Livin' Large in Big D

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:02 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:56 am Say what you will about SMU's chances for an expansion spot in a P5 conference. But I'll say this: they're doing what needs to be done to get on the short list, and Tulane is not. Location and academics aren't getting Tulane into a "P" conference. And New Orleans is over-estimated by Tulane fans as an attraction for a P5 conference. Conference championships can be played in the Superdome without a member team being here. I don't see the commitment, and am giving up hope that we'll be included if/when they go to 4 super conferences, or if the Big 12 expands to 12 or 14 teams.
Nobody believes Tulane is doing what needs to be done. If we were doing them our ;location would matter as will be evidenced by the throngs of OU fans coming here and there would be many more coming if the game was in the Dome.
OU fans are traveling in throngs because they know it's a small stadium and they'll get a ticket relatively easily. The fact that it's in New Orleans is a bonus, but just as many would go to Boise or Fargo if they knew they'd get a ticket in a small, intimate stadium where the home team doesn't draw well. Calling it "evidence" is overstating the facts, which, as my original post states Tulane fans tend to do about the value of New Orleans to a conference.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:02 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:56 am Say what you will about SMU's chances for an expansion spot in a P5 conference. But I'll say this: they're doing what needs to be done to get on the short list, and Tulane is not. Location and academics aren't getting Tulane into a "P" conference. And New Orleans is over-estimated by Tulane fans as an attraction for a P5 conference. Conference championships can be played in the Superdome without a member team being here. I don't see the commitment, and am giving up hope that we'll be included if/when they go to 4 super conferences, or if the Big 12 expands to 12 or 14 teams.
Nobody believes Tulane is doing what needs to be done. If we were doing them our ;location would matter as will be evidenced by the throngs of OU fans coming here and there would be many more coming if the game was in the Dome.
OU fans will be traveling in throngs because their team is a legitimate national championship contender. Also, they know it's a small stadium and they'll get a ticket relatively easily. Most that travel will have better seats than they get in Norman, if they can get a seat in Norman. The fact that it's in New Orleans is a bonus, but just as many would go to Boise or Fargo if they knew they'd get a ticket in a small, intimate stadium where the home team doesn't draw well. Calling it "evidence" is overstating the facts, which, as my original post states Tulane fans tend to do about the value of New Orleans to a conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

OU fans are traveling in throngs because they want to come to New Orleans. They are buying season tickets in large numbers, remember that when TD brags about season tickets sales being high this year.. It's not an easy ticket because it's in such a small stadium. If it was in the Dome they would have a lot more coming. It's one of the top destination cities in the world. So no it's not overplayed. Tulane just needs to get it together on the fields and courts and do their part.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:59 pm Then why weren’t those aac schools already added ? I’m not buying it. Not enough value to cut into everyone’s huge paydays. If they needed the metros it would have happened already. Smu’s attendance is larger then ours but not by much.
SMU has always had attendance problems. Even during the Pony Express days, hardly half the stadium was full. Their endowment is similar to Tulane's, but they do have a much larger and wealthier TV market. They also have a concentrated and wealthy alum base--who are already writing checks. I expect SMU will resurrect something similar to the Pony Express glory days, and in doing so, they will be quite capable of beating any team.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:32 am OU fans are traveling in throngs because they want to come to New Orleans. They are buying season tickets in large numbers, remember that when TD brags about season tickets sales being high this year.. It's not an easy ticket because it's in such a small stadium. If it was in the Dome they would have a lot more coming. It's one of the top destination cities in the world. So no it's not overplayed. Tulane just needs to get it together on the fields and courts and do their part.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
How many of them would go to Fargo or Boise if they could get a ticket as good as they'll get in New Orleans? You're overplaying it, but I'll laugh rather than argue. You've never changed your mind, I'm not going to jeopardize that streak.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

The rich Texas boosters will love the NIL, every SMU player on first two teams will get a deal , plus their girl friends and any buddy on the team they select. Tulane has nowhere near that kind of support- most of our rich slums/ parents live in the northeast and could not care less. An interesting thought to debate- would Vandy get a slot in the SEC today? I think the answer is resounding no. Small private school, even with share of SEC money, it isn’t competitive except in baseball. That said, why would any power 5 conference want TU?
AugWave
Swell

Oh Brother wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:33 pm The rich Texas boosters will love the NIL, every SMU player on first two teams will get a deal , plus their girl friends and any buddy on the team they select. Tulane has nowhere near that kind of support- most of our rich slums/ parents live in the northeast and could not care less. An interesting thought to debate- would Vandy get a slot in the SEC today? I think the answer is resounding no. Small private school, even with share of SEC money, it isn’t competitive except in baseball. That said, why would any power 5 conference want TU?
Vandy is in a tough situation. They get the Tulane treatment but have it even harder with recruiting because they're in Tennessee. They don't produce the type of athlete that Louisiana, Texas, Georgia or Florida does. The SEC brand is what helps them get good to great recruits, when they come along. If Tulane were in the SEC, we'd do a little better than Vandy has. I'm speaking PRESENT DAY Tulane, not historic Tulane lol.

We definitely saw an improvement in recruiting jumping to the Big East/AAC, but if Tulane were to get lucky and get that Big12 call, it would be a huge boost. I've heard recruits say that if Tulane were in a P5, they would've played there. Tulane isn't a laughingstock anymore, at least not here in Atlanta. They're aware of how much better we are now than in the past. Not great, but we're an average program now. Auburn fans still chat it up about how impressed they were with the team and coaching.

They just have to keep building. Oh, build a damn indoor football practice facility next to Aron and build a new basketball arena/parking garage on the parking lot in front of the baseball stadium. C'mon Jerry Springer! Donate some dough.

Peace Greenies!
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:19 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:32 am OU fans are traveling in throngs because they want to come to New Orleans. They are buying season tickets in large numbers, remember that when TD brags about season tickets sales being high this year.. It's not an easy ticket because it's in such a small stadium. If it was in the Dome they would have a lot more coming. It's one of the top destination cities in the world. So no it's not overplayed. Tulane just needs to get it together on the fields and courts and do their part.
How many of them would go to Fargo or Boise if they could get a ticket as good as they'll get in New Orleans? You're overplaying it, but I'll laugh rather than argue. You've never changed your mind, I'm not going to jeopardize that streak.
LOL. Not the nearly the same as here. Same with Ole Miss, Miss. St. , Texas and the like that always bring 20-25k. here. You're mantra has always been the same on this and will never change. Post it as often as you like but you'll still be wrong.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Oh Brother wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 pm Lots of good points here. Ole Miss wouldn’t want Memphis in SEC and league doesn’t gain anything by adding them. Dallas is the fast growing city in the country and one of the most wealthy. SMU would be a fit for any P-5. One would think LSU would support it as it would help, not hurt, their Texas recruiting. SMU is a private school with huge endowment but will never compete with LSU, Alabama, Georgia . Those all have enormous stadiums and facilities , history of success and legions of rabid fans.
SMU endowment 1.65 billion, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther ... University; Tulane endowment, 1.45 billion. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_University
HoustonWave
Tsunami

No doubt more OU fans would be coming in Sept, if the game was in the Superdome. At Yulman, I would guess around 15,000 OU fans. If in the dome it would be at least 35,000 OU fans. But to move the game into the Dome would have required Dannen doing some work—not an option during fishing season.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:06 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:59 pm Then why weren’t those aac schools already added ? I’m not buying it. Not enough value to cut into everyone’s huge paydays. If they needed the metros it would have happened already. Smu’s attendance is larger then ours but not by much.
SMU has always had attendance problems. Even during the Pony Express days, hardly half the stadium was full. Their endowment is similar to Tulane's, but they do have a much larger and wealthier TV market. They also have a concentrated and wealthy alum base--who are already writing checks. I expect SMU will resurrect something similar to the Pony Express glory days, and in doing so, they will be quite capable of beating any team.
I don’t disagree. But this doesn’t negate the facts of why weren’t they already added ? The aac has a fun group of misfits who all (most) have merit of being in a P5. In many cases more so than some of the teams in this BS cartel. Let’s keep Winning. Let’s get into an expanded playoff an make more noise than the pac and most of the acc. Dilute the recruiting advantage, leading to more winning, and more success in the playoff. Earn our way into big $$$. I maintain a few weeks in the Top 25 Tulane will reinvigorate and bring more fundraising $$$ in. Simultaneously it’s a big deal for locals and recruits. These recruits have never seen Tulane be in the top 25. MANY MANY doors open (recruiting, fundraising, scheduling (LSU)) open once we spend a few weeks in the top 25. We will have turned the corner.

I don’t think it happens this year. But if we hang onto Pratt and our staff it needs to happen on 2022.

Edit; before anyone thinks I’m implying spending some time in the top 25 means we get LSU. . . It clearly doesn’t. BUT if we start spending time in the top 25 - pressure (slowly) builds and our leverage increases. What do they have to hide from ?! UCF is scheduling now with UF a 2 for 1.
Oh Brother
Low Tide

It would be terrific to be in a p-5 conference, but realistically, what do we offer? Not sure perceived academic excellence is a prerequisite for admission to any P-5 conference I can think of. Closest would be ACC with UVA, UNC, Duke, Ga. Tech , oh, almost left out FSU, that bastion of integrity.. it would be terrific to be part of ACC, but we have a small fan base, a long history of poor performance in football and basketball,, a grossly undersized football stadium and an embarrassingly outmoded basketball facility- we do have a fine baseball stadium. And a largely disinterested student body, administration and board.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:19 pm
LOL. Not the nearly the same as here. Same with Ole Miss, Miss. St. , Texas and the like that always bring 20-25k. here. You're mantra has always been the same on this and will never change. Post it as often as you like but you'll still be wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Oh Brother wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:17 am It would be terrific to be in a p-5 conference, but realistically, what do we offer? Not sure perceived academic excellence is a prerequisite for admission to any P-5 conference I can think of. Closest would be ACC with UVA, UNC, Duke, Ga. Tech , oh, almost left out FSU, that bastion of integrity.. it would be terrific to be part of ACC, but we have a small fan base, a long history of poor performance in football and basketball,, a grossly undersized football stadium and an embarrassingly outmoded basketball facility- we do have a fine baseball stadium. And a largely disinterested student body, administration and board.
Absolutely spot on accurate. I would include Wake Forest in the academic excellents of the ACC. I'm forgetting at least one other, and know it's not Clemson!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:05 am
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:06 am
I don’t disagree. But this doesn’t negate the facts of why weren’t they already added ? The aac has a fun group of misfits who all (most) have merit of being in a P5. In many cases more so than some of the teams in this BS cartel. Let’s keep Winning. Let’s get into an expanded playoff an make more noise than the pac and most of the acc. Dilute the recruiting advantage, leading to more winning, and more success in the playoff. Earn our way into big $$$. I maintain a few weeks in the Top 25 Tulane will reinvigorate and bring more fundraising $$$ in. Simultaneously it’s a big deal for locals and recruits. These recruits have never seen Tulane be in the top 25. MANY MANY doors open (recruiting, fundraising, scheduling (LSU)) open once we spend a few weeks in the top 25. We will have turned the corner.

I don’t think it happens this year. But if we hang onto Pratt and our staff it needs to happen on 2022.

Edit; before anyone thinks I’m implying spending some time in the top 25 means we get LSU. . . It clearly doesn’t. BUT if we start spending time in the top 25 - pressure (slowly) builds and our leverage increases. What do they have to hide from ?! UCF is scheduling now with UF a 2 for 1.
Damn Bicoastal, you got me fired up with that post--there are blue skies above Cowen's 18 years of dark clouds. I think you're absolutely right about the AAC passing the PAC and ACC. And as far as SMU, they've been in the alley with the rest of us for the last several years because they've been a terrible team until the last three years. With the new pay-to-play world, SMU will emerge quickly. That said, I'm not sure what P5 conference would take them--I don't see the SEC taking them, and TCU will do everything it can to keep them out of the Big 12. SMU will probably mirror our fate, they'll have to wait for the whole system to collapse, and then see who they can realign with afterwards. The greed of the top P5 football factories will eventually orphan many of the P5 bottom feeders--which in turn will probably trigger broad realignment. Tulane just needs to keep pace with SMU, because you can be sure SMU will be spending the money.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:44 pm Damn Bicoastal, you got me fired up with that post--there are blue skies above Cowen's 18 years of dark clouds. I think you're absolutely right about the AAC passing the PAC and ACC. And as far as SMU, they've been in the alley with the rest of us for the last several years because they've been a terrible team until the last three years. With the new pay-to-play world, SMU will emerge quickly. That said, I'm not sure what P5 conference would take them--I don't see the SEC taking them, and TCU will do everything it can to keep them out of the Big 12. SMU will probably mirror our fate, they'll have to wait for the whole system to collapse, and then see who they can realign with afterwards. The greed of the top P5 football factories will eventually orphan many of the P5 bottom feeders--which in turn will probably trigger broad realignment. Tulane just needs to keep pace with SMU, because you can be sure SMU will be spending the money.
I agree 1000%. But I don't see us keeping up with SMU because there isn't institutional commitment to do so. Too little, too late, Tulane. That's caught up with us fast. I've believed for a long time our best hope is that the AAC becomes a "P". It didn't happen with the last TV contract but the more we have multiple teams in the polls, particularly the final polls, the better our conference's argument.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We won't keep up with SMU because they have a larger number of very wealthy alums and more importantly a good number of whom support athletics.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:59 pm We won't keep up with SMU because they have a larger number of very wealthy alums and more importantly a good number of whom support athletics.
The same group that has enabled SMU's endowment to pass Tulane's--ever since the introduction of the "Tulane Model". The "Tulane Model", a model for failure.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 pm
winwave wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:59 pm We won't keep up with SMU because they have a larger number of very wealthy alums and more importantly a good number of whom support athletics.
The same group that has enabled SMU's endowment to pass Tulane's--ever since the introduction of the "Tulane Model". The "Tulane Model", a model for failure.
If memory serves,"The Tulane Model" was also called "YUGO" for production purposes
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

The wealthy alums live in metro Dallas and are very involved...the latest info on their Football stadium...capacity at 32,000, by enclosing the south end zone, the capacity wouild be 45,000... I was told they have room to add an upper deck to the east (visitors) sideline to make it 60,000 total seats

https://smumustangs.com/facilities/gera ... -stadium/2
Last edited by golfnut69 on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

We have a much more competent coaching staff, AD (at least for football development), Board & President than we have had since I started following Tulane Football in 1979.
We're going to surprise a lot of people & manage the upward transition of the program much more effectively than years past.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:36 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:08 pm
If memory serves,"The Tulane Model" was also called "YUGO" for production purposes
The Tulane Model has sure performed like a Yugo.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:12 pm
Oh Brother wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:10 pm Lots of good points here. Ole Miss wouldn’t want Memphis in SEC and league doesn’t gain anything by adding them. Dallas is the fast growing city in the country and one of the most wealthy. SMU would be a fit for any P-5. One would think LSU would support it as it would help, not hurt, their Texas recruiting. SMU is a private school with huge endowment but will never compete with LSU, Alabama, Georgia . Those all have enormous stadiums and facilities , history of success and legions of rabid fans.
SMU endowment 1.65 billion, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souther ... University; Tulane endowment, 1.45 billion. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_University
I thought Tulane's endowment was just north of $1B before Fitt's started his "Only The Audacious" endowment fundraiser, which I thought was nearing another $1B. That said, I do know that there has been a lot of funny accounting in how much "Only The Audacious" has actually raised. If we are really at just $1.45B, then "Only The Audacious" has been "Only A Failure". We know Dannen has contributed little to the effort.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I think that campaign was set to go 10 years to raise the money.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:32 am I think that campaign was set to go 10 years to raise the money.
Ten years to raise $1B of new endowment principal? One positive is that Tulane's endowment investment performance has been quite good the last few years. If we can raise a new $1B, we ought to be around $3B when the ten years are up.