Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:15 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:31 pm No reason to be concerned about the baseball program. If the athletic director doesn’t give a fuck, why should we?
Unfortunately I believe he’s ok with that. I feel he needs to bring baseball success below basketball.
Very disappointing. I’ll probably not renew my tickets until one of these things happen:
Go to a Regional
or Get a new coach
or Get a new AD
I don’t see us getting a new baseball coach until we get a new AD

Jaxwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:31 pm No reason to be concerned about the baseball program. If the athletic director doesn’t give a fuck, why should we?
Wizard, I’ve mentioned on here a few times that this is my exact feeling about Tulane athletics as a whole. For my health I decided a few years ago to just try to enjoy the kids competing without the pressure of winning. The Tulane administration over the years have sent us all a message that we’d have to be blind to miss. They hope to but because of financial concerns, they are never going to commit to winning as a priority. Each new AD and coach shows up with that as a goal and once they get here they realize the same lack of true commitment and become ambivalent to winning. They are satisfied to maybe getting a first extension if a little progress is made but then playing out the string banking their money or if a fluke year happens moving on to a better job.
We’ve been watching this for 65 years. It’s not going to change so yes sit back and try to enjoy the kids playing the games with Tulane on their uniforms without getting so hung up on winning.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:03 pm
Wizard, I’ve mentioned on here a few times that this is my exact feeling about Tulane athletics as a whole. For my health I decided a few years ago to just try to enjoy the kids competing without the pressure of winning. The Tulane administration over the years have sent us all a message that we’d have to be blind to miss. They hope to but because of financial concerns, they are never going to commit to winning as a priority. Each new AD and coach shows up with that as a goal and once they get here they realize the same lack of true commitment and become ambivalent to winning. They are satisfied to maybe getting a first extension if a little progress is made but then playing out the string banking their money or if a fluke year happens moving on to a better job.
We’ve been watching this for 65 years. It’s not going to change so yes sit back and try to enjoy the kids playing the games with Tulane on their uniforms without getting so hung up on winning.
I’ve dialed back my fandom recently as well. Will do so even more after the retention of Jewett.
Show Me
Tsunami

Obviously nothing has changed since Rick Dickson left. It not about wins or loses or fundraising. We have an AD that is not held accountable by his boss therefore he doesn’t hold his subordinates accountable.
Same old Tulane. Some things just never change. Holding on to bad hires for way too long. “Show Me” otherwise.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:16 pm FWIW , everyone was in an uproar over losing to Grand Canyon but GCU is in the tournament .

Being one win away from conference champion should not get any coach fired. If that was a valid measure we need to fire our football coach .
We were not one win from being conference champion. UCF was one win from being the conference tournament champion.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I expect an announcment, by end of day Thursday...if no announcement by then, he will be returning
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It may all come down to whether Dannen is willing to leave his lake house this summer, in order to conduct a proper search.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:16 am I expect an announcment, by end of day Thursday...if no announcement by then, he will be returning
Yea. Thursday night Greenbacker meeting. :lol:
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:38 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:16 am I expect an announcment, by end of day Thursday...if no announcement by then, he will be returning
Bring him in, even via Zoom and ask the tough questions!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 am

Hopefully Guerry Smith has a Q&A with him.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:14 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 am

Hopefully Guerry Smith has a Q&A with him.
I would think/hope you Greenbackers would have more impact. He needs to know that baseball is a very important sport to Tulane's most loyal fans.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I remember back in the mid 70's when there was a "Dugout" Club
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

do we keep TJ...well, hmmm...aahhh,,, uuuhhh,,,, ya know,,,I, uh, well ya know.....what mo' or less, be said
anEngineer
Riptide

Clearly Dannen is not satisfied with Jewett or he would have been given an extension long ago. Now you're faced with the choice of a multi-year deal or move on. The fact that nothing has been done yet indicates that Dannen is examining multiple options and not to automatically keep Jewett.
Profoundwizard
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:20 pm Clearly Dannen is not satisfied with Jewett or he would have been given an extension long ago. Now you're faced with the choice of a multi-year deal or move on. The fact that nothing has been done yet indicates that Dannen is examining multiple options and not to automatically keep Jewett.
That’s one way to look at it but
Maybe he did give him an extension a while back and the rumor that began on this board that he was in the final year of his contract was incorrect.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Here’s a list of all the schools from the AAC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, CUSA, PAC 12 and SEC that have not made the NCAA Tournament from 2017-2021 and Also have not made a coaching change

Memphis
Tulane
Boston College ( Super Regional in 2016)
Michigan State
Penn State
Kansas
FIU
Marshall
WKU
Missouri

Those are our baseball peers now, bunch of schools that don’t care.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:48 pm Here’s a list of all the schools from the AAC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, CUSA, PAC 12 and SEC that have not made the NCAA Tournament from 2017-2021 and Also have not made a coaching change

Memphis
Tulane
Michigan State
Penn State
Kansas
FIU
Marshall
WKU
Missouri

That’s a ton of research, if true, very sad. A real statement.
You think TD knows this?
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:44 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:48 pm Here’s a list of all the schools from the AAC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, CUSA, PAC 12 and SEC that have not made the NCAA Tournament from 2017-2021 and Also have not made a coaching change

Memphis
Tulane
Michigan State
Penn State
Kansas
FIU
Marshall
WKU
Missouri

That’s a ton of research, if true, very sad. A real statement.
You think TD knows this?
It’s true, though possible that I missed 1 or 2 schools.

You ask if Troy Dannen knows this, if he cares then he does. I don’t think he cares.
Profoundwizard
Swell

By my count 58/81 schools with baseball in the AAC, ACC, BIG 10, BIG 12, CUSA, PAC 12, and SEC have made at Least 1 NCAA Baseball Tournament from 2017-2021

Here are the other schools that haven’t made it from 2017-2021 but have made a coaching change or are making one now

Rice
UAB
Washington State
Wichita State
Kansas State
Rutgers
Pitt
Virginia Tech
Rutgers
Middle Tennessee
UTSA
USC
Utah
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He’s getting an extension.
In his last 72 games he’s 46-26.
Probably hear something soon on it.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 pm He’s getting an extension.
In his last 72 games he’s 46-26.
Probably hear something soon on it.
Not surprised at all. Dannen is a fucking loser. 90% of the fan base that doesn’t post on this board think TD is doing an incredible job. It’s fucking ridiculous.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This didn’t age well
“Regional or Bust”
https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 465e8.html
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:22 pm This didn’t age well
“Regional or Bust”
Nothing Guerry has ever written has aged well
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Memphis
Tulane
Michigan State
Penn State
Kansas
FIU
Marshall
WKU
Missouri

College World Series:
Tulane: 2001, 2005
Kansas: 1993
Boston College: 1967
Missouri: 1964

Nice company.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:22 pm This didn’t age well
“Regional or Bust”
This hurts.

“Jewett endured the program’s first back-to-back losing seasons since 1963-64”