Why can’t a men’s bball coach succeed at Tulane ?

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
galvezwave
Swell

sader24 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 pm The biggest issue has been bad hires. The gym is a joke. Also if you want to recruit how Perry did back In the day you are going to have to pay kids. Do we have the big money athletic donors for basketball that want to pay up?
You cannot win big in college basketball without cheating. It’s simply not possible. Ask will wade

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Ron Everhardt instead of Shawn Finney, Tubby Smith or Tim Floyd instead of Dave Dickerson, Tim Floyd or Mike White instead of Ed Conroy.
Have your pick of anyone instead of Dunleavy.
Hoping I’m not saying Billy Kennedy instead of Ron Hunter in 3-4 years.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:14 pm Tulane basketball is whatever it wants to be. The main keys are 1. A president with the balls and the stomach to compete on the hardwood

2. A coach who is an outstanding, charismatic recruiter (Clark).

3. Top flight floor/game coaching (Ron everhardt).

For a brief moment we had all 3.

I get the arena thing , but Perry’s recruits chose to play there and I never heard a complaint from them . In fact it was just the opposite.
That was almost 30 years ago. Plus Perry was a phenomenal recruiter. He was also one of the few black head coaches at a major D-1 program. How's the recruiting gone since then. Hunter is very energetic. Hopefully that can help him overcome our poor recruiting. Finney and Dickerson came from big time programs that could recruit themselves. They expected it to be easy and when it wasn't they couldn't handle it. This guy hasn't had easy and maybe that will prove to be the difference. But no matter what it's silly to ignore the problem the gym is. They should modify those plans for the new Arena on the Rosen site now that we have the practice facility and start fundraising for that thus giving the new coach something to use on the recruiting trail.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:12 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:22 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:15 am
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:59 am I remember the days when Tulane tried to buy Loyola Fieldhouse when they killed basketball
That’s interesting, I’ve never heard about that before ! Wish they had bought any/all of Loyola’s land.
If I remember the agreement, Tulane would buy the Building and immediate surronding land, Loyola would be given use of the fieldhouse for intramural / student activities until another site was estabilished for use....all Tulane student activies would continue on the Tulane campus.....The Pope killed the deal....
The Pope ? Hard to believe that degree of micromanaging .
money involved, and the Vatican needed the Wall repaired
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Devlin Fieldhouse should not be an issue. We have the state of the art SKC to rent and play our marquee games in. Obviously we will have to coordinate around the Pelicans since they are the primary tenants of the SKC. This is a great option for us once Coach Hunter gets this program to a respectable level. I hope Coach Hunter is going to tell top recruits that if they come to Tulane and build up this program they will eventually be playing a large number of games in the SKC. Ideally I would like to see us play at least ten games a year minimum at the SKC once our program becomes respectable.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Think about it. When you talk like that you know our gym is an issue.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:13 pm Think about it. When you talk like that you know our gym is an issue.
I loved the ease of going to Devlin as a student. It would be nice to build something around 5k to 6k, but land is the #1 problem.

I actually like the renovations from an architect's standpoint. The capacity is too low, but the experience is very personal.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Literally yes but if Coach Hunter can get the program to a point where we are playing the majority of our home games in the SKC similar to several Big East schools which play the majority of their home games in their city’s NBA arena we will have successfully dealt with the issue. Players will want to come to Tulane to play the majority of their home games in the SKC. Obviously we will need the program to become respectable before this happens.
anEngineer
Riptide

Some of you automatically assume that playing in a full Devlin is not acceptable. No one has seen that for 25 years. Why don't you wait and see what it's like before you insist on destroying it. The kids and coaches may like it and see it as an advantage. They may not, but none of us know for sure. Let's talk about winning first. I will say that I would not be anxious to be in SKC with 5000. I think I would rather be in Devlin with 3200.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one said it's not acceptable. Thefirst concern is that it holds us back from getting the players needed to fill it. Secondly they gym was on probation the first year we were in the AAC. The coaches had to vote after that to say if they were ok with it. We stunk and it was empty so they allowed it . You can bet if we got successful enough to fill it regularly they would then object and all conference games would have to move. That's not a situation we want So it's best to get moving on it. As to being in the SKC what we have talked about is having 10-12,000 like we did during Perry's days in the Dome. No one complained . Everyone loved it. The more the merrier.
Last edited by winwave on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:19 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:13 pm Think about it. When you talk like that you know our gym is an issue.
I loved the ease of going to Devlin as a student. It would be nice to build something around 5k to 6k, but land is the #1 problem.

I actually like the renovations from an architect's standpoint. The capacity is too low, but the experience is very personal.
The land is on the Rosen lot.
Pepper
Swell

If memory serves, when Perry Clark was recruiting Honeycutt, I don't think he showed the gym until after signing day.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

So some poster(s) are saying TU athletics can or perhaps will sign the same low academic quality student athletes as an LSU or say FSU/GSU, that’s cute.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:05 pm Devlin Fieldhouse should not be an issue. We have the state of the art SKC to rent and play our marquee games in. Obviously we will have to coordinate around the Pelicans since they are the primary tenants of the SKC. This is a great option for us once Coach Hunter gets this program to a respectable level. I hope Coach Hunter is going to tell top recruits that if they come to Tulane and build up this program they will eventually be playing a large number of games in the SKC. Ideally I would like to see us play at least ten games a year minimum at the SKC once our program becomes respectable.
You have the cart miles in front of the horse . Delusional for the next two or three years .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

So we are saying the gym is why Tulane basetkball has failed and it will continue to fail because of the gym ? That sounds like BS

I do agree I don’t think we can bring in the same minimum qualifier as FSU/LSU/ Georgia State, but we have made great progress.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Pepper wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:30 pm If memory serves, when Perry Clark was recruiting Honeycutt, I don't think he showed the gym until after signing day.
We also got him because he had been stabbed in a gang fight and others backed off.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one said it's the only reason but it is a reason. Our long history of losing certainly hurts too. It is though very Tulanian to have a big problem in front of them and just ignore its existence.

We have been accepting minimum qualifiers since CJ came in. As I posted before the one's that left were mostly for character issues not because of academics. We won't get the same one's as LSU /FSU because of their P5 status. We will hopefully get what he got at GSU just as WF has brought in players he had been recruiting at GSU.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm No one said it's the only reason but it is a reason. Our long history of losing certainly hurts too. It is though very Tulanian to have a big problem in front of them and just ignore its existence.

We have been accepting minimum qualifiers since CJ came in. As I posted before the one's that left were mostly for character issues not because of academics. We won't get the same one's as LSU /FSU because of their P5 status. We will hopefully get what he got at GSU just as WF has brought in players he had been recruiting at GSU.
Coach Fritz HAD BEEN, but now has significantly upgraded recruiting from Georgia Southern .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
exflash
High Tide

Man look at the 2 big problems....first Tulane has a basicley high school gym that looks it and seats it.....secondly, nobody, and I do mean nobody goes to the games......attendance could increase with your showboat coach however!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I was alluding to the fact it’s preposterous to blame our failures on the gym. Ron Hunter is in an excellent position to earn a mythical status of resurrecting Tulane basketball (which he will have earned). But we are in a very different place then we have been for a very long time. The rest of the country and even most of New Orleans doesn’t know this. . . YET

This is a GREAT article by kushner today outlining everything we have been discussing in this thread and that very fact. I highly recommend everyone read it!

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... ffc37.html
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenLantern
Riptide

exflash wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 pm Man look at the 2 big problems....first Tulane has a basicley high school gym that looks it and seats it.....secondly, nobody, and I do mean nobody goes to the games......attendance could increase with your showboat coach however!!
ULL trolls gotta troll.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 pm I was alluding to the fact it’s preposterous to blame our failures on the gym. Ron Hunter is in an excellent position to earn a mythical status of resurrecting Tulane basketball (which he will have earned). But we are in a very different place then we have been for a very long time. The rest of the country and even most of New Orleans doesn’t know this. . . YET

This is a GREAT article by kushner today outlining everything we have been discussing in this thread and that very fact. I highly recommend everyone read it!

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... ffc37.html
It's not preposterous at all. Many say it is a HS gym. Players want to play their games in a place where they feel big time. No matter our coach or league our recruiting has been poor for two decades. During that time the gym got smaller and is the constant along with losing. So you can carry on all you want but it is an issue. Just read the article you linked , which was already linked in the Hunter thread, Kushner notes it as one of our challenges.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:46 pm No one said it's the only reason but it is a reason. Our long history of losing certainly hurts too. It is though very Tulanian to have a big problem in front of them and just ignore its existence.

Coach Fritz HAD BEEN, but now has significantly upgraded recruiting from Georgia Southern .
To be fair, Fritz classes average out to the same as CJ given Fritz had a bad class, followed by the worst class in recent history, followed by the best class in recent history, and then followed by another bad class.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Sorry I must have missed that article being linked in a sprawling alternate thread with no context. Kushner literally outlines in that article the subject matter of this thread. I am not disputing that the gym is A FACTOR. But it is not THE factor and man people are expounding at length as if it is our doom & downfal. But hey let’s make a bet. We’ll finish over .500 and make the NIT with Hunter as coach and still be in this gym.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Devlin Fieldhouse is fine for now. Sell it out like we did for Perry Clark and we can move many of our games over to the state of the art SKC. This is really a non-issue. We just land an awesome basketball coach who is going to get this program turned around and we have all these negative ninnies, Lswho, and U LA LA trolls that show up on this board because they are jealous Tulane can attract such a high quality head coach in Ron Hunter.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.