Line Closing Tulane 3 pts. > FIU

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

All true Eagle and 755. We also were told Wake Forest was a national contender yet if not for being overly conservative we should have eat them. Also, while our offense won't be at full throttle for the first few games we have the advantage that those early teams won't have seen our new offense. Let's Roll.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:04 pm
Wave QB wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:51 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:30 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:21 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 am
Wave755 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:53 am Last year FAU beat FIU 49 to 14, a home game for FIU. FIU’s “big wins” for 2018 were over Middle Tennessee and Toledo, a win in each game by 3 points. FIU beat nobody really in 2018.

This game reminds of last year’s Cure Bowl against ‘Mighty ULALA.
And two years ago we played FIU in Miami. They beat us by double digits. Since then they've won a bunch more games than we have and they're recruiting classes have been better than ours. Their coach is no slouch. Yet you think we just need to throw our players out on the field at Yulman and we're going to crush them. I'm only trying to be the voice of reason. This game reminds you of the POS bowl we played last year. It reminds me of the UAB game, another one that folks thought we'd walk onto the field and win.
These guys are “Paper Panthers,” and I think we are a lot closer to a FAU than the Toledo Rockets team they beat by 3 pts. in the “Nassau Bahamas Bowl.”

We will see who is right on Thursday, 8/29. :D
I hope it's you. But I don't think we should take this team lightly. They win games.

I am with you on this one. FIU has transformed into a winning G5 program. I am a fan of the way they scheduled none powerhouse programs in order to rack up wins and get their community behind their football program. Say what’s y’all want, but thier program won 9 games and are penciling in Tulane as a win for this season. I know we can win, but I am very nervous about losing this one. Butch is has a winning program coming to New Orleans to win. Yes, we won a bowl game last year, but we are not to the level of looking down on SBC teams. We need to play FIU like we are facing Florida State.
Here you go being scared again for no damn reason. SLU had you scared a few years ago, FCS #21 Grambling and their Ole Miss transfer, FCS #11 Nicholls, USF and ULL were all teams that you were terrified of for no damn reason. FIU iis not a G5 powerhouse, and they have beaten up on tomato cans. We aren't the same ole Tulane anymore. We have a coach who knows how to win and has finally put his roster into play. Opening day , we will put a beating on this C-USA team. Bet the house on it.
To be fair, it is not as if Tulane didn't lose to FIU by multiple scores in 2017. Should Tulane be better than FIU in 2019? Sure, but, given that Tulane is only favored by 3, it's not as if Tulane generally expected to demolish them.

Also, yes, 2018 Tulane did defeat some decent G5 teams (i.e. Memphis and USF), but it still went 2-5 against bowl eligible teams in the regular season (with 3 close wins over bad teams - ECU, Tulsa, and Navy) along with one loss to a non-bowl team (SMU). Similarly, FIU went 1-4 against bowl eligible teams in the regular season (with 2 close wins over bad teams - Charlotte and Old Dominion) and it had one big loss to a non-bowl team (FAU). Both teams won their bowls.

It's difficult to look at that and claim that Tulane is at a different tier than FIU.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:28 am
To be fair, it is not as if Tulane didn't lose to FIU by multiple scores in 2017. Should Tulane be better than FIU in 2019? Sure, but, given that Tulane is only favored by 3, it's not as if Tulane generally expected to demolish them.

Also, yes, 2018 Tulane did defeat some decent G5 teams (i.e. Memphis and USF), but it still went 2-7 against bowl eligible teams in the regular season (with 3 close wins over bad teams - ECU, Tulsa, and Navy) along with one loss to a non-bowl team (SMU). Similarly, FIU went 1-4 against bowl eligible teams in the regular season (with 2 close wins over bad teams - Charlotte and Old Dominion) and it had one big loss to a non-bowl team (FAU). Both teams won their bowls.

It's difficult to look at that and claim that Tulane is at a different tier than FIU.
All very good points. I also point out that Butch Davis has more FBS skins on the wall than Fritz. This game reminds me of the UAB,game from last year. But the good news is we're the home team..
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:39 am This game reminds me of the UAB,game from last year. But the good news is we're the home team..
The good news is Justin McMillan will be our quarterback against FIU, a Justin McMillan with 6 games under his belt for the 2018 season, 5 of which 6 we won (3 turnovers by Banks against UAB, 2 lost fumbles, one returned for a touchdown, and an interception, cost us the UAB game). We don't need "heroics" from our quarterback to beat the "Paper Panthers" on Thursday, 8/29, but instead simply steady play and no turnovers.
Wave QB
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm My only concern is that we are Tulane. We've always laid the egg when it counted. So, let's just see what happens on 8/29. The most important game is the next one...
Best post on this thread!

As for Eaglewave, I don’t think he understands that we are Tulane and we are facing an opponent who just won 9 games! While he is bashing their quality of opponents, (and I am 100% in favor of bowl friendly schedules when you are trying showcase winning football after years of struggling), he isn’t realizing that the kids and coaches who FIU will have on the sidelines have built a winning culture. FIU is coming to New Orleans to win. This is far from a pencilled in win. We might play ok and still lose. FIU is a bowl bound team again this season.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:20 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm My only concern is that we are Tulane. We've always laid the egg when it counted. So, let's just see what happens on 8/29. The most important game is the next one...

As for Eaglewave, I don’t think he understands that we are Tulane and we are facing an opponent who just won 9 games! While he is bashing their quality of opponents, (and I am 100% in favor of bowl friendly schedules when you are trying showcase winning football after years of struggling), he isn’t realizing that the kids and coaches who FIU will have on the sidelines have built a winning culture. FIU is coming to New Orleans to win. This is far from a pencilled in win. We might play ok and still lose. FIU is a bowl bound team again this season.
🤔WaveQB, you said the exact same thing about ULALA and the Cure Bowl? Together with the transfers this team is starting to look like our best since 1998. Like WW, my only real question is how good will the OL be, and the answer may well be “very good.” We are really going to thump these guys, the FIU Panthers. on 8/29. :D
HoustonWave
Tsunami

That’s exactly why I’ve felt for some time that the FIU game will be the most important game of the year. They are a decent team, so we’ll find out right from the start whether this is just the latest iteration of the “old Tulane”, or whether it really is the beginning of the “new Tulane”. Let’s hope.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:58 pm
That’s exactly why I’ve felt for some time that the FIU game will be the most important game of the year. They are a decent team, so we’ll find out right from the start whether this is just the latest iteration of the “old Tulane”, or whether it really is the beginning of the “new Tulane”. Let’s hope.
As since time immemorial 18 to 22 year olds couldn’t care less for what happened 50 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago or even 5 years ago. In spite of our past, the 1998 team went 12-0. Cowen ended the party, not some “Tulane curse” or loser mentality of our players. When Cowen said no to Rodriquez the Tulane “idiot gear” - deemphasize football, withdraw from the SEC, “no” to Infante in 1980, Eamon Kelly’s “Tulane Model” - kicked in yet again. Our problem has been leadership, for now it appears our leadership is more in line with the tenure of Sheldon Hackney than Kelly or Cowen. We will do fine on 8/29. We will only lose to FIU if we turn it over multiple times.
Last edited by Wave755 on Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:22 pm
As since time immemorial 18 to 22 year olds couldn’t care less for what happened 50 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago or even 5 years ago. In spite of our past, the 1998 team went 12-0. Cowen ended the party, not some “Tulane curse” or loser mentality of our players. When Cowen said no to Rodriquez the Tulane “idiot gear” - deemphasize football, withdraw from the SEC, “no” to Infante in 1980, Eamon Kelly’s “Tulane Model” - kicked in yet again. Our problem has been leadership, for now it appears our leadership is more in line with the tenure of Sheldon Hackney rather than Kelly or Cowen. We will do fine on 8/29. We will only lose to FIU if we turn it over multiple times.
You have pointed out many valid causes for Tulane's athletic purgatory for past nearly 70 years. But you have overlooked the many games that we lost because we weren't prepared, usually mentally and emotionally, to play-- and that includes some games during the Fritz era. And that is why the FIU game is so important--are we ready or not, we know we have the talent to win, for a change.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:54 pm
Wave755 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:22 pm
As since time immemorial 18 to 22 year olds couldn’t care less for what happened 50 years ago, 30 years ago, 20 years ago or even 5 years ago. In spite of our past, the 1998 team went 12-0. Cowen ended the party, not some “Tulane curse” or loser mentality of our players. When Cowen said no to Rodriquez the Tulane “idiot gear” - deemphasize football, withdraw from the SEC, “no” to Infante in 1980, Eamon Kelly’s “Tulane Model” - kicked in yet again. Our problem has been leadership, for now it appears our leadership is more in line with the tenure of Sheldon Hackney rather than Kelly or Cowen. We will do fine on 8/29. We will only lose to FIU if we turn it over multiple times.
You have pointed out many valid causes for Tulane's athletic purgatory for past nearly 70 years. But you have overlooked the many games that we lost because we weren't prepared, usually mentally and emotionally, to play-- and that includes some games during the Fritz era. And that is why the FIU game is so important--are we ready or not, we know we have the talent to win, for a change.
Butch Davis will have FIU ready to play, but I am sure WF will have the Wave ready too. And, let’s hope Will Hall shows FIU a few new looks for our offense. Lane Kiffen’s FAU team beat the Hell out of FIU last year and FIU only squeaked by Toledo in the Bahamas Bowl, we should win this game.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We barely squeaked by a BAD Navy team to make a bowl game. We lost to a bad SMU team. This FIU team is every bit as good as ours, and knows how to win, and has done so more than our Wave. Their coach knows how to win. We got the snot knocked out of us by a mediocre Houston squad and likewise by a decent Cincinnati team. I hope we blow out FIU, but this game is a whole lot more like the one we lost by double digits two years ago in Miami, or at UAB last year than the bowl game versus ULL..

We have zero reason to think this game is an automatic win.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 pm We barely squeaked by a BAD Navy team to make a bowl game. We lost to a bad SMU team. This FIU team is every bit as good as ours, and knows how to win, and has done so more than our Wave. Their coach knows how to win. We got the snot knocked out of us by a mediocre Houston squad and likewise by a decent Cincinnati team. I hope we blow out FIU, but this game is a whole lot more like the one we lost by double digits two years ago in Miami, or at UAB last year than the bowl game versus ULL..

We have zero reason to thing this game is an automatic win.
Banks lost the UAB & SMU games last year. And he lost the FIU game in 2017. After 8/29, Justin McMillan will 6 of 7 as our starting quarterback.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 pm We barely squeaked by a BAD Navy team to make a bowl game. We lost to a bad SMU team. This FIU team is every bit as good as ours, and knows how to win, and has done so more than our Wave. Their coach knows how to win. We got the snot knocked out of us by a mediocre Houston squad and likewise by a decent Cincinnati team. I hope we blow out FIU, but this game is a whole lot more like the one we lost by double digits two years ago in Miami, or at UAB last year than the bowl game versus ULL..

We have zero reason to thing this game is an automatic win.
This guy is like a worn out vinyl record on a worn out victrola ; stuck in a worn out groove and over and over the same song . So sad ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
RobertM320
Green Wave

Its a glass half empty-glass half full scenario. For all those pessimists who want to say we were one missed two point conversion from being 5-7 and staying home, the optimists will say we were one inch away from having gone to back to back bowls. So which is it? Its somewhere in between. We've reached the point where we're AVERAGE. Now its time to continue to improve from that point.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 pm Its a glass half empty-glass half full scenario. For all those pessimists who want to say we were one missed two point conversion from being 5-7 and staying home, the optimists will say we were one inch away from having gone to back to back bowls. So which is it? Its somewhere in between. We've reached the point where we're AVERAGE. Now its time to continue to improve from that point.
Fair. But the good news is we aren’t playing up to beat average teams. We play down and have mind boggling deficiencies . . . Can’t kick 30 yard field goals, no O line, throw for 100 yards a game & might as well have been without a offensive coordinator for the last 2 tenures. . . And yet we were average last year. So we crossed most of those off (not sure about o line, Range on FG & McMillan, but how could they get worse ?) and gained additional strength at the positions we excelled at. Where will that leave us next year ? By my calculations somewhere between above average and very good.
Eaglewave
Swell

I don’t think you understand how many tomato cans these guys have beaten in the past two seasons. FCS SWAC teams and transitioning FBS programs aren’t my idea of a G5 powerhouse. Yes, I understand that some programs (including us) should waterdown the schedule after consecutive losing season in order to get the fans taking about winning again, but that doesn’t mean that their programs should be feared by bowl bound opponents! We are a conference contender this year. FIU is a pretender. The Panthers are going to drown in New Orleans. This isn’t the same Tulane football program that is use to laying eggs: Mark my word, FIU is going to get beat!
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:42 pm Its a glass half empty-glass half full scenario. For all those pessimists who want to say we were one missed two point conversion from being 5-7 and staying home, the optimists will say we were one inch away from having gone to back to back bowls. So which is it? Its somewhere in between. We've reached the point where we're AVERAGE. Now its time to continue to improve from that point.
Fair. But the good news is we aren’t playing up to beat average teams. We play down and have mind boggling deficiencies . . . Can’t kick 30 yard field goals, no O line, throw for 100 yards a game & might as well have been without a offensive coordinator for the last 2 tenures. . . And yet we were average last year. So we crossed most of those off (not sure about o line, Range on FG & McMillan, but how could they get worse ?) and gained additional strength at the positions we excelled at. Where will that leave us next year ? By my calculations somewhere between above average and very good.
That's exactly my point, Bicoastal. We've reached average, now its time to move forward from there. Its just that some people act as if we've accomplished nothing, and others act like we've reached contender status. I feel we're moving in the right direction but we're not there yet.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Agreed. The truth likely lies somewhere in between.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:40 pm Agreed. The truth likely lies somewhere in between.
If the OL comes around we will be better than an average team, no doubt about it. The DL should already be there.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We all hope the O-Line finally steps up. I've said all along that even if the talent isn't there we now have two coaches that can coach around that. Hall and Kennedy have worked together before. In one of the player interviews it was said that you should see those two work together. We'll see soon enough. Willie also said it's going to be hard for teams to plan for our offense since they haven't seen it.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

winwave wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:27 pm We all hope the O-Line finally steps up. I've said all along that even if the talent isn't there we now have two coaches that can coach around that. Hall and Kennedy have worked together before. In one of the player interviews it was said that you should see those two work together. We'll see soon enough. Willie also said it's going to be hard for teams to plan for our offense since they haven't seen it.
It's also hard to trust an offense down 6 if you haven't seen it run.

Should be a very intriguing game. If Butch Davis doesn't guess correctly on defending this newfangled offense we'll do really well.
Wave QB
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 am

I don’t think you understand how many tomato cans these guys have beaten in the past two seasons. FCS SWAC teams and transitioning FBS programs aren’t my idea of a G5 powerhouse. Yes, I understand that some programs (including us) should waterdown the schedule after consecutive losing season in order to get the fans taking about winning again, but that doesn’t mean that their programs should be feared by bowl bound opponents! We are a conference contender this year. FIU is a pretender. The Panthers are going to drown in New Orleans. This isn’t the same Tulane football program that is use to laying eggs: Mark my word, FIU is going to get beat!

So what? Besides 1998, we are who we are. Nobody fears us, and FIU will be here to play. I don’t understand your deal here. You post as if we are coming off a 10 win season that included a Liberty Bowl win or something. No, we are coming off a 7 win season that including a tough win vs the weakest ULL team in a bowl game in their school history. I am happy that we won and were in a bowl game, but we didn’t actually win the Peach Bowl and face a tomato can to begin this season. FIU is a G5 program that won 9 games last year, and beat us in our last meeting.

We are a G5 program that fights like hell for 6 wins. We better be ready instead of being arrogant after a Cure Bowl victory because Butch could give two craps about what we did yesterday. He wants Lane Kiffin to know that he isn’t stealing his 5th row seat in Florida behind FSU, UF, Miami and UCF. We have to play these guys like they are Florida or this could feel like South Alabama 2013 when the clock strikes 0.
Bigschtick
Riptide

We have zero reason to think this game is an automatic win.
My sentiments entirely,
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

And what has the Green Wave accomplished that separates us from the other Tomato Cans on the FIU football schedule? They're coming into New Orleans thinking we're just another victory waiting to happen. 7-6 last year means absolutely nothing.