Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
TURVS71
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:48 pm
TURVS71 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:40 pm Travis Jewitt -3 years

4-11 in last 15 games ;

-Hasn’t Won a Conf. Series this season

-Possible break even or losing conference record

-Likely to not make NCAA tourney for 3rd consecutive year

-First back to back losing seasons (‘17, ‘18) since the mid 1960’s

Please tell me why he should be retained.
Actually won 3 AAC series Cincy, W St and USF.
Correction ..Has not swept any of last 4 conference series

'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

I’d be surprised if they fire TJ. I’d be shocked if they hire AC. The current environment just won’t allow it to pass the board. Not popular, but I would pass on AC as well.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 pm I’d be surprised if they fire TJ. I’d be shocked if they hire AC. The current environment just won’t allow it to pass the board. Not popular, but I would pass on AC as well.
LMAO in regards to AC...."The Board'...what a bunch of hypocrites...when they go out after "meetings' and can't find sum 1 to F#@k, they F#@k each other........
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aegis
High Tide

Absolutely not. Three years in and he still has a bull pen full of gut less pitchers who can not throw a strike. He’s the Captain and is responsible for this collection of garbage. In my opinion Dannen is 1 for 3 with his coaching selections in major sports. He should be held accountable as well. Jewett is buffet Bob 2
Pepper
Swell

Aegis wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 am Absolutely not. Three years in and he still has a bull pen full of gut less pitchers who can not throw a strike. He’s the Captain and is responsible for this collection of garbage. In my opinion Dannen is 1 for 3 with his coaching selections in major sports. He should be held accountable as well. Jewett is buffet Bob 2
I disagree with you on the gutless comment. Everything else is on point.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Show Me
Tsunami

Aegis wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 am Absolutely not. Three years in and he still has a bull pen full of gut less pitchers who can not throw a strike. He’s the Captain and is responsible for this collection of garbage. In my opinion Dannen is 1 for 3 with his coaching selections in major sports. He should be held accountable as well. Jewett is buffet Bob 2
Dannen is like 1 for 5 if you add the swimming and tennis coaches. (2pt conversion from 0-6) My only concern is that I’m worried he may bring in someone worse than Jewett. Hopefully he reaches out to baseball people should he fire TJ.
TJ was the wrong hire from day one when you had AC and MR available. If TJ comes back he’ll just be fired next year. He’s done a lousy job with this Regional program.
Show Me
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:33 pm I’d be surprised if they fire TJ. I’d be shocked if they hire AC. The current environment just won’t allow it to pass the board. Not popular, but I would pass on AC as well.
He was fired for not being forthcoming to his AD.
He had a workplace affair and denied having it to his AD. The AD caught him in a lie and had no choice but to let him go. He made a bad personal decision something I’m sure many have done at some point in their life. Only his happened to be very public. Prior to that his character was impeccable. This is not a #Me too situation it was two consenting adults.
McWave
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 am
He had a workplace affair and denied having it to his AD. The AD caught him in a lie and had no choice but to let him go. He made a bad personal decision something I’m sure many have done at some point in their life. Only his happened to be very public. Prior to that his character was impeccable. This is not a #Me too situation it was two consenting adults.
I thought he was terminated for texting the "workplace affair" non-stop from the dugout while getting swept by USM (0-11, 4-7, and 2-5), losing to TX AM - Corpus Christi (3-6) and McNeese (3-6) all in February 2018. Maybe you can "Show me" I am wrong. But the other actions are also all terminating worthy.

Plus, did you forget how the AC family and friends torched TD for his decision. Sometimes it is better to take the high road. I doubt TD forgot.

I would also be shocked if AC got a shot at TU anytime soon.
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:27 am
I thought he was terminated for texting the "workplace affair" non-stop from the dugout while getting swept by USM (0-11, 4-7, and 2-5), losing to TX AM - Corpus Christi (3-6) and McNeese (3-6) all in February 2018. Maybe you can "Show me" I am wrong. But the other actions are also all terminating worthy.

Plus, did you forget how the AC family and friends torched TD for his decision. Sometimes it is better to take the high road. I doubt TD forgot.

He told his AD he wasn’t involved with the women any longer. The AD noticed AC texting during the game. He then asked AC who was he texting. AC lied and said a coach. The AD then had the Miss St phone checked out and it showed AC was texting the lady not a coach so he got caught in a lie. That lie got him canned.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Agree the pitching is the problem. You nailed it

That said the pitchers ARE NOT gutless . The problem is the pitching coach who has all season been unable to coach our pitchers on how to throw strikes . It is the pitching coach who is the cancer . He must be excised .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
HoustonWave
Tsunami

No doubt TD can find enough reasons to keep TJ. At the same time there are at least as many reasons to fire him now. The key issue is the fact that TJ isn't going to cut it long term (probably no more than one more year)--so what's the point of dragging this out any longer?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Show Me
Tsunami

nawlinspete wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:04 pm

That said the pitchers ARE NOT gutless . The problem is the pitching coach who has all season been unable to coach our pitchers on how to throw strikes . It is the pitching coach who is the cancer . He must be excised .
If he was still alive today Cy Young coaching wouldn’t make any difference.
McWave
High Tide

Show Me wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:25 am

He told his AD he wasn’t involved with the women any longer. The AD noticed AC texting during the game. He then asked AC who was he texting. AC lied and said a coach. The AD then had the Miss St phone checked out and it showed AC was texting the lady not a coach so he got caught in a lie. That lie got him canned.
I was unaware of that.

So, AD learned about ongoing "workplace affair"
AD tries to help AC by letting AC off with a warning to stop the behavior
AC says it over but....
AC continues "workplace affair"
AD sees AC in dugout during a USM sweep texting and inquires about the phone use
AC lies to the AD (who previously tried to help him with a warning) about "workplace affair"
AD (isn't stupid) and checks ACs story (like you would a teenager)
AD calls AC into the office with his findings and fires AC for among other things lying.

Wow!!! That is worst than what I thought I thought AC just got caught and terminated. I didn't realize the AD tried to help him cover it up but AC just couldn't or would stop. Geezzz..Why wouldn't TD hire AC. ;)

Thanks for "showing me".
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

AC has learned a lesson, he no longer uses the Schools phone for his "personal use'...therefore his records cannot be viewed......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
McWave
High Tide

golfnut69 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm AC has learned a lesson, he no longer uses the Schools phone for his "personal use'...therefore his records cannot be viewed......
He also needs to make sure the "workplace affair" does not use school property... ;)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

You love to show off your ignorance. How many years has current pitching coach been in his role? How many years has Jewett been in his role? How long has it been since Tulane had a decent pitching staff? Answer these questions, and look at what the constant was for those three years. Your idiotic posts and our coach are what has remained the last three years, or, looking at it another way, the same three years since Ross Massey was a damned good pitcher, out pitching his brother that is 3 years older!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Show Me
Tsunami

McWave wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 pm
Show Me wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:25 am

I was unaware of that.

So, AD learned about ongoing "workplace affair"
AD tries to help AC by letting AC off with a warning to stop the behavior
AC says it over but....
AC continues "workplace affair"
AD sees AC in dugout during a USM sweep texting and inquires about the phone use
AC lies to the AD (who previously tried to help him with a warning) about "workplace affair"
AD (isn't stupid) and checks ACs story (like you would a teenager)
AD calls AC into the office with his findings and fires AC for among other things lying.

Wow!!! That is worst than what I thought I thought AC just got caught and terminated. I didn't realize the AD tried to help him cover it up but AC just couldn't or would stop. Geezzz..Why wouldn't TD hire AC. ;)

Thanks for "showing me".
You’ve got it correct. But it’s not any worse than anything else. The AD hired AC and many in the athletic dept knew about the affair. The lady left school and went with the FB coach to Florida. So that should have ended it. However it apparently not.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm AC has learned a lesson, he no longer uses the Schools phone for his "personal use'...therefore his records cannot be viewed......
LoL, maybe AC and Hugh Freeze should chat.
dz1
Ripple

I actually prefer Jake Gautreau as the next head coach over AC. I think everything about him fits perfectly with the Tulane job.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

dz1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm I actually prefer Jake Gautreau as the next head coach over AC. I think everything about him fits perfectly with the Tulane job.
Jake would be a good fit for sure.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

dz1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:21 pm I actually prefer Jake Gautreau as the next head coach over AC. I think everything about him fits perfectly with the Tulane job.
No knock on Jake but AC has a much more impressive résumé.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

What about Matt Deggs from Sam Houston State? A proven head coach who has Sam Houston in first place of the Southland Conference standings most years. I assume Deggs is the coach who took over for David Pierce when Pierce left Sam Houston for Tulane. We need to give this guy a serious look.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nawlinspete
Riptide

While cheating on your wife and family is a death sentence in NCAA coaching multiple U S presidents for decades ( or centuries ) have done and continue to with impunity .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Profoundwizard
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 pm What about Matt Deggs from Sam Houston State? A proven head coach who has Sam Houston in first place of the Southland Conference standings most years. I assume Deggs is the coach who took over for David Pierce when Pierce left Sam Houston for Tulane. We need to give this guy a serious look.
Agreed. Very good coach
Aegis
High Tide

:?:

Latham is Jewett’s second pitching coach. Three years in with same results you have to put it on the skipper.