Volleyball 2019

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DrBox
Riptide

We could have used the conference tourney last year, but this year it seems we'd be better off without it. Looks like the reduced the conference schedule by 4 games to accommodate t the tourney. Probably only needed to reduce 2....I guess they wanted fewer games for other reasons.

localvb
High Tide

Looks like the AAC went to divisions with 16 conference matches instead of 20. This does give coaches the power to schedule as needed. Especially the top teams like Tulane, so they can play higher RPI teams. And If they go deep in the conference tourney they also likely play the best RPI teams in the conference. The league had 2 teams make the NCAA’s and 4 make the NIVC. Next year I predict with the addition of the conference tourney, the league gets 3 in the NCAA’s.
Tulane’s schedule has some very tough teams in the mix. If they get to 19 wins with this schedule I think that could get them a bid.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane with best poll position since joining the AAC.
This team has a real shot to win it all.
Hansel one of the top 3 players with unanimous pick.

The best player not only in the AAC but probably the best in the nation is Jordan Thompson. Had a big role on the national team this summer. Could be the best player in the world at some point. .

2019 American Athletic Conference
Volleyball Preseason Poll

Team First Place Votes Points
1. UCF 8 118
2. Cincinnati 4 114
3. Tulane 99
4. Tulsa 81
5. SMU 77
6. USF 66
7. Wichita State 65
8. Temple 44
9. ECU 39
10. Houston 34
11. UConn 32
12. Memphis 23

Preseason Player of the Year
Jordan Thompson, R-Sr., RS/OH, Cincinnati*

Preseason All-Conference Team
McKenna Melville, So., OH, UCF*
Kristina Fisher, Sr., OH, UCF
Anne-Marie Watson, Jr., RS, UCF
Jordan Thompson, R-Sr., RS/OH, Cincinnati*
Maria Mallon, So., OH, Cincinnati
Caylee Parker, So., OH, UConn
Shelby Martin, Jr., S, ECU
Hannah Flowers, Jr., RS, Memphis
Jac’cara Walker, Sr., OH, USF
Hannah Jacobs, So., OH, SMU
Montana Watts, Sr., L, SMU
Lexie Douglas, Jr., OH, Tulane
Erika Hansel, Sr., RS, Tulane*
Taylor Horsfall, Sr., DS/L, Tulsa

*denotes unanimous selection
localvb
High Tide

Tulane plays SFA in exhibition today at 1pm. SFA is the 2x conference champs and went 32-3 last year played in the ncaa’s.
Both teams will play several lineups but will be a great test.
localvb
High Tide

Solid win for Tulane on the road vs a SFA 32 win team!

Twitter says Tulane played a bunch of lineups and still won. Great sign!

Real stuff starts on the 30th

Olive and Blue on Tuesday. I will try to catch some of it to see the team and new girls play.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Wow that’s awesome. Clearly it’s an exhibition . . . But it clearly can’t be a bad sign we won ;)
localvb
High Tide

Just got time to reply about the scrimmage. Really nice to see a good crowd for the scrimmage. The team is deep and right now the defense is probably the best I’ve ever seen. Lots of weapons offensively. Overall they already look better than last year. Just looks like a tough well disciplined team with nice depth. Freshmen struggled some but show great promise.
Hard to cheer at a scrimmage:)
Look forward to seeing how they do this weekend in opening play and next Tuesday at home.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

All the best to the Players and Coaches... I have a feeling they will be very successful this season, whish I lived closer, I would attend most games
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good luck to them. Will be taking my daughter to some matches.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
localvb
High Tide

Day 1 Tulane dominates both matches. Swept Utep and UIW. The stats are eye popping. They play ULL tomorrow.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

localvb wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:51 pm Day 1 Tulane dominates both matches. Swept Utep and UIW. The stats are eye popping. They play ULL tomorrow.
Not knowing anything about volleyball, how good were the teams they beat today?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
localvb
High Tide

Tulane wins the tourney going 3-0 for the weekend. 9-0 in sets. The other 3 teams aren’t that strong but UTEP and UIW will likely be above .500 on the year. Nice to not give up a set and win with nice leads.
Dinkins was mvp. A middle who might be the best in the AAC. Hansel and Benoit also on all tourney team. By stats all the starters could have been all tourney.
1st home game vs SLU on Tuesday.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave drops home opener to winless SELA 3-2. 😩
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2019/9 ... -five.aspx
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Well that’s deflating. There goes the RPI.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 am Wave drops home opener to winless SELA 3-2. 😩
It's all in the Strawberries....super powers in scenic Hammond
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 am
tpstulane wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 am Wave drops home opener to winless SELA 3-2. 😩
You love talking about those strawberries in Hammond! Did you have someone spike your strawberries years ago?

:D :lol: :roll: :)
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
localvb
High Tide

Wasn’t able to be there but that’s a bad loss for Tulane. Tulane had match point swing to win it all and hit it out. Heard there were several bad calls and they even kicked out a fan when they missed a call on match point.
Tulane could have won in 3. At least it’s early and they can rebound. Just need there 2 studs to heal up. Both Heidelberg and Hansel aren’t healthy and it showed in their stats Tuesday.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:55 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:37 am
You love talking about those strawberries in Hammond! Did you have someone spike your strawberries years ago?

:D :lol: :roll: :)
spiked with "Nectar of the Goddesses".....
localvb
High Tide

Huge win for Tulane tonight. They swept Missouri State who is a good program. Crushed them in fact. That’s a great top 100 win to rebound with after the loss. Had no doubt they would come back strong. HBU tomorrow then a big game Sunday vs Ole Miss.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane pounds HBU 3-0. First set was 25-4. Now the big matchup vs Ole Miss Sunday at 1pm for the tourney championship. Ole Miss has a big team. Will be a tough test for Tulane.
localvb
High Tide

Ole Miss celebrated like they won the national championship. The reason. Tulane beat them in almost every stat category. Tulane had much more kills, digs, and aces. Tulane hit .232 to .190.
Total points Tulane 89 to 71.

But Tulane lost by 2 points in the 3 sets they lost. 26-24, 27-25 and 17-15.
Tulane blasted them 25-17, 25-15.

So that’s why Ole Miss celebrated on the the court with such relief. Tulane has them beat on several occasions but fell short.

Actually I come away even more impressed with Tulane. They are playing at a higher level this year than last. When they get everything together I think they could win the AAC.
Hoping football can to!
alumniwave
Low Tide

Tulane was up 24-22 in the 4th set and about to take the win with a dominating performance. Thought they had it for sure. Ole Miss looked done. I noticed them screaming at the end to. I think out of shock they pulled it out.

The Ole Miss coach said in his interview that they really didn’t deserve to win it because Tulane played so well. Tulane is impressive. Have to finish off those P5 teams.
localvb
High Tide

Tulane smacks UNO tonight to win the City title.
6-2 now and a big weekend coming with Ohio State up first on Friday.

Great to see Thompson back in her first game after coming back from a major knee injury from last season.
anEngineer
Riptide

For anyone with the ability to follow online, Tulane is currently playing Ohio St. We were trailing to whole first set and got to being down 22-19. We rallied back and eventually won 32-30 in what must have been some intense volleyball. The Wave was assessed a yellow card (whatever that means), probably for excessive celebration after a big comeback against a P5 power. They are now stomping the Buckeyes 16-9 in the second.