Newsletter: Could a new AAC Football team be on the way?

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Four 4-team pods:
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU
Navy (San Diego games would be like a home game)

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

Semi-Final playoff games are: West vs Midwest and East vs Mideast. Or you could seed the four divisions and have #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3

Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:09 pm Four 4-team pods:
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

Semi-Final playoff games are: West vs Midwest and East vs Mideast. Or you could seed the four divisions and have #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3
one BIG issue...NAVY will never accept that line up...their recruiting is done by "appointments" that is why they have 90 kids "signed" every year and Texas, because of population is one of, the largest 'appoinment" States and the players get to come home to Houston, Dallas, Tulsa and New Orleans all easy drives for their Families to make...Utah and Idaho,becasue of population, or lack thereof, mean NOTHING to Chet Gladchuick and the Naval Staff
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

Unless you're going to cut a season down to 11 games, you're not getting a semi final and final for the conference championship.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenie78
Riptide

I would be interested in adding Boise but that’s it. I don’t want the conference expanding too far West and Boise is the usual contender for the NY6 bid.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I highly recommend watching this. Mike leach goes into great detail and answers questions about why it would be relatively easy, and make perfect sense To go to 16/32/64 teams in the playoff. I was very impressed

HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:43 pm
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

Unless you're going to cut a season down to 11 games, you're not getting a semi final and final for the conference championship.
Possibly. But all this probably wouldn't be necessary since the NCAA, in their current retreat mode, may well approve a request for the extra semi-final game.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:11 pm I highly recommend watching this. Mike leach goes into great detail and answers questions about why it would be relatively easy, and make perfect sense To go to 16/32/64 teams in the playoff. I was very impressed

There are many ways that a FBS playoff could operate with 16, 32 or 64 teams. Virtually the entire bowl system could be incorporated into a 64 team playoff--and people might actually show up to watch some of these bowls, cuz they sure aren't right now.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:35 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:11 pm I highly recommend watching this. Mike leach goes into great detail and answers questions about why it would be relatively easy, and make perfect sense To go to 16/32/64 teams in the playoff. I was very impressed

There are many ways that a FBS playoff could operate with 16, 32 or 64 teams. Virtually the entire bowl system could be incorporated into a 64 team playoff--and people might actually show up to watch some of these bowls, cuz they sure aren't right now.
Yes, I am sure a whole lot of people would show up for a #64 seeded Wyoming team playing Clemson/LSU/Alabama. Especially if the top ranked teams were going to play the following week against the winner of, say a #8 Ohio State vs a top 40 team such as Boise State. There's only so many games a fan base can travel to. Sure, some can go week to week, but not the entire "XYZ Nation".

I get the idea, and know it would make the lesser bowl games relevant, but I don't think a 64 team playoff is going to happen, it would mean ending the regular season at Thanksgiving, and no conference championship games. 16 teams is about the best we can hope for. It would be awesome for all involved if every FBS championship team got in, then the 6 at large bids would go to mostly, if not entirely, to the best P5 teams that didn't win their conference championship game.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:44 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Yes, I am sure a whole lot of people would show up for a #64 seeded Wyoming team playing Clemson/LSU/Alabama. I get the idea, and know it would make the lesser bowl games relevant, but I don't think a 64 team playoff is going to happen, it would mean ending the regular season at Thanksgiving, and no conference championship games. 16 teams is about the best we can hope for. It would be awesome for all involved if every FBS championship team got in, then the 6 at large bids would go to mostly, if not entirely, to the best P5 teams that didn't win their conference championship game.
I'd take a 16-team playoff in a heart beat. But the more the merrier, and even more importantly, the more the wealthier.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

The current bowl environment doesn’t lead to sell outs either. He also states that the round of 32 pretty much perfectly matches up with the current bowl situation. So I don’t understand the problem, all the bowls become more meaningful. There is no doubt this would lead to fan interest exploding. I am also pretty sure LSU nation would sell out that round of 64 game just based on their fan base size and because the first round would be regional. Also If it was a UAB, La Tech, Tulane, USM Vs LSU opening round you don’t think that G5 fan base would treat that game like the Super Bowl with every fan showing up ? Didn’t we end up in the 60’s this year in most rankings ?

I’m not saying we should go to 64 or even 32, but his points and his plan were all astute and effectively articulated. I am a fan of anything that gives us a better shot.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 pm
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

one BIG issue...NAY will never accept that line up...their recruiting is done by "appointments" that is why they have 90 kids "signed" every year and Texas, because of population is one of, the largest 'appoinment" States and the players get to come home to Houston, Dallas, Tulsa and New Orleans all easy drives for their Families to make...Utah and Idaho,becasue of population, or lack thereof, mean NOTHING to Chet Gladchuick and the Naval Staff
I’m sure California has plenty of football athletes and “appointment” candidates.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 pm
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

one BIG issue...NAY will never accept that line up...their recruiting is done by "appointments" that is why they have 90 kids "signed" every year and Texas, because of population is one of, the largest 'appoinment" States and the players get to come home to Houston, Dallas, Tulsa and New Orleans all easy drives for their Families to make...Utah and Idaho,becasue of population, or lack thereof, mean NOTHING to Chet Gladchuick and the Naval Staff
I’m sure California has plenty of football athletes and “appointment” candidates.
the 2020 Naval roster shows 7 from California...10 from Texas...NONE from Utah or Idaho, in fact hardly any from west of the Central time zone
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:07 am
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

the 2020 Naval roster shows 7 from California...10 from Texas...NONE from Utah or Idaho, in fact hardly any from west of the Central time zone
That would likely change if Navy starts playing regularly in California, and rapidly growing Utah and Idaho (California fallout). We’d quickly see just how badly Navy wants to stay in the West. If they don’t like that arrangement, stick Air Force or CSU in the West.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 pm
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

That would likely change if Navy starts playing regularly in California, and rapidly growing Utah and Idaho (California fallout). We’d quickly see just how badly Navy wants to stay in the West. If they don’t like that arrangement, stick Air Force or CSU in the West.
not sure how many from california are relocating to Utah or Idaho, but in the last two years, Texas now has an additional 100,000 fine california insurgents living here
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

People are fleeing CA because of cost of living and, well, the State is basically on the road to bankruptcy and continues to raise taxes. My sister is moving from Marin County to Sante Fe (which is not exactly cheap!) and will be cutting her taxes in half, and her food and entertainment costs will be greatly reduced.

I have no idea if CA refugees are going to UT or WY, but the cost of living there is a fraction of what it is in most of CA (or at least the parts of CA you want to live in.)

But relocated Californians is no reason to make a decision on adding a Boise State to the AAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 pm
West:
SDSU
BYU
BSU

Midwest:
Air Force
Colo St.
Tulsa
SMU

Mideast:
Tulane
Memphis
Cincy
UH

East:
UCF
USF
ECU
Temple

not sure how many from california are relocating to Utah or Idaho, but in the last two years, Texas now has an additional 100,000 fine california insurgents living here
:cry: :cry: I hope they've learned their lesson. California--soon to be the U.S. version of Venezuela.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:15 pm People are fleeing CA because of cost of living and, well, the State is basically on the road to bankruptcy and continues to raise taxes. My sister is moving from Marin County to Sante Fe (which is not exactly cheap!) and will be cutting her taxes in half, and her food and entertainment costs will be greatly reduced.

I have no idea if CA refugees are going to UT or WY, but the cost of living there is a fraction of what it is in most of CA (or at least the parts of CA you want to live in.)

But relocated Californians is no reason to make a decision on adding a Boise State to the AAC.
The AAC will, or will not, let Boise in for other reasons. Golf and I were bantering about whether Navy would want to be in the far West division if the AAC every goes to a 16 team, four pod, structure.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

At a high level, BYU wouldn't be added to the AAC for the same reasons that it's not currently a member of the PAC12, B1G, or Big 12, so, if the AAC needed to add 3 teams in the West (and all non P5/Notre Dame programs were on the table), then Boise State, SDSU, and one of Colorado State/Air Force/UNLV would be on the table (in the alternative, it may make sense to only add Boise and SDSU and then go east for the last team - like Buffalo).

The issue is whether such an expansion would be worth it to the TV networks, since the rights holders to the MWC would essentially be losing the vast majority of the value of that conference in exchange for marginally* beefing up the AAC. The concern is that if the same rights holders hold the rights to both the MWC and the AAC, they may not want the MWC pushed into irrelevance because they've already invested in it. The remaining members of the MWC would have to either raid/merge with the MAC or Sunbelt or make due with a 9 member conference, and both of those options would be extremely unattractive to both the MWC and the rights holders.

*One has to assume that Boise State and SDSU would take more losses in the AAC, and that teams in the AAC may also take more losses due to those teams being on its schedule. This would ultimately result in fewer top 25 AAC teams, but a stronger showing in the middle of the conference.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Does adding Boise, BYU and SDSU make us P6 ? Wtf even is P6 ? The Big East was for The first year we were there. If we continually have ranking higher via algorithms than The Acc and the PAC 12 does that makes us P6 ? Where are the goalposts ? Is it ratings ? What ratings do we need ? Do we just need an expanded playoff with access ? Do we need to finish in the top 4 of the playoff to make us P6?
anEngineer
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 pm Does adding Boise, BYU and SDSU make us P6 ? Wtf even is P6 ? The Big East was for The first year we were there. If we continually have ranking higher via algorithms than The Acc and the PAC 12 does that makes us P6 ? Where are the goalposts ? Is it ratings ? What ratings do we need ? Do we just need an expanded playoff with access ? Do we need to finish in the top 4 of the playoff to make us P6?
We are P6 when we are making the big money that the P5s get for TV.
ajcalhoun
Swell

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:32 pm
We are P6 when we are making the big money that the P5s get for TV.
[/quote]

Yep. In the end. But since the beginning every P5 has had a core of flagship state universities. "Winnebagos on Wednesday" was a thing way before the P5/G5 designation.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

We were never in the Big East. We haven't been in a "P" conference since the division became clear.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:36 pm Does adding Boise, BYU and SDSU make us P6 ? Wtf even is P6 ? The Big East was for The first year we were there. If we continually have ranking higher via algorithms than The Acc and the PAC 12 does that makes us P6 ? Where are the goalposts ? Is it ratings ? What ratings do we need ? Do we just need an expanded playoff with access ? Do we need to finish in the top 4 of the playoff to make us P6?
The AAC will become a Power conference when the existing P5s decide to give the AAC access by guaranteeing it the Orange Bowl slot versus the ACC that’s currently shared between SEC/ND/B1G or the P5 decide to elevate other bowls in order to create a New Years Eight and guarantee the AAC access to one of the two new bowls versus a existing Power conference.

While contract money is important, it has nothing to do with the official Power designation, and, because the AAC doesn’t have any high profile programs, it will probably never get a contract that’s competitive in terms of payout with the existing Power conferences. Unofficially, the AAC’s lower revenue will likely ensure that it never becomes a Power conference since Power programs can always come and raid the best coaches.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:44 am
The AAC will become a Power conference when the existing P5s decide to give the AAC access by guaranteeing it the Orange Bowl slot versus the ACC that’s currently shared between SEC/ND/B1G or the P5 decide to elevate other bowls in order to create a New Years Eight and guarantee the AAC access to one of the two new bowls versus a existing Power conference.

While contract money is important, it has nothing to do with the official Power designation, and, because the AAC doesn’t have any high profile programs, it will probably never get a contract that’s competitive in terms of payout with the existing Power conferences. Unofficially, the AAC’s lower revenue will likely ensure that it never becomes a Power conference since Power programs can always come and raid the best coaches.
.Money and the facilities they build are the big issue...there are several "PEE Coaches" who are no better than those at Tulane UAB, UCF, La Tech, App State, Boise.....at one time the PEE's could tell a kid, " come here, U will be on TV'...now everybody is on TV...hell show me somebody who ain't on TV.....it's the facilites they use, when they are not on TV, that is the big difference.....
nawlinspete
Riptide

You nailed it , Engineer .

Until we have equal funding we'll never be an equal . And even with equal funding UNLESS OUR ADMINISTRATION GOES FULL STEAM AHEAD to equal the BIG and the SEC we would not be .

Several years of having our games on TV has not moved the moved the needle , nor has back to back bowls or improved coaching , improved recruiting or marginally better W/ L records .

We must have the money to be spent , and it must be spent wisely .

The first investment must be a replacement for the basketball gym . It screams bush league . Build it on the now closed Mc Allister Drive footprint . This undertaking could , and should , actually be undertaken now .

Oh Rufus , Oh Herbert Eugene , if you only knew how shortsighted you were ....

Mr Dannen , what are your strategies to recapture local fan enthusiasm and support ? What are your two, five and ten year objectives ? WE CANNOT HEAR YOU .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .