the Underdog game by game preview

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Hopefully Hall will have a significant impact on improving our recent QB woes.

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Something I've found strange for quite a few years now: LSU hasn't had any great QB play for a long time, yet they keep turning out not just good, but great NFL wide receivers.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:06 am Something I've found strange for quite a few years now: LSU hasn't had any great QB play for a long time, yet they keep turning out not just good, but great NFL wide receivers.
Given LSU's general reliance on Louisiana high school recruit, I believe it's just a reflection of how Louisiana football is played at the highest levels (i.e. Louisiana QB play is not like Texas QB play).
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Lindsey Scott will be available next year :lol:

Either Keon Howard or McMillan will get the job done. We have some depth there. One practice report with a newly implemented offense facing off against a top 10 Dline probably shouldnt be a cause for concern. They also have had another two weeks of reps and practice to continue smoothing out issues.

MCM is a winner with great instincts. All i know is he's 5-1 .
anEngineer
Riptide

Even though the Lindsey Scott thing is a worthy joke, imagine the effect he may have had on where we are now. For better or worse, our inability to get him or other QBs like him, led to the removal of Coach Ruse and a new direction for the offense. If we get Scott, I think we all agree that the first 2 years of Fritz are more productive, then maybe we attract more QBs like that and we sort of have a program. We are hopeful for what we have now but still unsure. Fortunately, defense is solid and can always make up for some trial and error on offense.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I'm in the "Show Me" school of seeing that we have a legit D1 QB on the roster. 51% completion rates and balls floating through the air like butterflies didn't Show Me anything last season. I hope and pray that a good deal of the ineffectiveness was due to our QB only having 5 days of practice before last season started. But Show Me!

Remember this time last August Fritz was talking about Banks playing on Sundays!!!!!!!
Ruski
Swell

Crazy butterfly effect ->

Lindsey Scott doesn't join Tulane -> Scott Ruse is fired -> Will Hall is hired -> Tulane with 2 seasons of 8+ wins -> Fitz is hired away -> Hall is retained as HC, learning from failures of the past -> Hall continues success of Fitz and Tulane becomes a perennial power along with Houston/Memphis -> Tulane gets a bid to Big12

:lol: :lol: :lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:06 am Something I've found strange for quite a few years now: LSU hasn't had any great QB play for a long time, yet they keep turning out not just good, but great NFL wide receivers.
Given LSU's general reliance on Louisiana high school recruit, I believe it's just a reflection of how Louisiana football is played at the highest levels (i.e. Louisiana QB play is not like Texas QB play).
Except they don't rely primarily on Louisiana recruiting. They've been run heavy because that's what their coaches wanted to do. O has promised once again to pass more. It's believable this time because of the hire of Brady from the Saints. Only time will tell.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:11 pm Even though the Lindsey Scott thing is a worthy joke, imagine the effect he may have had on where we are now. For better or worse, our inability to get him or other QBs like him, led to the removal of Coach Ruse and a new direction for the offense. If we get Scott, I think we all agree that the first 2 years of Fritz are more productive, then maybe we attract more QBs like that and we sort of have a program. We are hopeful for what we have now but still unsure. Fortunately, defense is solid and can always make up for some trial and error on offense.
We'll never know the effect he would have had if we got him but he's never rose up the depth chart at any D-1 school he's been at. It didn't appear the WF offense was going to be successful at this level no matter who he may have gotten. It wasn't fooling anybody and teams had the athletes to handle it. We can certainly have a program with Hall's offense. We might be unsure of this offense but we are sure the previous offense wasn't going to lead us to success. I think most would agree we are happy to be moving on from it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:04 pm
Except they don't rely primarily on Louisiana recruiting. They've been run heavy because that's what their coaches wanted to do. O has promised once again to pass more. It's believable this time because of the hire of Brady from the Saints. Only time will tell.
I may have miscounted, but It looks like lsu has a total of 45 players from out of state
http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.db ... PSID=27812
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ruski wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm Crazy butterfly effect ->

Lindsey Scott doesn't join Tulane -> Scott Ruse is fired -> Will Hall is hired -> Tulane with 2 seasons of 8+ wins -> Fitz is hired away -> Hall is retained as HC, learning from failures of the past -> Hall continues success of Fitz and Tulane becomes a perennial power along with Houston/Memphis -> Tulane gets a bid to Big12

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If that butterfly flitters by, I will personally thank Lindsey Scott, and nominate him for inclusion in the Tulane Hall Of Fame. 🤩🤩🤩
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Given LSU's general reliance on Louisiana high school recruiting, I believe it's just a reflection of how Louisiana football is played at the highest levels (i.e. Louisiana QB play is not like Texas QB play).
I may have miscounted, but It looks like lsu has a total of 45 players from out of state
http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.db ... PSID=27812
LSU wouldn't be what it is today if it didn't dominate Louisiana recruiting, and it's certainly not going to try to reimagine football for incoming players. Imagine what Florida would be if it didn't dominate Florida, Texas if it didn't dominate Texas, etc.

The Big 12 plays a certain kind of football because Texas high schools play a certain kind of football, and that kind of football is different than what is played in Louisiana or Georgia.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It dominates Louisiana recruiting of course but it recruits at least half of it's scholarship players from out of state. The numbers are what they are.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 am It dominates Louisiana recruiting of course but it recruits at least half of it's scholarship players from out of state. The numbers are what they are.
Exactly. It sounds like some people are interpreting that LSU "rel(ies) primarily on Louisiana recruiting" to mean that LSU only recruits Louisiana players. That's not what that means.

If there was any doubt of that, ask anyone to tell you (1) the last time that Louisiana wasn't a top 10 recruiting state for FBS players and (2) the last time that LSU didn't sign at least 10+ of the top 20 players from that state other than the class that signed immediately after Les Miles was fired. The latter is particularly important, as blue chip recruits in any given class from Louisiana usually stop in the mid/late teens, and, as a result, that means that LSU is generally taking a very large amount of the blue chips from Louisiana every year. Because - as everyone knows - it primarily relies on getting those players every year.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I missed this post. Moving past the inaccuracy of the first sentence, Louisiana struggles to produce quality QBs and offensive linemen. The below article goes into detail.

"Louisiana did not produce a major college quarterback signee in 2010 or 2012. The state cranked out just nine Power 5 QBs in an eight-year span from 2008-15 — and outside of Dak Prescott of Mississippi State and an up-and-down career of Jordan Jefferson at LSU, those QBs struggled in college. Three transferred, three moved positions and one was a career backup."

"That’s starting to change. As Louisiana high schools shift toward the spread offense, Weiner said, the state is churning out a new kind of player: the dual-threat quarterback."

"Over the past decade (2008-17), Louisiana ranks in the top 10 in the United States in producing major college running backs, receivers and defensive backs — as well as defensive linemen. Louisiana has generated the fifth-most Power 5 wideouts and DBs, a fact made more impressive given the state's population: 25th of 50."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 88855.html

The icing on the cake in the article is that LSU has averaged signing 13.2 Louisiana recruits per year over the last 10 signing classes, which, even if the overwhelming majority of those players were not blue chips (which is certainly not the case as indicated in the above post), the total number of Louisiana players would still be greater than 50% of the class that LSU is able to sign. Primarily relies (insert shrug emoji).

Basically, people can have their own opinion, but that doesn't make them right and their opinion can be shown to not be correct. LSU's offense has been built around RBs since that is what the Louisiana high schools are good at producing and the Louisiana high schools are not good at producing QBs (Tulane has seen that itself - several times over). That's a factual statement, and, given that LSU dominates the blue chip players in each Louisiana class, it's obvious that they are taking what the high schools provide and basing their offense off of it. That may change moving forward, but it is what it is.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am
winwave wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:37 am It dominates Louisiana recruiting of course but it recruits at least half of it's scholarship players from out of state. The numbers are what they are.
Exactly. It sounds like some people are interpreting that LSU "rel(ies) primarily on Louisiana recruiting" to mean that LSU only recruits Louisiana players. That's not what that means.

If there was any doubt of that, ask anyone to tell you (1) the last time that Louisiana wasn't a top 10 recruiting state for FBS players and (2) the last time that LSU didn't sign at least 10+ of the top 20 players from that state other than the class that signed immediately after Les Miles was fired. The latter is particularly important, as blue chip recruits in any given class from Louisiana usually stop in the mid/late teens, and, as a result, that means that LSU is generally taking a very large amount of the blue chips from Louisiana every year. Because - as everyone knows - it primarily relies on getting those players every year.
Doesn't change the fact that they recruit half or more of their roster from other states and they recruit them because they are blue chippers.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:31 am
I missed this post. Moving past the inaccuracy of the first sentence, Louisiana struggles to produce quality QBs and offensive linemen. The below article goes into detail.

"Louisiana did not produce a major college quarterback signee in 2010 or 2012. The state cranked out just nine Power 5 QBs in an eight-year span from 2008-15 — and outside of Dak Prescott of Mississippi State and an up-and-down career of Jordan Jefferson at LSU, those QBs struggled in college. Three transferred, three moved positions and one was a career backup."

"That’s starting to change. As Louisiana high schools shift toward the spread offense, Weiner said, the state is churning out a new kind of player: the dual-threat quarterback."

"Over the past decade (2008-17), Louisiana ranks in the top 10 in the United States in producing major college running backs, receivers and defensive backs — as well as defensive linemen. Louisiana has generated the fifth-most Power 5 wideouts and DBs, a fact made more impressive given the state's population: 25th of 50."

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 88855.html

The icing on the cake in the article is that LSU has averaged signing 13.2 Louisiana recruits per year over the last 10 signing classes, which, even if the overwhelming majority of those players were not blue chips (which is certainly not the case as indicated in the above post), the total number of Louisiana players would still be greater than 50% of the class that LSU is able to sign. Primarily relies (insert shrug emoji).

Basically, people can have their own opinion, but that doesn't make them right and their opinion can be shown to not be correct. LSU's offense has been built around RBs since that is what the Louisiana high schools are good at producing and the Louisiana high schools are not good at producing QBs (Tulane has seen that itself - several times over). That's a factual statement, and, given that LSU dominates the blue chip players in each Louisiana class, it's obvious that they are taking what the high schools provide and basing their offense off of it. That may change moving forward, but it is what it is.
The first sentence was not inaccurate. Thus they still recruit half or more of their players from out of state including QB's. Louisiana produces an abundance of skill position players . So the QB's and the receivers have been there to throw the ball. Their coaches have just chosen till now not to do so. When using the average number of recruits that LSU signs you have to remember that it's only the last couple of years that the hard cap of 25 took hold. Before that they always signed a total over 25 using various methods.That article is two years old. Bottom line is currently they have more than half their players from out of state. That's a fact.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 pm Bet more. Much more
I really, really believe we're going to do well this year but, as I said before, I'm no gambler. I got caught up in my own enthusiasm when I made that bet. (I really don't like to gamble)
Up it. Sanity is restored.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:32 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 pm Bet more. Much more
I really, really believe we're going to do well this year but, as I said before, I'm no gambler. I got caught up in my own enthusiasm when I made that bet. (I really don't like to gamble)
Up it. Sanity is restored.
What has changed your mind, winwave?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The right focus is back.