Wave beats the Wave Again as UAB wins 31-24

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:05 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 am
msdos wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 am This talk of dropping football is retarded.
Fritz just cannot hack it at this level. Look at CJ. He got us to a bowl in C-USA. Moved to AAC and couldn't compete. We just need someone who can coach above the JV level.

Agreed about Fritz. Tulane just needs to hire the OC from a P5 that generally has a great offense.
CJ isn't half the coach Fritz is. He played a WEAK AS sh*t schedule in 2013, and, due to key injuries of our opponents he should have won 10 games. Take a closer look at that season, we were very poorly coached.
Thank you D. If we are doing cj v wf comparisons and you come away with cj being better, please pass me what you’re smoking. It must be good...
What are you smoking? What did I say that makes you believe I think CJ was even a decent HC?

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm
tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 pm
Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm Who and what was said by a player? I guess he thinks we are the tops because we played in the Rose Bowl in the past. We also had a president who painted his head with lead green paint. Losing to a team who restarted football two years ago! That would be impossible—-but we can do the impossible. I had hopes before the season because of the hype. But it’s the same old Tulane. UAB started with zero. We started in the negative. The negative for 15 years
Banks and Mooney both referred to UAB as a lower level team this week in an article in the Advocate.
And so did Fritz. We haven't beaten anyone anytime recently, we should NEVER say another program is at a lower level.
Fritz did not say they were a lower level team.
Yes he did. If I find it and quote it, will you admit you're wrong?
:lol: :lol: :lol: this I gotta see!

Only Banks said it here:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 22c68.html
Ok, if Fritz didn't come out and say it, he certainly implied it, which is where his players bought into it:
My experience has been the better team usually wins, whether it’s at home or on the road,” he said. “We just want our guys to prepare themselves and be ready to go Saturday.”
I thought I read that he came out and said they were a "lower team" but don't have the time to go try to find it. If the above statement is as close as he came to saying it, I will admit to being wrong, but it sure showed up as if the ENTIRE TEAM felt that way through the first half on GAMEDAY. WE SUCK and SHOULD NEVER THINK AN OPPONENT IS A LESSER TEAM. That's my point and it played out EXACTLY as predicted.
I read the article and it wasn't there because he didn't say it. You're also wrong as Mooney also said UAB was a lower school. Not only did everybody get the point everybody agreed no one affiliated with Tulane athletics should ever talk that way. Captain obvious stuff. BTW, you didn't admit you were wrong. LOL. If I had been wrong I would have admitted it but once again you would have claimed I didn't . :lol:
Last edited by winwave on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 am
DfromCT wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 pm
Dave breslin wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:18 pm Who and what was said by a player? I guess he thinks we are the tops because we played in the Rose Bowl in the past. We also had a president who painted his head with lead green paint. Losing to a team who restarted football two years ago! That would be impossible—-but we can do the impossible. I had hopes before the season because of the hype. But it’s the same old Tulane. UAB started with zero. We started in the negative. The negative for 15 years
Banks and Mooney both referred to UAB as a lower level team this week in an article in the Advocate.
And so did Fritz. We haven't beaten anyone anytime recently, we should NEVER say another program is at a lower level.
Fritz did not say they were a lower level team.
Yes he did. If I find it and quote it, will you admit you're wrong?
:lol: :lol: :lol: this I gotta see!

Only Banks said it here:
https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 22c68.html
Boy is that the pot calling the kettle black. :mrgreen:
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:47 pm I can’t blame Dannen for initially hiring Fritz as he looked good on paper and was having success at Georgia Southern. However, Dannen’s decision to give Fritz a contract extension after last season looks like he made a terrible decision.

I though Buffet Bob and CJ were good hires, but I ended up eating my words. This time, I wasn’t a huge fan of bringing in Fritz because I thought it was time for a big name hire that would bring some attention to the program. A former NFL QB, former P5 coach who wanted to get his name back into the coaching mix, or a long time coordinator who has been around championship programs. Fritz seems like a ok guy, but he screams “5-7 wins for the most part” loudly. I hope I am wrong like I was about CJ and Buffet Bob, but I just don’t see him talking off at Tulane.
netshorty
Surge

Wave QB wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:47 pm I can’t blame Dannen for initially hiring Fritz as he looked good on paper and was having success at Georgia Southern. However, Dannen’s decision to give Fritz a contract extension after last season looks like he made a terrible decision.

I thought it was time for a big name hire that would bring some attention to the program.
Kinda like a Mike Dunleavy equivalent in football... Oh shoot that didn't work either....
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I spent a little time searching, and winwave was right, I was wrong. Fritz didn't come out and say UAB is a lower level team, at least not publicly. I guess when I read two players saying it and Fritz making his "better team usually wins" comment I interpreted that as Fritz saying Tulane had the better team. I have no problem admitting I'm wrong; I said I would do so and now I have once again.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetrader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm
GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm
Wavetrader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:40 pm Banks had a big second half, getting his QB rating up to 68.75 He had a 10.41 rating at half--and Fritz stayed with him--unbelievable.
But,,, but.... according to some of our posters it's the Oline's fault and Banks is a great QB. Banks can't make the correct read on the option, he doesn't have a pocket presence, he can't pick up the the hot blitzers coming right into his face, he can't throw the ball in under 5 seconds after the snap, he can't can't hit open underneath receivers. I honestly believe we would be better with Glen Cuiellete at QB. I fault Willie for leaving us with Banks and no other options at QB until the late Mcmillan transfer. He should write off Banks and see what we've got with McM. We'll be 1 & 5 anyway. I really can't watch the Banks Hero Ball show anymore this year.
Um, no way gc is better than Banks. Banks has heroic performances and he has ones where he craps the bed. The o-line certainly has a lot to do with bank’s performance, and the lack of performance. Things like starting redshirt seniors that are supposed to be blocking and not even touching any defenders or Banks getting hit from his blindside mutiple times in a quarter are problems. But there are other things like Banks throwing into triple coverage or onehanding the football while being chased is also another problem. I think it’s a mixture of both.
Not a huge defender of the Oline especially Briggs, but a lot of the hits on Banks are self-imposed. i.e. learn to step up in the pocket under pressure (even the idiotic Facebook announcers got that right), and on an RPO read, throw the damn ball to one of the slants or backs, don't hold it for 5 seconds, the linemen are run blocking on that play for God sakes. To Win's earlier comments, I don't think Willie walks on water - I really blame him for betting this season on Banks. Even going back last year, Banks really wasn't disciplined (ECU, Houston, and the last play against SMU when he rolled the wrong way). He had flashes of brilliance but not a consistent winner. Yep, that is on Willie.
BS. The only time you posted last season was when you would go ballistic because someone had dared question the coaching.
1989alum
Low Tide

Willie is in a position he has never been in before in his career - staring at a third consecutive losing season in a row and with a higher level of scrutiny.....the rest of the season will be very telling if he has the capacity to regroup and bounce back.
Wavetrader
Low Tide

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 am
Wavetrader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm
GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:21 pm
Wavetrader wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:40 pm Banks had a big second half, getting his QB rating up to 68.75 He had a 10.41 rating at half--and Fritz stayed with him--unbelievable.
But,,, but.... according to some of our posters it's the Oline's fault and Banks is a great QB. Banks can't make the correct read on the option, he doesn't have a pocket presence, he can't pick up the the hot blitzers coming right into his face, he can't throw the ball in under 5 seconds after the snap, he can't can't hit open underneath receivers. I honestly believe we would be better with Glen Cuiellete at QB. I fault Willie for leaving us with Banks and no other options at QB until the late Mcmillan transfer. He should write off Banks and see what we've got with McM. We'll be 1 & 5 anyway. I really can't watch the Banks Hero Ball show anymore this year.
Um, no way gc is better than Banks. Banks has heroic performances and he has ones where he craps the bed. The o-line certainly has a lot to do with bank’s performance, and the lack of performance. Things like starting redshirt seniors that are supposed to be blocking and not even touching any defenders or Banks getting hit from his blindside mutiple times in a quarter are problems. But there are other things like Banks throwing into triple coverage or onehanding the football while being chased is also another problem. I think it’s a mixture of both.
Not a huge defender of the Oline especially Briggs, but a lot of the hits on Banks are self-imposed. i.e. learn to step up in the pocket under pressure (even the idiotic Facebook announcers got that right), and on an RPO read, throw the damn ball to one of the slants or backs, don't hold it for 5 seconds, the linemen are run blocking on that play for God sakes. To Win's earlier comments, I don't think Willie walks on water - I really blame him for betting this season on Banks. Even going back last year, Banks really wasn't disciplined (ECU, Houston, and the last play against SMU when he rolled the wrong way). He had flashes of brilliance but not a consistent winner. Yep, that is on Willie.
BS. The only time you posted last season was when you would go ballistic because someone had dared question the coaching.
Yeah, yeah, and you're still the number 1 (and only) fanboy of Tomato Face Jewitt after he singlehandedly wrecked our previously successful baseball team. At least I was one of several defenders of Frtiz before it became apparent we have no idea what we're doing at managing the QB position.
"There is winning and there is misery". BP
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOl. Nice failed attempt at changing the subject. I have offered up plenty of criticism of him and his former pitching coach.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Regardless, Tulane isn't that good.

Who sees a winning record against:
@Ohio State
Memphis
@Cincinnati
SMU
@Tulsa
@USF
ECU
@Houston
Navy

?

Tulane would need to win 5 of those for bowl eligibility. 5.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm Regardless, Tulane isn't that good.

@Ohio State
Memphis
@Cincinnati
SMU
@Tulsa
@USF
ECU
@Houston
Navy

?

I only see 3 games that Tulane may be competitive in...Tulsa, SMU and an outside shot at ECU because it is in nola...I am also asking why are we playing at Cincy this year
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:25 pm Regardless, Tulane isn't that good.

@Ohio State
Memphis
@Cincinnati
SMU
@Tulsa
@USF
ECU
@Houston
Navy

?

Of course with this Tulane team no game is a sure W. But we should be able to beat SMU, Tulsa and ECU. OSU and Memphis are certain losses, probably UH as well since Kendal Briles has their offense clicking. So we need two wins from Cincy, USF and Navy--a very tall order. We'll probably fall bowl short at five wins--and we'll all come back and look at what should have been against Wake and UAB.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Sunamiwave
High Tide

I still can’t understand for the life of me why Dannen gave Fritz a contract extension after last season. We had a losing season (close is not good enough), and had that terrible loss to FIU. If miraculously, Fritz ends up having a great season this year and is in demand any P5 school would be able to buy out the contract even after the extension. The extension should not have happened until Fritz gets us to a bowl game.
cajunfanatico
Swell

1989alum wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm Willie is in a position he has never been in before in his career - staring at a third consecutive losing season in a row and with a higher level of scrutiny.....the rest of the season will be very telling if he has the capacity to regroup and bounce back.
Does anyone know why he didn't stay with the option offense? I thought that was the plan from the beginning as he'd been successful with it at Ga Southern.. I'd think a well-run option offense would be far better than, well, whatever he's running today.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
netshorty
Surge

cajunfanatico wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 pm
1989alum wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm Willie is in a position he has never been in before in his career - staring at a third consecutive losing season in a row and with a higher level of scrutiny.....the rest of the season will be very telling if he has the capacity to regroup and bounce back.
Does anyone know why he didn't stay with the option offense? I thought that was the plan from the beginning as he'd been successful with it at Ga Southern.. I'd think a well-run option offense would be far better than, well, whatever he's running today.
what do you mean getting away from the option? they have 5 plays in the play book and WF has the option to use any of them whenever he wants. I think he's running his version of the pistol where each play you you shoot yourself in the foot.
galvezwave
Swell

netshorty wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 pm
what do you mean getting away from the option? they have 5 plays in the play book and WF has the option to use any of them whenever he wants. I think he's running his version of the pistol where each play you you shoot yourself in the foot.
McMillan only learned 2 and a half plays ? Lol
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

netshorty wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:32 pm
may the God's be kind, if Fritz ever deploys the "Shotgun"...."attention, for a nominal price, body armour is now available at each concession stand"
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

The option is tough to sell to recruits at almost every position and also tough to sell to fans. Hence why no one but the academies run it and the outliers like GT are constantly battling for recruits/fans and their coach is always on the hot seat.

Straight option football at TU is a real real bad idea.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:15 am
The option is tough to sell to recruits at almost every position and also tough to sell to fans. Hence why no one but the academies run it and the outliers like GT are constantly battling for recruits/fans and their coach is always on the hot seat.

Straight option football at TU is a real real bad idea.
So is losing games that we should be winning. I'm not an advocate for a full option offense, but we certainly could mix a few more option plays into our moribund offense. But I really have no idea what Fritz and Ruse are trying to run--all I know is that it isn't working.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane's solution is that it needs to go full-on spread, but the issue is that Louisiana doesn't have that many spread HS teams, so Tulane would need to focus recruiting on Texas in order to avoid having to recruit and teach Louisiana players how to play spread football.
TXWave88
Surge

Seen a few hs games in Texas recently and nearly all teams are running some shotgun spread/rpo offense. Havent seen a proset, option set, or even a QB under center in awhile. Im not a hs football advocate by any means, but thats the offenses i have seen and have seen on recruits or signees highlight videos at Tulane from TX . Hard to believe that they arent running similar in LA. Fullbacks dont exist anymore and have been replaced with tight end hbacks or slot wrs. I just dont buy that you cant run a college offense in LA bc of the offenses run at the HS level either. It is not like LSU has had any quality QBs run their system either which is not the spread.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 pm Tulane's solution is that it needs to go full-on spread, but the issue is that Louisiana doesn't have that many spread HS teams, so Tulane would need to focus recruiting on Texas in order to avoid having to recruit and teach Louisiana players how to play spread football.
There are High Schools here that do run spread offenses. More importantly no one on those 97-98 teams had played int he spread before. Louisiana has the type of athletes that can flourish in it. It's still beyond maddening that we brought that offense to college football and have never gone back to it. It was successful b/c we can get the players to succeed with it. All the other offenses we have run since haven't helped us win.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I suggest hiring Todd Dodge as the new OC...Todd is now the HC at Westlake HS, home of Drew Brees and Baker Mayfield and many other successful QB's...
https://www.statesman.com/news/local/to ... NSVWF3vlJ/

he turned down this high school gem of an opportunity
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/df ... 86319.html
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:44 pm I suggest hiring Todd Dodge as the new OC...Todd is now the HC at Westlake HS, home of Drew Brees and Baker Mayfield and many other successful QB's...
https://www.statesman.com/news/local/to ... NSVWF3vlJ/

he turned down this high school gem of an opportunity
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/df ... 86319.html
Great idea, if Dodge would be willing to be an OC. If not, perhaps we can throw Art Briles a career lifeline.