Nicholls St. Game Thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

So I put on my tinfoil hat last night and came up with a strange theory. Did signing McMilan have any effect on Banks? Some people get uncomfortable with competition. He just looked pretty bad despite having another year to learn the offense and after playing pretty well at the end of last year. You don't get that many possessions in the opponents side of the field and not come away with more points.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Following that line of thinking then the O-Line must have been petrified by competition.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:49 pm Following that line of thinking then the O-Line must have been petrified by competition.
This.

Banks isn't a great college QB, but it's difficult to justify laying the blame on him given what he was able to do on the two plays that did result in TDs.

When the smoke clears, Tulane's football team doesn't look that good. It could certainly get better as the year progresses, but that thought requires some degree of optimism considering that Fritz's teams did not improve enough to make a difference through either of his first two seasons (one could argue that the 2016 team got worse through the season).
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:55 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:49 pm Following that line of thinking then the O-Line must have been petrified by competition.
This.

Banks isn't a great college QB, but it's difficult to justify laying the blame on him given what he was able to do on the two plays that did result in TDs.

When the smoke clears, Tulane's football team doesn't look that good. It could certainly get better as the year progresses, but that thought requires some degree of optimism considering that Fritz's teams did not improve enough to make a difference through either of his first two seasons (one could argue that the 2016 team got worse through the season).
some of us saw what Archie Manning turned into playing behind the Saint's unOffensive line
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 pm
This.

some of us saw what Archie Manning turned into playing behind the Saint's unOffensive line
Oh golf they were very offensive.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:18 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:08 pm
This.

Oh golf they were very offensive.
Win...my apologies, U are correct, they were very offensive, they STANK and were RANK...there was not enuff "Right Guard' "Ban Roll On" or "Old Spice' for those group's
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:12 pm So I put on my tinfoil hat last night and came up with a strange theory. Did signing McMilan have any effect on Banks? Some people get uncomfortable with competition. He just looked pretty bad despite having another year to learn the offense and after playing pretty well at the end of last year. You don't get that many possessions in the opponents side of the field and not come away with more points.
I just think maybe Banks isn't that good.
At best he's inconsistent
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good luck being good behind that line.
Ruski
Swell

Monochromatic again. Much better in the all green.
https://twitter.com/GreenWaveFB/status/ ... 4784291841
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:59 pm Good luck being good behind that line.
He made several awful throws that had nothing to do with the line.
The 2nd throw of the game on a slant route. A 3rd down in the 1st quarter on another slant.
Another 3rd down pass IIRC to Huderson in the flat. Terrible pass that could have been picked. I’m sure there are more...
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yes b/c every throw every QB ever made was perfect. He was why we had a chance to win the game. Our HC has focused his talk all week on how the line needs to improve. That's where the real problem is.
TXWave88
Surge

Banks missed a lot of throws and looks like he missed reads in the run game. I think he will improve throughout the year. One game into the season is hard to tell. WF could end up being 8-5 again or 2-10. If they end up being a better team, then I think we will improve throughout the year and hopefully our record. Our run blocking was bad all game. This rpo offense I see is more dynamic at other schools. Just seems ours is boring and the options are just running into the same 2 holes every play (except for the short side of the field option to Encalade). Would also be nice to see a screen every now and then when the DLine is in the backfield every play and they are spying the QB. Having said that, if Banks could hit a slant last game, then I think we score 10 points in the first half instead of zilch and we win the game. Not blaming him for the loss, but he missed way too many meanwhile we gave WF slants and underneath routes all game. Easy 7-10 yard uncontested gains. On the brightside, how about that field goal? I would have lost a lot money on that kick if i was betting. I expect better execution this week and I hope to see less false starts and other penalties. Seems too much for a team that is suppose to be disciplined.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 am Yes b/c every throw every QB ever made was perfect. He was why we had a chance to win the game. Our HC has focused his talk all week on how the line needs to improve. That's where the real problem is.
3 throws of 14 in the 1st half were downright terrible. That’s not going to be good enough .
He was much better in the 2nd half
winwave
Top of the WAVE

How about the perfectly thrown ball in the first half that should have been a TD but Encalade dropped.

Again he didn't have his best night but the offensive line issues contribute mightily to that. If you don't think playing behind this line has cumulative effects on our QB's then I can't help you. We haven't had a QB be able to play a full season in a loooooooong while. It's beyond frustrating that they are still such an issue.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:13 am How about the perfectly thrown ball in the first half that should have been a TD but Encalade dropped.

Again he didn't have his best night but the offensive line issues contribute mightily to that. If you don't think playing behind this line has cumulative effects on our QB's then I can't help you. We haven't had a QB be able to play a full season in a loooooooong while. It's beyond frustrating that they are still such an issue.
It was a great pass, should have been caught, no doubt. I’m not saying he’s awful but he is inconsistent
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What I'm saying is who has been consistent behind our offensive lines. Banks is by far the most talented QB we've had recently and his athletic ability is reminiscent of TJ in that he gives our team a chance to win.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18 pm What I'm saying is who has been consistent behind our offensive lines. Banks is by far the most talented QB we've had recently and his athletic ability is reminiscent of TJ in that he gives our team a chance to win.
Again, the throws I’m talking about had nothing to do with poor protection. They were quick throws and the pocket was clean on all of them, I’m not going to blame him for not making tough throws under pressure.
None of our recent QBs(Lee, Ciuellete, Powell, Montana etc.) were any good to begin with so consistency wasn’t going to happen with those guys. The expectations are higher for Banks and they should be.
If you’re comparing him to Terrence Jones then I think you’re severely overrating him.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Again if you don't think there's a cumulative effect on our QB's who rush throws even when they don't have to I can't help you.

I didn't say he was TJ. He actually throws the ball better in that he can put touch on balls which was something TJ couldn't do. Athletically he's not as dynamic as TJ but his athletic ability allows his team a chance to win when they ordinarily would not which is where the comparison comes in.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 pm Again if you don't think there's a cumulative effect on our QB's who rush throws even when they don't have to I can't help you.
Good quarterbacks don’t make a habit of rushing throws because they expect pressure even if it’s not actually there
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ryan Griffin was and is light years better than Banks. Our o-line was constantly told by Griff at the line of scrimmage what the D was doing and what blocking scheme to use. Banks either hasn't mastered the RPO the way many others running it (including a true Frosh from Wake) have, or the coaching staff is keeping his hands tied. There were at least 3 or 4 horrible throws in the first half that had ZERO to do with the O-line.

Keep in mind the other team has coaches that are paid well, and talented players. Don't just say "oh, we lost a game we COULD have won, we stink." The Wake Forest coach is every bit as good a coach as Willie Fritz and every bit as well respected. They won 8 games last year playing a MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher schedule than we did. And their lines on both sides of the ball were better than ours that faced them.

I think we'll see improvement in the execution of the offense this week. If not, we can talk about execution of the offensive coordinator.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:43 pm Again if you don't think there's a cumulative effect on our QB's who rush throws even when they don't have to I can't help you.
Good quarterbacks don’t make a habit of rushing throws because they expect pressure even if it’s not actually there
I didn't declare him good but again there is a cumulative affect on QB's who operate behind such a poor line. It was game one and there is always some rust which is why you prefer a cupcake for week 1. I expect improvement from him this week. As to the line I expect the same. They are all in new positions this year playing next to each other for the first time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:16 pm Ryan Griffin was and is light years better than Banks. Our o-line was constantly told by Griff at the line of scrimmage what the D was doing and what blocking scheme to use. Banks either hasn't mastered the RPO the way many others running it (including a true Frosh from Wake) have, or the coaching staff is keeping his hands tied. There were at least 3 or 4 horrible throws in the first half that had ZERO to do with the O-line.

Keep in mind the other team has coaches that are paid well, and talented players. Don't just say "oh, we lost a game we COULD have won, we stink." The Wake Forest coach is every bit as good a coach as Willie Fritz and every bit as well respected. They won 8 games last year playing a MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher schedule than we did. And their lines on both sides of the ball were better than ours that faced them.

I think we'll see improvement in the execution of the offense this week. If not, we can talk about execution of the offensive coordinator.
Griffin was better and was in the system a lot longer. When we signed Banks and I said not to expect the world b/c he was going to have difficulty learning the system you berated me and said I didn't know what I was talking about.

As to the other team part of your post that is captain obvious stuff. No one has said we lost a game we could have won so we stink. What they are saying is we lost a game we could have won and we are pissed.

We agree that we should see improvement this week.