Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
DaveBrownStreak
High Tide

Nm

HoustonWave
Tsunami

Only if we want to keep our baseball program struggling. He was not ready to be a head coach when Dannen hired him. Jewitt might be gradually learning how to be a head coach, but I don’t think our program can wait any longer for that slow development.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yesterday was a debacle. Hopefully a different team shows up in the next two. If our hitting goes South we may not win another series since the tough conference games in this year’s schedule were backloaded.
Keeping TJ will have to be decided after that. Still too early to judge IMO. We’ve definitely have given away a lot of winnable games earlier in the season that will haunt Jewett. We have to win this series to get at least one quality series win. I’m still holding out hope for that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tufinal4
High Tide

I agree tps- if we cave the rest of this season, Matt Riser is right there and will absolutely take the job at his alma mater. If we don't someone else will.

I was surprised and pleased about Dannen's willingness to cut bait on Dunleavy. He has to be seeing the same thing with Jewett. He saw David Pierce in action, he knows what a winning program looks like. And, he has a 5,000 seat stadium that needs to be filled (bigger than his basketball arena), staring right at him every day.
nawlinspete
Riptide

The HC is not the problem , the pitchers and the pitching coach are .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
kingcole
Low Tide

Not trying to start anything but how long does Jewit have left on his contract ? I remember having almost 2000 fans every game to cheer ,talk,and just get excited with every game no matter who we play now a funeral home is louder.
gbgreenie
Surge

See this kind of disrespectful post is unbecoming of a decent fan base. Simply it should say Extend Jewitts Contract or Not. Simple fire his butt really. Be more mature when posting!!!
ajcalhoun
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02 pm See this kind of disrespectful post is unbecoming of a decent fan base. Simply it should say Extend Jewitts Contract or Not. Simple fire his butt really. Be more mature when posting!!!
I think you might find yourself more at home elsewhere.
God Bless Everyone!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I never thought he was a head coach, especially at a place like TU that has very good history. He was a career assistant for a reason. I don’t think it will end well, with that said he is going to be well over .500 this year with one of the best offenses in the entire nation. There is no way he gets fired.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Maybe somebody has a better memory but all I recall TD saying about this season was that he expected us to win. I took that as just meaning a winning season. I believe most of us would equate winning in baseball at Tulane to making a Regional. We'll know soon enough.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:48 pm I never thought he was a head coach, especially at a place loke TU that has very good history. He was a career assistant for a reason. I don’t think it will end well, with that said he is hoing to be well over .500 this year with one of the best offenses in the entire nation. There is no way he gets fired.
I agree, even with a poor final month of the season I’d be surprised if a change is made. They’ll point to the overall record and our improvements in conference play as well as a very potent offense.
galvezwave
Swell

Outside of a mini resergence where we were ran out of the Baton Rouge regional , Tulane has been bad in baseball for a very long time . This year we’re almost mediocre. It’s a tough job recruiting wise and , in my opinion, the constant stress of finding all the required pieces is what nearly killed Rick jones . And it’s only gotten harder . The “new” stadium has yet to host right? Someone threw away a bunch of money on that thing.
Profoundwizard
Swell

galvezwave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:43 pm Outside of a mini resergence where we were ran out of the Baton Rouge regional , Tulane has been bad in baseball for a very long time . This year we’re almost mediocre. It’s a tough job recruiting wise and , in my opinion, the constant stress of finding all the required pieces is what nearly killed Rick jones . And it’s only gotten harder . The “new” stadium has yet to host right? Someone threw away a bunch of money on that thing.
Bullshit. It’s a good job. Make another David Pierce type hire and you’ll be in the Regionals almost every year
galvezwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:09 pm
galvezwave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:43 pm Outside of a mini resergence where we were ran out of the Baton Rouge regional , Tulane has been bad in baseball for a very long time . This year we’re almost mediocre. It’s a tough job recruiting wise and , in my opinion, the constant stress of finding all the required pieces is what nearly killed Rick jones . And it’s only gotten harder . The “new” stadium has yet to host right? Someone threw away a bunch of money on that thing.
Bullshit. It’s a good job. Make another David Pierce type hire and you’ll be in the Regionals almost every year
I’d like to be proven wrong . But it’s a tough job sorry. There’s not a lot of baseball schools where the size of the parents bank account is a major factor . It eleminates a lot of good players . I know a few
Profoundwizard
Swell

galvezwave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:15 pm
I’d like to be proven wrong . But it’s a tough job sorry. There’s not a lot of baseball schools where the size of the parents bank account is a major factor . It eleminates a lot of good players . I know a few
David Pierce already proved you wrong
galvezwave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:21 pm
galvezwave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:15 pm
David Pierce already proved you wrong
I thought I referenced the pierce mini resergence .
Profoundwizard
Swell

You referenced it but obviously don’t realize that it’s proof that good coaches will win here.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:28 pm You referenced it but obviously don’t realize that it’s proof that good coaches will win here.
Every year, it becomes a little harder for coaches to win here - Tulane is too expensive.

A partial baseball scholarship of anything less than 75% won’t really help someone who doesn’t have a lot of money, and, because a player cannot receive part of a baseball scholarship and a need based scholarship, the fact that Tulane doesn’t meet 100% of need is a factor here.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

We are finally starting to hold coaches accountable for their on-field performance as seen by the firings of Doug Ruse and Mike Dunleavy. Nothing would surprise me right now. I would imagine the chances of Jewett being fired are around 50-50 at this point and really depends on how the rest of the season plays out. It is refreshing to know that the Rick Dickson philosophy of not judging coaches by wins and losses has been flushed down the toilet and no longer applies at Tulane.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Why all the kudos for Pierce.

When he quit the consensus was that he was a failure at recruiting . And to top it off he took players of ours with him .

In other words it was difficult to recruit for Pierce here , qed he left the cupboard bare for Coach Jewett .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Profoundwizard
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:25 pm Why all the kudos for Pierce.

When he quit the consensus was that he was a failure at recruiting . And to top it off he took players of ours with him .

In other words it was difficult to recruit for Pierce here , qed he left the cupboard bare for Coach Jewett .
You’re making excuses just like everyone else. I give kudos to Pierce because he won. It’s proof that the excuses made on here for the last 3 seasons of subpar baseball are bullshit. Get a good coach in here and he will win.
He was barely here long enough for anyone to know definitively if his recruiting was good enough. He did recruit a guy that is going to win AAC player of the year and maybe even national player of the year.
His recruiting was/is better than what Jewett is doing.
Bigschtick
Riptide

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:26 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02 pm See this kind of disrespectful post is unbecoming of a decent fan base. Simply it should say Extend Jewitts Contract or Not. Simple fire his butt really. Be more mature when posting!!!
I think you might find yourself more at home elsewhere.
He is right you know.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dannen should face up to his hiring mistake and go get Cannizaro, Riser or Geautreaux (sp).
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:18 pm Dannen should face up to his hiring mistake and go get Cannizaro, Riser or Geautreaux (sp).
Plenty of good options and I would be very happy with AC but we don’t have to limit ourselves to them
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Travis is a nice guy but just isn’t getting the job done. He’s in year 3 and he has a career losing record against Matt Riser at SELA and Blake Dean at UNO. He’s only beaten UNO once in his last 6 attempts. You have to beat those teams when you’re at Tulane. Just not getting it done. Our RPI is back down to 82. We’d need at least a 55 RPI to have a shot at an at large bid. I say year 3 Regional or else. A winning record in Tulane baseball is a low bar that is always assumed.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981