2019 FB Schedule

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:01 pm Pre spring Athlon sports 130 team rankings
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... pring-2019
I think ECU will be better than just the 20 teams ranked behind them here. Mike Houston could make a run at AAC Coach of the Year. He's that good. They may fall short of a bowl game (or may not) but he will have them competitive quickly.

I think I saw 4 or more teams on our schedule ranked below Tulane. Let's hope we can win those games and find our way to 8 wins this year. We need to keep moving forward, and this year's schedule is not easy.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

Any word yet on scheduling North Carolina since Mack was so anxious to see us play when he was with our FB team on his Hall of Fame Induction Tour ? A H/H at least . Two / two would be even better .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:31 pm Any word yet on scheduling North Carolina since Mack was so anxious to see us play when he was with our FB team on his Hall of Fame Induction Tour ? A H/H at least . Two / two would be even better .
Your best post in years!

TD should be on this like white on rice.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

UNC would be great, but my number 1 request would be Vandy.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 am UNC would be great, but my number 1 request would be Vandy.
Never drew flies to Tulane Stadium when we were in SEC , aka The Toilet Bowl .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:49 am Athlon's spring rankings
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... pring-2019
Wow! Arkansas and Ole Miss are both ranked only a couple spots higher than Tulane. Given that this article is meaningless pre-season click-bait, but still. How the mighty have fallen.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:21 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 am UNC would be great, but my number 1 request would be Vandy.
We have SEC history with them, they are a southern peer university that I’m sure students have a lot of friends at, and gives us our best chance at beating an SEC team. I am sure they will draw better than FIU or our usually cast of characters. I am sure that the flies it did draw at Tulane stadium is probably equivalent to one of our high attended games at yulman.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm We have SEC history with them, they are a southern peer university that I’m sure students have a lot of friends at, and gives us our best chance at beating an SEC team. I am sure they will draw better than FIU or our usually cast of characters. I am sure that the flies it did draw at Tulane stadium is probably equivalent to one of our high attended games at yulman.
I agree and you make good points. Consider whom you're arguing with and how much sense 99% of his posts make. I'd be happy playing Vanderbilt, Stanford, Northwestern and other higher profile Academic institutions that play D1 football in P5 conferences. There's no shortage of them out there, and we should have at least one on the schedule every year. We're going to have one FCS school each year, let's have one Academic Peer (or at least one we'd like to emulate!) regularly.
dpm wave
Swell

So, I usually try to make the trip over for a game when the Saints also happen to be in town to more easily justify the $$$ spent on hotel, restaurants, tix etc.

This year it looks like no favors were done for me. Saints/Tulane only play in town twice. The first is vs FIU and Dolphins (preseason). This also happens to be scheduled at the exact same time. So, if I go it will be for Tulane only.

The only other game is vs UCF and Panthers on November 23/24.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

dpm wave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:03 pm So, I usually try to make the trip over for a game when the Saints also happen to be in town to more easily justify the $$$ spent on hotel, restaurants, tix etc.

This year it looks like no favors were done for me. Saints/Tulane only play in town twice. The first is vs FIU and Dolphins (preseason). This also happens to be scheduled at the exact same time. So, if I go it will be for Tulane only.

The only other game is vs UCF and Panthers on November 23/24.
Ugh I didn’t know about the UCF game conflicting with a saints divisional rival. I was hoping we would get some casual fans at that game. Like it or not people know who UCF are now, especially LSU fans.
swampnik
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm
nawlinspete wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:21 am
We have SEC history with them, they are a southern peer university that I’m sure students have a lot of friends at, and gives us our best chance at beating an SEC team. I am sure they will draw better than FIU or our usually cast of characters. I am sure that the flies it did draw at Tulane stadium is probably equivalent to one of our high attended games at yulman.
I remember one Vandy-TU game around 1966 drew only 9,ooo in Tulane Stadium. Notre Dame only drew 41, ooo. I used to save the T-P clippings in my scrapbook.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think if we drew 9,000 butts in the seats (we must have scheduled the game conflicting with the saints ;) ) and beat an SEC team we would call that a success !
oliveandblue
Surge

I want to see Tulane get to the point where we can become our own draw.

I think our win percentage is a bigger issue than our SOS. There is ZERO benefit to Tulane overscheduling.

One nasty nonconference game is good. Need to consistently get to 8 or 9 wins a year.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm I want to see Tulane get to the point where we can become our own draw.

I think our win percentage is a bigger issue than our SOS. There is ZERO benefit to Tulane overscheduling.

One nasty nonconference game is good. Need to consistently get to 8 or 9 wins a year.
Sorry but that's Dicksonian thinking. Dumbing down the schedule to just get to a certain number of wins fools no one and will not help draw fans. I'm not advocating playing Ohio St., Oklahoma, Bama and Clemson as our OOC every year. If we progress like we should this year then it's time to drop the FCS game. Bring on TCU and teams like that. We want respect and we want fans we have to earn it. That's the only way we start drawing crowds.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
oliveandblue
Surge

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm
oliveandblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:13 pm I want to see Tulane get to the point where we can become our own draw.

Sorry but that's Dicksonian thinking. Dumbing down the schedule to just get to a certain number of wins fools no one and will not help draw fans. I'm not advocating playing Ohio St., Oklahoma, Bama and Clemson as our OOC every year. If we progress like we should this year then it's time to drop the FCS game. Bring on TCU and teams like that. We want respect and we want fans we have to earn it. That's the only way we start drawing crowds.
The problem back then wasn't the SOS. It was an uncommited admin and piss poor coaching. The program was going to lose regardless of opponent. This team is average now - it used to not be that way.

As far as P5 games go, we seem to compete against most ACC teams just fine. I would avoid the top half of the SEC West.

Most of the Pac 12 is a good challenge for us.

I went to school from 06 to 11. I only remember two P5 wins in my life. Rutgers and MSU (they had Croom and didn't recruit like they do now)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

oliveandblue wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:01 pm

The problem back then wasn't the SOS. It was an uncommited admin and piss poor coaching. The program was going to lose regardless of opponent. This team is average now - it used to not be that way.

As far as P5 games go, we seem to compete against most ACC teams just fine. I would avoid the top half of the SEC West.

I went to school from 06 to 11. I only remember two P5 wins in my life. Rutgers and MSU (they had Croom and didn't recruit like they do now)
That wasn't my point. Trying to fool people by scheduling weak to get to 8 wins won't fool anyone.That's what Dickson would do. That's what we are trying in baseball this year. It's not working. The crowds are small despite the record and the great hitting. That's because people saw us go 1-5 against good teams and then rack up wins against weak opposition.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 pm

That wasn't my point. Trying to fool people by scheduling weak to get to 8 wins won't fool anyone.That's what Dickson would do. That's what we are trying in baseball this year. It's not working. The crowds are small despite the record and the great hitting. That's because people saw us go 1-5 against good teams and then rack up wins against weak opposition.

Fans want to come out to see a winner. Our problem hasn’t been scheduling in football, it’s been coaching. I have no problem with scheduling a FCS, but I would only bring in teams from Louisiana. Those games cut a check to division I-aa programs, and they help us become 1 more game closer to a bowl trip. An American Conference team playing for a national title is out of the question in the current format. So why schedule like we are trying to impress voters? We should always attempt to get 1 big name opponent on our schedule, but every else outside of the American needs to be against opponents who we have a good shot at beating. Recruits will play for a 8-4 team over a 2-10 team.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Tulane needs to forget lsu...just as texas A/M has told UT, they have moved on...so should Tulane..Tulane needs to schedule an instate FCS team each year, and one PEE team each year and one border state state team each year...if ya build a winner, people will show up, the responsibility for a sound and winning program is Tulane's....at one time Memphis State, UCF, USF, UH, Baylor, TCU could not get people in the stands, now they all draw good size crowds..WIN and people will attend,.... at one time you could walk up at a UT game and sit on the 50 yard line, tickets were so easy to get, I know because my wife and I did it several times ...move on from lsu...those days have passed, time to move forward
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 am

Fans want to come out to see a winner. Our problem hasn’t been scheduling in football, it’s been coaching. I have no problem with scheduling a FCS, but I would only bring in teams from Louisiana. Those games cut a check to division I-aa programs, and they help us become 1 more game closer to a bowl trip. An American Conference team playing for a national title is out of the question in the current format. So why schedule like we are trying to impress voters? We should always attempt to get 1 big name opponent on our schedule, but every else outside of the American needs to be against opponents who we have a good shot at beating. Recruits will play for a 8-4 team over a 2-10 team.
That's classic Rick Dickson thinking. Playing a weak schedule to get to 8-4 will not noticeably improve attendance. The only way our attendance sees a true rise is to win at least 10 every year and against a better schedule. I know we all like trying to help Aresco promote the AAC as a Power conference but it's not. This is not a killer conference and who we play in it doesn't draw much interest. If UCF had beaten LSU and had Milton at QB it would draw well here but they didn't and they won't so it just won't register unless we are undefeated. So if we want to get fans attention we need to drop the FCS game and toughen up the OOC.
Wave QB
Swell

Yes, we have to get to the point where our program wins 8 to 9 games per year. I think Fritz can consistently win 6-7. Fans want to see wins. We can play Clemson, but we better through in a penciled in win vs a FCS and maybe a Sun Belt or C-USA opponent on the schedule with them if we want to keep fans interested in seeing a winning product. I have no problem with FCS games. We don’t have to schedule them every year, but playing them here and there doesn’t hurt. Scheduling smart is what helps the program. Wanting to see LSU, Clemson and Bama on the schedule can damage your win loss percentage and make sure things get difficult win you are trying to go bowl. When was the last time a G5 played for a National Title? The strength of schedule needs to become a concern of ours when we start winning 11-12 games and upset that we aren’t getting respect. Right now, we need to schedule to witness winning football and consistent bowl invitations.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:27 am
Wave QB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:37 am

That's classic Rick Dickson thinking. Playing a weak schedule to get to 8-4 will not noticeably improve attendance. The only way our attendance sees a true rises to win at least 10 every year and against a better schedule. I know we all like trying to help Aresco promote the AAC as a Power conference but it's not. This is not a killer conference and who we play in it doesn't draw much interest. If UCF had beaten LSU and had Milton at QB it would draw well here but they didn't and they won't so it just won't register unless we are undefeated. So if we want to get fans attention we need to drop the FCS game and toughen up the OOC.
I respectfully disagree. An 8-4 season would increase our attendance. 9-10 wins would increase it significantly. This is not an era where kids beg for games vs Texas at home. They just want to see a winning home team. There is no way our numbers look the same with a winning product.
Wave QB
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 am Tulane needs to forget lsu...just as texas A/M has told UT, they have moved on...so should Tulane..Tulane needs to schedule an instate FCS team each year, and one PEE team each year and one border state state team each year...if ya build a winner, people will show up, the responsibility for a sound and winning program is Tulane's....at one time Memphis State, UCF, USF, UH, Baylor, TCU could not get people in the stands, now they all draw good size crowds..WIN and people will attend,.... at one time you could walk up at a UT game and sit on the 50 yard line, tickets were so easy to get, I know because my wife and I did it several times ...move on from lsu...those days have passed, time to move forward
Agreed. Let’s talk about them when we have won a few AAC titles or put together a consistent 9-10 win program. A Louisiana FCS, Sun Belt , C-USA and lower tier P5 program should stay on the menu.

These programs should be the only options at this point. (In order)

FCS:
Any Louisiana Program

Sun Belt:
ULL, ULM, USA, Texas State,

C-USA:
La Tech, USM, UTSA, Rice, UTEP, FIU, FAU,

ACC:
Wake Forest, Duke, UNC, Louisville,

Big 12:
Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State, TCU,

SEC:
Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi State