Butts in the Seats

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Thank gawd for season tickets being counted

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/07 ... =home-hero

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Someone needs to tell them capacity is 22,600. Then we'd be at 95% capacity.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 am Someone needs to tell them capacity is 22,600. Then we'd be at 95% capacity.
I wil ask Tanner to call them
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't know if this is still an NCAA By-Law, but a few years ago the NCAA had a minimum stadium requirement of 30,000. I have always thought that was why "Cow-Dick" kept claiming we had a new stadium with 30,000 "capacity". We all know the stadium doesn't seat 30K.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:43 am I don't know if this is still an NCAA By-Law, but a few years ago the NCAA had a minimum stadium requirement of 30,000. I have always thought that was why "Cow-Dick" kept claiming we had a new stadium with 30,000 "capacity". We all know the stadium doesn't seat 30K.
That NCAA Stadium 30,000 size rule was scrapped in 2004...a school must average 15,000 per game over a two year period to maintain D-1 status....'tickets sold" is the criteria used for this number, not actual attendance...that is why Season tickets sold is important to Tulane
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We all know this is nonsense and how paltry our attendance is currently.

Hopefully this year we will see some positive momentum in the actual butts in seats category.
dpm wave
Swell

The main reason for not attending a game, imho, has been quality of product.
This year should be the best team that Tulane has put out on the field in a decade, or more.
Any Tulane fan within a 4 hour drive ought to commit to attending at least one game this year.

I'll be at the AU and UCF games with UConn a maybe.
Wave755
Tsunami

dpm wave wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm The main reason for not attending a game, imho, has been quality of product.
This year should be the best team that Tulane has put out on the field in a decade, or more.
Any Tulane fan within a 4 hour drive ought to commit to attending at least one game this year.

I'll be at the AU and UCF games with UConn a maybe.
In 1998 the fans were coming back. I believe we were putting about a real 25,000 in the stands for that year at the Dome. For the final Thanksgiving game against La. Tech we completely filled both the Plaza and Loge rings of the Dome. And then, Cowen said no to Rodriguez (Sandy Barbour said yes).

This may be our best team since 1998 (2002 was a good team too, and then Cowen did the "review" in the spring of 2003). If this team is as good as I and most think, I believe we can get back to about a "real" 20,000 in the stands for this season and hopefully build from there for 2020.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

dpm wave wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:32 pm The main reason for not attending a game, imho, has been quality of product.
Win. Consistently.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:36 pm
Win. Consistently.
Win. Consistently. Against quality opposition.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:26 pm We all know this is nonsense and how paltry our attendance is currently.

Hopefully this year we will see some positive momentum in the actual butts in seats category.
Hopefully we'll see real improvement in our actual attendance. The actual vs tickets sold charade is true at many schools, including several football factories. There was an article last year bemoaning this fact, and documented how there are many empty seats in even some SEC schools. I specifically recall that the article talked about how Auburn's actual attendance often is just over 50% of their stadium capacity. We know LSU enjoys many empty seats, when they schedule their cupcake rent-a-win games.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Win. Consistently.

I agree, but we have to beat what is on our schedule first.
Last edited by Eaglewave on Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ball Sumrall!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Eaglewave wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:13 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Win. Consistently.

I agree, but we have to beat what is on oit schedule first.
We agree. There is enough on it this season to really grab people's attention if we win them-Auburn and UCF to start with. Then Houston and Memphis depending on how their season's go. Just to be clear I'm not saying we have to win all of those but win a couple and win the games we should win and we'll see a clear uptick . May it happen!
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Just win, baby. Just win.

And I think we all agree this team is loaded to do so.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Besides Auburn & UCF, Memphis & Houston- I would say Beating Army would be a good win for the program. Could this be the year we get a win over a top 25 team ? Whens the last time that happened? That will put the butts in the seats
sader24
Tsunami

We need to beat FIU. There is a little momentum here, for once we need to capitalize on it. Lose that game and the casual fan will think it’d business as usual losing to a directional Florida school. Whether that’s the case as we know it if we want to build attendance we have to draw ppl who haven’t been coming.
Eaglewave
Swell

sader24 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 pm We need to beat FIU. There is a little momentum here, for once we need to capitalize on it. Lose that game and the casual fan will think it’d business as usual losing to a directional Florida school. Whether that’s the case as we know it if we want to build attendance we have to draw ppl who haven’t been coming.
Yup. We need to win that damn game! We can do it. I honestly think we can beat the shit out of them. We shall see.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 am
sader24 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:37 pm We need to beat FIU. There is a little momentum here, for once we need to capitalize on it. Lose that game and the casual fan will think it’d business as usual losing to a directional Florida school. Whether that’s the case as we know it if we want to build attendance we have to draw ppl who haven’t been coming.
Yup. We need to win that damn game! We can do it. I honestly think we can beat the shit out of them. We shall see.
Absolutely agree that we need to win the FIU game. I don't know about "beating the shit out" of a well coached Butch Davis team, but just win. A win against FIU will set the tone for the season.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:50 am
Absolutely agree that we need to win the FIU game. I don't know about "beating the shit out" of a well coached Butch Davis team, but just win. A win against FIU will set the tone for the season.
We were the better team in 2017 when we lost to FIU 23 to 10 @ Miami. For that game Banks was 5/16 for 38 yards and one interception, yet FIU was still only up 13 to 10 after three quarters. I am confident Justin McMillan will not go 5/16 on August 29th. :D
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I agree. As I said above we need to win the games we are expected to win and FIU is one of those. The fans expect it and we'll be favored. I'm hoping the media plays up the Butch Davis angle leading up to the game. We have been getting good off season coverage on TV and in the paper. The whole team was asleep for that FIU game. That certainly won't be the case this time. Or at least we better not be.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

“For that game Banks was 5/16 for 38 yards and one interception. . .”

I had almost forgotten. . . :shakingno:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 am
We were the better team in 2017 when we lost to FIU 23 to 10 @ Miami. For that game Banks was 5/16 for 38 yards and one interception, yet FIU was still only up 13 to 10 after three quarters. I am confident Justin McMillan will not go 5/16 on August 29th. :D
To say we were the better team when we lost by 13 points is kinda like pissing into the wind. Which team took home a "W" that day? You are what your record says you are. Typically, the scoreboard keeps track of which is the better team and unfortunately we lost by DOUBLE DIGITS.

Butch Davis is well paid and he and his staff earn their living just the same as Willie Fritz and the Tulane staff do. That's why they line up and play the game.. We still have ZERO right to look down our noses at any other program. ZERO.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:09 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:59 am
To say we were the better team when we lost by 13 points is kinda like pissing into the wind. Which team took home a "W" that day? You are what your record says you are. Typically, the scoreboard keeps track of which is the better team and unfortunately we lost by DOUBLE DIGITS.

Butch Davis is well paid and he and his staff earn their living just the same as Willie Fritz and the Tulane staff do. That's why they line up and play the game.. We still have ZERO right to look down our noses at any other program. ZERO.
The "Davis Defense" had nothing to do with it, With no passing game at all we had 203 yards rushing and averaged 5 yards a down rushing. Banks "stunk up the place" missing wide open receivers all night long. You can't beat anybody passing for only 38 yards. In the end the defense ran out of gas.

I can't wait for revenge on 8/29 against this CUSA team. :thumbup:
Eaglewave
Swell

For two years, Butch and his Panthers have wins vs struggling programs, new to FBS programs, and two FCS-SWAC programs. They used a the “watered down schedule” formula to get them two 8/9 win seasons. FIU folks are finally talking about football again, and their fans seem to be excited about where they are going. I have nothing against that because that formula often works if you stick with it for two years before stepping up your non conference opponents. This season, they start off with a hungry, revenge seeking, confident conference champion contender Tulane team. I know we are use to laying eggs, but it’s been a very long time since our boys were talking as if they are out for blood. I am telling you, don’t be shocked at an opening day beat down of a “regular unloaded” C-USA team.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:07 pm
For two years, Butch and his Panthers have wins vs struggling programs, new to FBS programs, and two FCS-SWAC programs. They used a the “watered down schedule” formula to get them two 8/9 win seasons. FIU folks are finally talking about football again, and their fans seem to be excited about where they are going. I have nothing against that because that formula often works if you stick with it for two years before stepping up your non conference opponents. This season, they start off with a hungry, revenge seeking, confident conference champion contender Tulane team. I know we are use to laying eggs, but it’s been a very long time since our boys were talking as if they are out for blood. I am telling you, don’t be shocked at an opening day beat down of a “regular unloaded” C-USA team.
Sagarin ranked FIU 99 at the end of last year https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/ even though they finished the season 9-4. We should win this game; McMillan will be our quarterback, not Banks.