SELA Spanks the Wave 10-3

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Pepper wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:42 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:28 am
Pepper wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:03 am Our rpi was so bad after the 1st month, the mid week games mean nothing. Have to win the conference and go deep into the conf tourney to secure a bid.
I think it's time to add Pete to the "cannot see post" display.
I wouldn’t say they mean nothing. We need to win them to stay where we are so that we can really gain ground on the weekends.
If we win the conference we’re most likely getting in regardless of whether or not we make a deep run in the AAC Tournament.
Winning the conference means we probably win a road series from the RPI #9 ECU and beat an RPI top 30 UConn team. That would do wonders for the RPI.
My point was the mid week games won't improve our rpi. Those teams are a drain. The problem I see is we are gonna need some of the midweek pitchers once you get into conf tourney play.
+1, last night's embarrassment only lowered our rpi from 87 to 89. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/rpi-live

ECU, rpi 9, :o series this weekend is a must win, then UCF, rpi 76, then after that Houston, rpi 38, and then UCONN, rpi 24.

Winning the ECU series would skyrocket our rpi, we still control our own destiny, but?

Pepper
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:35 am Sorry but I disagree about the lack of talent angle. There is talent on the staff which is what makes this all the more frustrating. We have guys that can bring it, guys with good movement on the ball. They all have had outings where they showed it and we think ok he's broken through only to see him revert. I believe it's mental at this point. We'll never know where it seeped in but the control issues began and it's so ingrained in their mindsets that they just can't break free from it. The word is there will be a huge turnover in the staff which will allow Latham to impart the mindset he wants with them from the beginning.
Win what happened to 3 of our pitchers who signed last year (Oliva, Ariza and Wallace)?
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
Pepper
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 am Studied the catchers tonight. I was right. The problem goes beyond our pitching staff. Nieman does not give the staff a consistent target. He has a little jump most of the time the pitchers are in their windup. Southeasterns catcher is set when their pitcher is in motion. He was moving his glove inside and outside depending where he wanted his pitcher to throw. Neiman has his glove in one position facing down. A pitcher throws as if the batter is not there into the catchers glove but he needs non moving stationary target. Latham easy fix, when your whole staff has issues look at the catche
Question, were you born this way or it take years of honing?

http://lionsroarnews.com/20088/sports/l ... ave/#photo
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:51 am Jonathan was a whole lot smarter than this idiot.
I think you're confusing Jonathan with jonathanjoseph.
Just checked, JonathanJoseph joined GoTula on 12/1/2010 but hasn't been active since 8/8/2017.
gbgreenie
Surge

Present the pitcher with a good target. Your mitt should be held just above your knees or the knees of the batter. Your mitt should not obstruct your vision. A good rule of thumb is to provide your pitcher with a target as soon as he begins his windup. If the pitcher is in the stretch position, present a target after you give your sign. You may have to adjust this depending on how quickly the pitcher delivers to the plate. As the pitcher delivers, you can relax your wrist. This is more comfortable and will allow you to react quicker than with a tense wrist. As you catch the ball, firm up your wrist so the ball doesn't drag you mitt backwards. Remember your arm position and set a good target!!!

KEYS: Square to Pitcher, Comfort, Balance, Low Athletic Position, Arm Position, Palm Toward Pitcher, Target, Relaxed Stance
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 am
DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:51 am Jonathan was a whole lot smarter than this idiot.
I think you're confusing Jonathan with jonathanjoseph.
I think you're right. Both were often times hard to deal with, but JJ was more intelligent. That being said, I still think Jonathan is more intelligent than pete.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:06 am
winwave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:35 am Sorry but I disagree about the lack of talent angle. There is talent on the staff which is what makes this all the more frustrating. We have guys that can bring it, guys with good movement on the ball. They all have had outings where they showed it and we think ok he's broken through only to see him revert. I believe it's mental at this point. We'll never know where it seeped in but the control issues began and it's so ingrained in their mindsets that they just can't break free from it. The word is there will be a huge turnover in the staff which will allow Latham to impart the mindset he wants with them from the beginning.
Win what happened to 3 of our pitchers who signed last year (Oliva, Ariza and Wallace)?
I'm not sure. Your guess is as good as mine.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Pepper
Swell

[/quote]

[/quote]

These guys all signed LOI's but they are not even on the roster, nor could I find them at any other school.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 pm Win what happened to 3 of our pitchers who signed last year (Oliva, Ariza and Wallace)?
[/quote]

These guys all signed LOI's but they are not even on the roster, nor could I find them at any other school.
[/quote]

Did they go pro? Injuries?
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 am Studied the catchers tonight. I was right. The problem goes beyond our pitching staff. Nieman does not give the staff a consistent target. He has a little jump most of the time the pitchers are in their windup. Southeasterns catcher is set when their pitcher is in motion. He was moving his glove inside and outside depending where he wanted his pitcher to throw. Neiman has his glove in one position facing down. A pitcher throws as if the batter is not there into the catchers glove but he needs non moving stationary target. Latham easy fix, when your whole staff has issues look at the catche
This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:08 pm
Pepper wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:44 pm Win what happened to 3 of our pitchers who signed last year (Oliva, Ariza and Wallace)?
[/quote]

[/quote]

They got cut. All were here in the Fall. Ariza and Oliver play for San Jacinto JC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:51 pm
There's a HUGE difference between giving your pitcher a good target (pre-release) versus framing the pitch (at the time it hits the catchers glove.) One is done for the pitchers benefit the other for the umpire's benefit.

I'm totally with you Profoundwizard. If it were that simple, don't you think guys that have been successful coaching pitching and catching (and their paychecks depend upon their success) would have made the simple adjustments?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:12 pm
How do you explain all the HBP’s?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Pepper
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:52 pm
[/quote]

They got cut. All were here in the Fall. Ariza and Oliver play for San Jacinto JC.
[/quote]

There lies the problem. 50% of the pitchers in the recruiting class get cut before the season starts. Hopefully, Latham can bring in a better talent pool.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Pepper wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 am
[/quote]

There lies the problem. 50% of the pitchers in the recruiting class get cut before the season starts. Hopefully, Latham can bring in a better talent pool.
[/quote]

speaking of San Jac...overall record of 43-21....conference 29-9....home record 20-4..... pitching must be terrible
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:03 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:51 pm
There's a HUGE difference between giving your pitcher a good target (pre-release) versus framing the pitch (at the time it hits the catchers glove.) One is done for the pitchers benefit the other for the umpire's benefit.

I'm totally with you Profoundwizard. If it were that simple, don't you think guys that have been successful coaching pitching and catching (and their paychecks depend upon their success) would have made the simple adjustments?
Not to mention the fact that if the catcher was doing something, or not something, so fundamental as to take down most of our pitching staff, don’t you think a few of the pitchers would let the catcher and coaching staff know what the problem is. Pitching is primarily a talent issue. Bad coaching can screw up a decent pitcher (ie forcing change of arm angle, etc), but coaching can rarely significantly improve pitching—especially at the college level, where pitch coaching isn’t particularly good in general. If I had a son coming out of high school, who was a highly ranked pitcher, I would definitely steer him towards signing with a pro organization—not so much for a position player.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:14 am
Pepper wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 am
[/quote]
speaking of San Jac...overall record of 43-21....conference 29-9....home record 20-4..... pitching must be terrible
[/quote]

That. Plus the point I made above holds. There is talent on the current staff and yet the control issues persist. It's more mental than physical with this group.
gbgreenie
Surge

Framing and moving when the pitcher is in his delivery are not the same. Nieman was hopping with pitchers in motion, If the pitcher is concentrating on the mitt at the same time that is a problem. When the pitcher begins his motion the catcher must be stationary. When the pitcher is in motion the batters eyes are on the pitcher not the catcher.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:35 pm Framing and moving when the pitcher is in his delivery are not the same. Nieman was hopping with pitchers in motion, If the pitcher is concentrating on the mitt at the same time that is a problem. When the pitcher begins his motion the catcher must be stationary. When the pitcher is in motion the batters eyes are on the pitcher not the catcher.
Who says the catcher must be stationary? That's ludicrous. Your last sentence is the reason most good catchers at levels FAR ABOVE college ball are in motion when the pitcher is in his windup.

You just don't get it. Framing is for the umpire, and has to do with how the ball is received and letting the ump get a good look.