Troy Dannen

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

wave97 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:46 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am You can't win against quality opposition on a consistent basis without good players and good coaches. Facilities are what helps get them.
You can get away with sub-par facilities for a period of time as long as your winning. Without a 40 million dollar payout, it is tough to compete without heavy athletic subsidies. Will future realignment consider 16 team conferences? A sixth conference may be added to accommodate a new playoff format. I think the SEC would do well to add Tulane to a 16 team conference. We are/were a natural fit.
You're not going to win with sub-par facilities. Burying heads in the sand over a major problem is unfortunately the Tulane way. The records speak for themselves.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:03 pm
wave97 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:46 am
winwave wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:45 am You can't win against quality opposition on a consistent basis without good players and good coaches. Facilities are what helps get them.
You can get away with sub-par facilities for a period of time as long as your winning. Without a 40 million dollar payout, it is tough to compete without heavy athletic subsidies. Will future realignment consider 16 team conferences? A sixth conference may be added to accommodate a new playoff format. I think the SEC would do well to add Tulane to a 16 team conference. We are/were a natural fit.
You're not going to win with sub-par facilities. Burying heads in the sand over a major problem is unfortunately the Tulane way. The records speak for themselves.
I disagree. The facilities rat race is a child of the GOR payouts. All Tulane needs is a 2nd tier on the West, South & North sections of Yulman. That is very do-able for hosting 35 to 40 K. If we can figure out a way to enclose the newly expanded Yulman all the better.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Schools like ULL have football ops. buildings. Like i said it is classic Tulane to bury their heads in the sand about obvious needs. As for Yulman a second deck on the west side would add 3,000 which is what the east side deck has. You could add a deck in the north end zone and get maybe 3,000 more. You can't add to the south end zone as it abuts Reilly. So you still wouldn't have 30,000.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
gbgreenie
Surge

This is what it is about, supporting the Green Wave Student Athletes, making them feel wanted and that we appreciate all they do for our Green Wave Nation. Winning is important but quit penalizing the Student Athletes like Lexie by staying home. Dannon has the best relationship of any Athletic Director the Wave have ever had with the student athletes, inviting them to his house Troy and his wife Amy love hosting the Athletes. The word gets around how a school treats the student athletes, and fan support is so important. All of this helps when recruiting starts these relationships always will bear fruit. Get positive Green Wave Nation. Hell, can you believe me a 64 year old Green Wave Fan, threw a football full court at Franco's Health Club in Mandeville last week straight into the basket. Its hard shooting a basketball full court into the basket but a 64 year old male throwing a football through the net straight in not a bank shot, the kids that were present tried themselves but failed. But when my throw swished through the net, they went crazy. It felt so good setting an example for our youth of being positive, you never know what you can achieve. Can't wait till June in the National Senior Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In a way this lifetime Green Wave Fan will be representing Green Wave Nation. I will wear my Cure Bowl Shirt with Pride. Roll Wave!!!

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:58 am This is what it is about, supporting the Green Wave Student Athletes, making them feel wanted and that we appreciate all they do for our Green Wave Nation. Winning is important but quit penalizing the Student Athletes like Lexie by staying home. Dannon has the best relationship of any Athletic Director the Wave have ever had with the student athletes, inviting them to his house Troy and his wife Amy love hosting the Athletes. The word gets around how a school treats the student athletes, and fan support is so important. All of this helps when recruiting starts these relationships always will bear fruit. Get positive Green Wave Nation. Hell, can you believe me a 64 year old Green Wave Fan, threw a football full court at Franco's Health Club in Mandeville last week straight into the basket. Its hard shooting a basketball full court into the basket but a 64 year old male throwing a football through the net straight in not a bank shot, the kids that were present tried themselves but failed. But when my throw swished through the net, they went crazy. It felt so good setting an example for our youth of being positive, you never know what you can achieve. Can't wait till June in the National Senior Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In a way this lifetime Green Wave Fan will be representing Green Wave Nation. I will wear my Cure Bowl Shirt with Pride. Roll Wave!!!

Brilliant.

Thanks for your contributions. Means so much to diehard wave fans. Keep up the good work with your posts.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:58 am This is what it is about, supporting the Green Wave Student Athletes, making them feel wanted and that we appreciate all they do for our Green Wave Nation. Winning is important but quit penalizing the Student Athletes like Lexie by staying home. Dannon has the best relationship of any Athletic Director the Wave have ever had with the student athletes, inviting them to his house Troy and his wife Amy love hosting the Athletes. The word gets around how a school treats the student athletes, and fan support is so important. All of this helps when recruiting starts these relationships always will bear fruit. Get positive Green Wave Nation. Hell, can you believe me a 64 year old Green Wave Fan, threw a football full court at Franco's Health Club in Mandeville last week straight into the basket. Its hard shooting a basketball full court into the basket but a 64 year old male throwing a football through the net straight in not a bank shot, the kids that were present tried themselves but failed. But when my throw swished through the net, they went crazy. It felt so good setting an example for our youth of being positive, you never know what you can achieve. Can't wait till June in the National Senior Games in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In a way this lifetime Green Wave Fan will be representing Green Wave Nation. I will wear my Cure Bowl Shirt with Pride. Roll Wave!!!

Huh?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

W/R/T Basketball, put a product on the court worth watching and the fans will come. Lose 17 in a row, and go over a year without a conference win, and you can count the fans in the stands. That's not only how it is, but how it will be until a change is made at HC for men's basketball. If no change is made, it will get worse next year, attendance wise.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
localvb
High Tide

A major part of building sustain success is recruiting. Everyone can agree. To get the top prospects to fill a roster there is 1 major element to that. Get them to visit and watch a game and the gym be packed. The schools who pack the gyms/stadiums have sustain success.
Volleyball had 29 wins and a record breaking year. Averaged close to a league worse 200 fans. If next year the team is wininning and I highly suspect they will, and the attendance doesn’t respond in a big way., than it will be a major sign Tulane is doomed.
Show Me
Tsunami

localvb wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:59 am A major part of building sustain success is recruiting. Everyone can agree. To get the top prospects to fill a roster there is 1 major element to that. Get them to visit and watch a game and the gym be packed. The schools who pack the gyms/stadiums have sustain success.
Volleyball had 29 wins and a record breaking year. Averaged close to a league worse 200 fans. If next year the team is wininning and I highly suspect they will, and the attendance doesn’t respond in a big way., than it will be a major sign Tulane is doomed.
Ridiculous. Because there’s about 200 fans that care about a successful VB program doesn’t mean Tulane is doomed.
This is a pro city so you’ll never get much more than that I’m afraid. A successful women’s gymnastics would draw more interest than VB.
With that said congrats to Coach Barnes and the team for having one of the few winners around here. You can’t compare VB attendance to all sports. Apples to Oranges. Dannen took away the Ultimate Fan ticket option. I used to buy it and it would include VB so I went from time to time. Now that I don’t have that ticketed sport I just don’t go.
wave97
Swell

If only Katrina had made landfall a few hundred miles away, we'd be the only show in town.
localvb
High Tide

The point of my message was to point out how important attendance is for sustained success. Top Recruits won’t come in enough quantity without attendance. It’s more important that facilities and even coaching. I know very average coaches winning big at high attendance schools. In every sport.

The VB scenario was just a small indicator.
GreenLantern
Riptide

localvb, one way to build fans is to keep doing what you are doing: talk up the sport with enthusiasm and help Tulane fans become Tulane vb fans by keeping us informed. Prior to last year, I had never attended a vb game. Your posts got my interest and by the season's end, I had attended several games with my grandaughter. Now she's talking about attending one of Coach Barnes' vb clinics.

Keep up the good work.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

We are turning around an entire culture of losing. It’s not 1 sport it’s all of them. When we keep winning the kids will come and have fun. Just win
localvb
High Tide

GreenLantern wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 pm localvb, one way to build fans is to keep doing what you are doing: talk up the sport with enthusiasm and help Tulane fans become Tulane vb fans by keeping us informed. Prior to last year, I had never attended a vb game. Your posts got my interest and by the season's end, I had attended several games with my grandaughter. Now she's talking about attending one of Coach Barnes' vb clinics.

Keep up the good work.
I appreciate that. Been a long time reader of this site. Volleyball actually has a long history in the NOLA area.
I’ve coached and played here for over 20 years. When I saw Coach Barnes was hired I became a poster because I knew what was going to happen.

I agree as well that if more sports start winning the fans may come. I hope so.
Not sure good coaches would stay if the gym/fields are mostly empty.
Show Me
Tsunami

First time in Tulane history both the men’s and women’s basketball team seeded last in the AAC tournament.
Last edited by Show Me on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Glad we didn't give her that lifetime contract some were calling for.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 pm First time in Tulane history both the men’s and women’s basketball team seated last in the AAC tournament.
I ain't got no Tulane daygree, but i think U mean "seeded'...not "seated"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Show Me
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 am
Show Me wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 pm First time in Tulane history both the men’s and women’s basketball team seated last in the AAC tournament.
They will be “seeded” last before and “seated” last after the tournament. :lol:
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:06 am
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 am
They will be “seeded” last before and “seated” last after the tournament. :lol:
I think they will be kicked out of the tournament, long before they are 'seated" !!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I do not see how Dannen survives much longer as athletic director at Tulane if after the disaster of a basketball season the baseball program does not recover and get to a regional this season. Dannen was responsible for hiring both the men’s basketball and baseball coaches. Also I have heard very little about fundraising and facility improvements except for the recently announced expansion to the weight room. Does anyone know how successful Dannen has been at fundraising while at Tulane? When Dannen first arrived at Tulane he went on a local radio show and said one of our most pressing needs was a football ops center facility. I have heard nothing from Dannen about the status of fundraising for this facility several years later.
JerseyWave
Riptide

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 pm I do not see how Troy Dannen survives much longer at Tulane if after the disaster of a basketball season the baseball program does not recover and get to a regional this season. Dannen was responsible for hiring both the men’s basketball and baseball coaches. Also I have heard very little about fundraising and facility improvements except for the recently announced expansion to the weight room. Does anyone know how successful Dannen has been at fundraising while at Tulane? When Dannen first arrived at Tulane he went on a local radio show and said one of our most pressing needs was a football ops center facility. I have heard nothing from Dannen about the status of fundraising for this facility several years later.
I didn’t think it was possible to hire a worse AD than Rick Dickson, but for the last 3 years Troy Dannen has been a complete and utter failure. For the brief time we had Barbara(forgot her last name) in the athletic department, we appeared to be running a competent college sports program, but other than Angry Wave marketing, Dannen has failed. Willie Fritz could thank
Justin McMillans last minute transfer, otherwise football would have been 3-9.

Baseball put forth a gutless performance this weekend. Dunleavy is smiling because he gets to suck all over again next year. Stockton has spent the last 15 years resting on the success of her first decade at Tulane. We should all be able to enjoy such job security by delivering so
little in the way of results.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:54 pm I do not see how Dannen survives much longer as athletic director at Tulane if after the disaster of a basketball season the baseball program does not recover and get to a regional this season. Dannen was responsible for hiring both the men’s basketball and baseball coaches. Also I have heard very little about fundraising and facility improvements except for the recently announced expansion to the weight room. Does anyone know how successful Dannen has been at fundraising while at Tulane? When Dannen first arrived at Tulane he went on a local radio show and said one of our most pressing needs was a football ops center facility. I have heard nothing from Dannen about the status of fundraising for this facility several years later.
Dickson survived for forever with terrible results. I don’t see TD getting fired any time soon
nawlinspete
Riptide

You are correct. Dannen said he would raise 35M and not a peep since that promise a few months into his tenure . Let us hope he is close and is just waiting to go over the top . But I doubt that.

Also on Dannen , he needs to fire our pitching coach as well as Dunleavy .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:15 pm You are correct. Dannen said he would raise 35M and not a peep since that promise a few months into his tenure . Let us hope he is close and is just waiting to go over the top . But I doubt that.

Also on Dannen , he needs to fire our pitching coach as well as Dunleavy .
Another brilliant post!

You want to fire Daniel Latham less than halfway through his first season as Tulane's pitching coach? A guy who earned his shot by proving himself at SLU?

Brilliant.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
GreenLantern
Riptide

Dear Troy Dannen,

I understand that you occasionally browse this forum. If so, I hope you take the time to read this message. I'm not a rich alumnus. I have no pull with anyone that is politically of financially well-connected. If you wish to associate yourself with someone who has the social or financial capital to enhance your Twitter feed, I'm not your guy.

I am a season ticket holder of several sports (including basketball) and have been for years. I donate to the programs with a modest committment which I can afford. As a Tulane grad, I can't imagine that there are many who love the school more than me.

As much as it pains me to write these words, I have come to the conclusion that we should discontinue our basketball program. Instead of prolonging the embarassment that has been the Dunleavy experiment, I believe we should divert those resources to other areas. If the unfortunate reality is that Tulane has a continuing financial obligation to Michael Dunleavy...a commitment that precludes making any coaching changes for several years, I believe that dropping the program would be a better option for our school.

As the Tulane Athletic Director, you have a very important and prestigous position. Yet long after you have made resume-enhancing career moves, I will still love Tulane. It is part of who I am.

Taking no action with regard to our basketball coaching staff is a recipe for continued humiliation and the erosion of our University's brand. Please do the right thing.

Kindest regards,

GreenLantern