Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

AC as Head Coach, Jake Gautreau as associate HC, and Dan Latham as pitching coach. Make it happen, Troy!

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 am At some point I think most will see I was correct that when the scholarship and transfer rules were changed in college baseball, Tulane’s program was dealt a severe blow. This is because Rick Jones strategy of bringing in immediately eligible transfer pitchers and using selective full scholarships for outstanding two way players both were no longer allowed.
This has proven out to be correct. Those changes make it not impossible but highly probable that high tuition private, non P5 programs will not be able to attract the pitching depth required to compete at high levels again. The recruiting restrictions caused by those changes have accomplished exactly what the P5 programs intended.
It is ironic that football and basketball are now going to an open transfer policy while baseball has gone in the opposite direction.
I bring this up to once again point out that sure coaching hires can make a difference but IMHO not a dramatic one. Skip Bergman, Rick Jones or even Tony Larussa would have great difficulty recruiting the talent needed for Tulane to return to consistent postseason status.
Then your opinion is wrong. That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever read.
Poor MLB teams like the Rays and A’s are successful because of good scouting and good player development. In college baseball your coaches are the scouting department and they do the player development. There are plenty of smart coaches that Tulane could afford that can navigate the problems here and put us in the Regionals more often than not. Dismissing the importance of coaching just shows how ignorant you are on this subject.
Jaxwave
Swell

I offered to put my money where my mouth was back then when rules changed and had no takers. Willing to bet anybody going forward that Tulane will not make regionals annually. I lose the bet if they do, I win if they don’t. We’ve made it once since the rule changed.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We made it twice.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 am We made it twice.
Both times under a coach that could school our current coach until the cows come home. (I'm agreeing with you, win, not aruging).
Wavetime
Swell

I'm totally on the fence. Jewitt knows what it takes to win and had the pedigree that uptown is looking for. And, we have made a huge improvement from last year. If we don't go to a regional next year thats yeah, I'd pin my ears back and go for Riser or someone with a winning head coaching background.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If we keep Jewett after this season, just because he squeezes out a winning record, we will just be treading water, because next year’s tougher schedule will do him in. So do we want to wait another year to start the rebuild?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 am I offered to put my money where my mouth was back then when rules changed and had no takers. Willing to bet anybody going forward that Tulane will not make regionals annually. I lose the bet if they do, I win if they don’t. We’ve made it once since the rule changed.
When we get a new coach, I’ll take you up on it.

But seriously, do you not understand that the Rays and A’s are at a bigger disadvantage than Tulane is and yet they are still successful because of scouting and player development as well as probably some other analytical stuff? That’s how Tulane has to do it and that’s all on the coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 am
Jaxwave wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:39 am I offered to put my money where my mouth was back then when rules changed and had no takers. Willing to bet anybody going forward that Tulane will not make regionals annually. I lose the bet if they do, I win if they don’t. We’ve made it once since the rule changed.

But seriously, do you not understand that the Rays and A’s are at a bigger disadvantage than Tulane is and yet they are still successful because of scouting and player development as well as probably some other analytical stuff? That’s how Tulane has to do it and that’s all on the coaches.
tulane's situation is no where close to the A's or the Ray's....both of those have at leat 8 years of scouting, stats and feedback thru high school and in the case of the A's college ball...they stay away from high school phenoms.....Tulane has no where near those numbers to look thru...the A' and Rays have draft choices and free agent siginings to develope...Tulane has none of those minor league assets...the A's and Ray's may sign 60 to 70 kids a year...how many does Tulane sign and out of those 60 to 70 a year, how mnay make it even to double A ball much less the Big's ......Tulane's minor league, are the JC' and CC's and if they are not academically acceptable, those are out of the window and onto LSU
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

At it's most competitive levels, NCAA baseball is almost single A minor leagues.
Jaxwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:44 am We made it twice.
I’d still be ahead on the bet.
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:13 pm

tulane's situation is no where close to the A's or the Ray's....both of those have at leat 8 years of scouting, stats and feedback thru high school and in the case of the A's college ball...they stay away from high school phenoms.....Tulane has no where near those numbers to look thru...the A' and Rays have draft choices and free agent siginings to develope...Tulane has none of those minor league assets...the A's and Ray's may sign 60 to 70 kids a year...how many does Tulane sign and out of those 60 to 70 a year, how mnay make it even to double A ball much less the Big's ......Tulane's minor league, are the JC' and CC's and if they are not academically acceptable, those are out of the window and onto LSU
It is very similar to the A's and Rays situations. 8 years of scouting? That's ridiculous, you think they were doing in-depth scouting reports on all these kids as High School freshman? Would be a waste of time in most cases. Their 11th round pick in 2015, Ian Gibaut was throwing 82 MPH at his Perfect Game event in 2011 as a HS Junior. He touches 99 now.
Nobody said Tulane gets to bring in as many guys as the A's and Rays, it's obviously not the exact same, don't be stupid. The point is they are at a disadvantage compared to their competition because they are the poorest teams in the league. The A's and Rays aren't competing with Tulane they are competing with the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros etc. They all get to bring in 60-70 kids a year as Free Agents and draft picks too.
Even when the A's/Rays get an early pick they don't always get to take the best available either, they often cant afford to,

BTW, the Rays best player was a High school draft pick, Blake Snell.
wavemania
Surge

Tulane is its own worst enemy. Sure, Dannen could have hired better, and Jewitt isn't that great of a coach. But to really compete, all Tulane has to do is put a waiver in for any La kid wanting to go to Tulane and has the grades. Make whatever TOPS gives to a local kid for tuition to a state college the same percentage is paid for at Tulane. So if a La kid can go to LSU for free on tops, Tulane matches that for free also. Then you can have a better chance of getting that top tier talent
greenie78
Riptide

We just need to stop hiring first time head coaches when it comes to our big 3 sports. The AAC is just too tough for a school like Tulane to hire an unproven guy. Find a proven winner at a lower level like Fritz and Hunter. That formula works. It’s not rocket science.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I don’t see it unless we win win out or win the AAC tournament and that’s unlikely with our current pitching situation. His biggest downfall has been his miss on signing pitchers. The position players he signed have turned out fine. But at a school like Tulane you can’t miss that much on pitchers. We have too many guys on the staff that can’t get the ball over the plate. I’ve never seen anything like this since I’ve been following Wave baseball. It’s too bad because we have Super Regional potential with our bats.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:01 am I don’t see it unless we win win out or win the AAC tournament and that’s unlikely with our current pitching situation. His biggest downfall has been his miss on signing pitchers. The position players he signed have turned out fine. But at a school like Tulane you can’t miss that much on pitchers. We have too many guys on the staff that can’t get the ball over the plate. I’ve never seen anything like this since I’ve been following Wave baseball. It’s too bad because we have Super Regional potential with our bats.
Sorry , but with virtually every pitcher ineffective the problem is the pitching coach .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Pepper
Swell

Experiment over.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:21 pm

It is very similar to the A's and Rays situations. 8 years of scouting? That's ridiculous, you think they were doing in-depth scouting reports on all these kids as High School freshman? Would be a waste of time in most cases. Their 11th round pick in 2015, Ian Gibaut was throwing 82 MPH at his Perfect Game event in 2011 as a HS Junior. He touches 99 now.
Nobody said Tulane gets to bring in as many guys as the A's and Rays, it's obviously not the exact same, don't be stupid. The point is they are at a disadvantage compared to their competition because they are the poorest teams in the league. The A's and Rays aren't competing with Tulane they are competing with the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros etc. They all get to bring in 60-70 kids a year as Free Agents and draft picks too.
Even when the A's/Rays get an early pick they don't always get to take the best available either, they often cant afford to,

Great for the Rays....the A's would rather draft kids with college expereince...l...baseball is filled with 95 mph "flamethrowers', rarely are they actually "Pitchers"....and with today's IT, goin back 8 years, if the info is available, is not that big of a deal....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Great for the Rays....the A's would rather draft kids with college expereince...l...baseball is filled with 95 mph "flamethrowers', rarely are they actually "Pitchers"....and with today's IT, goin back 8 years, if the info is available, is not that big of a deal....
It’s not that big of a deal because the information is likely worthless.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 am We just need to stop hiring first time head coaches when it comes to our big 3 sports. The AAC is just too tough for a school like Tulane to hire an unproven guy. Find a proven winner at a lower level like Fritz and Hunter. That formula works. It’s not rocket science.
I would say no to anyone who isn't at least the equivalent of an OC or DC at a P5/Pro level or a HC at a G5 program performing at a high level under that HC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I think TJ will get one more year....
pansdad
Ripple

Hell no we don't keep him. Giving a coach with his record is the definition of insanity: do the same thing over and over expecting a different result.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:52 pm I think TJ will get one more year....
I don’t see TD paying another buyout after the bball move. The delay will just set the baseball program another year, but thus is the TU reality.

I am waiting to hear how TJ can make TU into a consistent regional team.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

You have no clue if u r comparing a struggling college program to one of 30 MLB teams. Dear god. The fact that they have a draft alone makes that opinion asinine. Ya there are MLB teams who face challenges not sure how one extrapolates that fact to college baseball. There are pro teams in every sport who face an up hill climb, are they all equivalent to TU baseball?
TURVS71
Swell

It is time for a change at the end of this baseball season. Tulane baseball cannot be allowed to continue in this mediocre manner. Jewitt year 3 is almost complete and unless we win the conference tourney which is unlikely, we are again left out of the NCAA’s.. Blaming previous recruiting, etc. is not a viable excuse, IMO. A coaching change must be made.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"