Nostalgia.....

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
waveclem
Surge

I remember the last time we beat Syracuse was in 1990, i think. Our quarterback was Deron Smith? J Macintosh? Ok, obviously my details on the game were fuzzy because it was on radio and I WAS 8! Point is that was a great Tulane football memory for me. Hopefully this Tulane team can do something similar today. :roll:

RobertM320
Green Wave

waveclem wrote:I remember the last time we beat Syracuse was in 1990, i think. Our quarterback was Deron Smith? J Macintosh? Ok, obviously my details on the game were fuzzy because it was on radio and I WAS 8! Point is that was a great Tulane football memory for me. Hopefully this Tulane team can do something similar today. :roll:
Yes, it was 1990. I remember the game clearly. We were 3-6 at the time. We scored late to go ahead 26-24 on the road, and then Coach Greg Davis decided to go for two. An extra point puts you ahead by 3, and guarantees a FG can't beat you. At the time, there was no overtime, IIRC. I remember being stunned that he went for the two. By missing, a FG would have beaten.

And just for reference, even though we finished 4-7 that year, the very next week we closed the season losing to LSU, 16-13. Again, IIRC, we actually attempted a FG on the last play that would have tied the game. We also lost to Florida State 31-13, who was ranked #2 at the time.

Oh, well. Those were the days of being at least competitive. Maybe we'll see them again before I die. I really hope so, I'm only 52.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
sader24
Tsunami

The sad thing is that our issues are self inflicted. We choose to suck.
jogger
Ripple

this was the story i was told. after the td, davis signaled to go for 2 but quickly realized that was a mistake when he saw then asst. coach frank monica's face. the play clock was ticking, we must have been out of time outs so the call from the sideline was to take a delay of game penalty and kick the pat. but when delay was relayed to smith, he took it to mean a play that was worked on that week that was called delay. the play was run with no success but we still got the w.
jogger
Ripple

and fwiw, smith was the qb, ballard was the wr who caught the go ahead td.
swampnik
Surge

I think syaracuse was in the Top 30 at the time of the TU victory also. I know it was one of our few victories in recent memory over a team that was clearly ranked superior.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
sader24
Tsunami

I just remember Ballard's dance after he scored.