that we find out that our QB excelled last year because we established the running game which caused lots of one on one man defense played against our WRs. Is he capable of carrying the team as a passer. We don’t know.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's a lot to be said for establishing the running game to open up the passing game. We've seen that with Fritz, though we'd all like our passing game to be MUCH more effective.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

maybe,...U establish the Pass to set up the Run....nah, that's f#@cking crazy...but just a thought
Last edited by golfnut69 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

let's look at one hell of a balanced offense...the Wishbone, it was 95 percent run...but you had 4 players who may run with the ball, even then, it was a "spread offense' simply becasue the players were "spread" at the time of the give or pitch ...the D had to defend the middle of the field, "the give" ....and the sidelines, "the pitch".......all the BS about "balance" is just that, BS....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll still run the ball. EVERYONE knows that RB is our deepest position. What we will see is also their ability to catch the ball and allowed to use their abilities in space. What we don't do is only throw the ball when it's predictable. So both our running and passing games should be improved.

Mods- this should be merged into the game thread.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This thread isn't specific to any one game. If it's to be merged, it should go in the 2019 season or fall camp threads. But there's no reason for it not to stand on it's own.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aegis
High Tide

Really! You should watch a game or two first.
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 am let's look at one hell of a balanced offense...the Wishbone, it was 95 percent run...but you had 4 players who may run with the ball, even then, it was a "spread offense' simply becasue the players were "spread" at the time of the give or pitch ...the D had to defend the middle of the field, "the give" ....and the sidelines, "the pitch".......all the BS about "balance" is just that, BS....
Good luck recruiting QB, OL WR & your defense is effected from playing against the bone in practice
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:03 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:13 am let's look at one hell of a balanced offense...the Wishbone, it was 95 percent run...but you had 4 players who may run with the ball, even then, it was a "spread offense' simply becasue the players were "spread" at the time of the give or pitch ...the D had to defend the middle of the field, "the give" ....and the sidelines, "the pitch".......all the BS about "balance" is just that, BS....
Good luck recruiting QB, OL WR & your defense is effected from playing against the bone in practice
back in the day...many teams had zero issues recruiting the players needed to win national Championships, Texas and Oklahoma come to mind., but that aside,.I was making two points, there are several ways to "spread the field" and that "Balanced Offense" is pure BS....you do what you do best, and make the other team stop it.. in 2018 Washingto State beat Utah 28-24 and had ZERO yards rushing, so much for balanced Offense
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 am Is that in an attempt to excel in the passing game, we lose our identity as a running team resulting in an mediocre offense caught in between philosophies. And that we find out that our QB excelled last year because we established the running game which caused lots of one on one man defense played against our WRs. Is he capable of carrying the team as a passer. We don’t know.
Interesting thought. McMillan is better than some of there other QBs Tulane has had in recently memory, but he still isn't a good QB - even by G5 standards. It will fascinating to see if he has improved, and, if so, this year could be special.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:49 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 am Is that in an attempt to excel in the passing game, we lose our identity as a running team resulting in an mediocre offense caught in between philosophies. And that we find out that our QB excelled last year because we established the running game which caused lots of one on one man defense played against our WRs. Is he capable of carrying the team as a passer. We don’t know.
Interesting thought. McMillan is better than some of there other QBs Tulane has had in recently memory, but he still isn't a good QB - even by G5 standards. It will fascinating to see if he has improved, and, if so, this year could be special.
I think Fritz wants McMillian to manage the game, not have to win it...if he does, Tulane may win 8 games this season...by managing I mean good decsions and limited turn overs...let the RB's run and the WR's catch....take a sack and live for another down, or throw the ball away, it is jsut as good as a run for zero yards gained.....do not do stupid things or trying things you are not capable of..as "Dirty Harry" once said: "A man needs to know his limitations"
wave97
Swell

I understand your point, but Rich Rodriguez's impact on football has far outpaced Bill Yeoman or Emory Bellard. The smashmouth I formation of the 60's, 70's wasn't that much of a fundamental departure from the bone or veer.
BTW: The rpo was an outgrowth of the veer.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 pm I understand your point, but Rich Rodriguez's impact on football has far outpaced Bill Yeoman or Emory Bellard. The smashmouth I formation of the 60's, 70's wasn't that much of a fundamental departure from the bone or veer.
Rich Rod was innovative, but Mouse Davis, was running that offense at Portland State long before Rich Rod came along...... as Darryl Royal once said "Three things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad".... I am still a fan of the Veer, loved watching UH play, especially when they joined the SWC and not one team had the speed to keep up
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm
wave97 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 pm I understand your point, but Rich Rodriguez's impact on football has far outpaced Bill Yeoman or Emory Bellard. The smashmouth I formation of the 60's, 70's wasn't that much of a fundamental departure from the bone or veer.
Rich Rod was innovative, but Mouse Davis, was running that offense at Portland State long before Rich Rod came along...... as Darryl Royal once said "Three things can happen when you pass, and two of them are bad".... I am still a fan of the Veer, loved watching UH play, especially when they joined the SWC and not one team had the speed to keep up
The air-raid & rpo share some principles, but they're not the same. Eight man-to-man capable DB's/LB's is the death knell to the air raid. That's why it is not run in the SEC.
In 1989 A&M played 8th ranked Houston with Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware. 1st year A&M DC, Bob Davie went with a 2-9 scheme. Two DL spying Ware, one LB with 8 guys behind playing mostly man-to-man including safeties high. A&M shut the circus down on that day.
Last edited by wave97 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:06 am
The air-raid & rpo share some principles, but they're not the same. Eight man-to-man capable DB's/LB's is the death knell to the air raid. That's why it is not run in the SEC.
In 1989 8th ranked Houston played A&M with Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware. 1st year A&M DC, Bob Davie Davie went with a 2-9 scheme. Two DL spying Ware, one LB with 8 guys behind playing mostly man-to-man including a free safety high. A&M shut the circus down on that day.
A&M went 8-4 that year, their 2nd smallest margin of victory was 17-13 against UH in Malfunction Junction......they beat Baylor 14-11 in Waco
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

The "Athletic Department" has requested that all talk about the opening game be removed. It is interfering with the enthusiasm and preparations of the team!

Just Kidding!!
OUG
Riptide

In 1989 A&M played 8th ranked Houston with Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware. 1st year A&M DC, Bob Davie went with a 2-9 scheme. Two DL spying Ware, one LB with 8 guys behind playing mostly man-to-man including safeties high. A&M shut the circus down on that day.
Think you two are talking about two different UH offenses. UH popularized the Veer in the 60's/70's under Yeoman which was predominantly a running and short passing offense. After Yeoman left UH, Jack Pardee ran the run and shoot with Ware and Klingler which was sometimes called the Air Raid (although the term Air Raid typically belongs to a variation run by Hal Mumme and disciples).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

OUG wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:39 pm
Think you two are talking about two different UH offenses. UH popularized the Veer in the 60's/70's under Yeoman which was predominantly a running and short passing offense. After Yeoman left UH, Jack Pardee ran the run and shoot with Ware and Klingler which was sometimes called the Air Raid (although the term Air Raid typically belongs to a variation run by Hal Mumme and disciples).
Pardee ran the run n shoot because Mouse Davis was the OC for Pardee's Houston Gamblers with Jim Kelly as QB...John Jenkins was the UH OC, who learned the O from Mouse, he later became UH head coach
wave97
Swell

Yes, they are two....three different offenses (veer, air raid & rpo). All different on their own way.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:56 pm Yes, they are two....three different offenses (veer, air raid & rpo). All different on their own way.
UH joined the SWC in "76..terms of their admittance made then ineligible for any conference championships as the slow footed SWC teams needed a year to recruit some speed...in 76 UH lost only one SWC game, to Arkansas...beat the hell out of everyone else in the conference, beat Maryland in the bowl game...they did lose to Florida that year to go 10-2 regular season...UH then won three SWC championships in a row after that...if not for the ineligibility, they would have won 4 in a row .....I won lots of money betting on UH that first SWC season, especially from A&M and UT fans