Justin Campbell denied Admission

Talk about the latest recruits here.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes. What a disaster for our coaches. This story isn’t over. More to come.
Now that it’s public may need to move some of my posts from Eddie Smith to here. I’ve been holding this quiet for a week.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Yet another self inflicted wound by Tulane to the Athletics Department. Doesn't anyone know how bad this looks and hurts our recruiting?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DrBox
Riptide

Why was he denied admission.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DrBox wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:31 pm Why was he denied admission.
Test score above NCAA below Tulane. I can’t really go beyond that. Just imagine you sign in Nov 2018 and you’re told all is good and you find out two weeks before school you’re denied.
This isn’t over more to come. But he’ll not be attending Tulane.
Sad thing any potential California pipeline is now closed. Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see this litigated to get to the bottom of why this happened.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ahhh...the old "we Screwed up, but you get F#@ked"...routine
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

Do you really believe this ever happens in basketball or football?
Jewett gets no support. I feel sorry for the guy.
Career killer job baseball has become.
greenie78
Riptide

I was worried this was about football for a second. Since it's baseball, IDGAF.
Show Me
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:16 am I was worried this was about football for a second. Since it's baseball, IDGAF.
I support and buy tickets to all sports. So IDoGAF.
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:25 pm
Test score above NCAA below Tulane. I can’t really go beyond that. Just imagine you sign in Nov 2018 and you’re told all is good and you find out two weeks before school you’re denied.
Sad thing any potential California pipeline is now closed. Wouldn’t at all be surprised to see this litigated to get to the bottom of why this happened.
TPS, what are score requirements for a baseball player for Tulane?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

This is pathetic. U r utilizing so much of Tulane’s small amount of athletic space on baseball. Either all in or all out. Currently baseball seems to be stuck in purgatory.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We've been told many times by many different posters on this forum that Tulane now accepts athletes at the same NCAA minimum standards all D1 schools are held to. Is that only true for certain sports now? Can we possibly put more obstacles to success in the way? WTF?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:20 pm
Scholarship players need only NCAA minimum of 18 ACT with exception. Non-Scholarship need at least a 27 for admission. Campbell was getting a big scholarship to come.
In the past we had a total of 25 exceptions at our coach knew ahead of time if he had one available. Once the request was made it was granted. We’ve been told that Tulane now admits NCAA minimum for any scholarship athlete today.
Here you have a player that turned down $750,000 because he was told he’d be accepted into Tulane. And it was our top recruit that’s a two way player. He can’t be replaced. Sad deal.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:58 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:20 pm
Scholarship players need only NCAA minimum of 18 ACT with exception. Non-Scholarship need at least a 27 for admission. Campbell was getting a big scholarship to come.
When Rick Jones was coach Tulane Athletics had a total of 25 exceptions at that time. Coach new ahead of time if he had one available. Once the request was made it was granted. We’ve been told that Tulane now admits NCAA minimum for any scholarship athlete today apparently that’s not the case.
Here you have a player that turned down $750,000 because he was told he’d be accepted into Tulane. That’s a big liability on someone’s part at Tulane. Either the person that said so or the person that denied admission. Either way both are Tulane people in official capacity. The biggest problem is the word is already out on the street in the baseball community we’ve lost a ton of credibility with this blunder. It can’t be allowed to happen again. And it was our top recruit that’s a two way player. He can’t be replaced. Sad deal.
So TPS, apparently we have a different rule for baseball? He qualified as a “scholarship athlete” under our rules, correct? We all know most of our football and basketball recruits don’t have a 27 or higher on the ACT?
greenie78
Riptide

Reading TPS’s last post was gut wrenching. My goodness, how is this allowed to happen, I feel bad for this kid. This sucks. Someone needs to publicly speak out on how this crap happened. Unacceptable. Unacceptable.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane is Tulane's worst enemy.
Wave755
Tsunami

🤔, and one more thing, I wonder if it’s too late for Aunt Becky and/or Felicity Huffman to help with this problem?
Jaxwave
Swell

If the kid turned down $750,000 to come to Tulane, then is told he doesn’t qualify, I’d be a Little worried about a lawsuit.
McWave
High Tide

All you Fitts supports, where is Fitts on this? Same ole same ole. Fitts is no different than Cowan the info here is correct. Forget about firing TJ, he will leave on his own when the chance happens. Good luck with your next hire. Have recruits sign and then tell them sorry u didn’t make the “Tulane” university college test score. That’s total bs. Students get in all the time without “Tulane” test scores.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Let's all take a step back here, unless there's something more that I'm not seeing. When you apply for admission to school, you're told yes or no. BUT (BIG BUT HERE), if I remember correctly doesn't that approval come BEFORE the student has actually finished all his classes? So is it POSSIBLE that he was told he would be accepted with his ACT and classes based on his transcript at the time, but when the final one came in (after HS graduation) it turned out there was some class he failed or didn't take or whatever. Don't the student and parents ALSO have some accountability to make sure the kid has the right qualifications OTHER than just the ACT score?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm Let's all take a step back here, unless there's something more that I'm not seeing. When you apply for admission to school, you're told yes or no. BUT (BIG BUT HERE), if I remember correctly doesn't that approval come BEFORE the student has actually finished all his classes? So is it POSSIBLE that he was told he would be accepted with his ACT and classes based on his transcript at the time, but when the final one came in (after HS graduation) it turned out there was some class he failed or didn't take or whatever. Don't the student and parents ALSO have some accountability to make sure the kid has the right qualifications OTHER than just the ACT score?
+1, TPS, this has to be about a lot more than an ACT score? Confidentiality rules may be preventing us from a better understanding for what has occurred?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What if he failed or dropped a class? Wouldn't you also assume that Tulane would let him make it up in summer school or do something else to get the credits needed? Most D1 programs would find a way to make it happen, as, apparently, OSU is doing.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:50 pm Let's all take a step back here, unless there's something more that I'm not seeing. When you apply for admission to school, you're told yes or no. BUT (BIG BUT HERE), if I remember correctly doesn't that approval come BEFORE the student has actually finished all his classes? So is it POSSIBLE that he was told he would be accepted with his ACT and classes based on his transcript at the time, but when the final one came in (after HS graduation) it turned out there was some class he failed or didn't take or whatever. Don't the student and parents ALSO have some accountability to make sure the kid has the right qualifications OTHER than just the ACT score?
It does seem there has to be more to it. However as to him having met the minimum requirements, score plus the core courses needed, OSU taking him shows he has both.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Awful. So perhaps the Tulane Model isn’t completely dead. I suspect this disaster could be the result of another admissions issue this year. I’ve been told that far more students accepted Tulane’s admission offers this year than ever before (our “yield” spiked up unexpectedly). There will be significantly more freshmen starting this fall than was planned. I wonder if this unforeseen development caused them to move the bar higher for those on the bubble? That’s no excuse for dumping on a star athlete in any sport—but that’s the way Tulane functions at times. Didn’t we have to rescind admissions to several “regular” students a couple years ago? Sounds like problems in the Admissions Office, that have now spilled into the Athletic Dept. Fitts need to personally dig into this one.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

All I will say is, I have it from very good sources that Campbell's transcripts didn't even arrive at Tulane until the very end of June. There is a deadline on when that transcript needed to be received.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson