Athlon AAC Football All Conference Team

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Wave755
Tsunami

Wave second only to Cincy for number of players on list!👍🏻😎
https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... rence-team

And, all the sweeter since I still remember the days of “Buffet Bob” Toledo when we were in “tug-o-war” neck to neck competition for recruits with the likes of McNeese State, Nicholls State & Delta State. :D

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

IF healthy and back to form he flashed in the first few games last year, Spears will be the best RB in the league. That's a big IF because I have no idea how his rehab is going, or if he's lost anything to the injury. But he is an absolute stud.

If one of the true Frosh or a transfer can step in and become a stud WR, this team could feature an attack that is as good as any in the conference. Even if Spears isn't back 100%, there's a lot of weapons, and a maturing QB to take advantage of them. Cam Carroll could benefit from less pounding if he were to share or give the short yardage job to Dorceous, the big DL transfer from Memphis.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
gbgreenie
Surge

DfromCT wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:42 am IF healthy and back to form he flashed in the first few games last year, Spears will be the best RB in the league. That's a big IF because I have no idea how his rehab is going, or if he's lost anything to the injury. But he is an absolute stud.

If one of the true Frosh or a transfer can step in and become a stud WR, this team could feature an attack that is as good as any in the conference. Even if Spears isn't back 100%, there's a lot of weapons, and a maturing QB to take advantage of them. Cam Carroll could benefit from less pounding if he were to share or give the short yardage job to Dorceous, the big DL transfer from Memphis.
Forget about Pratt, Kai Horton is too good to sit the bench and by mid season will be the starter!!!
Kai Horton
Athletic Background
30-0 career record as a starting QB with two Texas 4A state championships (one D-I, one D-II). Two-sport athlete in football and basketball. District Newcomer of the Year in basketball as a freshman in 2017-18 season.
2020: Led Carthage to a 14-0 record and Texas 4A D-II state championship as a senior.
2019: As a junior, led Carthage to a 16-0 record and Texas 4A D-I state championship in first season as a starter.

Rivals
KAI
HORTON

SIGNED LOI
12/18/2020
TULANE
6'4" | 215 LBS | PRO QB | 2021
CARTHAGE
CARTHAGE, TX
Horton recently completed his first season as Carthage’s starting quarterback. The two-sport standout finished 16-0 and closed the year out with a Class 4A D-1 state championship. Horton completed better than 60 percent of his passes for 3,741 yards, 49 touchdowns compared to six interceptions.

The East Texas standout possesses an impressive frame (6-foot-4, 215 pounds) and on tape impresses with his ability to stand tall in the pocket, throw downhill and outside the numbers, has good accuracy and tends to place the ball where only his receivers can make plays. Horton also throws well on the run and has good arm strength and his calm demeanor is noticeable.
Last edited by gbgreenie on Sat May 22, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

Michael Pratt is 3rd team but look who he is behind, Desmond Ridder, Cincy and Dillon Gabriel, UCF?🤷🏻‍♂️
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Yeah exactly, Desmond Ritter and Gabriel will both be drafted so it’s high praise to have Pratt in there. If Kai Horton somehow were to beat him out (long shot) then we probably are in the top 25 to end the year. Or it means Pratt got hurt and Kai was better than Ibieta.

Almost half of the third team all conference offense is Tulane! Man I wish we had the 2022 schedule this year. We want to make noise on the fundraising and facility side of things while engaging National alumni- Tulane needs to be in the top 25 for multiple weeks in a row.
gbgreenie
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:34 am Yeah exactly, Desmond Ritter and Gabriel will both be drafted so it’s high praise to have Pratt in there. If Kai Horton somehow were to beat him out (long shot) then we probably are in the top 25 to end the year. Or it means Pratt got hurt and Kai was better than Ibieta.

Almost half of the third team all conference offense is Tulane! Man I wish we had the 2022 schedule this year. We want to make noise on the fundraising and facility side of things while engaging National alumni- Tulane needs to be in the top 25 for multiple weeks in a row.
Kai Horton has not lost a game as starting Quarterback that is rare, especially that he was a basketball star before switching to football his Junior Season. Imagine he starts and does not lose a game this year with the Wave, Heisman buzz would be coming, lol He is a Winner what we need at Tulane.

What makes Horton a Winner, check out the film he lets loose with the ball before a receiver breaks and its on target. He places the ball where only the receiver can get to it. Sure signs of a Winning Quarterback. Long will have a field day planning the offense around Kai!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Question for the Forum- After taking a look at Athlon AAC all conference team and what we know about our team what are our biggest question marks and deficiencies ?

DL - Seems like the biggest in my mind. Can Noah T/Angelo A take the next step and become difference makers ? Jeffrey Johnson coming back was HUGE, and in my mind Dorceous from Memphis not making the all AAC team may just be due to confusion regarding his recent transfer and role on Tulane.

Secondary- do we have the depth and coaching ? I think we do. Seems like Athlon is reticent to give all AAC nods to transfers, as there is uncertaintly but besides our young crew we have developed we have a couple very good looking transfer. Derrion Rakestraw was a starter and contributor at Colorado. Lance Robinson adds valuable depth as well.

WR- Can all conference FCS transfer Cyron Sutton transfer team up with Watts bros, our #1 recruit TJ Huggins and our backfield ( Spears and Devin Brumfield) to give Pratt enough weapons ?

Those are my biggest questions
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastal , the magazine most likely finished and locked in at least three or four weeks before the young man transferred from Memphis to us .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
gbgreenie
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:42 pm Question for the Forum- After taking a look at Athlon AAC all conference team and what we know about our team what are our biggest question marks and deficiencies ?

DL - Seems like the biggest in my mind. Can Noah T/Angelo A take the next step and become difference makers ? Jeffrey Johnson coming back was HUGE, and in my mind Dorceous from Memphis not making the all AAC team may just be due to confusion regarding his recent transfer and role on Tulane.

Secondary- do we have the depth and coaching ? I think we do. Seems like Athlon is reticent to give all AAC nods to transfers, as there is uncertaintly but besides our young crew we have developed we have a couple very good looking transfer. Derrion Rakestraw was a starter and contributor at Colorado. Lance Robinson adds valuable depth as well.

WR- Can all conference FCS transfer Cyron Sutton transfer team up with Watts bros, our #1 recruit TJ Huggins and our backfield ( Spears and Devin Brumfield) to give Pratt enough weapons ?

Big question is how soon will Kai Horton take over for Pratt, having never lost a game he started at QB that is just what we need, someone that does not know what losing is!!!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Ghg greenie I respect yourself enthusiasm and excitement for Kai Horton, but is that really your biggest concern ? Responding to every question with pretty much the same post about Kai Horton doesn’t make for the greatest discussion of exchange of idea. Think about it this way- if Kai does take over what will he be working with ? OL and WR would be big question marks.
gbgreenie
Surge

e
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:07 am Ghg greenie I respect yourself enthusiasm and excitement for Kai Horton, but is that really your biggest concern ? Responding to every question with pretty much the same post about Kai Horton doesn’t make for the greatest discussion of exchange of idea. Think about it this way- if Kai does take over what will he be working with ? OL and WR would be big question marks.
Winners find ways to win with what they have. Talent is one thing many QB's had talent but did not know how to win. Takes a special mindset. The number one thing and I will equate it to Joe Montana, not the most talented QB but he was a winner, quick thinking know where to throw the ball in a mili second. Knowing the defenses, Kai, as his coach said was a coach on the field. Reminds me of Drew but with the size, arm and quickness to escape and throw on the run. His passes are precise and thrown to a spot before the receiver breaks, special talent. Now Pratt has the talent but Kai has the talent plus the intangibles improvising on the field, audible which his coach allowed him to do. Long will fall in love with Kai, I know he will. I believe Kai when he is done will rewrite all of Tulane's Passing records, has that much talent.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:43 pm e
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:07 am Ghg greenie I respect yourself enthusiasm and excitement for Kai Horton, but is that really your biggest concern ? Responding to every question with pretty much the same post about Kai Horton doesn’t make for the greatest discussion of exchange of idea. Think about it this way- if Kai does take over what will he be working with ? OL and WR would be big question marks.
Winners find ways to win with what they have. Talent is one thing many QB's had talent but did not know how to win. Takes a special mindset. The number one thing and I will equate it to Joe Montana, not the most talented QB but he was a winner, quick thinking know where to throw the ball in a mili second. Knowing the defenses, Kai, as his coach said was a coach on the field. Reminds me of Drew but with the size, arm and quickness to escape and throw on the run. His passes are precise and thrown to a spot before the receiver breaks, special talent. Now Pratt has the talent but Kai has the talent plus the intangibles improvising on the field, audible which his coach allowed him to do. Long will fall in love with Kai, I know he will. I believe Kai when he is done will rewrite all of Tulane's Passing records, has that much talent.
Do you think a single person read these posts in this thread that had not read you post the same stuff at least a half dozen times? C'mon man, give it a rest until the kid takes a collegiate snap, please. You now sound like Charlie Brown's teacher.
Jaxwave
Swell

I hope you’re right but if he is that good, this question begs to be answered, “How was he still available for Tulane that late in the recruiting process or at all for that matter?
Wave755
Tsunami

Let's just hope we have 3 really good quarterbacks this season - Michael Pratt, Justin Ibieta & Kai Horton.👍🤞✌️
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:45 pm Let's just hope we have 3 really good quarterbacks this season - Michael Pratt, Justin Ibieta & Kai Horton.👍🤞✌️
That I can agree with, while hoping that only one plays all season, save for mop-up time.
gbgreenie
Surge

Jaxwave wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:41 pm I hope you’re right but if he is that good, this question begs to be answered, “How was he still available for Tulane that late in the recruiting process or at all for that matter?
That is an easy answer, Rivals and 247 touched on it, the Pandemic hindered recruiting visits and Kai being a basketball player turned QB was under radar. He was not under radar by rivals and 247 sports. He was rated higher then both Pratt and Ibieta, why do you guys keep asking the same questions the recruiting services had he rated highly and I posted from both Rivals and 247. He did not go out for QB until his junior season and has not lost a game, He is a natural that had no learning curve, instant success that fell under radar because of covid. Look when the Wave signed Pratt you guys boasted about him like I am boasting about Kai Horton, only differences is Horton is rated higher than Pratt by the top two recruiting services.
Wave755
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:41 pm I hope you’re right but if he is that good, this question begs to be answered, “How was he still available for Tulane that late in the recruiting process or at all for that matter?
🤔 Out of high school Drew Brees had 2 offers, Purdue and Kentucky? 8-) I think Pratt will be our starter but Ibieta & Horton will both show promise this season. :)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:49 am
That is an easy answer, Rivals and 247 touched on it, the Pandemic hindered recruiting visits and Kai being a basketball player turned QB was under radar. He was not under radar by rivals and 247 sports. He was rated higher then both Pratt and Ibieta, why do you guys keep asking the same questions the recruiting services had he rated highly and I posted from both Rivals and 247. He did not go out for QB until his junior season and has not lost a game, He is a natural that had no learning curve, instant success that fell under radar because of covid. Look when the Wave signed Pratt you guys boasted about him like I am boasting about Kai Horton, only differences is Horton is rated higher than Pratt by the top two recruiting services.
Nobody posted the same crap 2-3 or 4 dozen times about Pratt. Please stop the insanity. Just wait and see, and if you're right come back and crow. But I pray he doesn't take a (non garbage time) snap for at least two years. Nobody has said you're wrong, just overzealous about a kid that's yet to take a collegiate football snap even in a practice.
51WaveBG
High Tide

Pratt has a full year of D1 , on the field, experience and a new, tougher OC working with him. A young man coming right out HS, has to feel and learn that the pace of D1 football is nothing like HS. He will be the QB this season, unless he is injured and I think that we will like what we see with Pratt on the field.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:42 pm Question for the Forum- After taking a look at Athlon AAC all conference team and what we know about our team what are our biggest question marks and deficiencies ?

The biggest question I have about the coming football season is whether Fritz can solve the "slow start" and "four quarters of play" problems. Being prepared at the start of each game, and maintaining concentration throughout the game were huge problems last season. Clearly many think we have talent to match anyone in the conference, but will we have the preparation and discipline necessary to execute from start to finish, in every game.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:46 pm

The biggest question I have about the coming football season is whether Fritz can solve the "slow start" and "four quarters of play" problems. Being prepared at the start of each game, and maintaining concentration throughout the game were huge problems last season. Clearly many think we have talent to match anyone in the conference, but will we have the preparation and discipline necessary to execute from start to finish, in every game.
+1, spotting everyone the first quarter can still work against an USM, but Cincy, UCF, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Tulsa............?
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Great post and question ! And we got the thread back on track. It also gave me nightmares remembering those missed opportunities last year wether it was starting slow and having a furious comeback, the blowing of massive leads, or the hilarious 3rd and long and 4th and long conversions. Hopefully fresh our DC will hope (I can’t see how that could get worse!)
gbgreenie
Surge

The biggest question I have about the coming football season is whether Fritz can solve the "slow start" and "four quarters of play" problems. Being prepared at the start of each game, and maintaining concentration throughout the game were huge problems last season. Clearly many think we have talent to match anyone in the conference, but will we have the preparation and discipline necessary to execute from start to finish,

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:07 am

HIGH SCHOOL and totally unrelated to the thread.