Ron Hunter new Tulane basketball coach

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Since Tulane will introduce Hunter at a news conference at Noon on Tuesday (March 26) at Fogelman Arena/Devlin Fieldhouse I hope they stream it live as well. Noon may be a tough time for the work crowd to attend and of course out of town fans would be able to view it as well if streamed.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

msdos wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm I think this could be the guy. I’m optimistic, time will tell.
Let’s not compare him to Willie though. Ole Will barely got us into a shit tier bowl in year 3 and will go 4-8 this year. I wish nothing of the sort on Hunter
I’ll bet you anywhere between $100- $1000 straight up we make a bowl. I’ll send you my contact info ans we can jump on a call and work it out.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I’d love for us to fill Devlin for a few years in a row & NEED To play in smoothie and build the new arena (which we obviously need).
GSUFan
Trickle

Panther fan here. Y'all got a hell of a coach and an even better man. As others have stated, GSU Athletics as a whole was abysmal until and then two things happened -- we added football and hired Ron Hunter. He will absolutely re-energize your fanbase and basketball program. As you've already started to see and will surely see again at the press conference on Tuesday, he is extremely charismatic and endearing. He'll win over the media and is always a great interview.

He's a good recruiter, but has definitely had his fair share of misses over the years. He relied a lot on impact transfers at GSU, but we've had multiple 4 star guys every year. He has a fondness for midwest guys and heavily recruited Georgia. Will be interesting to see if he brings any of his assistants. Claude Pardue has been with him all eight years and is an excellent recruiter. I'd expect McCallum gets a look for the HC position at GSU and Travis Williams was in his first year and is a former GSU player.

His brand of basketball is exciting, but go ahead and get used to it -- you will NEVER EVER see him play a second of man-to-man defense. You'll get out-rebounded almost every night, but his teams make up for it in forcing turnovers and forcing low percentage shots. Teams getting hot from 3 point range is a recipe for disaster in his system.

At times, his leash can be pretty short with younger players. He'll definitely sit a young player vs. letting them play through it. His rotations tend to be pretty small (8, maybe 9) especially as the season progresses. He is animated and vocal on the sidelines. I intentionally picked out my seats at games across from the GSU bench so I could watch him throughout the game.

Can't say enough good things about CRH.. The GSU community is devastated and near revolt against our athletic department, but very happy and excited for the Hunter family. He is a winner and you've got a lot of new Green Wave fans in Atlanta because of CRH.

Go Wave!?!?
JerseyWave
Riptide

GSUFan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:22 pm Panther fan here. Y'all got a hell of a coach and an even better man. As others have stated, GSU Athletics as a whole was abysmal until and then two things happened -- we added football and hired Ron Hunter. He will absolutely re-energize your fanbase and basketball program. As you've already started to see and will surely see again at the press conference on Tuesday, he is extremely charismatic and endearing. He'll win over the media and is always a great interview.

He's a good recruiter, but has definitely had his fair share of misses over the years. He relied a lot on impact transfers at GSU, but we've had multiple 4 star guys every year. He has a fondness for midwest guys and heavily recruited Georgia. Will be interesting to see if he brings any of his assistants. Claude Pardue has been with him all eight years and is an excellent recruiter. I'd expect McCallum gets a look for the HC position at GSU and Travis Williams was in his first year and is a former GSU player.

His brand of basketball is exciting, but go ahead and get used to it -- you will NEVER EVER see him play a second of man-to-man defense. You'll get out-rebounded almost every night, but his teams make up for it in forcing turnovers and forcing low percentage shots. Teams getting hot from 3 point range is a recipe for disaster in his system.

At times, his leash can be pretty short with younger players. He'll definitely sit a young player vs. letting them play through it. His rotations tend to be pretty small (8, maybe 9) especially as the season progresses. He is animated and vocal on the sidelines. I intentionally picked out my seats at games across from the GSU bench so I could watch him throughout the game.

Can't say enough good things about CRH.. The GSU community is devastated and near revolt against our athletic department, but very happy and excited for the Hunter family. He is a winner and you've got a lot of new Green Wave fans in Atlanta because of CRH.

Go Wave!?!?

Thank you for the insight and a very classy take. We know how it feels to lose a successful coach at Tulane. We were crushed when Tommy Bowden went to Clemson. I'm wishing Georgia St basketball all the best in the years ahead and hope Coach Hunter built a solid foundation for your next coach to continue his success.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 pm Not excited yet. Needs to Show Me he can win at Tulane where our last 4 basketball coaches have failed miserably and been fired. I would have preferred a higher profile name but we got Hunter cheap. Dunleavy making more money sitting home on his couch than Hunter will be making coaching. The disaster Dunleavy created will need at least 2 more years to correct. I expect we’ll win 10 games next year and maybe 15 the following year. I’m interested in seeing what assistant coaches are willing to come here and risk their careers. Will be interesting to see how many does Hunter bring from his current staff. Anyway I’m sure he’s a better coach than what we had in Dunleavy.
We were paying MD $1 million a year. I believe Hunter is getting $1.25 million.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 pm Just watched an interview with Coach Hunter talking to an Atlanta station about leaving Georgia State. The guy was all class saying nice things about Atlanta and Georgia State.. He is a very charismatic person who can actually coach college basketball unlike Mike Dunleavy. I am getting super excited about Tulane basketball. I don’t think I’ve been this excited since we hired Perry Clark. Yes I know it will take a few years since Dunleavy left the program in shambles. Hopefully Devlin Fieldhouse will be rocking in the near future like the Perry Clark years and we move several of our top games to the Smoothie King Center. Coach Hunter is going to be a huge success at Tulane.
Devlin will not rock as it did for Perry Clark because seating capacity is now 3,000 as compared to 5,500 then . We would be wise to schedule in the 100 to 150 RPI and be competitive OOC rather than bring in North Carolina types . Let our men get used to playing at home , and being competitive . Yes, it is most likely going to require figurative arm breaking to get a good staff here unless Coach Hunter is able to bring his Georgia State staff with him .

Hopefully someone will get an honest answer on the liability that is Devlin , even though it is now air conditioned .

Hopefully Mr Dannen acknowledges his second BB error and announces that the Seat License program is cancelled .

It appears from the interview snippet that Coach Hunter lives in Buckhead ; hopefully New Orleans will not be too much Old South for the family to enhance the possibility of an extended tenure until a voluntary retirement after a long and successful run here .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:58 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 pm Just watched an interview with Coach Hunter talking to an Atlanta station about leaving Georgia State. The guy was all class saying nice things about Atlanta and Georgia State.. He is a very charismatic person who can actually coach college basketball unlike Mike Dunleavy. I am getting super excited about Tulane basketball. I don’t think I’ve been this excited since we hired Perry Clark. Yes I know it will take a few years since Dunleavy left the program in shambles. Hopefully Devlin Fieldhouse will be rocking in the near future like the Perry Clark years and we move several of our top games to the Smoothie King Center. Coach Hunter is going to be a huge success at Tulane.

Devlin will not rock as it did for Perry Clark because seating capacity is now 3,000 as compared to 5,500 then . We would be wise to schedule in the 100 to 150 RPI and be competitive OOC rather than bring in North Carolina types . Let our men get used to playing at home , and being competitive . Yes, it is most likely going to require figurative arm breaking to get a good staff here unless Coach Hunter is able to bring his Georgia State staff with him .

The biggest short term obstacle is going to be recruiting . Win there and we will win on the court .

Hopefully someone will get an honest answer on the liability that is Devlin , even though it is now air conditioned .

Hopefully Mr Dannen acknowledges his second BB error and announces that the Seat License program is cancelled .

It appears from the interview snippet that Coach Hunter lives in Buckhead ; hopefully New Orleans will not be too much Old South for the family to enhance the possibility of an extended tenure until a voluntary retirement after a long and successful run here .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It sat 3,600 for Perry and now seats 3,200.
Robert1969
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:44 pm Houston drummed us 85 - 50 @ Fogelman

Houston drummed Hunter 84 - 55 on a neutral court .

It would appear Hunter has not recruited up to what it is going to take to be respectable in the AAC , let alone dominant .
If the standard is find an upcoming coach who has been recruiting AAC level talent or above, then, literally no one who would come here qualifies, because all of those guys likely already have the job they want. No one is going to recruit AAC talent in the Sunbelt. What does he do against his competition? Apparently, he wins. That's a start, even if not an exciting start.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:39 pm
Show Me wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 pm Not excited yet. Needs to Show Me he can win at Tulane where our last 4 basketball coaches have failed miserably and been fired. I would have preferred a higher profile name but we got Hunter cheap. Dunleavy making more money sitting home on his couch than Hunter will be making coaching. The disaster Dunleavy created will need at least 2 more years to correct. I expect we’ll win 10 games next year and maybe 15 the following year. I’m interested in seeing what assistant coaches are willing to come here and risk their careers. Will be interesting to see how many does Hunter bring from his current staff. Anyway I’m sure he’s a better coach than what we had in Dunleavy.
Dunleavy was making $1.5 million a year. His buyout called for $1 million for each year remaining. ($3 million) Hunter was making $500,000 base at GSU I seriously hope Dannen wasn’t dumb enough to give him $1.25 million to leave GSU. He should be making $750 here at Tulane which would leave room to bump him up should he do well. His contract should be incentive driven.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Show Me wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:07 am
Dunleavy was making $1.5 million a year. His buyout called for $1 million for each year remaining. ($3 million) Hunter was making $500,000 base at GSU I seriously hope Dannen wasn’t dumb enough to give him $1.25 million to leave GSU. He should be making $750 here at Tulane which would leave room to bump him up should he do well. His contract should be incentive driven.
Ridiculous. No coach worth a damn is taking over this mess with an incentive based contract
MicMan
Swell

How in the world did the GSU AD not extend Hunter with a year left? Wow.
Show Me
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 am
Ridiculous. No coach worth a damn is taking over this mess with an incentive based contract
Dannen created the mess. A good AD would never have give. Dunleavy a 6 year contract. What I’m saying is give him $750 with big incentives. We don’t need another coach collecting a fat contract just because our AD put us in this mess in the first place.
Profoundwizard
Swell

It ain’t your money, what do you care so much for?
WavyHoops
High Tide

MicMan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 am How in the world did the GSU AD not extend Hunter with a year left? Wow.
There are folks here who complained when Dannnen extended Fritz. I hope they are starting to learn a few things.
Show Me
Tsunami

WavyHoops wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:43 am
MicMan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:07 am How in the world did the GSU AD not extend Hunter with a year left? Wow.
There are folks here who complained when Dannnen extended Fritz. I hope they are starting to learn a few things.
He extended Lisa Stockton, he also gave Dunleavy a 6 year contract two bad moves. Big difference Ron Hunter asked for an extension and was ignored. Willie Fritz extended after a losing season wasn’t necessary. He should have had to earn it first. Getting the bowl game would have been a more appropriate time to do that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I disagree. MD was making $1 million. We stepped up the pay to get a better coach.
AugWave
Swell

msdos wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm I think this could be the guy. I’m optimistic, time will tell.
Let’s not compare him to Willie though. Ole Will barely got us into a shit tier bowl in year 3 and will go 4-8 this year. I wish nothing of the sort on Hunter
We've won only a couple of bowl games in history and you have the nerve to shit on Willie Fritz when he actually won one.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:06 am
I disagree. MD was making $1 million. We stepped up the pay to get a better coach.
Of all people you should know that the buyout is going to be less than the remaining contract amount. Hunter not getting more than Dunleavy no way in hell.
Pepper
Swell

I like the hire. The man is a winner at every level he has coached at. I think he'll do the same here. The people calling for a big name coach, the university is not at that level yet.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

He’s a very likeable guy. I watched the Twitter interview from Atlanta and he reminds me a lot of Perry’s personality. We can only hope he can recruit like Perry did. I went back to an old media guide and did some research. Perry won 4 games in his 1st year of resurrection, year two he had already had a winning record (15-13) and year 3 an NCAA bid. Incredible turnaround. No question the program is in worst shape than when Dunleavy took it over but it’s not coming off of a death sentence like Perry inherited. Coach Hunter has enough quality players he can build around. We will probably win more games next year than most people will expect.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:46 am He’s a very likeable guy. I watched the Twitter interview from Atlanta and he reminds me a lot of Perry’s personality. We can only hope he can recruit like Perry did. I went back to an old media guide and did some research. Perry won 4 games in his 1st year of resurrection, year two he had already had a winning record (15-13) and year 3 an NCAA bid. Incredible turnaround. No question the program is in worst shape than when Dunleavy took it over but it’s not coming off of a death sentence like Perry inherited. Coach Hunter has enough quality players he can build around. We will probably win more games next year than most people will expect.
I expect nothing but double the number of conference wins
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !