Tulane’s difficulty with transfers

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Coach Willie Fritz has mentioned several times it’s extremely difficult to get transfers to Tulane and that he has to develope talent in house. Most of those transfers that he has gotten in have been have been grad transfers or from elite schools (Vandy, Brown, Umiami). Our most recent Juco transfer Anderson Had the 3rd highest gpa in his high school class.

I have heard we do accept minimum NCAA qualifiers now and have athlete friendly majors but we have one of the lowest transfer rates in D1. I would love from those more knowledgeable then myself for more info. I am assuming this is a credit transfer issue ? Any hope of that loosening up or special exceptions ?

I mention this primarily as it applies to Ron Hunter. I believe he brought in a great deal of talent to GA State through transfers. Lord knows there will be plenty of players coming and going this year and next.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here’s what I’ve been told.
1) We can only take a transfer if that person was able to qualify as an incoming TU freshman. Meaning test scores and grades have to be there. Not NCAA minimum for athletes. This is the problem. The student had to score a 30 or better just like every other student.
The 25th percentile ACT score is 30, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 33. In other words, a 30 places you below average, while a 33 will move you up to above average. There's no absolute ACT requirement at Tulane University, but they really want to see at least a 30 to have a chance at being considered.
Memphis will take a kid that scored an 18 and went somewhere else. Tulane will not.
Graduate students are treated differently.
Tulane will accept NCAA minimum for athletes as freshman however only that. If they don’t enroll at Tulane as a freshman they can’t tranfer later from another school with that low score. They now have to compete for a spot with the general student body. Meaning high test scores originally.

2) Transferring credits to Tulane has been difficult. Tulane won’t accept many classes even from higher ranked schools. We once tried to get a basketball player from a top academic school but a few classes didn’t transfer over and we lost out because of that.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 am Here’s what I’ve been told.
1) We can only take a transfer if that person was able to qualify as an incoming TU freshman. Meaning test scores and grades have to be there. Not NCAA minimum for athletes. This is the problem. The student had to score a 30 or better just like every other student.
The 25th percentile ACT score is 30, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 33. In other words, a 30 places you below average, while a 33 will move you up to above average. There's no absolute ACT requirement at Tulane University, but they really want to see at least a 30 to have a chance at being considered.
Memphis will take a kid that scored an 18 and went somewhere else. Tulane will not.
Tulane will accept NCAA minimum for athletes as freshman however only that. If they don’t enroll at Tulane as a freshman they can’t tranfer later from another school with that low score. They now have to compete for a spot with the general student body. Meaning high test scores originally.

2) Transferring credits to Tulane has been difficult. Tulane won’t accept many classes even from higher ranked schools. We once tried to get a basketball player from a top academic school but a few classes didn’t transfer over and we lost out because of that.

Both those reasons are very frustrating. As far as 1), apparently Tulane doesn't understand that young people evolve and can develop academic maturity after they graduate from high school. And 2) is nothing more than unjustified institutional arrogance and ego. These two reasons are just remnants of the disastrous Tulane Model days.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

As to what standards they need to meet to get in it is still NCAA minimum's. Same with JC's. They can't be someone who was below and then got their grades up at the JC. I think tps may have misunderstood what he was told because of the confusion with the JC issue. The transferring of credits issue has always been a problem.Yet we have been getting transfers in- see Morgan, & Cornish who didn't come from elite schools and did not have a 30. Then we have Sehic. Now you have Walker. We have a JC in football and have had some over time. So we can get them and have gotten them. The important point is that you don't want to have to build your program on that. You want to be able to recruit at a level that grows the program. Then fill a gap with a transfer which we have been doing.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I think Cornish was given an exception. The coaches are given a few of those. But schools like Memphis allow anyone.
Like Bi said we are not on equal terms when it comes to transfers. It’s definitely more difficult to tranfer to Tulane vs most if not all the other AAC schools we compete against.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We all agree it's more difficult here but they don't need exceptions.. We have gotten all those guys in recently. So it can be done plus as I said it's not something you want to have to build the program of off. We do have the ability to fill gaps with them.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
breaker
Ripple

The sad reality is men's basketball, like football, has been able to get in whomever it wants. The department gets a certain number of special admits each year (below 2.8 GPA/22 ACT), and they go primarily to the football and men's basketball teams, and anyone who meets NCAA minimums is admissible. Other programs get occasional special admits for athletes with impact-level talent, but those programs generally have to stay above that threshold. That threshold is way below regular Tulane admissions, but still a tough hurdle to climb for many football/basketball admits who come from challenging backgrounds far different than most of the posters on this board. It seems the new athlete-friendly majors are working, as we are not having players drop out for academic reasons. The only place Tulane is really at a disadvantage due to its academics is with Juco's, as it seems many have a hard time getting credits to transfer. Transfers from 4-year schools don't seem to have the same issues. If Hunter can't succeed, it won't be because of academics getting in the way.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Breaker- those special admits have been over since CJ came in. It was that way for a long time but now if any player in any sport meets the minimum's they can get in.So no need for special admits. I agree with your overall take but just wanted to make that clear.

To make it clear-A transfer from a D-1 school will obviously have met the NCAA minimum';s. So the only question is if they can get their credits to transfer. Tulane has lightened up some on that as evidenced by transfers in from schools like LSU and UNLV. As to JUCO's they have to have met the NCAA minimum's when they came out of HS. If not we can't get them in.
JerseyWave
Riptide

It can't be that difficult to take a transfer anymore. Willie Fritz has certainly benefited from it. He's been able to cover up the poor recruiting from the end of the CJ era and his own failure to recruit a high school quarterback.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm Breaker- those special admits have been over since CJ came in. It was that way for a long time but now if any player in any sport meets the minimum's they can get in.So no need for special admits. I agree with your overall take but just wanted to make that clear.

To make it clear-A transfer from a D-1 school will obviously have met the NCAA minimum';s. So the only question is if they can get their credits to transfer. Tulane has lightened up some on that as evidenced by transfers in from schools like LSU and UNLV. As to JUCO's they have to have met the NCAA minimum's when they came out of HS. If not we can't get them in.
Technically, McMillan was not a transfer, but a graduate student. Amazing how he could apply, get accepted and enroll in the graduate program in mid August!!!!

But it's different when you have your undergraduate degree. I'd like to find out if you need to be enrolled in a Masters or higher program to be eligible, or would it count if you're in a program that grants Certificates rather than higher degrees?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 am Here’s what I’ve been told.

Thanks TPS ! Very enlightening
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

And far as Tulane being a pain in the ass on credits transferring, I remember they wouldn’t allow me to transfer a class I had taken at an Ivy League school. I believe it ended up being an accreditation issue (that ivy didn’t have a B school). This was many years ago . . .
GreenLantern
Riptide

I did a year at TCU before eventually transferred to Tulane. At Texas Christian, 6 hours in religion was required: one being a 3 hour survey course on world religions (Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, etc.). Tulane would not accept the transfer credit (because of its religious nature) even though a course in History of Witchcraft was being offered at Tulane. (I'm not making this up.)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I know that when Vanderbilt fired Bryce Drew, players and recruits (and they had some big name recruits) were considering transferring. Scottie Pippen Jr. hasn't yet signed and they had a 4 star (ranked about the #100 recruit overall) out of TX that's considering changing his LOI.

GO GET 'EM RON HUNTER!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:46 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:04 pm Breaker- those special admits have been over since CJ came in. It was that way for a long time but now if any player in any sport meets the minimum's they can get in.So no need for special admits. I agree with your overall take but just wanted to make that clear.

Technically, McMillan was not a transfer, but a graduate student. Amazing how he could apply, get accepted and enroll in the graduate program in mid August!!!!

But it's different when you have your undergraduate degree. I'd like to find out if you need to be enrolled in a Masters or higher program to be eligible, or would it count if you're in a program that grants Certificates rather than higher degrees?
I was talking about Malik Morgan in basketball not McMillan just to be clear.

Good question. You would think it has to be a Masters or higher. The claimed basis is supposed to be that they can transfer because the school they will be going to has a Masters program that their prior school didn't.
posse
High Tide

What a silly Tulane rule on JUCO'S. If a high school kid has the NCAA minimum grades
coming out of high school, they would sign with a college then. No reason to go to Junior College.
May seem to many not to be a big deal, but Fritz confirmed that it drastically reduces his JUCO pool of players. Would be nice to have the option to fill holes with 3 or 4 JUCOS each year.. When will TULANE really comit to winning athletics....when they do, then I would be willing to pay a surcharge for my seat.

TULANE is it's own worst enemy.
glennc
Low Tide

The reality is that we still do not play on a level playing field as everyone else when it comes to recruiting. It is as simple as that. don' t give me all this confusing shit that tries to make it look like we have the same standards as everyone else.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

posse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 pm

What a silly Tulane rule on JUCO'S. If a high school kid has the NCAA minimum grades
coming out of high school, they would sign with a college then. No reason to go to Junior College.
May seem to many not to be a big deal, but Fritz confirmed that it drastically reduces his JUCO pool of players. Would be nice to have the option to fill holes with 3 or 4 JUCOS each year.. When will TULANE really comit to winning athletics....when they do, then I would be willing to pay a surcharge for my seat.

That's true for the most part on JC's. However we just got a good LB in Nick Anderson who did meet the NCAA standards and then some but went the JUCO route because he didn't like his offers and wanted better. Good job by our staff getting him. They had looked at him out of HS but thought he was too small as did others. His play at the JUCO showed them otherwise.
OUG
Riptide

posse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 pm

This depends on the sport. Fully NCAA-qualified kids go the juco route in basketball and baseball all the time for athletic and not academic reasons. That is why we have been able to get those kids in without issue.

Football is different. It’s atypical that you have a kid like Anderson who went JUCO even though he was qualified out of HS. It happens, but it is rare. Between FBS and FCS there are a lot of scholarships out there and most kids who are good enough will take the best they can get vs taking their chances at a JUCO. Where there are kids like Anderson, we are in just as good a position to get them. The other exception to the typical JUCO is the kid who played at a D1 school, it didn’t work out for whatever reason, and rather than sit out a year per the transfer rega, they decide to play football at a JUCO for that year. We have also had zero problems getting these kids (Banks, Montana, etc), since they obviously were NCAA qualified out of high school.

I don’t know where TPS is getting the notion that a transfer needs to meet the normal student standards for non-athletes. That’s just not true, and couldn’t be true: there are no “minimum standards” for admissions, it’s an open market for admission and they look at the whole student. 30 ACT itself is just an *average*; there are hundreds of students at TU that fall below that.

The idea that Tulane academics may hinder us in recruiting is mostly untrue. It’s a narrative pushed by failed coaches who have never succeeded elsewhere and fans who want to enable their failure and excuse it. The only argument you could make is that Tulane’s quality of academics might be a turnoff for some students in the recruiting process — but I doubt that is a significant number of recruits. For most recruits and their families it is a positive.

We haven’t been recruiting top athletes because we don’t win. It’s really that simple. We don’t win because for multiple decades we didn’t really try or have any standards or accountability. That’s all there is to it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

glennc wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:34 pm The reality is that we still do not play on a level playing field as everyone else when it comes to recruiting. It is as simple as that. don' t give me all this confusing shit that tries to make it look like we have the same standards as everyone else.
No one said we are on a level playing field. We are just answering a question that was asked.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Correct. It’s obviously not a level playing field - we don’t make $20m-$35m a year in TV rev, and the playoff system is egregiously tilted against us.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep. Let's just shut it down. :roll:

That attitude is not Ron Hunter approved.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

OUG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:49 pm

I don’t know where TPS is getting the notion that a transfer needs to meet the normal student standards for non-athletes. That’s just not true, and couldn’t be true: there are no “minimum standards” for admissions, it’s an open market for admission and they look at the whole student. 30 ACT itself is just an *average*; there are hundreds of students at TU that fall below that.

The idea that Tulane academics may hinder us in recruiting is mostly untrue. It’s a narrative pushed by failed coaches who have never succeeded elsewhere and fans who want to enable their failure and excuse it. The only argument you could make is that Tulane’s quality of academics might be a turnoff for some students in the recruiting process — but I doubt that is a significant number of recruits. For most recruits and their families it is a positive.

We haven’t been recruiting top athletes because we don’t win. It’s really that simple. We don’t win because for multiple decades we didn’t really try or have any standards or accountability. That’s all there is to it.
The avg ACT score at Tulane has climbed over the years. It’s at its highest ever today. Tulane acceptance rate is way down because the quality of the student applying is higher it’s the lowest ever. Simple Supply / Demand.
So do you really believe we can get the same transfers Memphis gets? Talk to our former coach David Johnson that went to Memphis and he’ll tell you otherwise. It’s more difficult for Tulane to get transfers than any other AAC school.
https://gotigersgo.com/mobile/staff.aspx?staff=211
Can I get into Tulane University of Louisiana? The school has a 21% acceptance rate. Last year, 7,657 out of 35,622 applicants were admitted making Tulane University of Louisiana a very highly competitive school to get into with a low chance of acceptance for typical applicants. Academically, it has extremely high requirements for admission test scores, generally admitting students who score in the top 6 percent. Tulane University of Louisiana typically accepts and attracts "B+" average high school students. Only 25% of those admitted chose to enroll in the school. Most incoming freshmen graduated in the top ten percent of their high school class.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It has never been harder to get into Tulane. The incoming Freshmen class, this coming August, has an average SAT score over 1500.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
OUG
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:41 pm
OUG wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:49 pm

The avg ACT score at Tulane has climbed over the years. It’s at its highest ever today. Tulane acceptance rate is way down because the quality of the student applying is higher it’s the lowest ever. Simple Supply / Demand.
So do you really believe we can get the same transfers Memphis gets? Talk to our former coach David Johnson that went to Memphis and he’ll tell you otherwise. It’s more difficult for Tulane to get transfers than any other AAC school.
https://gotigersgo.com/mobile/staff.aspx?staff=211
Can I get into Tulane University of Louisiana? The school has a 21% acceptance rate. Last year, 7,657 out of 35,622 applicants were admitted making Tulane University of Louisiana a very highly competitive school to get into with a low chance of acceptance for typical applicants. Academically, it has extremely high requirements for admission test scores, generally admitting students who score in the top 6 percent. Tulane University of Louisiana typically accepts and attracts "B+" average high school students. Only 25% of those admitted chose to enroll in the school. Most incoming freshmen graduated in the top ten percent of their high school class.
I know that it is tough for non-athletes to get into Tulane. Obviously.

What I am disputing is that we put student athlete transfers to some standard where they would have had to meet the non-athlete
standards out of high school. That’s just not true.

They need to have met NCAA minimum standards out of HS, not have been able to be admitted under the normal TU non-athlete admissions process.