Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
29%
N0 - Fire His Butt
71%

Total votes: 35
gbgreenie
High Tide

Sun May 19, 2019 4:19 pm

Agree Jake moved up triple A

anEngineer
Surge

Sun May 19, 2019 4:31 pm

The team has improved in the last 2 years. The pitching has not. Being that this recruiting class will be the first where Latham has input as to what we have and what we are bringing in, I think there is enough reason to keep Jewett. If he can demonstrate to Troy that he has a clear plan, that could buy him another year.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Sun May 19, 2019 5:49 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 am
gbgreenie wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm
And yes catcher and pitchers are known as a battery or team. When a Whole pitching staff goes bad and the only change this season was catcher that must be looked at. Called common sense, what is different?
Dude, the pitch calling comes from the dugout. You are insinuating that three years of bad pitching is because d1 caliber catchers are not framing and blocking the ball correctly. We have gone through like 5 catchers in three years, nothing changed. Seriously give it up. Dear god. You want people to be constructive, well what the hell do you know about the intricacies of the pitcher-catcher-pitch calling relationship at the high D1 level? Provide sources.
Although I don't think its the major reason, I think you do have to give some credibility to the catcher being part of the issue. Think about who we've had as catcher the last three years. In 2017 we started with Montalbano, but then he got hurt and we had to play FR Paul Gozzo. The last two years have been Owen and Niemann. Who did we have in 2015 and 2016? Just one of the top ten prospects in all of MiLB right now: Jake Rogers. If you don't think having Rogers behind the plate helped the pitching staff, you're not being honest.
Rogers was perhaps the best defensive catcher in all of college baseball, so ya that helped, that was a luxury. It was much more about keeping base runners honest and reducing wild pitches. So now we need the best catcher in baseball to have our pitching staff succeed? I just don’t know what to say, this is the silliest argument.

I really don’t know what else to say. The staff stinks, it has literally nothing to do with who is catching the ball. Having a good catcher like rogers is no different than having a quality shortstop or other defensive play. Ya’ll can glum onto this thought process but it is way off.
HoustonWave
Swell

Sun May 19, 2019 8:30 pm

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:49 pm
RobertM320 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 am
gbgreenie wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:11 pm
And yes catcher and pitchers are known as a battery or team. When a Whole pitching staff goes bad and the only change this season was catcher that must be looked at. Called common sense, what is different?
Dude, the pitch calling comes from the dugout. You are insinuating that three years of bad pitching is because d1 caliber catchers are not framing and blocking the ball correctly. We have gone through like 5 catchers in three years, nothing changed. Seriously give it up. Dear god. You want people to be constructive, well what the hell do you know about the intricacies of the pitcher-catcher-pitch calling relationship at the high D1 level? Provide sources.
Although I don't think its the major reason, I think you do have to give some credibility to the catcher being part of the issue. Think about who we've had as catcher the last three years. In 2017 we started with Montalbano, but then he got hurt and we had to play FR Paul Gozzo. The last two years have been Owen and Niemann. Who did we have in 2015 and 2016? Just one of the top ten prospects in all of MiLB right now: Jake Rogers. If you don't think having Rogers behind the plate helped the pitching staff, you're not being honest.
Rogers was perhaps the best defensive catcher in all of college baseball, so ya that helped, that was a luxury. It was much more about keeping base runners honest and reducing wild pitches. So now we need the best catcher in baseball to have our pitching staff succeed? I just don’t know what to say, this is the silliest argument.

I really don’t know what else to say. The staff stinks, it has literally nothing to do with who is catching the ball. Having a good catcher like rogers is no different than having a quality shortstop or other defensive play. Ya’ll can glum onto this thought process but it is way off.
Good points, mba. In addition to many walks, our pitchers have drilled many batters—is that on our catcher? Is he framing the pitch behind the batter? Probably not.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana