Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:41 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm
tpstulane wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:22 am Pels clean house of Demps and gang. MD hired as Pels GM Tulane off the hook for his salary. Dunleavy and family stay in NOLA. MD would be an excellent NBA GM convinces AD to stay a Pel. TD goes out and finds the next up & coming coach for the Wave.
Everyone wins.
How could you wish that on the Pels? They have enough problems.
Tough crowd here.
I should have added the smilie face. :D

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We're getting blown out 11 minutes into the game, 24 - 12 with just over 8 minutes left in the half. Announcers talking about 4 players standing around while one dribbles and tries to create something. This team stinks. No sign of ANY coaching. Dunleavy MUST go at year end.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave QB
Swell

Wow. These kids might have just quit on Dunleavy.
anEngineer
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 pm Wow. These kids might have just quit on Dunleavy.
Quit!!?? They fought hard in the second half and cut it to 6 with 4 minutes left. They just couldn't make the shot or the stop when they had to. SMU doesn't appear to be as good as recent teams but losing by 9 is better than I expected.

If this team plays like this from here out, they could win a couple. I'm not defending it, but they haven't quit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave QB wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 pm Wow. These kids might have just quit on Dunleavy.
Having watched the whole game, my comments were premature. They didn't quit on Dunleavy, they just don't seem to have any set offensive plays. It's literally like he sends five guys out on the court and tells them to play ball! They actually did some good things tonight, like attacking rebounds as if they cared about getting them, for a change. At times they played good pressure d.

But there's still too much standing around on the offensive end, and giving up way too easy shots on the defensive side. There was a play with about 3 minutes left and Tulane down by about 6-8 points that the SMU player drove right at Zhang, who was in position to take a charge, or make a play. Zhang moved out of the way and didn't commit a foul. Matador defense at it's finest.
Wave QB
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm
Quit!!?? They fought hard in the second half and cut it to 6 with 4 minutes left. They just couldn't make the shot or the stop when they had to. SMU doesn't appear to be as good as recent teams but losing by 9 is better than I expected.

If this team plays like this from here out, they could win a couple. I'm not defending it, but they haven't quit.
Got it. I responded a bit too soon.
oliveandblue
Surge

The good news about possibly losing 23+ games is that you can't put lipstick on the pig. Dannen will have his hand forced in this situation.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

For the season, given how little coaching this team has had, I would say that Dunleavy gave up on the team.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

How about now?
Sunamiwave
High Tide

We were sold a bill of goods with the Dunleavy hire. Dunleavy has no business coaching college basketball whether it is at the Division One, Two, or Three level. Furthermore most young people and high school players that we would want to recruit were not around when Dunleavy was coaching in the NBA and do not know anything about him. Dunleavy as a one time NBA coach is ancient history as far as I am concerned, I do not understand how out of all the successful up and coming young coaches we got stuck with Dunleavy.
anEngineer
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:44 am

How about now?
Do you even pay attention to the games or just comment? They had to play without their leading scorer, Daniels (16 pts/game) . That's a pretty tall order for a team that is still trying to play without a legitimate point guard (Ona Embo) and is fielding mostly freshmen. Twenty-six turnovers sort of suggests the point guard issue is a huge problem. My comment was that they have not quit and there is still no evidence that they have.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

No, the team has not quit. They just stink, and are a much worse team and program than 3 years ago. There is absolutely nothing to indicate a turn around is coming. And winning 10 games next year, which would be an improvement over this season's dumpster fire, is not where we want to be.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Can’t say the players have quit, but can say they aren’t very good and nothing about the coaching reflects any interest in making the whole team be greater than the sum of its parts.

A valid rationale for not sacking a coach is that things will get worse, but in this case how can things get worse? This is one of the worst teams in D1 and an embarrassment to Tulane and the AAC.

If they lose at home to a mediocre Memphis team this weekend, Dannen has to act.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I don't necessarily think he has to act before the end of the season. If he canned Dunleavy, he'd name an assistant as interim HC. What good would that do? At least let the kids appreciate Dunleavy's wisdom for two more months. But this staff simply isn't getting the job done, and the X's and O's are lacking. I hope TD is making a list and doing his homework. We'll probably be an early out in the AAC tourney, so we could potentially make a change with a new coach in place before the NCAA tournament starts.
WavyHoops
High Tide

I see your point, perhaps it’s a better look to let MD go under his own steam. But Dannen has to somehow communicate that this is unacceptable.
anEngineer
Riptide

I think many of you under-estimate the seriousness of trying to play Division I basketball without a point guard... at all. I mean this team really has nothing. Barrett may be OK at some point but he is terrible now and Cornish never was a ball handler. You can fault Dunleavy for being in this situation but I just don't think there is any way you can play the game without somebody running the offense and passing the ball. That being said, I also don't think Tulane can financially afford to fire Dunleavy yet. They just don't have that kind of money to waste. Now if some of you want to pony up, I'm sure TD would be willing to listen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

game is 40 minutes long...Tulane scored 48 points....averging 1.2 points per minute...if only this wuz football....they be headed to the Rose Bowl on a Train
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am I think many of you under-estimate the seriousness of trying to play Division I basketball without a point guard... at all. I mean this team really has nothing. Barrett may be OK at some point but he is terrible now and Cornish never was a ball handler. You can fault Dunleavy for being in this situation but I just don't think there is any way you can play the game without somebody running the offense and passing the ball. That being said, I also don't think Tulane can financially afford to fire Dunleavy yet. They just don't have that kind of money to waste. Now if some of you want to pony up, I'm sure TD would be willing to listen.
We had two healthy NBA players plus
Embo was healthy the last last two losing seasons. Fogelman just gave basketball a million dollars. Would have been better spent buying out MD.
https://news.tulane.edu/news/avron-and- ... ll-program
Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Dunleavy Sr. praised how the gift will impact men’s basketball, saying: “We intend to use the gift to help our program win with improvements to our facilities, operations and the development of our student-athletes.”
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 am I think many of you under-estimate the seriousness of trying to play Division I basketball without a point guard... at all. I mean this team really has nothing. Barrett may be OK at some point but he is terrible now and Cornish never was a ball handler. You can fault Dunleavy for being in this situation but I just don't think there is any way you can play the game without somebody running the offense and passing the ball. That being said, I also don't think Tulane can financially afford to fire Dunleavy yet. They just don't have that kind of money to waste. Now if some of you want to pony up, I'm sure TD would be willing to listen.
This. And you can extend this to any level. You only need to look as far as the Smoothie King Center to see it in action. Pels when Elfrid Payton has played are 8-2, and they've been pretty dominant most of the time. 140 points, 81 in the second half last night. I know it was against the Cavs, but the point still remains. They're 12-20 without him. Pels last year when Rondo was here, compared to the previous season. Without a solid PG, you're not going to win a lot.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 am
This. And you can extend this to any level. You only need to look as far as the Smoothie King Center to see it in action. Pels when Elfrid Payton has played are 8-2, and they've been pretty dominant most of the time. 140 points, 81 in the second half last night. I know it was against the Cavs, but the point still remains. They're 12-20 without him. Pels last year when Rondo was here, compared to the previous season. Without a solid PG, you're not going to win a lot.
Injuries are part of the deal. I’ll agree both coaches are on thin ice.
So losing to SELA at home, one win Towson and winless Alabama A&M is because Embo is out?
Tulane Class of 1981
WavyHoops
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 am
If only there was someone whose job it was to make sure the team had enough quality guards and a cohesive offensive system so that the loss of one player didn't destroy the team's entire season.
netshorty
Surge

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 am Can’t say the players have quit, but can say they aren’t very good and nothing about the coaching reflects any interest in making the whole team be greater than the sum of its parts.

A valid rationale for not sacking a coach is that things will get worse, but in this case how can things get worse? This is one of the worst teams in D1 and an embarrassment to Tulane and the AAC.

If they lose at home to a mediocre Memphis team this weekend, Dannen has to act.
I'm reluctant to say they have quit but I do believe their confidence is so low that it is magnifying things like careless turnovers, not fighting for loose balls or rebounds, etc. This lack of intensity is also a bi-product of a coach that had set you up for failure. No offensive scheme so you appear lazy sitting around the perimeter and then hucking a shot as the clock expires. Or no help defense principles to guard against easy buckets. Or no transition defense strategy that allows easy fast break points This all looks like the kids have quit but the reality is the coaching is just so bad they are helpless ok the court.

I do believe there is a talent gap but that gap is magnified exponentially in this Dunleavy system {if you can call it that). For that reason I am not quick to say the players aren't very good but there is now denying the team and Dunleavy are terrible.

And there is no way in the world that we compete with Memphis this weekend. I've seen just one game against Withita. St and came away thinking if they full court press us all game too, we may have 40 turnovers.

I belive TD will give MD the opportunity to resign instead of firing him mid season.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

netshorty wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 am
WavyHoops wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 am Can’t say the players have quit, but can say they aren’t very good and nothing about the coaching reflects any interest in making the whole team be greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm reluctant to say they have quit but I do believe their confidence is so low that it is magnifying things like careless turnovers, not fighting for loose balls or rebounds, etc. This lack of intensity is also a bi-product of a coach that had set you up for failure. No offensive scheme so you appear lazy sitting around the perimeter and then hucking a shot as the clock expires. Or no help defense principles to guard against easy buckets. Or no transition defense strategy that allows easy fast break points This all looks like the kids have quit but the reality is the coaching is just so bad they are helpless ok the court.

I do believe there is a talent gap but that gap is magnified exponentially in this Dunleavy system {if you can call it that). For that reason I am not quick to say the players aren't very good but there is now denying the team and Dunleavy are terrible.

And there is no way in the world that we compete with Memphis this weekend. I've seen just one game against Withita. St and came away thinking if they full court press us all game too, we may have 40 turnovers.

I belive TD will give MD the opportunity to resign instead of firing him mid season.
Yes. But nobody will know we played Memphis since that game will be up against the Saints home playoff game vs Philly.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Embo is not anywhere close to the talent Payton is. As noted above even with Frazier and Reynolds he didn't make a difference as far as winning. As I've said all along it's a matter of a lack of talent ,which is on Dunleavy, and a lack of coaching.

As for affording to fire him that's TD's job to take care of. . That's always a weak argument that the apologist drudge up at these times.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 am Embo is not anywhere close to the talent Payton is. As noted above even with Frazier and Reynolds he didn't make a difference as far as winning. As I've said all along it's a matter of a lack of talent ,which is on Dunleavy, and a lack of coaching.

As for affording to fire him that's TD's job to take care of. . That's always a weak argument that the apologist drudge up at these times.
Just put up the money. To refuse would be a weak argument that know-it-alls drudge up at these times.