Do We Keep Jewett?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

Has Jewett earned another year?

Yes - Contract Extension
23%
N0 - Fire His Butt
77%

Total votes: 44
Pepper
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:57 am Travis is a nice guy but just isn’t getting the job done. He’s in year 3 and he has a career losing record against Matt Riser at SELA and Blake Dean at UNO. He’s only beaten UNO once in his last 6 attempts. You have to beat those teams when you’re at Tulane. Just not getting it done. Our RPI is back down to 82. We’d need at least a 55 RPI to have a shot at an at large bid. I say year 3 Regional or else. A winning record in Tulane baseball is a low bar that is always assumed.
Agreed. He's the CJ of baseball. I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt but he's not getting the job done.

"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I didn't think I would be saying this, and certainly not so soon after his debacle at MSU. But TD has to think long and hard about getting Andy Cannizaro, whom would probably let bygones be bygones to get back into D1 (and out of HS). I've tried to give TJ the benefit of the doubt, but as we all see the program is not where it needs to be or should be given the investment Tulane makes in Baseball.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jaxwave
Swell

At some point I think most will see I was correct that when the scholarship and transfer rules were changed in college baseball, Tulane’s program was dealt a severe blow. This is because Rick Jones strategy of bringing in immediately eligible transfer pitchers and using selective full scholarships for outstanding two way players both were no longer allowed.
This has proven out to be correct. Those changes make it not impossible but highly probable that high tuition private, non P5 programs will not be able to attract the pitching depth required to compete at high levels again. The recruiting restrictions caused by those changes have accomplished exactly what the P5 programs intended.
It is ironic that football and basketball are now going to an open transfer policy while baseball has gone in the opposite direction.
I bring this up to once again point out that sure coaching hires can make a difference but IMHO not a dramatic one. Skip Bergman, Rick Jones or even Tony Larussa would have great difficulty recruiting the talent needed for Tulane to return to consistent postseason status.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 am At some point I think most will see I was correct that when the scholarship and transfer rules were changed in college baseball, Tulane’s program was dealt a severe blow. This is because Rick Jones strategy of bringing in immediately eligible transfer pitchers and using selective full scholarships for outstanding two way players both were no longer allowed.
This has proven out to be correct. Those changes make it not impossible but highly probable that high tuition private, non P5 programs will not be able to attract the pitching depth required to compete at high levels again. The recruiting restrictions caused by those changes have accomplished exactly what the P5 programs intended.
It is ironic that football and basketball are now going to an open transfer policy while baseball has gone in the opposite direction.
I bring this up to once again point out that sure coaching hires can make a difference but IMHO not a dramatic one. Skip Bergman, Rick Jones or even Tony Larussa would have great difficulty recruiting the talent needed for Tulane to return to consistent postseason status.
So I guess you agree with Dannen’s not-so-subtle effort to de-emphasize our baseball program.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 am I didn't think I would be saying this, and certainly not so soon after his debacle at MSU. But TD has to think long and hard about getting Andy Cannizaro, whom would probably let bygones be bygones to get back into D1 (and out of HS). I've tried to give TJ the benefit of the doubt, but as we all see the program is not where it needs to be or should be given the investment Tulane makes in Baseball.
I would hope this would be the case. If AC and his family can work through the issues, who are others to be unforgiving. Dannen could even put in a morality clause into any such contract—though I wonder how many other Tulane coaches, administrators or faculty could live up to such a clause. There is clearly an opportunity for Tulane, Dannen and AC to mutually help each other out of their current situations.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Wed May 01, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jaxwave wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 am At some point I think most will see I was correct that when the scholarship and transfer rules were changed in college baseball, Tulane’s program was dealt a severe blow. This is because Rick Jones strategy of bringing in immediately eligible transfer pitchers and using selective full scholarships for outstanding two way players both were no longer allowed.
Definitely hurts. But David Pierce got us two Regionals in the two years he was here.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:43 am
Definitely hurts. But David Pierce got us two Regionals in the two years he was here.
While I agree (with Jaxwave) that rule changes and our tuition make success difficult, two of the top 5 programs in the D1 Baseball poll are Stanford and Vanderbilt. So it's still possible.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I forgot to give credit to Jake G as well. Jake brought in the talent that helped David P get those two Regionals. Besides being his dream job one other reason Pierce left is because he saw the difficulties in trying to recruit at a small endowment private like Tulane. It’s tough but those two guys had success after the rules changed
Tulane Class of 1981
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am
While I agree (with Jaxwave) that rule changes and our tuition make success difficult, two of the top 5 programs in the D1 Baseball poll are Stanford and Vanderbilt. So it's still possible.
They meet 100% of need with scholarships. Tulane isn’t comparable, since it doesn’t meet 100% of need even with loans.

Edit: And we all know that Tulane needs to keep the scholarship money is does have available to offer scholarships to wealthy, high scoring students. Otherwise, they (generally) wouldn’t come to Tulane.

http://blog.collegegreenlight.com/blog/ ... -need/#C22

The below link uses an example of Tulane in 2015 as an example of how it works.

http://www.thecollegesolution.com/schoo ... al-need-2/
gbgreenie
Surge

Hire Matt Riser, this pitching staff, is not getting it done falls on Jewitt. Buck stops at the Head Coach!!! Starting to see flustration, Pellirin looked pissed when pulled, players showed flustration on the field. If things don't turn around by season's end start looking.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02 pm See this kind of disrespectful post is unbecoming of a decent fan base. Simply it should say Extend Jewitts Contract or Not. Simple fire his butt really. Be more mature when posting!!!
See next post below!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:18 pm Hire Matt Riser, this pitching staff, is not getting it done falls on Jewitt. Buck stops at the Head Coach!!! Starting to see flustration, Pellirin looked pissed when pulled, players showed flustration on the field. If things don't turn around by season's end start looking.
See previous post above!
GreenLantern
Riptide

gbgreenie wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:18 pm Hire Matt Riser, this pitching staff, is not getting it done falls on Jewitt. Buck stops at the Head Coach!!! Starting to see flustration, Pellirin looked pissed when pulled, players showed flustration on the field. If things don't turn around by season's end start looking.
gbgreenie, I don't disagree with what you're saying but there's this: During the basketball season (which was a much more catastrophic fail than this baseball season) you consistently expressed anger at anyone who suggested that the program was in freefall and that Dunleavy should be released. How do you justify your position that Jewett should be terminated with (arguably) a better record?
Jaxwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am
They are P5 programs.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

@jax: They are P5 programs, but do the P5's have any more flexibility in applying scholarships/aide packages for baseball players than non-P5's? I understand the math of having more available athletic income, but I thought all AAC schools agreed to match "full cost of attendance". With the (some would argue) over-investment we've made in baseball, shouldn't our admin be giving as much financial support to the players as possible to put the program in it's best chance to succeed?

I'm just missing a piece of the puzzle, I'm sure. Help me out!
Pepper
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm @jax: They are P5 programs, but do the P5's have any more flexibility in applying scholarships/aide packages for baseball players than non-P5's? I understand the math of having more available athletic income, but I thought all AAC schools agreed to match "full cost of attendance". With the (some would argue) over-investment we've made in baseball, shouldn't our admin be giving as much financial support to the players as possible to put the program in it's best chance to succeed?

The bottom line is the problem with Tulane is Tulane.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Time to let him go...
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
NotJtS
Low Tide

Maybe we should get rid of the guy who hired Jewett.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:51 pm @jax: They are P5 programs, but do the P5's have any more flexibility in applying scholarships/aide packages for baseball players than non-P5's? I understand the math of having more available athletic income, but I thought all AAC schools agreed to match "full cost of attendance". With the (some would argue) over-investment we've made in baseball, shouldn't our admin be giving as much financial support to the players as possible to put the program in it's best chance to succeed?

From what I understand, Vandy, Stanford and Duke provide full need based scholarship. This preumably alows them to have baseball players on high to full need based scholarships outside of athletic scholarships. Now what I have never heard confirmed is why or whether these need based or academic scholarships count against the 11.7 available athletic scholarships. Also some some schools like Rice have minoriy scholarships.

I the way they can circumvent the 11.7 is they they apply the aame need based scholarships accross all students, so a place like TU cannot give need aid to a student just cause they are a baseball players because TU doesn’t apply the same standard to all students.

With all that said, this program ahould not be going three years without going to post season. There are places like Dallas Baptist, Pepperdine and TCU who are in similar financial poitikn to TU but seemed to have navigated the space much better.
DrBox
Riptide

He won't have to look far for replacements. One is right down the road. As TPS said, you can't lose to UNO and Southeastern.
The one common thread through the last 3 dismal seasons is TJ
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NotJtS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:40 pm Maybe we should get rid of the guy who hired Jewett.
I am vehemently against this. TD is making coaches accountable, and took a big step up by firing MD.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:47 pm

From what I understand, Vandy, Stanford and Duke provide full need based scholarship. This preumably alows them to have baseball players on high to full need based scholarships outside of athletic scholarships. Now what I have never heard confirmed is why or whether these need based or academic scholarships count against the 11.7 available athletic scholarships. Also some some schools like Rice have minoriy scholarships.

I the way they can circumvent the 11.7 is they they apply the aame need based scholarships accross all students, so a place like TU cannot give need aid to a student just cause they are a baseball players because TU doesn’t apply the same standard to all students.

With all that said, this program ahould not be going three years without going to post season. There are places like Dallas Baptist, Pepperdine and TCU who are in similar financial poitikn to TU but seemed to have navigated the space much better.
This. Tulane situation is as follows with each item reasonably broken out::

1. Endowment and its effect on Scholarships - Tulane's endowment is smaller than its private AAU "peer" institutions in this region and on the west coast (Rice, Vanderbilt, and Stanford have been mentioned here), and this results in Tulane having less money to spend on scholarships on other schools.

2. Tulane Merit Scholarships and high scores (ACT/SAT) - Tulane has carved out a niche for itself as a "safety" school - basically the lowest ranked school many applicants would attend in a worst case scenario. Tulane's admin is aware of this, and has leveraged that by offering a significant amount meaningful merit scholarships in order to entice high scoring applicants from wealthier households that otherwise would have attended a higher ranked school at full price (or close to it) since those schools have limited/no merit scholarships and the applicant would not be eligible for a need based scholarship at those schools to come Tulane. While this is extremely effective and is reflected in how wealthy Tulane's student body is*, it uses a large amount of Tulane's available scholarship funding, so there is a relatively limited amount of scholarships remaining for applicants with lower scores.

3. Need-based Scholarships and Baseball Scholarships. As everyone knows, NCAA D1 allows for 11.7 scholarships for baseball, and this obviously creates issues for expensive private schools. However, the NCAA allows for need based scholarships to be given to athletes as long as the athletes do not receive any athletic aid. This is what the wealthier private schools leverage to get players into their programs - they can afford it either due to their sheer wealth or due to limiting their scholarship expenses on merit scholarships. Tulane, in contrast, has a significant portion of its scholarships tied to merit in an effort to maintain (and increase) high scores.

That make sense?

*For some validity here, the New York Times did a study on how wealthy students in different undergraduate programs are, and Tulane has the #55 wealthiest undergrad. That doesn't sound like its crazy given that Tulane's undergrad is in the 40's in the US News National University rankings, but that ignores (1) how many hyper expensive liberal arts schools there are and how Tulane beats many of them for wealthy undergraduate students and (2) how many wealthier applicants self-select to applying to only certain schools (i.e. they wouldn't consider a local state school to be a safety unless they lived in a state with great instate schools - Texas/California/etc.). WashU, which does the same thing as Tulane as a safety school with big scholarships for wealthy students that generally wouldn't receive one at a higher ranked school, has the wealthiest undergrad. For further clarity, the following institutions have less wealthy undergrads than Tulane: Northwestern, Oberlin, Swarthmore, USC, Rice, Amherst, Carnegie Mellon, NYU, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, Emory, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Stanford, Michigan, Cornell, UChicago, MIT, Brandeis, Columbia, etc. It's not by chance that Tulane's undergrad is wealthier than those schools.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

If Tulane fires Jewett it will be interesting in that there will be a lot of pressure on Dannen to hire Riser or Cannizzaro. However Dannen still must conduct a national search to ensure he gets the best candidate for the job although those two will be near the top of the list. I don’t know who I would prefer between Riser and Cannizzaro. I think Cannizzaro would get us further ahead as a program and I do believe his personal indiscretions are between him and his family. However, the fact that he had an affair with a university employee shows such poor judgement and character on his part and it creates the potential for litigation against the university. Obviously Cannizzaro deserves another chance at some point but I do not know if enough time has passed for him to get that second chance yet.
tnelly15
Riptide

I think our ceiling would be higher with Cannizaro over Riser. Outside of the Tulane related candidates I think Matt Deggs would be my top choice.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’d be fine with Jake G, Andy C or Matt R.
The fact that they understand the Tulane tuition situation gives them one up on anyone else.
Tulane Class of 1981