Troy Dannen

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
NotJtS
Low Tide

Dannen is a younger Dickson with a necktie and no hair.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

GL- I get where you’re coming from but remember if we drop basketball we are out of the AAC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:21 pm GL- I get where you’re coming from but remember if we drop basketball we are out of the AAC.
Yep.
So we’ll just keep Dunleavy and risk being kicked out.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
oliveandblue
Surge

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:21 pm GL- I get where you’re coming from but remember if we drop basketball we are out of the AAC.
Actually, our value to the conference increases without hoops. It's currently a net negative. Football is turning a corner and is soon going to give us some benefit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Talk of dropping basketball is ludicrous. We want to win, not quit.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
oliveandblue
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm Talk of dropping basketball is ludicrous. We want to win, not quit.
I think we need to start including sarcasm tags lol

But yeah, we're between a rock and a hard place. We have a CAA level hoops team in a borderline power conference. We're outclassed in hoops at a structural level. This isn't happening in football or baseball.

The new basketball IPF has not paid dividends.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

oliveandblue wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm Talk of dropping basketball is ludicrous. We want to win, not quit.

But yeah, we're between a rock and a hard place. We have a CAA level hoops team in a borderline power conference. We're outclassed in hoops at a structural level. This isn't happening in football or baseball.

We'd finish close to the bottom, if not on the bottom of the CAA.
oliveandblue
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:00 pm

We'd finish close to the bottom, if not on the bottom of the CAA.
Last year we'd have been top half. I was thinking program, and not team - I should have indicated that.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Understatement of the year. I remember when Doug Hertz made the contribution for the basketball/volleyball IPF, we were told how this was a game changer for basketball, far more important than a new arena--that basketball players and coaches put far more importance on their practice facilities than they do their game facilities. Apparently the first rate IPF can be vastly overwhelmed by an incompetent head coach. So the order is: (1) University Board; (2) University President (3) Athletic Director (4) Head Coach; (5) Practice Facilities and (6) Stadium/Arena. Failure at any level, brings into question the competency of previous level(s). We have failed for many years at most all of these, especially the President, AD and Head Coach levels--which I guess means our Boards have been blithering idiots. And we continue to pay the huge price for such incompetence--few wins, little alumni pride, weak financial support, and weak endowment.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:19 pm
Actually, our value to the conference increases without hoops. It's currently a net negative. Football is turning a corner and is soon going to give us some benefit.
We’re a full member. Without basketball we wouldn’t be and thus kicked out.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
nawlinspete
Riptide

We're waiting....
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
netshorty
Surge

Maybe Dannen subscribes to our favorite ex-president's thoughts in this garbage he writes about losing...

The Value of Failure: How We Can Make the Most of Losing
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/art ... m-failure
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The BOA, President Fitts, and Troy Dannen must all come together and recognize how bad this season reflects on the University. Football and Basketball are the "Front Porch" sports of any D1 University today. Our front porch is in need of dire repairs. No, there is not enough capital built by a 7-6 football season. All talk of accountability is out the window if no change is made at the head coaching position of the men's basketball team. We were one of the all-time bad teams not only in Tulane history, but in D1 basketball history. It's amazing we won 4 games. 21 losses in a row is pathetic.

TROY, YOU NEED TO MAKE THE CHANGE THAT EVERYONE KNOWS NEEDS TO BE DONE. Yes, I'm screaming. Sorry, but I'm passionate about Tulane sports, and this was totally unacceptable.

I was VERY optimistic when Dunleavy was hired. Clearly, this experiment has failed badly.

YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE. We've lost 21 in a row, the worst basketball team Tulane has fielded EVER. There isn't another University in D1 that would retain a coach with his record this year or his three year record.
Dave breslin
Swell

If lsu fires wade, than hire him and give him the same budget to buy players that he currently has. That’s how you win in D1. Now what’s the emoji for sarcasm?
greenie78
Riptide

Again this is just not about Dannen. If Tulane wants to make a change, the big donors need to make it happen to help buyout Dumbass’s contract and hire a viable coach.
GreenLantern
Riptide

netshorty wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm Maybe Dannen subscribes to our favorite ex-president's thoughts in this garbage he writes about losing...

The Value of Failure: How We Can Make the Most of Losing
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/art ... m-failure
Actually this is a pretty interesting read, even if it was an opinion piece penned by our intrepid former prez. I particular enjoyed his major talking point number two (irony of the second degree):

Failure 2: Hiring the wrong person and then taking too long to correct the mistake

Realizing that these words were written by Scott Cowen made me gag.
msdos
Swell

The most money Tulane has ever given a basketball coach, the longest contract Tulane has ever given a basketball coach all to a man who had never coached college basketball. And what did we get? The worst basketball season in school history. Yes, Dunleavy needs to go and stupid bitch boy Dannen with him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We've all admitted we we're wrong about him. NOW IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO DO THE SAME TROY. OWN IT.
Show Me
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 pm We've all admitted we we're wrong about him. NOW IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO DO THE SAME TROY. OWN IT.
Couldn’t agree more. He’s done a terrible job so far in everything. Football was a 2pt conversion from a 3rd straight losing season. Basketball has been a complete disaster in both men and women’s. Women’s golf and tennis hasn’t improved on his watch either. He killed baseball and the LSU series. Zephyr going to become a permanent soccer stadium so that LSU Pontiff Classic will go away. His fund raising hasn’t produced anything of note. His seat license has run off more fans. Where is Fitts? Where is the Board and donors like Hertz?
There needs to be accountability. Rick Dickson looks good now.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:02 pm We've all admitted we we're wrong about him. NOW IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO DO THE SAME TROY. OWN IT.
Couldn’t agree more. He’s done a terrible job so far in everything. Football was a 2pt conversion from a 3rd straight losing season. Basketball has been a complete disaster in both men and women’s. Women’s golf and tennis hasn’t improved on his watch either. He killed baseball and the LSU series. Zephyr going to become a permanent soccer stadium so that LSU Pontiff Classic will go away. His fund raising hasn’t produced anything of note. His seat license has run off more fans. Where is Fitts? Where is the Board and donors like Hertz?
There needs to be accountability. Rick Dickson looks good now.
Dannen is an athletic version of Cowen—failure across the board.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:17 pm Again this is just not about Dannen. If Tulane wants to make a change, the big donors need to make it happen to help buyout Dumbass’s contract and hire a viable coach.
And while they’re at it, go ahead and buy out Dannen’s contract at the same time.
gbgreenie
Surge

I have never been involved with such morons as the one's posting on this board. Your arguments are empty, drop basketball really, comparing our Green Wave Team as CAA level you might as well spit in our student athletes face. You are a bunch of disrespectful low class clowns posing as Tulane fans. Fans my rear butt. Putting down the players is as low and classless as you morons can be. Grow up and go elsewhere if you can't show some respect and class. This is not "Constructive Criticism" it is "Destructive Criticism". Destructive criticism to the University and to the team and coaches. What coach would want to come here with such low class, ghetto level class fan pretenders. Learn what is the difference between Constructive Criticism and Destructive Criticism that is if you morons can read. You act like a bunch of animals or should I say vultures describe you perfectly. Respect the University and players who gave their hearts to be a winner this year, that's more then I can say about you who abandoned them yet spit in their face comparing them to CAA level, really!!!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Named a finalists for Athletic Director of the Year
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/J ... ector.aspx
Troy Dannen was part of one of the most inspiring feel-good stories of the past year with Tulane’s run to a championship in the American Athletic Conference, followed by a stunning 46-45 victory over Southern California in the Cotton Bowl. While he might have been pressured to make a change at head football coach during leaner times, Dannen never wavered in his support of Willie Fritz, who was his first coaching hire, and the decision paid off handsomely with an all-time season in 2022.

When Dannen hasn’t been providing the support the football team needed to make a run at its first AAC title, he was taking on a greater leadership role nationally by sitting on highly influential committees that helped shape the direction of a reformed NCAA. His involvement in the NCAA Constitution Committee contributed to the writing of a new governance model while also identifying the core principles that should identify college athletics.

Dannen, who was hired by Tulane in 2015, has been especially active on NCAA football boards as well. He has served on the football oversight committee and chaired the football competition committee.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

My guess is he’s trying to get a P5 job badly.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Half of those six have Louisiana ties. Josh Brooks is a Louisiana native, Danny White grew up here, and of course Dannen is AD at Tulane.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson