Line Closing Tulane 3 pts. > FIU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Tulane fans, be there, at Yulman, Thursday, 8/29 for a 7:00 p.m. kickoff and watch our Wave whip the FIU “Paper Panthers” like a rented mule! :D :) :thumbup:

Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 am
Eaglewave wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 am
Wave QB wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:20 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm My only concern is that we are Tulane. We've always laid the egg when it counted. So, let's just see what happens on 8/29. The most important game is the next one...
Best post on this thread!

As for Eaglewave, I don’t think he understands that we are Tulane and we are facing an opponent who just won 9 games! While he is bashing their quality of opponents, (and I am 100% in favor of bowl friendly schedules when you are trying showcase winning football after years of struggling), he isn’t realizing that the kids and coaches who FIU will have on the sidelines have built a winning culture. FIU is coming to New Orleans to win. This is far from a pencilled in win. We might play ok and still lose. FIU is a bowl bound team again this season.
I don’t think you understand how many tomato cans these guys have beaten in the past two seasons. FCS SWAC teams and transitioning FBS programs aren’t my idea of a G5 powerhouse. Yes, I understand that some programs (including us) should waterdown the schedule after consecutive losing season in order to get the fans taking about winning again, but that doesn’t mean that their programs should be feared by bowl bound opponents! We are a conference contender this year. FIU is a pretender. The Panthers are going to drown in New Orleans. This isn’t the same Tulane football program that is use to laying eggs: Mark my word, FIU is going to get beat!

So what? Besides 1998, we are who we are. Nobody fears us, and FIU will be here to play. I don’t understand your deal here. You post as if we are coming off a 10 win season that included a Liberty Bowl win or something. No, we are coming off a 7 win season that including a tough win vs the weakest ULL team in a bowl game in their school history. I am happy that we won and were in a bowl game, but we didn’t actually win the Peach Bowl and face a tomato can to begin this season. FIU is a G5 program that won 9 games last year, and beat us in our last meeting.

We are a G5 program that fights like hell for 6 wins. We better be ready instead of being arrogant after a Cure Bowl victory because Butch could give two craps about what we did yesterday. He wants Lane Kiffin to know that he isn’t stealing his 5th row seat in Florida behind FSU, UF, Miami and UCF. We have to play these guys like they are Florida or this could feel like South Alabama 2013 when the clock strikes 0.

This team will be better than the 2013 team and last year’s 7 win team. Our roster shows that we have the best depth chart we have had since 1998. FIU will be facing a AAC contender this year my man. After 3 years of battling and 4 years of building, Fritz is ready to put on a show on opening night with his program. Don’t say I didn’t say warn you!
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 am
This team will be better than the 2013 team and last year’s 7 win team. Our roster shows that we have the best depth chart we have had since 1998. FIU will be facing a AAC contender this year my man. After 3 years of battling and 4 years of building, Fritz is ready to put on a show on opening night with his program. Don’t say I didn’t say warn you!
I not only hope you are right, but I understand your optimism. The talent level on the team is much higher than it's been, and we should be running an offense that's better equipped to compete in the AAC. But this is Tulane, and Lucy often pulls the ball away as we're about to kick that big game winning kick. And last year did ZERO to show me we've turned any corner.

I have high expectations for this coming season, but have been disappointed too often to take any game for granted. And FIU, frankly, has done more with less the last few seasons than our Green Wave has.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am But this is Tulane, and Lucy often pulls the ball away as we're about to kick that big game winning kick.
Really? The ‘98 team went 12-0? The “loser” was Cowen not Tulane. The “problem” from 1998 to 2014 wasn’t the SuperDome or a “loser mentality” for Tulane but instead Cowen. In a mere 3 years Fitts, Dannen, Hertz & Fritz have taken Tulane back to competitive status. Good coaches always win at Tulane. This immutable rule for Tulane football will be proven again beginning on 8/29 for the 2019 season. :)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:42 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am But this is Tulane, and Lucy often pulls the ball away as we're about to kick that big game winning kick.
Really? The ‘98 team went 12-0? The “loser” was Cowen not Tulane. The “problem” from 1998 to 2014 wasn’t the SuperDome or a “loser mentality” for Tulane but instead Cowen. In a mere 3 years Fitts, Dannen, Hertz & Fritz have taken Tulane back to competitive status. Good coaches always win at Tulane. This immutable rule for Tulane football will be proven again beginning on 8/29 for the 2019 season. :)
To be fair, Tulane is still meh in terms of actual product in football, basketball, and baseball. It’s true Tulane made and won a bowl last year and defeated 2 bowl eligible teams in the regular season, but that’s not enough to say Tulane has turned a corner. If Tulane doesn’t produce this year, the improvement in recruiting will go away.

As for FIU itself, the best way to contextualize that game at this exact moment is to say that it would be “disappointing” if Tulane lost that game as opposed to it being “shocking” the way that it would be if Tulane lost to an FCS team or if Tulane defeated Auburn.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:02 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:42 am
To be fair, Tulane is still meh in terms of actual product in football, basketball, and baseball. It’s true Tulane made and won a bowl last year and defeated 2 bowl eligible teams in the regular season, but that’s not enough to say Tulane has turned a corner. If Tulane doesn’t produce this year, the improvement in recruiting will go away.

As for FIU itself, the best way to contextualize that game at this exact moment is to say that it would be “disappointing” if Tulane lost that game as opposed to it being “shocking” the way that it would be if Tulane lost to an FCS team or if Tulane defeated Auburn.
I agree 100%. Though I do think there's a few FCS teams (North Dakota State, for example) that would beat us most years, we just don't play the best FCS teams. But a good analogy: We will be disappointed with a loss to FIU, but nobody should be shocked. It's a game we need to win.
Wave755
Tsunami

In another year, we should be right back to where Cowen found us in 1998. True, we have to prove ourselves again to the local football fan community and to a whole new generation of football fans who have no memory of 1998. In 1998 our fan base was at about 25,000, by the end of Toledo in 2011 our fan base had fallen to about 3,500. Under CJ, hired because no one else wanted the job, we simply “spun our wheels” with the exception of ridiculous hype over a 30,000 “capacity” stadium.

We are entering year 4 of a 5 year process for turning our program around and becoming relevant again to Louisiana football fans.

And, last Saturday I went to the Palace Theatre in Elmwood, Jefferson Parish, to see Quentin Tarantino’s new film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” and actually saw 3 people at the theatre, no including me, wearing some form of Tulane apparel. Unheard of even 2 years ago! :D

Beating FIU should set the tone for this season, There is a fan base just waiting for us to simply prove, unlike in 1998, we are “serious this time.” True, FIU is a big game for this program. A big win over FIU and a competitive game against Auburn, will go a long way to reintroducing and making relevant again Tulane football for Louisiana. :)
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 am No, we are coming off a 7 win season that including a tough win vs the weakest ULL team in a bowl game in their school history. I am happy that we won and were in a bowl game, but we didn’t actually win the Peach Bowl and face a tomato can to begin this season.
WaveQB, against ULALA in the Cure Bowl we rushed for 337 yards to ULALA’s 84 yards? Bradwell all by himself rushed for 150 yards, almost twice as many yards as the entire ULALA team? And, I remember how you warned us ULALA might “humiliate” Tulane on national television for the Cure Bowl. :D True, our turnovers kept ULALA in the game. I wonder how much better the “Paper Panthers” are than the ULALA Cajuns? We only lose to FIU if we turn the ball over multiple times.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 pm
WaveQB, against ULALA in the Cure Bowl we rushed for 337 to ULALA’s 84 yards? Bradwell all by himself rushed for 150 yards, almost twice as many yards as the entire ULALA team? And, I remember how you warned us ULALA might “humiliate” Tulane on national television for the Cure Bowl. :D True, our turnovers kept ULALA in the game. I wonder how much better the “Paper Panthers” are than the ULALA Cajuns? We only lose to FIU if we turn the ball over multiple times.
What the hell does last year's game versus UL-L have to do with this year's season opener? Nothing.

UL-L was a Sunbelt runner up. FIU is a C-USA contender. Tulane was in a 3 way tie for division title. SO WHAT? It's a new season. Nothing that happened in our meaningless bowl game has any affect on what happens in a couple of weeks versus FIU.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:29 pm
WaveQB, against ULALA in the Cure Bowl we rushed for 337 to ULALA’s 84 yards? Bradwell all by himself rushed for 150 yards, almost twice as many yards as the entire ULALA team? And, I remember how you warned us ULALA might “humiliate” Tulane on national television for the Cure Bowl. :D True, our turnovers kept ULALA in the game. I wonder how much better the “Paper Panthers” are than the ULALA Cajuns? We only lose to FIU if we turn the ball over multiple times.
What the hell does last year's game versus UL-L have to do with this year's season opener? Nothing.

UL-L was a Sunbelt runner up. FIU is a C-USA contender. Tulane was in a 3 way tie for division title. SO WHAT? It's a new season. Nothing that happened in our meaningless bowl game has any affect on what happens in a couple of weeks versus FIU.
The FIU "contender" lost to FAU 49 to 14 in 2018. I cant wait until the Wave proves all of you wrong on 8/29. And, the Cure Bowl was hardly meaningless, take a look at where our recruiting is for this year? And, the Cure Bowl was yet another game under the belt for McMillan. And, it was yet another opportunity for the Wave under Fritz to learn how to be winners. And, it wouldn't have been "meaningless" if we had lost, right? And, if we had lost both you and WaveQB would still be singing the praises of ULALA and the ULALA trolls CajunFanatic and Flasher would still be trolling this forum, right? :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And Tulane got the snot kicked out of us by a mediocre Houston team, which fired its' coach at seasons end. SO WHAT? That game means as little as the FIU vs FAU game. Both are irrelevant to the game we play in late August.

It's tough for you to grasp the simple concept that this is not a gimme win. FIU has won more than we have lately and has a coach that's won more than ours. Should we win? Absolutely. Is this a gimme game? Absolutely NOT. FIU thinks they're going to New Orleans to play another of your so called "tomato cans". You better believe most of the folks that actually care about this game probably feel the same way. We've proved nothing. That should change this year, but thus far we have one 7-6 season under this coaching staff. When was the last time Tulane Football won 9 games? Last century. And we've done it a handful of times in our 120 years of playing football.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:11 pm And Tulane got the snot kicked out of us by a mediocre Houston team, which fired its' coach at seasons end. SO WHAT? That game means as little as the FIU vs FAU game. Both are irrelevant to the game we play in late August.

It's tough for you to grasp the simple concept that this is not a gimme win. FIU has won more than we have lately and has a coach that's won more than ours. Should we win? Absolutely. Is this a gimme game? Absolutely NOT. FIU thinks they're going to New Orleans to play another of your so called "tomato cans". You better believe most of the folks that actually care about this game probably feel the same way. We've proved nothing. That should change this year, but thus far we have one 7-6 season under this coaching staff. When was the last time Tulane Football won 9 games? Last century. And we've done it a handful of times in our 120 years of playing football.
Actually in 1998 we won 12. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:11 pm And Tulane got the snot kicked out of us by a mediocre Houston team, which fired its' coach at seasons end. SO WHAT? That game means as little as the FIU vs FAU game. Both are irrelevant to the game we play in late August.

21 years ago. (And as I said, last century!) That has nothing to do with the game later this month.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:42 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm

21 years ago. (And as I said, last century!) That has nothing to do with the game later this month.
You’ll eat some more crow on 8/29. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:30 pm You’ll eat some more crow on 8/29. :D
No, I won't. If we win I'll be raising a glass with the rest of us Wave fans.

Being realistic doesn't mean I'm rooting against the Wave. I want to win them all.
nawlinspete
Riptide

StorrsD is just upset because he can no longer tell us all the ways his UCONN is so much better than us .... Just as he is now telling us Butch Davis & Company are also so much better than us .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:42 pm StorrsD is just upset because he can no longer tell us all the ways his UCONN is so much better than us .... Just as he is now telling us Butch Davis & Company are also so much better than us .
If you had a thought that made sense it died of loneliness.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Being realistic doesn't mean I'm rooting against the Wave. I want to win them all.
That meaningless Cure Bowl, we just stole a recruit, Mason Narcisse, from Skip Holtz. :D
tufinal4
High Tide

I think the significance of last year is the way we finished, 5-1. It literally was a tale of 2 seasons, when we unshackled the offense and turned things completely around. It is easy to forget and look at the whole year vs its two segments, concluding we had a mediocre year. That view however is misguided. We are far more likely to continue the momentum of the 2nd half of 2018 and take that next step as a program.
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am
Eaglewave wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 am
I not only hope you are right, but I understand your optimism. The talent level on the team is much higher than it's been, and we should be running an offense that's better equipped to compete in the AAC. But this is Tulane, and Lucy often pulls the ball away as we're about to kick that big game winning kick. And last year did ZERO to show me we've turned any corner.

I have high expectations for this coming season, but have been disappointed too often to take any game for granted. And FIU, frankly, has done more with less the last few seasons than our Green Wave has.

The “lay another egg” nightmares will end this year. We have real coach who is commented to building a top 25 program here, and has the wisdom to get it done. As y’all know, I was begging for Fritz to get this job because I knew he would bring what we needed to the table. We have speed, solid size, depth on both sides of the ball, brains, and most of all, players who are perfect for our system. We are coming off a year that showed our fans that we could smash a quality opponent who we weren’t given a chance to beat, and win a bowl game against a lesser conference program. It doesn’t sound great to some, but it shows us that times are changing around here. We aren’t what we use to be. Mark it down.

Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:40 pm

I don’t believe that you are rooting against us, but I do feel that our previous flops has your heart scared to love again. Well, get ready to start the season off with a arse beating of the Panthers. FIU isn’t ready for what they are going to see in week 1. Our kids are hungry, and our coaches are fired up. We are going to send a message early! FIU,(who is coming off a 9 win season) is the perfect opponent to open your bowl chasing season against. They won a crap load of games vs tomato cans. Justin is ready to make his name know to the NCAA. This kid is out to prove that he was given a scholarship to an SEC school for a reason. He is fired up.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You must be right. FIU players have no hunger, and their coaching staff has no fire.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:07 am You must be right. FIU players have no hunger, and their coaching staff has no fire.
:thumbup:
Wave QB
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:07 am You must be right. FIU players have no hunger, and their coaching staff has no fire.
Agreed. Eagle thinks we are about to play a cupcake. We are facing an opponent who won 9 games last year.

I know we can win, but I know we can lose as well.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:14 am
Agreed. Eagle thinks we are about to play a cupcake. We are facing an opponent who won 9 games last year.

I know we can win, but I know we can lose as well.
Exactly my point for the last few weeks! This is a team that thinks they're coming to New Orleans to play another can of tomatoes on their way to a 9 or 10 win season. We haven't won 9 games in a season since 1998, and haven't won 8 games in back to back seasons in decades, and have never done it 3x in a row. So pump your chest and crow about how Tulane is going to show FIU how superior we are!

We need to win this game, if we don't it could be a 1-3 start. I don't think the coaching staff is overlooking this game the way quite a few here are.