2019 AAC Baseball Tourney Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 pm Tulane beats UCF 5-2. Great performance by Roper. Threw a complete game and over 130 pitches!

We'll play Cincy around 6 on Thursday.
130 throws...for 9 innings, that averages out to about 14.5 per inning or 4.8 throws per out...does not seem too high for me

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Roper is a strikeout pitcher, so he's always going to have a higher pitch count. But the days of pitchers being super efficient are gone. I remember back in the 70s, a pitcher for the San Diego Padres named Randy Jones. Wasn't a hard thrower, but super efficient. He threw lots of ground balls, not many Ks. He'd pitch a complete game and be in the low 90s on pitch count. Even saw him do a CG in 89 pitches once.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am Roper is a strikeout pitcher, so he's always going to have a higher pitch count. But the days of pitchers being super efficient are gone. I remember back in the 70s, a pitcher for the San Diego Padres named Randy Jones. Wasn't a hard thrower, but super efficient. He threw lots of ground balls, not many Ks. He'd pitch a complete game and be in the low 90s on pitch count. Even saw him do a CG in 89 pitches once.
Pitching, not throwing, is much like "real estate"...it's all about the "location"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 am
winwave wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 pm Tulane beats UCF 5-2. Great performance by Roper. Threw a complete game and over 130 pitches!

130 throws...for 9 innings, that averages out to about 14.5 per inning or 4.8 throws per out...does not seem too high for me
golf I know we'd all like to live in the past but times change.That's a lot of pitches and he did it on 4 days rest not a full week as most get in college now. He deserves great credit especially considering our bullpen issues. Truthfully 136 pitches is a lot now and was a lot back then.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 am

golf I know we'd all like to live in the past but times change.That's a lot of pitches and he did it on 4 days rest not a full week as most get in college now. He deserves great credit especially considering our bullpen issues. Truthfully 136 pitches is a lot now and was a lot back then.
let' see...todays player is better conditioned, and is expected to do less...anything over 4 days between starts is hazardous to your timing....and I do not give one rat azz what any pitching guru seys
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They're also throwing a lot harder. So we'll have to agree to disagree. The kid deserves credit and nothing should take away from that.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It’s always fun to start off with a win. Makes the rest of the tournament games more interesting as well. Now I’m looking forward to watching the other teams play today as well.
If we get good pitching we could easily win this thing.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 am They're also throwing a lot harder. So we'll have to agree to disagree. The kid deserves credit and nothing should take away from that.
Nolan Ryan
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 am
winwave wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 am They're also throwing a lot harder. So we'll have to agree to disagree. The kid deserves credit and nothing should take away from that.
Nolan Ryan
LOL. That's like citing Forte when people getting talking about recruiting rankings.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I am not taking anything away from the performace.....just pointing out that what is the "exception" today, was "expected' not that long ago......I kid throws 90 pitches and then gets 4 to 7 days rest...an Ol lineman gets his body beat to hell ...and in some cases plays on Sunday and is expected to be in top form for a Thursday nite game.....all on 4 days rest .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I believe you are when you say it is not to be unexpected. The kid put his team on his back and put them in the best possible position to be able to win the tournament. Yet you have to bring up a pet peeve rather than just celebrating his outing. We aren't often given things to celebrate as Tulane fans. IMHO I believe this is one of them.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie
Surge

Amazing job by Roper, just wondering despite the wildness by the pitching staff, how are their arms staying healthy compared to say LSU where their whole pitching staff has arm soreness and injuries all year. Roper is a beast, I think many times Jewitt gets into the bullpen to quickly. Same with Solesky and Gillis if they are pitching well hold off longer before going to the bullpen.
Show Me
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:20 pm Amazing job by Roper, just wondering despite the wildness by the pitching staff, how are their arms staying healthy compared to say LSU where their whole pitching staff has arm soreness and injuries all year. Roper is a beast, I think many times Jewitt gets into the bullpen to quickly. Same with Solesky and Gillis if they are pitching well hold off longer before going to the bullpen.
Couldn’t disagree more. Our catcher and our pitching coach get all the credit for Roper’s performance. :lol:
Pepper
Swell

Couldn’t disagree more. Our catcher and our pitching coach get all the credit for Roper’s performance. :lol:
LMAO!
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
gbgreenie
Surge

Show me and pepper, :roll: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:
gbgreenie
Surge

We match up well with Cincinnati, they are very beatable. Under 500 record only a .246 Batting average and their pitching has been as bad as ours. Our hitting should win this game!!!

Cincinnati
Seed: 2
Record: 26-29
RPI: 114
AAC tournament titles: None
Last 10 games: 4-6
Players to watch: Second baseman Jace Mercer and left fielder Joey Wiemer have combined for 40 of team's 86 stolen bases.
Team batting: .246
Team pitching: 5.51
Postseason outlook: Must win conference tournament.
On Twitter: @GoBearcatsBASE

Tulane
Seed: 3
Record: 31-24
RPI: 97
AAC tournament titles: None
Last 10 games: 3-7
Player to watch: AAC player of the year Kody Hoese leads the league with .388 average and is tied for national lead with 23 home runs.
Team batting: .305
Team pitching: 5.80
Postseason outlook: Must win conference tournament.
On Twitter: @GreenWaveBSB
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:06 am
RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:48 am Roper is a strikeout pitcher, so he's always going to have a higher pitch count. But the days of pitchers being super efficient are gone. I remember back in the 70s, a pitcher for the San Diego Padres named Randy Jones. Wasn't a hard thrower, but super efficient. He threw lots of ground balls, not many Ks. He'd pitch a complete game and be in the low 90s on pitch count. Even saw him do a CG in 89 pitches once.
Pitching, not throwing, is much like "real estate"...it's all about the "location"
Location and killing the batter’s sense of timing by varying the velocity of the pitches.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Roper was Herculean last night—I couldn’t believe his arm didn’t fall off. It looked like a real baseball game, rather than one of the usual score-a-thons we’ve had throughout the year. From the Tulane world where nothing ever seems to go right, the Tulane Athletics website had the score as a 5-2 loss!!!! Hopefully they have fixed that.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

ECU up 9-1 over Houston, bottom of the sixth. Looks like Houston is done. I do question ECU choosing to not pitch Jake Agnos yesterday and hold him for Game 2. Now he won't be able to pitch again, whereas Roper may be able to give us a few innings if we make it to Sunday.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Also, didn't realize 10-run rule applies during tournament games.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ECU sends UH home 13-2. Houston at large bid dead.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Let's change some history today. We have now won our first game in the AAC tourney four times in our 5 years in it. The other three times we have lost the second game. Come on Keegan follow Rope’s lead.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Memphis was ahead 7-4 vs UCF after 4 1/2 innings, then gave up single runs in 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th. Memphis gone. UCF lives another day.

A win for us today would be huge. Puts us into the Saturday game. UCF or Cincy would have to win their elimination game, then beat us twice on Sat. Then, we pull for Cincy vs UCF in the elimination game, because I just don't see Cincy having the pitching depth to beat us twice on Sat with the way we hit.