New Team

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
WavyHoops
High Tide

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 am Zion Williamson is going to kill our walk up and impulse ticket sales. We are not a basketball town and basketball interest is very limited .

We had better hope we are not at home the same nights the Pels are . we will be totally empty those nights .
Glass half full version is that Zion makes the basketball pie bigger and Coach Ron will be out there handing out reasonably priced slices.

Wave755
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:52 am Zion Williamson is going to kill our walk up and impulse ticket sales. We are not a basketball town and basketball interest is very limited .

We had better hope we are not at home the same nights the Pels are . we will be totally empty those nights .

Not if we have an exciting team that starts winning. :-D And, I am certain the student body will turn-out for a competitive exciting basketball team, it's been already proven, i.e., - The Perry Clark Era. :yes:
WavyHoops
High Tide

It's becoming clear to me that not only does Coach Hunter have a plan for getting the Green Wave where it needs to be on the court, he (or someone close to him) also has a very good sense for social media and the news cycle in general . There has been a nice rhythm to all these recruiting developments, new stories and motivational tweets that's kept the heartbeat going in the depth of the offesason..
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WavyHoops wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:42 pm It's becoming clear to me that not only does Coach Hunter have a plan for getting the Green Wave where it needs to be on the court, he (or someone close to him) also has a very good sense for social media and the news cycle in general . There has been a nice rhythm to all these recruiting developments, new stories and motivational tweets that's kept the heartbeat going in the depth of the offesason..
You're right. He doesn't miss a trick. Nice change.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

Hunter proved that he can win games and coach well from the floor. I am excited about what he wants to do here.

He is really in a good situation as he is taking over a program that lost to the worst team in the SWAC Conference (Alabama A&M) and couldn't compete with division I opponents. The only place to go is up for our program. I don't see the NCAA tournament in the cards just yet, but we can definitely do some things on the court that will get fans excited about the 2020-21 season.
Ball Sumrall!
anEngineer
Riptide

If he can beat the Alabama A&M's on the schedule, have a chance to win most every game and pull a big upset or two and show REAL improvement as the season goes on, most people will be satisfied with this season. Anything more than that is bonus. Coach Hunter would say that is settling for something that is not acceptable, but (unfortunately) that's what Tulane basketball fans have been conditioned to. Hopefully, Coach Hunter changes that forever.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

after touring Waco and Fayeteville, Uptown, is his last stop on a world tour

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 42f21.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
nawlinspete
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:15 pm after touring Waco and Fayeteville, Uptown, is his last stop on a world tour

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 42f21.html
Apparently Coach Hunter wants nothing to do with Zhang,
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Do we know for sure who is leaving to make room for the big man (that's a project) from Arkansas?

How many projects can we afford to have on the roster?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

There's been no official word on who is going.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Some good vibes from one of the national broadcasters on a lot of AAC games

Go see his tweets for very positive notes on Coach Hunter, ROE, Walker, Lawson, Thomas and McGee.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Liked this response:

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You got to love Coach Hunter's tweet last night:
Tulane community you may want to purchase season tickets. After 5 weeks of summer practice I can’t wait to show off your new team.
Eaglewave
Swell

I have never been excited about football and basketball season at the same time.
Ball Sumrall!
DrBox
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:35 am I have never been excited about football and basketball season at the same time.
Yes while the football team was dragging under Davis and Teevens, Perry Clark basketball was in its heyday. As soon as Bowden comes to town and fixes the football team, Clark's teams have a 2 year slump. Then Scelfo comes on board and the football teams reverts to crap, and Clark is back in the NIT. It was really uncanny.....one of the teams was good every year of the 90s, but never both.
Eaglewave
Swell

DrBox wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:03 pm
Eaglewave wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:35 am I have never been excited about football and basketball season at the same time.
Yes while the football team was dragging under Davis and Teevens, Perry Clark basketball was in its heyday. As soon as Bowden comes to town and fixes the football team, Clark's teams have a 2 year slump. Then Scelfo comes on board and the football teams reverts to crap, and Clark is back in the NIT. It was really uncanny.....one of the teams was good every year of the 90s, but never both.
Not sure if we will be good in basketball, but there is no way we have have another year last last year: I expect to see some good signs from this team this year, but I expect a change in culture next season.
Ball Sumrall!
WavyHoops
High Tide

heads up @DfromCT

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Barrett transferred to a JC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You have to love Coach Hunter's enthusiasm. If this team makes the NCAA tournament, (or really even the NIT) he's National Coach of the Year. It the team can go .500 in the conference, he should be very highly considered for AAC Coach of the Year. But he's not backing down. Got to love it.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Can someone explain to me why Pope was the guy off the roster ?

“Reserve forward Bul Ajang, who averaged 1.4 points last season, will take a career-ending medical hardship due to knee issues.”

Shouldn’t that free up his spot on the roster ?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Seems like he likes Charlie Russell just a bit...
His surprise player of the summer was freshman Charlie Russell, a lightly recruited but high-producing prospect from Sophie Wright in New Orleans.

“He just gets better every day,” Hunter said. “His length, his ability to block shots and his ability to hit the 3-point shot are huge. I said you’ll probably be the 16th guy when you get here, and he probably went from 16 to 12 to 7. Why that kid was not recruited (harder) is crazy.”
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
WavyHoops
High Tide

Sounds like the weak OOC schedule was very much the Coach’s call. Hard not to see it as an extended preseason, which makes some sense given that it’s basically an expansion team.
WavyHoops
High Tide

https://instagram.com/stories/greenwave ... xr63dlaegl

More defensive intensity in this little preseason practice snippet than in any game I saw last season.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Hightower is being shown in the team's Instagram feed posing for official pictures so it seems like he got the waiver?