Tulane vs LSU series home & home may be back

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Joe Alleva out probably the real reason.
https://crescentcitysports.com/sources- ... -stadiums/

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

looks like they try do some good work..somewhat surprised the Tulane logo is at the bottom of the Foundation info page
http://www.wallypontiffjr.org/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 pm Joe Alleva out probably the real reason.
note to Mrs Benson....donate the "Shrine' to Tulane baseball...or U may have one damn ugly POS next to your Saints facility
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

Only half back ; only playing once a year .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:11 pm Only half back ; only playing once a year .
Right but baseball doesn’t schedule more than a year out. Too early to tell. At least they’re coming back to Turchin. That never happens under Alleva.
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:11 pm Only half back ; only playing once a year .
And may only be for two years then rotation with other La teams starts back up.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Thing to do would be a weekend series before conference play. Rotate each year.
Tulane Class of 1981
NOLA Fan
Ripple

Very glad to see them playing each other again.
Let's take it one step at a time.
Remember, LSU doesn't need the RPI boost that a victory over Tulane gives them to get into a Regional............
As fans, let's be happy they are playing again going forward.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:46 am Thing to do would be a weekend series before conference play. Rotate each year.
Could also do a Fri-Sat at one school and Sun at the other, then reverse it the next season. That would be easy enough, and both schools get a game every year.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLA Fan
Ripple

"Thing to do would be a weekend series before conference play. Rotate each year."
First, as a fan of both schools, I'd love a weekend series, but........
Tulane is going to come up with a $300,000 guarantee to get LSU to come to New Orleans for a weekend & give up 3 games at the Box?
Do the math: 10K season tickets at let's low ball it & say $12 per seat is $120K times 3 games or $360K plus at the Box. Tulane would have to charge at least $30 to $40 per game to break even. That is major league prices & would not be fair to fans of either school.
Tulane wouldn't give up that money & neither should LSU.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:17 am
tpstulane wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:46 am Thing to do would be a weekend series before conference play. Rotate each year.
Could also do a Fri-Sat at one school and Sun at the other, then reverse it the next season. That would be easy enough, and both schools get a game every year.
Yes. That would work also.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is what I have been posting for years. One game at both schools and one game at The Shrine on Airline.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:53 am
This is what I have been posting for years. One game at both schools and one game at The Shrine on Airline.
[/quote

Help...what is going to happen to the Shrine once the 'cakes are gone...I heard it is going to be a soccer stadium
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 pm Joe Alleva out probably the real reason.
[/qu

FOOTBALL drives the bus . Until we and LSU have a permanent resumption of annual games nothing else matters .

This is our AD's job number one .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:52 am
winwave wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:53 am
[/quote

Help...what is going to happen to the Shrine once the 'cakes are gone...I heard it is going to be a soccer stadium
There is a group looking to bring a Double A team here. It may get used for soccer but it will remain a baseball stadium.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Even with the new AD, the idea that LSU would do a yearly weekend series with TU is absurd.
The best you can hope for is the continued home and home midweek. They are making so much money at the Box and their fans do not care about TU.
TU built this hole. LSU gains nothing playing TU. Nostalgia carries only so far. Branding and finances, LSU baseball is bigger than bball. They kill.
Until TU baseball figures out how to make the dam regional consistently, getting home and home every other year with LSU might be the best we can hope for. The closing of the shrine on airline has actually been a big bonus for us.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Shrine on airline, btw, is an absolute public investment mess. Should never have been built. Should have gone on the MS waterfront west of the convention center. No vision.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:58 pm Shrine on airline, btw, is an absolute public investment mess. Should never have been built. Should have gone on the MS waterfront west of the convention center. No vision.
sounds familiar....there was once a minor legue team looking for a home, they approched Austin, Tx about building a stadium..the Public officials laughed at the Ryan family...the city of Round Rock TX offered the land...and the "Express" was born...now one of the largest convention and hotel centers in Texas is being constructed across the road from the baseball stadium to take biz away from Austin.....
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:58 pm Shrine on airline, btw, is an absolute public investment mess. Should never have been built. Should have gone on the MS waterfront west of the convention center. No vision.
I disagree. Baseball is supported by families, mostly from the suburbs. That's why attendance increased from 1500/gm to 9K/gm when they first moved from UNO to Zephyr. A lot of those people aren't going to take their kids into NOLA on a weekday evening, just like they didn't go to UNO. The issue is, and always has been, the product on the field. When they were winning in the early years, and also when they were the minor league affiliate of the Astros, they were very successful. Lots of losing seasons, poor parent clubs (Mets, Nats, Marlins) and (most recently) lack of local ownership is what doomed them.

Now, if there was a reasonable possibility that they might eventually get a major league team, then I'd say the riverfront would make sense, but not in this case.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:49 pm Even with the new AD, the idea that LSU would do a yearly weekend series with TU is absurd.
The best you can hope for is the continued home and home midweek. They are making so much money at the Box and their fans do not care about TU.
TU built this hole. LSU gains nothing playing TU. Nostalgia carries only so far. Branding and finances, LSU baseball is bigger than bball. They kill.
Until TU baseball figures out how to make the dam regional consistently, getting home and home every other year with LSU might be the best we can hope for. The closing of the shrine on airline has actually been a big bonus for us.
You probably weren’t around when Tulane vs LSU in the Superdome drew over 26,000 for a baseball game. If Dannen hires the right coach next year the interest could come back somewhat. But as for the last few years I couldn’t agree more with your assessment.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

LSU announced today it will be played in Baton Rouge and not in Metairie on Airline.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:54 pm LSU announced today it will be played in Baton Rouge and not in Metairie on Airline.
...and there it is. If Troy has any guts he should just decline the game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLA Fan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 am "Thing to do would be a weekend series before conference play. Rotate each year."
Tulane is going to come up with a $300,000 guarantee to get LSU to come to New Orleans for a weekend & give up 3 games at the Box?
Do the math: 10K season tickets at let's low ball it & say $12 per seat is $120K times 3 games or $360K plus at the Box. Tulane would have to charge at least $30 to $40 per game to break even. That is major league prices & would not be fair to fans of either school.
That's just LSU BS.

This is a rivalry that outdates anyone on this board. The two teams should play, even if it's a mid-week game at each stadium, twice a year.

And LSU still owes Tulane a home football game that we have NO REASON to play in the dome. Now, if LSU wanted to resume a yearly football game, after they visit Yulman, I'd have no problem with playing them in the Dome on Thanksgiving every other year and in Red Stick every other year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 pm
NOLA Fan wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 am "Thing to do would be a weekend series before conference play. Rotate each year."
That's just LSU BS.

This is a rivalry that outdates anyone on this board. The two teams should play, even if it's a mid-week game at each stadium, twice a year.

And LSU still owes Tulane a home football game that we have NO REASON to play in the dome. Now, if LSU wanted to resume a yearly football game, after they visit Yulman, I'd have no problem with playing them in the Dome on Thanksgiving every other year and in Red Stick every other year.
Current, LSU athletics does not care about history, tradition or any sentimental aspects of college sports. They care about bottom line $$, end of story. This is a school facing academic issues and a stagnant educational quality, yet they spent $28mm for a new Fball operations facility.
Let that sink in. Oh its donor money, ya donors have choices, they are not forced to give to fball. Frankly I do not have the LSU hate that many on this site carry, however, TU should cut the cord with them. There is no value playing by their rules. Tulane should stand up and say no more. We are not going to be played.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 pm
DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:02 pm
That's just LSU BS.

Current, LSU athletics does not care about history, tradition or any sentimental aspects of college sports. They care about bottom line $$, end of story. This is a school facing academic issues and a stagnant educational quality, yet they spent $28mm for a new Fball operations facility.
Let that sink in. Oh its donor money, ya donors have choices, they are not forced to give to fball. Frankly I do not have the LSU hate that many on this site carry, however, TU should cut the cord with them. There is no value playing by their rules.
One of the reasons you don't care about the rivalry is that you weren't around when we played LSU EVERY YEAR. Yes, Tulane was on the short end of the stick more often than not, but 48-7 and 31-28 my Frosh and Sophomore years was something I will never forget. And their redneck fans made it that much more enjoyable!

Just because some fans think we should "cut the cord" doesn't mean the natural rivalry will go away. It's the state flagship school versus the in-state private school (that was once the University of Louisiana). And playing every Thanksgiving was a HUGE game for both. If we were to resume playing them on an annual basis, it would help build the fan base that, lets be frank, is tiny right now. There are folks in the greater New Orleans area that would love to root against LSU.

I'd rather not play them in baseball and play yearly in football. And if we only win every so often, so be it. Football matters 1,000,000 % more than baseball.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V