Troy Dannen

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Bigschtick
Riptide

I wonder if Dannen leaves, could we keep Amy?

Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
dpm wave
Swell

So, I made a comment on Twitter about Dannen being made up each morning before work and is actually Dickson reincarnate. btw, it's the first and only time that I've commented negatively on the man on Twitter.

He blocked me. bwawawawawa.
Show Me
Tsunami

:ugeek:
dpm wave wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 am So, I made a comment on Twitter about Dannen being made up each morning before work and is actually Dickson reincarnate. btw, it's the first and only time that I've commented negatively on the man on Twitter.

He blocked me. bwawawawawa.
Wow. Dickson took it like a man for years. Troy needs to reach out to all Tulane fans. Especially those that judge by wins and loses.
DrBox
Riptide

Yes, Dannen blocked me on Twitter a few months ago when I commented that scheduling ULL was a "weak effort." He's got awfully thin skin.
NotJtS
Low Tide

Two words: "Fiduciary responsibility" - JJ

:lol: :lol: :lol:
msdos
Swell

Wow what a pussy
HoustonWave
Tsunami

If Troy is struggling with the current level of angst, I’m afraid he hasn’t seen anything yet. His mysterious man crush on Dunleavy is going to cause the heat to really crank up when Dunleavy’s fourth team is in the crapper again—-it’s just a matter of time.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
WavyHoops
High Tide

I’m willing to wait and see what he does at the end of the season. The disruption of mid-season firings often makes them counterproductive. If he doesn’t make the right move (directly or indirectly) after the season it will be a travesty.
Show Me
Tsunami

WavyHoops wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:35 am I’m willing to wait and see what he does at the end of the season. The disruption of mid-season firings often makes them counterproductive. If he doesn’t make the right move (directly or indirectly) after the season it will be a travesty.
Oh yea. Like the time he fired Ed Conroy but Ed kept winning and advancing in the AAC tournament. Except everyone but Ed knew that he was fired. Hard to top that blunder but by keeping Dunleavy around that will top it for sure.
sader24
Tsunami

i Think he has just enough capital to spend off the football bowl win to give Dunleavy another year. The question is does he want to spend that capital on this coaching staff and program? Because it’s not like fritz went 11-2 and won the Conference. Things look positive but I wouldn’t call them great. If he keeps Dunleavy he either really believes in him or has zero financial wiggle room. The other possibility is he keeps Dunleavy, football wins 5 games next season, baseball falters down the stretch and Dunleavy wins 0 games in conference next season. Then instead of calling for Dunleavy or Fritz job we are calling for Dannens job. Personally I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for Dunleavy. Cut bait and move on.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:15 am
WavyHoops wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:35 am I’m willing to wait and see what he does at the end of the season. The disruption of mid-season firings often makes them counterproductive. If he doesn’t make the right move (directly or indirectly) after the season it will be a travesty.
Oh yea. Like the time he fired Ed Conroy but Ed kept winning and advancing in the AAC tournament. Except everyone but Ed knew that he was fired. Hard to top that blunder but by keeping Dunleavy around that will top it for sure.
Agree with both comments
Bigschtick
Riptide

sader24 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm i Think he has just enough capital to spend off the football bowl win to give Dunleavy another year. The question is does he want to spend that capital on this coaching staff and program? Because it’s not like fritz went 11-2 and won the Conference. Things look positive but I wouldn’t call them great. If he keeps Dunleavy he either really believes in him or has zero financial wiggle room. The other possibility is he keeps Dunleavy, football wins 5 games next season, baseball falters down the stretch and Dunleavy wins 0 games in conference next season. Then instead of calling for Dunleavy or Fritz job we are calling for Dannens job. Personally I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel for Dunleavy. Cut bait and move on.
I am in your camp on this issue.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Jaxwave
Swell

I don’t know why you guys keep blaming all these ADs and coaches. This has been going on 60 years. What is hard to admit is the problem has been, is and will continue to be a lack of will by the university to fully commit to athletics. To a lesser extent the whole segregation between P5 and G5 probably means a full commitment is too late. As big a fan as I am, I have come to the conclusion a full commitment now would be throwing away money unless a P5 conference affiliation is in the works. Until then, can we really expect to hire good ADs and coaches?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 am I don’t know why you guys keep blaming all these ADs and coaches. This has been going on 60 years. What is hard to admit is the problem has been, is and will continue to be a lack of will by the university to fully commit to athletics. To a lesser extent the whole segregation between P5 and G5 probably means a full commitment is too late. As big a fan as I am, I have come to the conclusion a full commitment now would be throwing away money unless a P5 conference affiliation is in the works. Until then, can we really expect to hire good ADs and coaches?
jaxwave....I agree with much you have posted...but hiring good coaches is not an issue...there are only so many College jobs available...and many good coaches...facilities are the biggest concern, when attracting good coaches, it is also a double edge sword when trying to attract new conference affililations....leaving the dome was a huge mistake, the students did not show then and they do not show now....the dome was a drawing card for the Big 12 and /or the ACC...the money should have been spent on infrastructure and still can be by roofing ( I will no use the term 'dome") Yulman, this solves many issues at once.... I will also add, for the last time., Tulane finds itself in it's current state, because of ITSELF and no one else...stupidity, ignorance and most of all arrogrance are the traits of former Presidents and some current Board members
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That's what I've been saying all along. Without the proper facilities you can't get good coaches or players.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:19 am I don’t know why you guys keep blaming all these ADs and coaches. This has been going on 60 years. What is hard to admit is the problem has been, is and will continue to be a lack of will by the university to fully commit to athletics. To a lesser extent the whole segregation between P5 and G5 probably means a full commitment is too late. As big a fan as I am, I have come to the conclusion a full commitment now would be throwing away money unless a P5 conference affiliation is in the works. Until then, can we really expect to hire good ADs and coaches?
That was true for 60 years and under Cowen. Fitts has more than doubled the athletic dept subsidies. Dannen has to go out and raise money for new and better facilities. Money generated from G5 status isn’t going to do it. He has the money to attract and pay for good coaches. Houston is like 27-1 now. It can be done here. To excuse Dannen for hiring and now keeping lifetime proven loser Dunleavy won’t cut it here. We now have at least 2 players in the NBA that Conroy recruited here with so called lack of facilities. And old Ed Conroy also beat Houston in his last weekend coaching at Tulane.
Dannen has replaced Conroy with the worst coach in Tulane basketball history. There’s the problem.
wave97
Swell

In May of 1980, Larry Smith left Tulane to become Head Coach at University of Arizona. The timing of this coaching staff change was odd because HC Tony Mason & staff had been fired that April by the University of Arizona on charges of fraud. According to the New York Times; "Coach Mason faced a possibility of more than 30 years in prison if he had been convicted on all charges, including theft, conspiracy, fraud, filing false claims and tampering with public documents. He was accused of having been reimbursed by the university for seven false airline ticket receipts and per diem expenses on six statements he filed and one turned in by an assistant, for a total of $2,828". The jury found Coach Mason not guilty on all counts.
In May of 1980 Tulane Athletic Director, Hindman Wall made the single poorest decision of his career. He hired his friend, Vince Gibson HC of Louisville & K State, over Larry Smith's OC Lindy Infante (1989 NFL Coach of the year). The program at that time was so loaded with talent even Vince Gibson & staff were able to compete with and defeat top ten schools.
We are lucky to have been accepted into the AAC. With stability within the Athletic Dept, we may have another chance for continued success on the field and in the minds of alumni and sports entertainment consumers. We win, we'll grow, we grow, we build.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:15 am

Ed, like the rest of us knew he was gone when the season ended two weeks before the conference tournament. ESPN thought they had a "scoop". They didn't read the New Orleans papers (or the online version of them.)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

If only we had Dickson and Conroy back . Boy those were the days. NOT. I do believe the school has increased the subsidy to athletics. No one has shown how much though. Even if we doubled it that wouldn't even be close to what's needed after the damage done over the last 70 years. It would likely need to be at least quadrupled. We are paying more for coaches but are we paying what the other top G5's are paying is the important question. Plus money isn't the only factor a coach looks for. They look to see if they can succeed and one of the main things is facilities. Reynolds and Frazier aren't NBA players at this point they are G-Leaguer's who get a cup of coffee once in a great while.More importantly they weren't NBA talents when they signed here. They got where they are because of MD's coaching them up. He can't coach a team but he has shown he can coach up individual players. But hey let's stick with those same facilities because they have garnered us so much talent in the last 20 years. Only at Tulane.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

Does TCU receive 40 million a year for the performance of their basketball program?
gbgreenie
Surge

Bunch of losers, Negative Annie's you are the problem, Dannon is not the problem, Tulane University is not the problem. You expect a University to spend millions in good faith with such a dismal fan base that live by excuses. Sorry that never happens. Only a maniac commits huge amounts of money without a light at the end of the tunnel. This city, this fanbase, none of it has proven strong enough support. Even the 1997 and 1998 Foot ball team did not bring support that is enough to sustain a lst rate program. Tommy Bowden was offered the same to stay as Clemson offered but he saw the limitations in the Greenwave fan support, same thing with Mack Brown, they both left because of limitations they saw. You can't build a consistent winner with a fan base that has not exhibited the ability to explode when needed against top opposition. Always excuses, always living in the past. If You support with revenue a winner will come. You expect the University to spend millions in good faith, well where is your good faith that the pieces are in place for continued winning, the missing piece is fan support. Facing a top ten baseball team in Ole Miss and not nearly having 2-3000 solid Tulane fans at each game is a dismal showing and means more of the same. Would you spend your money in a Mutual Fund if the rate of return is dismal. Be real you are disgraceful poor excuse for Green Wave Fans, plain pathetic is the word!!!
Highwave
Low Tide

His name is Troy Dannen (with an 'e', not an 'o') and football is one word.

Also, please direct me to a program with TU's losing history that has the fan support you insist we should have. We were not selling out the Dome in '98 but TU saw average attendance increase by 10,000 fans per game over the 1997-98 years. On the heels of 10 consecutive losing seasons and against an abysmal schedule, that is pretty impressive if you ask me.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

And as late as the Mack Brown years, we averaged 38,000 per game—very comparable to everyone but the 20 biggest football factories. Then came Eamon Kelly’s mindless Tulane Model, Greg Davis, The Buddy System, a two-year respite with Tommy Boy, and then the bottom fell out with Cowen, Scelfo, Toledo, and CJ—over a quarter of a century of failure—no wonder we’ve lost a generation of fans. And it was ALL because of failed Tulane leadership.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
nawlinspete
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:29 pm At this point we have lost two generations and working on a third.
At this point it's the W's and L's stupid
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .