the Underdog game by game preview

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

Oh well, it's been a long time since any prognosticator has picked the Wave to go 8-4 for a season. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's a good read, thanks for posting the link. I'm really thinking we can get to 8 wins this year, despite predicting 7-5. The offense is the big question mark, can it get going sooner rather than later? Is McMillan really a D1 QB? We'll see starting in two weeks!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
ajcalhoun
Swell

I just bet $180 to win $100 (9/5) that we would win more than 5.5 games in the regular season. I'm no gambler so I don't know if those odds are right but I feel comfortably that we'll win at least six games this year.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bet more. Much more
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:20 pm Bet more. Much more
I really, really believe we're going to do well this year but, as I said before, I'm no gambler. I got caught up in my own enthusiasm when I made that bet. (I really don't like to gamble)
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You know what. I felt confident of that when I responded. Now I've been contacted by others that Willie has had called out. I've been bullish on this season. Now I'm worried he's lost it. Stick with your original bet.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Ruski
Swell

I think it's a very fair assessment.

Looking at the scores:
(W) 34-30 FIU
(L) 17-41 Auburn
(W) 35-17 Missouri State
(L) 32-24 Houston
(W) 24-20 Army
(W) 38-10 UCONN
(L) 30-20 Memphis
(W) 28-17 Navy
(W) 30-23 Tulsa
(W) 31-28 Temple
(L) 43-21 UCF
(W) 31-17 SMU

Basically to get 8 wins we need to be pretty lucky/opportunistic, winning 3 tossup games (FIU, Army, Temple). On the other side of it he doesn't project our losses outside of Houston to be very close.

Very interesting to me that he sees us blowing out SMU but not Tulsa, Navy.

My question to you all, where do we rank if we're 8-4 with losses to 4 teams in the top25?

Memphis should go undefeated with their cupcake schedule, Houston is a big sexy question mark, Auburn will always get the bullshit overrated love from the media, and UCF will continue to be UCF.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am You know what. I felt confident of that when I responded. Now I've been contacted by others that Willie has had called out. I've been bullish on this season. Now I'm worried he's lost it. Stick with your original bet.
WW, can you elaborate a bit on why you are now worried?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 am I think it's a very fair assessment.

Looking at the scores:
(W) 34-30 FIU
(L) 17-41 Auburn
(W) 35-17 Missouri State
(L) 32-24 Houston
(W) 24-20 Army
(W) 38-10 UCONN
(L) 30-20 Memphis
(W) 28-17 Navy
(W) 30-23 Tulsa
(W) 31-28 Temple
(L) 43-21 UCF
(W) 31-17 SMU

Basically to get 8 wins we need to be pretty lucky/opportunistic, winning 3 tossup games (FIU, Army, Temple). On the other side of it he doesn't project our losses outside of Houston to be very close.

My question to you all, where do we rank if we're 8-4 with losses to 4 teams in the top25?

Memphis should go undefeated with their cupcake schedule, Houston is a big sexy question mark, Auburn will always get the bullshit overrated love from the media, and UCF will continue to be UCF.
8-4 we're unranked and playing in a bowl game right around Christmas.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Ruski wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 am My question to you all, where do we rank if we're 8-4 with losses to 4 teams in the top25
"Also receiving votes"
God Bless Everyone!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:36 am
Ruski wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:28 am My question to you all, where do we rank if we're 8-4 with losses to 4 teams in the top25
"Also receiving votes"
and Willie wil be the new coach at OU, when Riley takes over the DFW Cowboys
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Looking at the scores:
(W) 34-30 FIU
(L) 17-41 Auburn
(W) 35-17 Missouri State
(L) 32-24 Houston
(W) 24-20 Army
(W) 38-10 UCONN
(L) 30-20 Memphis
(W) 28-17 Navy
(W) 30-23 Tulsa
(W) 31-28 Temple
(L) 43-21 UCF
(W) 31-17 SMU

Some pundits also now looking at Army as a legit Top 20.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:15 am
winwave wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 am You know what. I felt confident of that when I responded. Now I've been contacted by others that Willie has had called out. I've been bullish on this season. Now I'm worried he's lost it. Stick with your original bet.
Willie's more focused on shutting down coverage of the team than coaching it.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:41 am
Wave755 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:15 am
Willie's more focused on shutting down coverage of the team than coaching it.
Barring the press and things like that, and substantially different than for last year?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Keeping this thread on topic. . . It was a thoughtful piece from the author. The @ army and @ temple predictions are bold, but I think we can all see it. I’m not exactly sure which of Memphis, houston, UCF, Temple, army we win, but I predict we take 2-3 of those and losing one we “should” win (Navy, Tulsa, FIU, Smu).
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Looking at the scores:
(W) 34-30 FIU
(L) 17-41 Auburn
(W) 35-17 Missouri State
(L) 32-24 Houston
(W) 24-20 Army
(W) 38-10 UCONN
(L) 30-20 Memphis
(W) 28-17 Navy
(W) 30-23 Tulsa
(W) 31-28 Temple
(L) 43-21 UCF
(W) 31-17 SMU

I think it's a very fair assessment as you say. But I hope our Defense is a little more stingy with the points against.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Looking at the scores:
(W) 34-30 FIU
(L) 17-41 Auburn
(W) 35-17 Missouri State
(L) 32-24 Houston
(W) 24-20 Army
(W) 38-10 UCONN
(L) 30-20 Memphis
(W) 28-17 Navy
(W) 30-23 Tulsa
(W) 31-28 Temple
(L) 43-21 UCF
(W) 31-17 SMU

An 8-4 Tulane would not even be in the receiving votes section of the AP poll at the end of the regular season. If there is any doubt, look at who was there in 2018 (pre bowl record) - Utah State (10-2) Cincinnati (10-2), UAB (10-3), and Troy (10-2). Essentially, 10 wins was the floor for consideration for the receiving votes category for G5 teams. If Tulane defeated Auburn and finished 9-3, it may be able to get into that category during that pre-bowl AP poll.

It’s hard to call Memphis’ schedule a “cupcake schedule”. Ole Miss is not a threat for the top 25, but it shouldn’t be overlooked.

It’s also hard to call BS on the love for Auburn. They won the SEC in 2017 and went 8-5 last season with wins over Washington, Texas A&M, and a blowout over Purdue. They lost their QB from last season, but they recruit at a high level so it won’t be as bad as it otherwise could be.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Without giving away too much information, what did those that contacted you say?
anEngineer
Riptide

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 am
Without giving away too much information, what did those that contacted you say?
Now we have at least 2 threads full of this meaningless nonsense. Can't we confine it to 1 thread so the people who are looking for interesting discussion only have 1 thread to ignore?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Winwave's scrimmage recap will have ZERO affect on our season. The Coaching staff is way too paranoid about giving away information that's already available elsewhere. What, are we going to lose to FIU because they read that our passing game is still not where it should be? And they would not know that had it not been part of his post on this board? Get real. If that's the reason we lose to FIU, it means FIU's coaching staff WAY out-coached our coaches.

And I do agree, we've wasted too much time discussing their paranoid reaction to his recap.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:20 am Winwave's scrimmage recap will have ZERO affect on our season. The Coaching staff is way to paranoid about giving away information that's already available elsewhere. What are we going to lose to FIU because they read that our passing game is still not where it should be? And they would not know that had it not been part of his post on this board? Get real.

And I do agree, we've wasted too much time discussing their paranoid reaction to his recap.
Ah gotcha.

McMillan isn't a great passer and mediocre QB play is always part of the reason since at least 2013 that Tulane never quite reaches the level where the optimists on this board believe that it should be. However, this is no secret to anyone and it wasn't going to significantly change in one offseason even with a new offense (unless Kendal Briles was brought in as OC, but I digress).

2018 passing stats for Tulane (for players that attempted more than 10 passes):
McMillan - 51.3% accuracy, 1304 yds, 8.5 Y/A, 10 TD and 4 INT
Banks - 51.8% accuracy, 1074 yds, 7.7 Y/A, 5 TD and 2 INT

That's not scaring any mediocre secondaries.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

It's been a while since we had a legitimate D1 QB. Tanner had the arm but not the head to be a real leader. Going back we had much better QB play from Lester Ricard, JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey and Shaun King. But that's a long time ago now. We need to start getting that caliber of QB play if we're going to contend for AAC titles. Our competition is getting a whole lot more out of the most important position on the field.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 am It's been a while since we had a legitimate D1 QB. Tanner had the arm but not the head to be a real leader. Going back we had much better QB play from Lester Ricard, JP Losman, Patrick Ramsey and Shaun King. But that's a long time ago now. We need to start getting that caliber of QB play if we're going to contend for AAC titles. Our competition is getting a whole lot more out of the most important position on the field.
Agreed. I think Tulane is heading in the right direction with P5 transfers, but it needs to start targeting transfers from P5s with good QB play (and not LSU). Maybe someone from the Big 12? Given TCU has 5 potentially viable QBs, at least one of them will certainly transfer so maybe Tulane could target whoever transfers first.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:20 am Winwave's scrimmage recap will have ZERO affect on our season. The Coaching staff is way too paranoid about giving away information that's already available elsewhere. What, are we going to lose to FIU because they read that our passing game is still not where it should be? And they would not know that had it not been part of his post on this board? Get real. If that's the reason we lose to FIU, it means FIU's coaching staff WAY out-coached our coaches.

+1,000. We only lose to FIU because we aren't as ready to execute as they are--in other words, we get outcoached.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana