Thank You!!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NTG
Ripple

Green Wave Nation,

Now that life has settled down a bit after a whirlwind June and more than half of July, I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you in the Tulane Community who took the time to reach out to me personally, also by text, or on social media after it was announced I was leaving my former position of Director of Broadcasting at Tulane. The response truly was overwhelming and humbling to me...I guess you never really understand the impact you have on people over the years when you're doing something you truly love to do...and I truly loved calling Tulane Athletics. I know it wasn't always a pleasant listen. I understood I was a bit of a negative nelly at times, trust me, I know. I honestly tried the best I could to not be that way when things weren't going our way..it's just that's the way I am, it's the way I've always been. My greatest asset as a Tulane broadcaster was a blessing and a curse. I just cared too much. I won't apologize for that. If you had to turn the radio off because of it, I would've liked to have turned myself off sometimes. :-D

There are countless people I could thank on here...You're not at a place for over 25 years and not have a list as long as an arm. As far as I'm concerned though, there really is only one. If not for this person, none of this would have been even possible. Ken Berthelot, former Voice of the Green Wave, is that person. He gave an opportunity to a kid who was still at Loyola trying to figure out what he was going to do with his life. He didn't have to. He didn't know me from a hole in the wall. He believed in my ability even when I had no idea what my ability was. Two years in he entrusted me to be the lead play-by-play for Tulane Baseball. Heady stuff for a 24 year old. He allowed me to grow not only in that position, but also in other areas, whether it was TV coaches shows, men's hoops pregame, or calling women's hoops in '96-'97. He always encouraged me and gave me advice when I needed to do better...it was always constructive. It wasn't always a smooth ride either. I wanted to quit many times. I was called into the principal's office many times also. Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be in the position I am now, but here we are. Thank you, KB.

I have also been fortunate to forge lasting relationships with the coaches (both Head and assistants) that have passed through the Wilson Center. Many of those coaches I still talk to regularly. It's pretty awesome when the coaches you work with over the years allow the access that I had, because they DO NOT have to. It makes your job much easier when you're privy to things the normal person (even broadcaster) is not privy too. They trusted me and it made me feel good to know I never betrayed that trust. Hopefully I was able to convey those things on the broadcasts.

Memories as far as games are long as well...I've pretty much seen it all...Highest highs, lowest lows....I would do it all over again. Having been a part of two College World Series teams, and a 12-0 Football Season and a Women's Basketball Conference and Tournament Championship are things that you treasure always. My biggest regret in my Tulane career is that I never got to call an NCAA Tournament game for Men's Basketball. Hopefully the new VOW will get a chance to do that very soon...but my greatest memory is the fact that three of my brothers played baseball and graduated at Tulane. I watched every game they played, called every at bat they had, and with our mother sitting 4 rows in front of me at old Turchin with headphones on. Tough to top that.

Finally, I'm just really looking forward to do something that I really haven't been able to do the last 12 years...and that's WATCH Tulane sporting events. Please don't hesitate if you see me at Yulman, Devlin, or Turchin (I WILL be there if I'm able) to say hey. The expectation levels are rising for the entire Athletic Dept. and thats a GOOD thing. I can tell you I'm really looking forward to the football season and to see if the momentum we were able to build at the end of last year continues. I will continue to lurk on here when the football season starts but I'm going to be very busy starting this week when Saints Training Camp begins on Friday, and then at the end of September when the Pels start their camp.

Thanks again for all of your support throughout the years. Here's to many victories in every sport. Look forward to seeing you wherever it may be...and as always, ROLL WAVE!!

Graff

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Congrats Graff! You got a great gig!
My wife and I will surely miss you calling the Wave but I look forward to following the Pels with Zion on board. Good Luck and thanks for all those memories!!!
Roll Wave! Go Pels! 🍀
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tufinal4
High Tide

Thank you Todd for everything. I remember the elated look on your and everyone's face up in Omaha at the Tulane steak cookout dinner on the banks of the Missouri River in 2005 after the win over Oregon St. I also remember toasting the vote of the Tulane BOA that night in 2003 at the old Bruno's.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Congratulations, Graff! It won't be the same without you.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Congrats and best wishes ! To care too much is a beautiful thing, that at times haunts us all. You were a pro and i am sure you will continue to make us all proud. We need more like you and roll wave !
Bigschtick
Riptide

We love you Todd and hope you will always be a Greenie fan.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Graff,

We have never met, but I feel like I've known you for years. Your passion and knowledge of all things Tulane Athletics was shared over the last 25 years. Just as you thanked coaches and others for sharing information they weren't required to share, I thank you for sharing all of that passion and knowledge.

You will be missed, regardless of who becomes the VOW. All the best in your future endeavors.

Checkerboards, baby!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

you are a Tulane treasure. Period. Thank you.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Graff will be sorely missed. I love the passion for Tulane he brings to every broadcast. One moment of many that I’ll never forget was when we beat Army at Yulman two years ago. The final moments of that game are classic TG.
Show Me
Tsunami

Looking forward to your Tulane Hall of Fame Induction. Incredible career! You were the best!
Baseball won’t be the same without your calling. Big shoes to fill. Excited for you and your family on this new venture moving on to the pro’s. Green Wave Nation will miss you!
TOBTTW!!!
puffy
Surge

Graff, thank you for the olive green and sky blue tinted enthusiasm, and congratulations on the new job!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Thanks Graff. U will b missed.
bbos1
Ripple

Graff, I think I would not want to be the VOW after you. Hard to follow a legend. Your passion and love for all things Tulane will be hard to match. Thanks for all the years and hopefully there will be better years ahead for the wave.
Dave breslin
Swell

Graff, it’s been a while since I’ve written on this outlet. But I must respond to your leaving our airwaves. You were a pleasure to listen to and always were professional in your broadcast. You kept some civility even when us fans had lost ours. I will miss you and your enthusiasm ! Thanks again. ROLL WAVE.
msdos
Swell

graff, in all the downs of Tulane, you were always a bright spot. Thank you
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Best of luck to you going forward
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Dave breslin wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:23 am Graff, it’s been a while since I’ve written on this outlet. But I must respond to your leaving our airwaves. You were a pleasure to listen to and always were professional in your broadcast. You kept some civility even when us fans had lost ours. I will miss you and your enthusiasm ! Thanks again. ROLL WAVE.
Welcome back Dave ....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .