Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave QB
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:34 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm No comparison. Toledo had a career losing record. Alford has been a winner everywhere he's been. The sentiment in this thread is he'd be a very welcome relief compared to what we are getting from Dunleavy. At a minimum you'd hope he could stabilize things enough to make the job more appealing in the future.
Toledo did not have a career losing record according to the numbers I see.
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

UCLA is probably the best basketball job in the PAC 12. He never won the conference. What’s going to happen at Tulane when he’s got the #10 job in the AAC?
Alford won the PAC-12 Tournament Championship a few year was ago.

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yeah anyone who says Alford isn’t a good coach or can’t recruit is . . . Confused. Now if you want to challenge his humility, morality or our ability to get him then you have some firm footing to stand on. Ucla is a top 5 job in basketball, our only (faint) chance would be to throw money at him and hope he wants an immediate shot at coaching.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm No comparison. Toledo had a career losing record. Alford has been a winner everywhere he's been. The sentiment in this thread is he'd be a very welcome relief compared to what we are getting from Dunleavy. At a minimum you'd hope he could stabilize things enough to make the job more appealing in the future.
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

UCLA is probably the best basketball job in the PAC 12. He never won the conference. What’s going to happen at Tulane when he’s got the #10 job in the AAC?
I'm not talking about winning the conference tournament. I'm talking about winning the conference.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:44 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm Just fired from UCLA, you’re getting excited over another Toledo hire? Not me.
Toledo? I don’t get that comparison. His resume didn’t include 24 winning seasons at 5 different schools. Toledo didn’t have 21 post season appearances as well. Alford, (who has 10 conference championships), has kept each one of his teams in conference race and in the post season. UCLA fired him because he can’t get seem to get them to a National Championship.
He just got fired by UCL:A, that literally what Toledo did.

I'm not saying Alford has never been a good coach or cant be a good coach again. What I am saying is that at UCLA he had the most prestigious job in the PAC 12 probably the best resources and facilities and still he never won the conference. (don't tell me he won the conference tournament either, don't care)
So what do you think would happen if he came to Tulane with the 9th or 10th best resources in the AAC? You think he's going to manage to make us into a contender? I'd have my doubts about that.
Wave QB
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:18 am
Wave QB wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:50 am
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

I'm not talking about winning the conference tournament. I'm talking about winning the conference.
Ok, but winning the conference tournament makes you the champion of the conference and gives you the auto bid. It’s a bigger deal. The regular season title is just a guaranteed NIT bid.
Wave QB
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:37 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm Just fired from UCLA, you’re getting excited over another Toledo hire? Not me.
Toledo? I don’t get that comparison. His resume didn’t include 24 winning seasons at 5 different schools. Toledo didn’t have 21 post season appearances as well. Alford, (who has 10 conference championships), has kept each one of his teams in conference race and in the post season. UCLA fired him because he can’t get seem to get them to a National Championship.

I'm not saying Alford has never been a good coach or cant be a good coach again. What I am saying is that at UCLA he had the most prestigious job in the PAC 12 probably the best resources and facilities and still he never won the conference. (don't tell me he won the conference tournament either, don't care)
So what do you think would happen if he came to Tulane with the 9th or 10th best resources in the AAC? You think he's going to manage to make us into a contender? I'd have my doubts about that.

You must not be a big basketball fan if you think the conference tournament championship is second to the regular season title.

To answer your question, I think he would “easliy” turn us into a conference contender because his resume shows he has done this at many levels. Solid coaches win in the American. This guy is far from buffet Bob. He has won everywhere he has been.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

You left out his numbers at Tulane. He lost at Pacific and went a long time between HC jobs. He had two good years at UCLA because he had a good college QB. Alford has won everywhere he's been whether they had good resources or not.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 am
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

You left out his numbers at Tulane. He lost at Pacific and went a long time between HC jobs. He had two good years at UCLA because he had a good college QB. Alford has won everywhere he's been whether they had good resources or not.
Obviously I left out his numbers at Tulane, when we hired him, those numbers weren’t on his résumé.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 am

You must not be a big basketball fan if you think the conference tournament championship is second to the regular season title.

To answer your question, I think he would “easliy” turn us into a conference contender because his resume shows he has done this at many levels. Solid coaches win in the American. This guy is far from buffet Bob. He has won everywhere he has been.
Obviously I know that the tournament gets an auto-bid. I don’t think I should have to explain why winning the regular season is actually more impressive. Any team can get hot for a week, proving you’re the best team over 30 games is a much better indication of what team is best.

There’s some good stuff on his résumé but also some stuff that makes me think he would not do well here.
I’m not going to argue about it any more though, he won’t be here.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:11 am
winwave wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 am
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

Obviously I left out his numbers at Tulane, when we hired him, those numbers weren’t on his résumé.
In my OP I clearly said he had a career losing record which of course includes his tenure at Tulane.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:19 am

Obviously I know that the tournament gets an auto-bid. I don’t think I should have to explain why winning the regular season is actually more impressive. Any team can get hot for a week, proving you’re the best team over 30 games is a much better indication of what team is best.

There’s some good stuff on his résumé but also some stuff that makes me think he would not do well here.
A regular season title is more impressive than a conference tournament championship? If that were true, then the regular season title holders would get auto bids instead of being promised a NIT seat. The conference tournament shows that you team and coach can put the pedal to the metal. The regular season title is just a simple congrats and a high five. Winning the regular season title is impressive, but being the undisputed champion is more impressive. Alford’s team entered the sweet sixteen as the “PAC 12 Champions” that year. The man has won every where he has been and is always in the postseason. Someone like that can win at Tulane.
Ball Sumrall!
Profoundwizard
Swell

Eaglewave wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:15 pm

A regular season title is more impressive than a conference tournament championship? If that were true, then the regular season title holders would get auto bids instead of being promised a NIT seat. The conference tournament shows that you team and coach can put the pedal to the metal. The regular season title is just a simple congrats and a high five. Winning the regular season title is impressive, but being the undisputed champion is more impressive. Alford’s team entered the sweet sixteen as the “PAC 12 Champions” that year. The man has won every where he has been and is always in the postseason. Someone like that can win at Tulane.
You’re wrong. Not even up for debate. Having the best record over a 30ish game schedule where everyone plays each other is unequivocally more impressive and a better measure of which team is the best than which team wins a single elimination tournament. The fact that they give an automatic bid to the conference tournament champion doesn’t change that. They do that so that people will watch the conference tournaments on TV and they can make money off of it, not because they believe it does a better job at determining which team is best.
Wave QB
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 pm

You’re wrong. Not even up for debate. Having the best record over a 30ish game schedule where everyone plays each other is unequivocally more impressive and a better measure of which team is the best than which team wins a single elimination tournament. The fact that they give an automatic bid to the conference tournament champion doesn’t change that. They do that so that people will watch the conference tournaments on TV and they can make money off of it, not because they believe it does a better job at determining which team is best.
Wizard, I agree that it’s impressive, but the conference tournament champion is the conference champion and goes to the big dance. That’s the goal. No coach goes into the year more concerned about winning the regular season title than getting to the NCAA Tourney. This isn’t a debate because everyone knows what is the bigger deal.
ajcalhoun
Swell

And all this is discussing a guy who probably wouldn't even take an interview with us.
God Bless Everyone!
Profoundwizard
Swell

Wizard, I agree that it’s impressive, but the conference tournament champion is the conference champion and goes to the big dance. That’s the goal. No coach goes into the year more concerned about winning the regular season title than getting to the NCAA Tourney. This isn’t a debate because everyone knows what is the bigger deal.
Maybe in 1 bid leagues. In the leagues that people care about, if you win your league in the regular season, the tournament doesn't matter.
I’d guarantee that Coach Calipari and the like set the goal to win the league in the regular season before the tournament
Eaglewave
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I don’t disagree with this, but the fact remains that the conference tournament champion is the official conference champion. You posted that the man never won the conference while at UCLA, but he did. Winning the PAC-12 Conference Championship Game is impressive. To be honest, I don’t like conference tournaments because of the reasons you posted.
Ball Sumrall!
Profoundwizard
Swell

Fucking semantics.

I’m not that impressed by winning the PAC 12 tournament when you’re the coach at UCLA. That’s the expectation there.
Wave QB
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 am And all this is discussing a guy who probably wouldn't even take an interview with us.

True.
anEngineer
Riptide

Wave QB wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 am
ajcalhoun wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:03 am And all this is discussing a guy who probably wouldn't even take an interview with us.

True.
And it seems unlikely to me that Dunleavy will be fired or resign this year.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:15 am
And it seems unlikely to me that Dunleavy will be fired or resign this year.
Why not? If he has one of the worst seasons in Tulane basketball history, and the team is clearly worse than it was 3 years ago upon his arrival, he deserves to be fired if he doesn't step down.

Dannen has preached success and accountability. Letting a coach continue after 3 years where the best season saw his team go 5-13 in conference play, would undermine Dannen's credibility. Basketball matters a whole lot and we're one of the worst teams of the 300+ competing at the D1 level.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

If we keep taking beatings it’s hard to imagine he’ll survive. Usf just beat uconn (man I love when our non basketball focused aac mates beat uconn and their elitist miserable fans), so it’s really a race to the bottom between ECU & US. How embarrassing. The only reason I pay any attention is it’s fun to speculate with you all on replacements and if/when he’ll be fired. I also like dunleavy having met him a couple times at Tulane events- but it’s time for him to go.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

There is no comparison between Alford and Toledo. Comparing them because they both coached at UCLA is like comparing them because they are both U.S. citizens. Or maybe comparing them because they both have six letters in their last name.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 am If we keep taking beatings it’s hard to imagine he’ll survive. Usf just beat uconn (man I love when our non basketball focused aac mates beat uconn and their elitist miserable fans), so it’s really a race to the bottom between ECU & US. How embarrassing. The only reason I pay any attention is it’s fun to speculate with you all on replacements and if/when he’ll be fired. I also like dunleavy having met him a couple times at Tulane events- but it’s time for him to go.
Maybe if a few more keep beating them, the Big East won't even be interested in having them back. They really do have an attitude sometimes.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 am If we keep taking beatings it’s hard to imagine he’ll survive. Usf just beat uconn (man I love when our non basketball focused aac mates beat uconn and their elitist miserable fans), so it’s really a race to the bottom between ECU & US. How embarrassing. The only reason I pay any attention is it’s fun to speculate with you all on replacements and if/when he’ll be fired. I also like dunleavy having met him a couple times at Tulane events- but it’s time for him to go.
MD needs to be relieved of his coaching duties now. I watched the 1H of the Cincy game--it was brutal. We literally have no offensive scheme. We pass the ball around the perimeter two or three times, and then jack up a 3-pointer--most of which are not even close. There is no concerted effort to attack the paint, other than periodic kamikaze runs in the shot clocks final seconds. Whoever has the ball dribbles around while the other four generally stand around watching--its all very NBAish.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave QB
Swell

I am telling you guys, this kid is the next Brad Stevens.

http://www.lsuagenerals.com/SIDHelp/m/0 ... rdaro|.php