Line Closing Tulane 3 pts. > FIU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Spread opens Wave 3 pts. > FIU (Rotation nos. 137-138 for Vegas Sheet) http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

O/U 55.5 pts.

This one reminds me of the Cure Bowl where the spread closed the Wave only 3 pts. > ULALA. We will be sky-high for our home opener and seeking revenge for the 23 to 10 loss to FIU in 2017 @ Miami. And, with Will Hall as OC Butch Davis will be going up against a new Wave offense for this game, not the Doug Ruse offense of 2017. I think we beat this CUSA team going away, lay the 3 points. :thumbup:
Last edited by Wave755 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We shouldnt forget how much talent butch davis has brought to fiu including some 4 star players. Being in florida with low admissions standards is a hell of a drug.

With that being said i dont think the team has forgotten being embarrassed at their POS stadium with that DJ playing (which i have never seen before). Being at home with revenge on their mind and a competent offensive coordinator will be the difference. Wave rolls by 10
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:39 am We shouldnt forget how much talent butch davis has brought to fiu including some 4 star players. Being in florida with low admissions standards is a hell of a drug.

With that being said i dont think the team has forgotten being embarrassed at their POS stadium with that DJ playing (which i have never seen before). Being at home with revenge on their mind and a competent offensive coordinator will be the difference. Wave rolls by 10
At the end of last season Sagarin had us @ 7-6 ranked 86 & FIU @ 9-4 ranked 99. Under Sagarin's formula with homefield advantage we would have been a little over a 5 point favorite. That was last year. I cant wait to see what a Will Hall offense looks like for the Wave and how our D-line does against these guys.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:08 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:39 am We shouldnt forget how much talent butch davis has brought to fiu including some 4 star players. Being in florida with low admissions standards is a hell of a drug.

At the end of last season Sagarin had us @ 7-6 ranked 86 & FIU @ 9-4 ranked 99. Under Sagarin's formula with homefield advantage we would have been a little over a 5 point favorite. That was last year. I cant wait to see what a Will Hall offense looks like for the Wave and how our D-line does against these guys.
This year, many publications have FIU ranked a few spots higher than Tulane.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/06 ... iew-2019/2

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/06 ... iew-2019/2

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... eamratings

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... s-ranking/

All of these preseason polls mean nothing. The CBS one, in particular, I think is ludicrous. They have FIU 30 spots above our Wave. They also have Army in the top 20.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

If this were a neutral site game, it would be a "pick it" at this point....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:09 pm If this were a neutral site game, it would be a "pick it" at this point....
Or if we were playing on the road it would be a FIU -3 game.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:16 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:09 pm If this were a neutral site game, it would be a "pick it" at this point....
U, sir are correct.....this is an important game, not only for Player confidence, but public perception, not only in Louisiana, but across the conference...a double digit win and u will get some people to take notice.......the AU game is huge, do i think TU can win, no..but I do think they can keep it much closer than many think, and if they do, that perceptiion maybe more important than beating FIU......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm
U, sir are correct.....this is an important game, not only for Player confidence, but public perception, not only in Louisiana, but across the conference...a double digit win and u will get some people to take notice.......the AU game is huge, do i think TU can win, no..but I do think they can keep it much closer than many think, and if they do, that perceptiion maybe more important than beating FIU......
I think to have the kind of season that sets a statement that we've truly turned the corner, we need to win the FIU game and be very competitive at Auburn. We really need 8 wins, 7-5 or 6-6 is still mediocre, IMHO. And I think if the offense is improved as much as most of us expect, we can get there or even to 9 wins. But we need to see it first. Last year didn't "Show Me".

It's time for this program to step up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad to see we've come around to needing at least 8 wins this season. Hopefully we get 10 or more with the only losses being truly competitive games.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

We are going to give FIU a beating and show Louisiana that we aren't F'n around this year. We are a very dangerous team fellas. FIU js going to feel it in week 1. FIU has wins over scrubs under Butch and losses to real teams. We are a real contender this year.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:12 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm
I think to have the kind of season that sets a statement that we've truly turned the corner, we need to win the FIU game and be very competitive at Auburn. We really need 8 wins, 7-5 or 6-6 is still mediocre, IMHO. And I think if the offense is improved as much as most of us expect, we can get there or even to 9 wins. But we need to see it first. Last year didn't "Show Me".

It's time for this program to step up.
+1, I believe in 2018 the only teams FIU beat with winner records were Middle Tenn 24 to 21 playing @ Miami and then Toledo 35 to 33 in the Nassau Bahamas Bowl? No surprise that even though 9-4 for 2018 Sagarin still ranked FIU only 99 for season’s end. We should win this game; I am confident McMillan will not go 5/16 for 36 yards on 8/29 like we did for passing against FIU in 2017.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree. Our staff won't be so conservative and throw it only 16 times .
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:17 am I agree. Our staff won't be so conservative and throw it only 16 times .
Actually, we had a “sixth completion” for the 2017 game against FIU, more commonly called an “interception.” :D
greenie78
Riptide

Phil Steele’s magazine has FIU ranked at 64 while Tulane is at 76.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:29 am Phil Steele’s magazine has FIU ranked at 64 while Tulane is at 76.
🤔Apparently Phil has real respect for CUSA teams that win 9 games against absolute nobodies - Alcorn St., Old Dominion, UMass, AR-Pine Bluff, Middle Tenn., W.Ky, UTSA, Charlotte & Toledo?
Bigschtick
Riptide

We really need to win this game to go bowling in my opinion.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
greenie78
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:42 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:29 am Phil Steele’s magazine has FIU ranked at 64 while Tulane is at 76.
🤔Apparently Phil has real respect for CUSA teams that win 9 games against absolute nobodies - Alcorn St., Old Dominion, UMass, AR-Pine Bluff, Middle Tenn., W.Ky, UTSA, Charlotte & Toledo?
Or maybe it’s a lack of respect for us. He doesn’t have the Wave going to a bowl game despite picking us 3rd in the West.
Wave755
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:49 pm
Or maybe it’s a lack of respect for us. He doesn’t have the Wave going to a bowl game despite picking us 3rd in the West.
Hopefully this will be the year he and other commentators/pundits learn to both respect and “fear the Wave”! :D :) :thumbup:
Eaglewave
Swell

Yup.. FCS SWAC wins and more wins over teams new to FBS is the name of FIU's game. It's amazing how many folks aroind here are showing them so much respect, but cry and complain when we ask for these "bowl friendly" schedules just like that. All Butch has done is racked up some easy wins to his resume to show the P5's that he still has some juice leftover if they still want him. We won't lose to them this time.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

There's no shortage of magazines picking FIU higher than Tulane. That's not just Phil Steele. They play as many FCS schools as we do (and considerably better FCS teams than we schedule), and their CUSA schedule is what it is. They won 9 games last season. Yes, the schedule is not nearly as difficult as an AAC schedule but 9 wins are two more than we had. As previously noted, played at a neutral site, this is a pick em game.

The "respect" we're showing FIU has as much to do with the fact that Tulane snuck into a lousy bowl game at 6-6 last year and we have yet to see how the new offense will look coming out of the gates. Does everyone really think the offense will be a juggernaut from game 1? I hope we blow them out, but expect some growing pains early on this season.
Wave755
Tsunami

Last year FAU beat FIU 49 to 14, a home game for FIU. FIU’s “big wins” for 2018 were over Middle Tennessee and Toledo, a win in each game by 3 points. FIU beat nobody really in 2018.

This game reminds of last year’s Cure Bowl against ‘Mighty ULALA.
greenie78
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 am Last year FAU beat FIU 49 to 14, a home game for FIU. FIU’s “big wins” for 2018 were over Middle Tennessee and Toledo, a win in each game by 3 points. FIU beat nobody really in 2018.

We only beat 3 teams with winning records last season and two of them were mediocre USF and ULOL.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 am Last year FAU beat FIU 49 to 14, a home game for FIU. FIU’s “big wins” for 2018 were over Middle Tennessee and Toledo, a win in each game by 3 points. FIU beat nobody really in 2018.

And two years ago we played FIU in Miami. They beat us by double digits. Since then they've won a bunch more games than we have and they're recruiting classes have been better than ours. Their coach is no slouch. Yet you think we just need to throw our players out on the field at Yulman and we're going to crush them. I'm only trying to be the voice of reason. This game reminds you of the POS bowl we played last year. It reminds me of the UAB game, another one that folks thought we'd walk onto the field and win.
greenie78
Riptide

Bigschtick wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:10 pm We really need to win this game to go bowling in my opinion.
Yeah we lose this game, we’re 5-7 at best.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 am

And two years ago we played FIU in Miami. They beat us by double digits. Since then they've won a bunch more games than we have and they're recruiting classes have been better than ours. Their coach is no slouch. Yet you think we just need to throw our players out on the field at Yulman and we're going to crush them. I'm only trying to be the voice of reason. This game reminds you of the POS bowl we played last year. It reminds me of the UAB game, another one that folks thought we'd walk onto the field and win.
These guys are “Paper Panthers,” and I think we are a lot closer to a FAU than the Toledo Rockets team they beat by 3 pts. in the “Nassau Bahamas Bowl.”

We will see who is right on Thursday, 8/29. :D