Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
gbgreenie
Surge

Agree Jake moved up triple A

anEngineer
Riptide

The team has improved in the last 2 years. The pitching has not. Being that this recruiting class will be the first where Latham has input as to what we have and what we are bringing in, I think there is enough reason to keep Jewett. If he can demonstrate to Troy that he has a clear plan, that could buy him another year.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 am
gbgreenie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm And yes catcher and pitchers are known as a battery or team. When a Whole pitching staff goes bad and the only change this season was catcher that must be looked at. Called common sense, what is different?
Dude, the pitch calling comes from the dugout. You are insinuating that three years of bad pitching is because d1 caliber catchers are not framing and blocking the ball correctly. We have gone through like 5 catchers in three years, nothing changed. Seriously give it up. Dear god. You want people to be constructive, well what the hell do you know about the intricacies of the pitcher-catcher-pitch calling relationship at the high D1 level? Provide sources.
Although I don't think its the major reason, I think you do have to give some credibility to the catcher being part of the issue. Think about who we've had as catcher the last three years. In 2017 we started with Montalbano, but then he got hurt and we had to play FR Paul Gozzo. The last two years have been Owen and Niemann. Who did we have in 2015 and 2016? Just one of the top ten prospects in all of MiLB right now: Jake Rogers. If you don't think having Rogers behind the plate helped the pitching staff, you're not being honest.
Rogers was perhaps the best defensive catcher in all of college baseball, so ya that helped, that was a luxury. It was much more about keeping base runners honest and reducing wild pitches. So now we need the best catcher in baseball to have our pitching staff succeed? I just don’t know what to say, this is the silliest argument.

I really don’t know what else to say. The staff stinks, it has literally nothing to do with who is catching the ball. Having a good catcher like rogers is no different than having a quality shortstop or other defensive play. Ya’ll can glum onto this thought process but it is way off.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:49 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 am
gbgreenie wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm And yes catcher and pitchers are known as a battery or team. When a Whole pitching staff goes bad and the only change this season was catcher that must be looked at. Called common sense, what is different?
Dude, the pitch calling comes from the dugout. You are insinuating that three years of bad pitching is because d1 caliber catchers are not framing and blocking the ball correctly. We have gone through like 5 catchers in three years, nothing changed. Seriously give it up. Dear god. You want people to be constructive, well what the hell do you know about the intricacies of the pitcher-catcher-pitch calling relationship at the high D1 level? Provide sources.
Although I don't think its the major reason, I think you do have to give some credibility to the catcher being part of the issue. Think about who we've had as catcher the last three years. In 2017 we started with Montalbano, but then he got hurt and we had to play FR Paul Gozzo. The last two years have been Owen and Niemann. Who did we have in 2015 and 2016? Just one of the top ten prospects in all of MiLB right now: Jake Rogers. If you don't think having Rogers behind the plate helped the pitching staff, you're not being honest.
Rogers was perhaps the best defensive catcher in all of college baseball, so ya that helped, that was a luxury. It was much more about keeping base runners honest and reducing wild pitches. So now we need the best catcher in baseball to have our pitching staff succeed? I just don’t know what to say, this is the silliest argument.

I really don’t know what else to say. The staff stinks, it has literally nothing to do with who is catching the ball. Having a good catcher like rogers is no different than having a quality shortstop or other defensive play. Ya’ll can glum onto this thought process but it is way off.
Good points, mba. In addition to many walks, our pitchers have drilled many batters—is that on our catcher? Is he framing the pitch behind the batter? Probably not.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
TURVS71
Swell

Congrats to Travis Jewitt. He coached the collapse of the baseball team over the past couple of weeks ...bravely clearing the way for that BR school to whisk it’s way into the NCAA’s. Kudos Travis!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Dave breslin
Swell

The question “do we keep Jewett”? Do we like not making post season? Kind of the same answer-you know!!!
Profoundwizard
Swell

Anyone hearing any rumors?
JerseyWave
Riptide

Guerry Smith was asked on Twitter if Tulane will be looking for a new baseball coach this week. His one word answer “No”
Profoundwizard
Swell

JerseyWave wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:40 pm Guerry Smith was asked on Twitter if Tulane will be looking for a new baseball coach this week. His one word answer “No”
Fucking pathetic
Show Me
Tsunami

JerseyWave wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:40 pm Guerry Smith was asked on Twitter if Tulane will be looking for a new baseball coach this week. His one word answer “No”
We’ll then Tulane should be looking for a new AD then.
Aegis
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:30 am
We’ll then Tulane should be looking for a new AD then.
Bingo
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Today should be Jewett’s Day Of Reckoning. If not, the Replace Dannen movement needs to begin in earnest . What’s the cost of renting airplanes with banners?
greenie78
Riptide

Yeah he needs to go IMO.
nawlinspete
Riptide

FWIW , everyone was in an uproar over losing to Grand Canyon but GCU is in the tournament .

Being one win away from conference champion should not get any coach fired. If that was a valid measure we need to fire our football coach .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Profoundwizard
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:16 pm FWIW , everyone was in an uproar over losing to Grand Canyon but GCU is in the tournament .

Being one win away from conference champion should not get any coach fired. If that was a valid measure we need to fire our football coach .
Pete, you sound retarded.
We don’t want him fired based on the results of the AAC Tournament. We want him fired based on 5 years of no NCAA tournament

You can’t compare baseball and football
galvezwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:31 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:16 pm FWIW , everyone was in an uproar over losing to Grand Canyon but GCU is in the tournament .

Pete, you sound retarded.
We don’t want him fired based on the results of the AAC Tournament. We want him fired based on 5 years of no NCAA tournament

You can’t compare baseball and football
If you’re not making the tournament in college baseball, you’re losing. Sort of like basketball.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 pm
Fucking pathetic
Well said! Its Tulame remember I vote he goes!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

It's a really tough situation, because I think you could make the case that there is a lot of young talent on this team and you would like to give 1 more year to let Coach Jewett play it out. HOWEVER, you can't really give him a 1 year contract, so your left with giving him a 3 year deal, or moving on. The things I find hard to get over are the base running, fielding mistakes, poor bunting and lack of situational hitting just seem like lack of preparedness.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:17 am Only if we want to keep our baseball program struggling. He was not ready to be a head coach when Dannen hired him. Jewitt might be gradually learning how to be a head coach, but I don’t think our program can wait any longer for that slow development.
And two years later, we are still struggling--nothing has really changed. And if Dannen keeps Jewett, we'll be in the same situation on June 1, 2023.
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:32 pm It's a really tough situation, because I think you could make the case that there is a lot of young talent on this team and you would like to give 1 more year to let Coach Jewett play it out. HOWEVER, you can't really give him a 1 year contract, so your left with giving him a 3 year deal, or moving on. The things I find hard to get over are the base running, fielding mistakes, poor bunting and lack of situational hitting just seem like lack of preparedness.
Young talent on offense but what about the pitching? Nearly all of the pitchers we relied on were upperclassman and will be gone next year. So next year he’ll have the “lot of young talent on the pitching staff” excuse to buy himself another year
TURVS71
Swell

Every hour that goes by and Jewitt is still here means Jewitt will STILL be here!!
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
Profoundwizard
Swell

Sunamiwave
High Tide

Quite frankly I am seriously concerned for the baseball program right now. Not that Dannen will eliminate it but that it is being de-emphasized. If Dannen is going to continue to depreciate the baseball program like this by retaining Jewett what was the point of building Turchin II on valuable athletic department real estate? I thought Turchin II was built because we were committed to becoming a team that regularly made the regionals and occasionally hosted them. That it looks like we will be retaining Jewett is very concerning as to the future of the baseball program.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Profoundwizard
Swell

No reason to be concerned about the baseball program. If the athletic director doesn’t give a fuck, why should we?
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:31 pm No reason to be concerned about the baseball program. If the athletic director doesn’t give a fuck, why should we?
Unfortunately I believe he’s ok with that. I feel he needs to bring baseball success below basketball.
Very disappointing. I’ll probably not renew my tickets until one of these things happen:
Go to a Regional
or Get a new coach
or Get a new AD