Why is Josh Bates not playing?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
McWave
High Tide

And why has Massey not played? I assume both of these players have scholarship $$$. This is a head scratcher.

If TJ is not going to use them, then cut them loose. I know Massey’s a sr, so this should have happened in the fall. Who’s making this call, Latham, TJ, Tulane protocol.....

Don’t tell me it’s walks. Other TU pitchers have similar control issues but have been given multiple opportunities with inconsistent results.

I hope Bates doesn’t walk at the end of this season.

gbgreenie
Surge

Bates Bio

2018 (Freshman): Appeared in 16 games, with 10 starts…posted a 2-2 record with a 5.24 ERA in 46.1 innings and struck out 34 batters…made his first collegiate appearance vs. Wright State (2/16)…allowed no hits with 2 K’s in 5.0 innings in his first career start vs. Lamar (2/27)…recorded a career-high 8 strikeouts in 4.0 IP at UNO (3/6)…pitched a career-long 6.0 innings vs. ULL (3/13)…threw 15 straight strikes to begin his start vs. UNO (4/10) and pitched 3 scoreless frames…struck out a career-high 9 batters in 6.1 IP vs. Houston (4/15; G2)…allowed one run in 5.0 IP with 4 K’s vs. ETSU (4/21).

High School: A three-year letterman at Bishop Moore Catholic High School in Orlando, Fla.… pitched and played outfield for the Hornets…team captain his senior season…named team Cy Young award his junior and senior seasons and team MVP as a senior…earned Second Team All-County honors as a junior and First Team honors as a senior…[color=#008000][b]As a senior, helped his team to a 5A state runner-up finish, going 9-1 with a 1.21 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 70 innings …pitched a one-hitter in the state semi-final game, his final high school appearance… struck out a school-record 16 batters in a game during his senior season, and tossed back-to-back no-hitters during his junior campaign… played summer ball with Chet Lemon’s Juice…named 2017 Rawlings Perfect Game Honorable Mention All-American.[/b][/color]

Personal: Has one older brother and one older sister … major is business.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I will never understand Massey.

Tell me a legit program that retains a coach with a below .500 record after three years.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

With Massey the kindest way to put it is that it's personal. Jewett has failed miserably in a lot of areas but there's nothing any coach could do here. It's above their pay grade.

No legit program does that. Barring a miracle comeback in this tournament I expect him to be fired.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 am With Massey the kindest way to put it is that it's personal. Jewett has failed miserably in a lot of areas but there's nothing any coach could do here. It's above their pay grade.

No legit program does that. Barring a miracle comeback in this tournament I expect him to be fired.
Hope you’re right. Keeping Jewett around for next season would be hard to stomach
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 am
winwave wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:52 am With Massey the kindest way to put it is that it's personal. Jewett has failed miserably in a lot of areas but there's nothing any coach could do here. It's above their pay grade.

Hope you’re right. Keeping Jewett around for next season would be hard to stomach
stock up on Pepto and Zantac..... U may need it...or for total relief, Ex Lax
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Pepper
Swell

Probably not a good bowler!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Twave
Ripple

Expect to see at least 3 juniors (2 starters) to transfer out due to TJ.
Show Me
Tsunami

Pepper wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 am Probably not a good bowler!
His angle of stance was off. Not on the mound but lining up for the National Athem. :lol:
Pepper
Swell

Show Me wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:34 pm
Pepper wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:53 am Probably not a good bowler!
His angle of stance was off. Not on the mound but lining up for the National Athem. :lol:
LMAO!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

Pitchers are bad, can’t throw strikes. Jewett fires pitching coach. Brings in new pitching coach Latham who had had 6-7 top 25 era staffs in a row at sela, and pitchers are still bad and can’t throw strikes.

Maybe it’s just because these pitchers are just bad and not aac quality. That is on Jewett and co to recruit better ones. Hopefully these new ones coming in are better next year.

Honestly it doesn’t matter who is coaching a lot of our pitchers.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Does anyone have an answer to why Bates is out? Injury? Lost control? Fell out of favor with coaching staff? Or just doesn't focus on the catchers glove enough? ;)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Control issues and the fact that he won't follow Latham's instructions to correct his mechanics.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
glennc
Low Tide

Don't know about Massey but lets tell it like it is, Bates can't throw the ball in the ocean. I don't blame jewitt for not playing Bates.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Twave wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm Expect to see at least 3 juniors (2 starters) to transfer out due to TJ.
How low can we go? With another year of TJ, we’ll probably find out.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

glennc wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm Don't know about Massey but lets tell it like it is, Bates can't throw the ball in the ocean. I don't blame jewitt for not playing Bates.
There are guys on the team that get run out there every week with the same problem throwing strikes but with none of the upside
gbgreenie
Surge

Bates senior season, 112 strikeouts in 70 innings, does not sound like a pitcher with control problems. Something is strange when pitchers get here???