E313 - Requiem for a Sad Husky Feat. The UConn Blog

The leading blog for Tulane fans. Coverage on FTW & Twitter for Green Wave Football, Hoops, Baseball and more.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

The [REDACTED] Huskies are in a tough spot at 1-4 and searching for their first FBS win this year. They’ll face a hungry Tulane Green Wave football team whose record is 4-1 and so close to breaking the Top 25.

Our friends from the UConn Blog join the podcast to discuss where the program is heading as they exit the AAC, what they’ll look to do against 35-point favorite Tulane, and more.

We also first take a look at the Green Wave with our Wave of Stats and Mailbag Questions.

If you enjoy the show, please share it with other folks. ROLL WAVE!

Blog: blog/fear-the-wave-e313-requiem-for-a-s ... conn-blog/

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/3 ... 0452841318

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
fearthewaveblog
Ripple

Make sure to listen to the interview above or on the podcast player of your choice. Some things I took from the discussion:

1. UConn is bad and unfortunately for them, it doesn't seem like things are trending in any positive direction
2. Randy Edsall has struggled to create an identity on either side of the ball, especially due to turnovers at the coordinator jobs
3. The move from the AAC is probably not going to bode any better for football, and it's unclear how the program will take off from here as an independent
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

As always good stuff, and thank You. However, his guest’s rationalization of UConn leaving was a little hard to handle. I disagree with several things he said. I like when he mentions how much easier travel is when he mentions providence nyc. . . What about all those regional historic (/s) rivals they are Playing and traveling to in the Midwest ? He states they will make less now Under the new deal then they did the last few years (because of settlements from the old big east). . . Short term settlement payouts have nothing to do with the new contract and is indicative of nothing besides your massive waste and inability to Balance a budget. I also don’t believe his characterization of the deals is accurate.

UConn loves to point fingers at others and shift the blame. We’re not the problem Or reason you suck at basketball and football (they love to blame basketball on us erroneously). We’ll see you on the gridiron and watch As the AAC basketball keeps Gaining on the bastard new big east.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What many UConn fans don't understand is how different the current Big East they're going to is from the one they left. Traditional rivals BC, Syracuse, Rutgers and Louisville are gone. They know this, yet still wax poetic about the Big East. And their football team is screwed. It's really a stupid move without having a plan in place for the football team.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm What many UConn fans don't understand is how different the current Big East they're going to is from the one they left. Traditional rivals BC, Syracuse, Rutgers and Louisville are gone. They know this, yet still wax poetic about the Big East. And their football team is screwed. It's really a stupid move without having a plan in place for the football team.
I agree. I’ll also say that the big east better hope Nova keeps up this amazing run and jay wright stays forever.
fearthewaveblog
Ripple

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:06 pm As always good stuff, and thank You. However, his guest’s rationalization of UConn leaving was a little hard to handle. I disagree with several things he said. I like when he mentions how much easier travel is when he mentions providence nyc. . . What about all those regional historic (/s) rivals they are Playing and traveling to in the Midwest ? He states they will make less now Under the new deal then they did the last few years (because of settlements from the old big east). . . Short term settlement payouts have nothing to do with the new contract and is indicative of nothing besides your massive waste and inability to Balance a budget. I also don’t believe his characterization of the deals is accurate.

UConn loves to point fingers at others and shift the blame. We’re not the problem Or reason you suck at basketball and football (they love to blame basketball on us erroneously). We’ll see you on the gridiron and watch As the AAC basketball keeps Gaining on the bastard new big east.
I think there's a fundamental reality here that this move, on every level, creates problems for football. They only have like 4 games booked for next year, and long-term it tends to be really hard for this type of independent to build their slate.

Maybe the money thing, optimistically, works to a similar level as the AAC but there are probably a lot of downstream negatives (i.e. not being on national TV as much, not having access to bowl games, not being able to play in the NY6 if you turn it around and have an incredible season). So that's probably tough to handle even if the move for basketball will likely be good for them.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

fearthewaveblog wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:43 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:06 pm As always good stuff, and thank You. However, his guest’s rationalization of UConn leaving was a little hard to handle. I disagree with several things he said. I like when he mentions how much easier travel is when he mentions providence nyc. . . What about all those regional historic (/s) rivals they are Playing and traveling to in the Midwest ? He states they will make less now Under the new deal then they did the last few years (because of settlements from the old big east). . . Short term settlement payouts have nothing to do with the new contract and is indicative of nothing besides your massive waste and inability to Balance a budget. I also don’t believe his characterization of the deals is accurate.

I think there's a fundamental reality here that this move, on every level, creates problems for football. They only have like 4 games booked for next year, and long-term it tends to be really hard for this type of independent to build their slate.

Maybe the money thing, optimistically, works to a similar level as the AAC but there are probably a lot of downstream negatives (i.e. not being on national TV as much, not having access to bowl games, not being able to play in the NY6 if you turn it around and have an incredible season). So that's probably tough to handle even if the move for basketball will likely be good for them.
Agree. I thought you might get a chuckle about the thought of UConn returning to those historic regional rivalries of UConn and Creighton. . . Not to mention all those other legendary (And easy travel) Midwest Big East foes. Syracuse, Pitt, BC & the crew aren’t coming back. Into the New Big East& AAC- Uconn recruiting was great, your coaching, admins and execution sucked. I also love that we were such a bad basketball conference . . . That they couldn’t win ?

FTW, keep up the excellent work brotha.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Also it might be fun to have a Video blog or debrief from big weekends Tulane game day weekends. The Army weekend was amazing, with kids bringing 30’s of coors light & white claws As they waited for the bus at 6am.
Ruski
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:16 pm What many UConn fans don't understand is how different the current Big East they're going to is from the one they left. Traditional rivals BC, Syracuse, Rutgers and Louisville are gone. They know this, yet still wax poetic about the Big East. And their football team is screwed. It's really a stupid move without having a plan in place for the football team.
The plan is pretty obvious....FCS
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 am
maybe SC will start the "Lobster League"...UConn..UMass..Rhode Island, Hew Hampshire, Maine..Delaware all charter members
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Eaglewave
Swell

To be honest, I think UConn will be better off as an Independent in football anyway.
Ball Sumrall!
greenie78
Riptide

Eaglewave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 am To be honest, I think UConn will be better off as an Independent in football anyway.
How come?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm
Agree. I thought you might get a chuckle about the thought of UConn returning to those historic regional rivalries of UConn and Creighton. . . Not to mention all those other legendary (And easy travel) Midwest Big East foes. Syracuse, Pitt, BC & the crew aren’t coming back. Into the New Big East& AAC- Uconn recruiting was great, your coaching, admins and execution sucked. I also love that we were such a bad basketball conference . . . That they couldn’t win ?

Doesn't seem to have hurt their women's BB team, has it?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm

The womens team ran rough shod alll over the Big East teams...They have had more compettive games in the AAC then they did in the Big East...Vivian Stringer's Rutgers teams played them tuff,
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:21 am
The womens team ran rough shod alll over the Big East teams...They have had more compettive games in the AAC then they did in the Big East...Vivian Stringer's Rutgers teams played them tuff,
I think you could make an argument that the AAC DID hurt the UConn women's teams. Yes, we gave them a tough game one time. But for the most part they cruised to 35+ point victories. And the Big East that they left had a number of teams that played them tough, sometimes beating them. Look it up. Rutgers and Notre Dame used the UConn game as a recruiting tool and got good enough to be competitive and sometimes beat the lady Huskies.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 am
I think you could make an argument that the AAC DID hurt the UConn women's teams. Yes, we gave them a tough game one time. But for the most part they cruised to 35+ point victories. And the Big East that they left had a number of teams that played them tough, sometimes beating them. Look it up. Rutgers and Notre Dame used the UConn game as a recruiting tool and got good enough to be competitive and sometimes beat the lady Huskies.
vs Rutgers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutgers%E ... ll_rivalry
vs ND
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dam ... ll_rivalry
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:37 am
Ruski wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 am
maybe SC will start the "Lobster League"...UConn..UMass..Rhode Island, Hew Hampshire, Maine..Delaware all charter members
Cowen is going to attach those schools to UConn’s hip—he dreams of being a collegiate athletic orthopedic surgeon. UConn football has no chance of success as an independent. Even BYU has struggled and regressed as an independent.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am
vs Rutgers
vs ND
Golfnut, I never claimed those schools had a winning record vs. Geno and the Lady Huskies. I said they were competitive, and they were a whole lot more so than any team they saw in the AAC. ND and Rutgers both had wins against them, something no school did (though Tulane came close one magical night) in the AAC. For the most part it was one 40 point victory after another.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:50 am
golfnut69 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am
vs Rutgers
vs ND
Golfnut, I never claimed those schools had a winning record vs. Geno and the Lady Huskies. I said they were competitive, and they were a whole lot more so than any team they saw in the AAC. ND and Rutgers both had wins against them, something no school did (though Tulane came close one magical night) in the AAC. For the most part it was one 40 point victory after another.
D..you said to look it up...I did...I don't disagree that both Rutgers and ND has beaten UConn, but in todays Big east, it will be like the AAC all over again.....in regards to uconn football, it will most probably drop to fcs or be eliminated...being an independent, unless you are ND, BYU Army, Navy or Air Force is a slow drip death...
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Someone should send cowen the pitch for the lobster league, within the week he’ll be a special advisor to UConn.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm Someone should send cowen the pitch for the lobster league, within the week he’ll be a special advisor to UConn.
He would then label and promote himself as a genius at working solutions for the lesser known football programs. He'd write a book about it, and try to get on the cover of Time magazine.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:23 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm Someone should send cowen the pitch for the lobster league, within the week he’ll be a special advisor to UConn.
He would then label and promote himself as a genius at working solutions for the lesser known football programs. He'd write a book about it, and try to get on the cover of Time magazine.
And of course take full credit for sourcing the idea.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:20 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:23 pm
And of course take full credit for sourcing the idea.
:lol: