USF hands Tulane it’s record 19th straight loss 75-70

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The game is on ESPN3:

https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/3 ... split.aspx

USF favored by 8 1/2.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another new low for this group. The game got no write up in either paper. The Advocate did have a nice long article on UNO's game at SELA.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
WavyHoops
High Tide

No coverage there either:
https://www.tampabay.com/bulls/

If two crappy teams play in a forest and nobody notices, did the game really happen?

Btw, I actually like the Wave to win this one in a stunning, season-saving upset. There will then be a few days of "ya see, the freshmen are coming together" talk. And then we will get smashed by Wichita State and the conference tourney.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We have 169 in attendance.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:18 pm We have 169 in attendance.
LOL, I watched for a while and wondered if we had 100! Watching makes me want to have an Ash Wednesday cocktail, but unfortunately I have to do an internet demo for an Aussie prospect tonight.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

I could not summon the energy to go to the game. It was one of only 2-3 games in the last several years that I did not attend. What's the point? It would be like going to the movies and watching Fatal Attraction repeatedly. You know the ending and tonight will be no different. It has lost all shock and entertainment value.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

can we go for 20 ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The difference in athleticism even against a team like USF is just stark. But were just a PG away. :roll:
Bigschtick
Riptide

Like where is that moron Troll Gb when you need him or her or both?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
anEngineer
Riptide

They actually had several chances to win the game last night. The second half defense was good and forced USF into a couple of shot clock violations. Three notable occurances were when USF put up desperation shots just before the buzzer and all 3 went in (2 3's and a 2). The turning point was probably around the 3 minute mark when Tulane was down 6, got a steal and had a 3 on 1 break. They TURNED IT OVER and it led to a quick 3 on the other end.

In the first half, they had several shots from inside 3 feet that didn't go or totally missed the basket. USF was stronger down low and that's something that Dunleavy said would happen with the freshmen. There bodies need bulking. It will be interesting to see if Crabtree, Wood and Zhang can get significantly stronger next year. Crabtree and Wood each showed they can be productive and Zhang has been hurt all year. Tulane only had 8 dressed out last night and one was Barrett, who hasn't produced anything. They are young, lean, shorthanded and without a point guard. It's not exactly a winning combination.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Did they have the lead in the 2nd half? I know that they cut into the lead a few times, but without taking the lead, you cannot win the game. I know we cut the lead to 3 at one point, but don't think we had a possession where we could have taken the lead.

I guess it was a good strong effort, a moral victory (we beat the point spread) in front of 100-200 fans, but another loss for a team that hasn't won a conference game in over a year.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Dressing 8 players is a heck of a look for a D1 team.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The guys down low were Sehic and Paul not the freshman. As for the freshman getting beat on defense that has to do with the USF players just being much more athletic. On the other end the difference in athleticism is what was used to cut our young guys off when they wanted to go to the goal.
Show Me
Tsunami

With no change coming at the top anyone that buys tickets to this circus act next year is nearly equal to blame. The arena has to be empty to “show” that wins and loses matter to us fans. We sat through over 15 years of this under Dickson. Dannen was initially a breath of fresh air that has now become stale. What happens after Dunleavy wins 10-12 games next year are we supposed to be content? Is this acceptable? How does anyone give a guy in his third year of losing 100% green light to return in the middle of a 19 game losing streak? Both men’s and women’s programs have tanked on Dannen’s watch. What is going on? There is no accountability at this point.
Eaglewave
Swell

Bigschtick wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 am Like where is that moron Troll Gb when you need him or her or both?
:lol:
Ball Sumrall!
Eaglewave
Swell

Ball Sumrall!
WavyHoops
High Tide

Eaglewave wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:29 am And to think....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theadv ... 9.amp.html
Amazing quote:

“There isn’t any question it’s not meeting anyone’s expectations,” Dannen told Fox 8 television in February. “If it’s meeting someone’s expectations, then that person needs expectations that are significantly higher, because mine are. For me, if we’re not in the top half of the league, then it bears a careful evaluation of why not, and what it’s going to take to get there.”
GreenLantern
Riptide

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am Amazing quote:

“There isn’t any question it’s not meeting anyone’s expectations,” Dannen told Fox 8 television in February. “If it’s meeting someone’s expectations, then that person needs expectations that are significantly higher, because mine are. For me, if we’re not in the top half of the league, then it bears a careful evaluation of why not, and what it’s going to take to get there.”
For those not interested in following the link to examine the origin of this quote, I have very bad news:

Dannen is not referring to Dunleavy.

Could Dannen be consulting with Dickson? Has he settled into the wins-and-losses-don't-matter mindset? Has he painted himself into a budgetary corner by overspending on Dunleavy? Is he ramping up our collective anxieties before making a bombshell announcement after the conference tourney?

Hint: Only one of those begs the correct answer. Another leads to wishful dreaming. The other two are too horrible to consider.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:29 am
Could Dannen be consulting with Dickson? Has he settled into the wins-and-losses-don't-matter mindset? Has he painted himself into a budgetary corner by overspending on Dunleavy? Is he ramping up our collective anxieties before making a bombshell announcement after the conference tourney?

Hint: Only one of those begs the correct answer. Another leads to wishful dreaming. The other two are too horrible to consider.
Tune in this time next week at the same GreenLantern time on the same GreenLantern channel!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The place sits empty now and he's still keeping him. He painted himself into a corner with that six year contract that he can't pay to get out of.
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am

Amazing quote:

Come on guys, TD conveniently left out which league he was talking about. Not sure why you are assuming he means top half of AAC. Put us in the MEAC or the SWAC and watch out! (though we lost to a SWAC) bottom feeder). By the way those are the only 2 conferences that we'd be top half by NET ranking.

Loved MD's back to back timeout off of the USF timeout at the end of the first half. brilliant! Let's not stop momentum early in the first half or use the timeout after that end of half USF possession to draw up a 2 for 1 or last shot play. Let's just extend a timeout already called by our opponent so we can just say we used our use-it-or-lose-it timeout. good stuff MD,
netshorty
Surge

South Florida penalized 6 spots in the NET rankings by winning a road conference game! Fall from 83 to 89 after a narrow margin win against Tulane. Uh, the conference is really going to hate us.
Eaglewave
Swell

netshorty wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:49 pm
WavyHoops wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:31 am

Amazing quote:

Come on guys, TD conveniently left out which league he was talking about. Not sure why you are assuming he means top half of AAC. Put us in the MEAC or the SWAC and watch out! (though we lost to a SWAC) bottom feeder). By the way those are the only 2 conferences that we'd be top half by NET ranking.

Loved MD's back to back timeout off of the USF timeout at the end of the first half. brilliant! Let's not stop momentum early in the first half or use the timeout after that end of half USF possession to draw up a 2 for 1 or last shot play. Let's just extend a timeout already called by our opponent so we can just say we used our use-it-or-lose-it timeout. good stuff MD,
Lol. Alabama A&M is about to finish last in the SWAC after getting smashed tonight. We wouldn’t be close to the top of the SWAC, and the MEAC is the better conference by far.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Despite the mid season vote of confidence, there MUST be a change at Head Coach. I hope MD steps down, saving TD from firing him.
gbgreenie
Surge

Dream on no change of coaches, no stepping down, until Dunleavy builds a firm foundation of Conference titles, and more 3-5 years best guess. Live with it!!!