Jett Duffey denied admission

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32 pm He was first string at TT. No one knows where he would have ended up there next season. Most importantly our coaches felt he could start here. It's only the most critical position on the team. No sense in trying to minimalize that.
You're right. He would have lead Tulane like Moses, parting the sea of opponent's defenses. We probably would have been undefeated, though the Texas Tech coaches had him at 3rd or 4th string, where he was before injuries let him take over last year.

I don't argue that the kid has talent. I argue that it's a one year assignment, and that he is not the guy that was going to take us to the promised land in one season. But you must be right, you always are.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

It's not me . It's our coaches that think that. I like Howard. Duffey does have more experience , more recent playing time and at a higher level. He well could have elevated us to the 9 or 10 win plateau. But because Admissions back tracked we'll never know.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:32 pm He was first string at TT. No one knows where he would have ended up there next season. Most importantly our coaches felt he could start here. It's only the most critical position on the team. No sense in trying to minimalize that.
You're right. He would have lead Tulane like Moses, parting the sea of opponent's defenses. We probably would have been undefeated, though the Texas Tech coaches had him at 3rd or 4th string, where he was before injuries let him take over last year.

I don't argue that the kid has talent. I argue that it's a one year assignment, and that he is not the guy that was going to take us to the promised land in one season. But you must be right, you always are.
If Duffey thought he was going to be first string next year at the school that produced Patrick Mahomes, he would not be transferring.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 pm
tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am And he served his university punishment.

Liberal Tulane hypocrites punishing him again.
The two questions to consider are:
1. What if he assaults someone on Tulane's campus?
2. Is he worth the risk of the fallout to the university (and obviously the girl) of that happening?

Tulane couldn't play the card that it wasn't aware of the prior situation, and it also can't say that that prior situation was the only time that he had previously been disciplined for bad behaviour (i.e. the arrest for punching a whole through someone's door). That, plus the basketball situation plus the Baylor situation makes adding him extremely unattractive.
The alleged assault occur 3-4 years ago and he hasn’t alleged to have done anything like it since so it’s not likely he do it here . Punching out a door is dumb mischief. It’s not good but no reason for declining his admission. Our coaches wanted him so I trust their judgement. Tulane is covering its ass but I’d defer to our coaches judgement on Duffey.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bigschtick
Riptide

I agree. We needed a QB like Duffy!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:47 pm

If Duffey thought he was going to be first string next year at the school that produced Patrick Mahomes, he would not be transferring.
The Mahomes reference is useless.
What is your point with this statement
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:54 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm If Duffey thought he was going to be first string next year at the school that produced Patrick Mahomes, he would not be transferring.
The point is a very valid one. Duffey thought he was going to be buried on the depth chart once again. So he entered the transfer portal. If he thought he was the incumbent starter, entrenched until proven otherwise, he would not have transferred, particularly to a program that is run first (and will be so long as the coaching staff doesn't change.)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

And Lord knows, we have demonstrated over the last four years that one player, namely the QB, can make the difference whether we win or lose, and consequently whether we have a successful season or not.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:33 am And he served his university punishment.

2. Is he worth the risk of the fallout to the university (and obviously the girl) of that happening?

Tulane couldn't play the card that it wasn't aware of the prior situation, and it also can't say that that prior situation was the only time that he had previously been disciplined for bad behaviour (i.e. the arrest for punching a whole through someone's door). That, plus the basketball situation plus the Baylor situation makes adding him extremely unattractive.
Tulane isn't liable for the personal actions of its students. If it were, it, and every other major university, would already be tied up in endless lawsuits. What's more, if what Duffey did was so egregious as to deny admission, then Tulane ought to be expelling every student that allegations are made against. And to let the basketball player incident impact the Duffey admissions decision is absolutely ridiculous, wrong and cowardly. If any of these unrelated considerations played into the Duffey decision, I can only conclude that our Admissions bureaucrats must spend a great portion of their lives in perceived fear, hiding in their closets and sucking their thumbs.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 pm
anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm If Duffey thought he was going to be first string next year at the school that produced Patrick Mahomes, he would not be transferring.
The point is a very valid one. Duffey thought he was going to be buried on the depth chart once again. So he entered the transfer portal. If he thought he was the incumbent starter, entrenched until proven otherwise, he would not have transferred, particularly to a program that is run first (and will be so long as the coaching staff doesn't change.)
No one transfers if they were competing for a starters gig, that’s obvious. So again, what is the point?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Tulane isn't liable for the personal actions of its students. If it were, it, and every other major university, would already be tied up in endless lawsuits. What's more, if what Duffey did was so egregious as to deny admission, then Tulane ought to be expelling every student that allegations are made against. And to let the basketball player incident impact the Duffey admissions decision is absolutely ridiculous, wrong and cowardly. If any of these unrelated considerations played into the Duffey decision, I can only conclude that our Admissions bureaucrats must spend a great portion of their lives in perceived fear, hiding in their closets and sucking their thumbs.
It is a different world. Get accustomed to the new reality. It is both good and bad.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Most great coaches focus on "the players that are here" and don't dwell on "the players that are not here." For whatever reason or reasons, Jett Duffey will not be going to Tulane.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:52 pm No one transfers if they were competing for a starters gig, that’s obvious. So again, what is the point?
It's been made and repeated. What's YOUR point???
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No doubt he is transferring because he wasn't guaranteed the starters job. But to try and dismiss him as just a 3rd or 4th stringer in order to claim it's no big deal that we didn't get him is foolish. He got his chance and made the most of it. He proved himself to be a true dual threat QB which McMillan was not. His accuracy was much better. The staff saw that and wanted him badly. So there's no spin out there that changes the fact that THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Got it and agree.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Edit #29 http://m.espn.com/ncf/qbr

He moved UP in the final pro football focus to #17 ! https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-ra ... s-for-2019

Look I have no problem with Jett not being admitted based on his past. But It was ridiculous if he was cleared and then that same group reneged under pressure.

As far as the Jett wasn’t that good, that’s Bullshit. I will say this again, and it hasn’t been stated on fear the wave, Nola.com or the other forum: under two of the most well established websites he was the 17th and 29th best QB in the country last year !

I repeat for the last time as I have posted this two other times: he was the 17th and 29th best QB last year according to pro football focus and ESPN QBR ! That puts him behind Perry and Brady White and ahead of/around every of QB in the aac.

NEWSFLASH: we aren’t getting a better QB then that next year. I hope I am wrong, and I have to eat crow. The why didn’t Tech fans mind if he left, he is our Will Hall. Why did we lose several games by 3-7 points ? Hall didn’t make magic happen or “evolve”. It was hall’s fault. In reality, Duffy put up gaudy numbers and very few turn overs, but his team shit the bed against ELITE competition. He was the scape goat. His fans don’t mind him leaving because they have shiny highly touted QB’s coming in.

Once again: Pro football focus and ESPN QBR had him as the 17th and 29th best ab in college football last year
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

For fun to rub salt in the wound:
(One spot behind Newman from Wake Forest who went Big Time)

17. JETT DUFFEY, ALAN BOWMAN – TEXAS TECH

Preseason Rank: 26; Week 6 Rank: 36; Week 12 Rank: 24

The Red Raiders quarterback situation seemed murky when Bowman went out with injury after three games but with Duffey’s emergence this season, Bowman was relegated to a redshirt season as Duffey finished with an elite 90.3 passing grade. Duffey will be taking his services to Tulane in 2020 as the position is Bowman’s for the foreseeable future but that doesn’t mean that head coach Matt Wells didn’t get great success from Duffey in 2019. Duffey threw for 2,832 yards while completing 65.1% of his passes for 18 touchdowns and just five interceptions. As with any air-raid type offense, the quick game is going to be integral in the offense’s success and Duffey was one of the nation’s best in the quick game. Attempting a pass within 3.0 seconds of the snap, Duffey was the nation’s ninth-ranked quarterback by passing grade and finished with 206 completions on 303 attempts for 2,299 yards and 13 touchdowns. His 19 big-time throws on such attempts were the 10th most while his 68.0% completion percentage was among the nation’s top marks as well.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm Edit #29 http://m.espn.com/ncf/qbr

He moved UP in the final pro football focus to #17 ! https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-ra ... s-for-2019

Look I have no problem with Jett not being admitted based on his past. But It was ridiculous if he was cleared and then that same group reneged under pressure.

As far as the Jett wasn’t that good, that’s Bullshit. I will say this again, and it hasn’t been stated on fear the wave, Nola.com or the other forum: under two of the most well established websites he was the 17th and 29th best QB in the country last year !

I repeat for the last time as I have posted this two other times: he was the 17th and 29th best QB last year according to pro football focus and ESPN QBR ! That puts him behind Perry and Brady White and ahead of/around every of QB in the aac.

NEWSFLASH: we aren’t getting a better QB then that next year. I hope I am wrong, and I have to eat crow. The why didn’t Tech fans mind if he left, he is our Will Hall. Why did we lose several games by 3-7 points ? Hall didn’t make magic happen or “evolve”. It was hall’s fault. In reality, Duffy put up gaudy numbers and very few turn overs, but his team shit the bed against ELITE competition. He was the scape goat. His fans don’t mind him leaving because they have shiny highly touted QB’s coming in.

Once again: Pro football focus and ESPN QBR had him as the 17th and 29th best ab in college football last year
Preach! :fastclap: :bowdown: :fastclap:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:21 pm For fun to rub salt in the wound:
(One spot behind Newman from Wake Forest who went Big Time)

17. JETT DUFFEY, ALAN BOWMAN – TEXAS TECH

Preseason Rank: 26; Week 6 Rank: 36; Week 12 Rank: 24

The Red Raiders quarterback situation seemed murky when Bowman went out with injury after three games but with Duffey’s emergence this season, Bowman was relegated to a redshirt season as Duffey finished with an elite 90.3 passing grade. Duffey will be taking his services to Tulane in 2020 as the position is Bowman’s for the foreseeable future but that doesn’t mean that head coach Matt Wells didn’t get great success from Duffey in 2019. Duffey threw for 2,832 yards while completing 65.1% of his passes for 18 touchdowns and just five interceptions. As with any air-raid type offense, the quick game is going to be integral in the offense’s success and Duffey was one of the nation’s best in the quick game. Attempting a pass within 3.0 seconds of the snap, Duffey was the nation’s ninth-ranked quarterback by passing grade and finished with 206 completions on 303 attempts for 2,299 yards and 13 touchdowns. His 19 big-time throws on such attempts were the 10th most while his 68.0% completion percentage was among the nation’s top marks as well.
Kee Preachin!!! :fastclap: :bowdown: :fastclap: :cheers:
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

With Duffey and the inevitable parade of grad transfers at WR & OL etc, I think next year Vegas bookies would have had Reasonable odds for us as the NY6 G5 team. Personally, I think we would have had Just as good a shot as UCF, Cinci and Memphis (they will take a step back) to win the AAC next year with Duffey and Hall. We can still do it, but we need one of Howard, Pratt and the Next Grad transfer to step up.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ESPN is reporting he's going to Central Michigan.
Jaxwave
Swell

Jim McIlwain will use him properly
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He's happy. Fritz is pissed.
Fifth Quarter Tulane
Ripple

winwave wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:20 pm He's happy. Fritz is pissed.
So I guess Fritz is 100% leaving ASAP at this point
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:31 pm

It’s not a liability issue - it’s a perception and reputation issue. Most football factories could easily survive admitting a player found responsible for a sexual assault, but Tulane isn’t one of those programs, and, as a result, issues like these matter. This is compounded by Tulane’s academic side dramatically improving Tulane’s perception among high schoolers in their parents over the last few years (as evidenced by the literal cutting in half of the acceptance rate over the last few years) - Tulane cannot afford to take the risk of admitting such a student (i.e. previously found responsible and an arrest) and risk that student assaulting another student (or anyone else for that matter) as that would negatively impact the perception and reputation of the university.

On a separate note, he’s at Central Michigan at this point. If he was as great of a catch - both academically and physically - that some have made him out to be, how did he end up there? There must have been quite a few P5s and G5’s that passed other Than Tulane.

Let’s not pretend like his baggage wasn’t significant.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.