Gus Malzahn is UCF's Coach

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

He’s an upgrade IMO. Solid hire for UCF.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Good move by them.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:16 pm He’s an upgrade IMO. Solid hire for UCF.
I agree, one hell of an upgrade for UCF and the Conference
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
ajcalhoun
Swell

He beat Saban three times and lost in a shootout for a National Championship. I'd say UCF fell up.
God Bless Everyone!
MicMan
Swell

Don't forget, it was Gus's coaching that got UCF their only national title. LOL
Aberzombie1892
Swell

It would be like an AAC team losing their coach and hiring Tom Herman - it's great for the conference. As a side note, I would be on board with an AAC team hiring Les Miles if/when he is fired by Kansas.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:53 pm As a side note, I would be on board with an AAC team hiring Les Miles if/when he is fired by Kansas.
Me too, as long as it isn't us.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:38 pm Good move by them.
Good move by a program committed to big time football.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave QB wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 am
It helps when you have a fan base that won't accept less.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

Malzahn, the Arkansas St. connection and the present state of the UCF program.
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ ... story.html
arkhou02
High Tide

UCF has no fan base. Have you watched any of their games? Crappy attendance for a school bigger than most.

Tulane wants to win as much as anyone else in the AAC. Buying a practice facility shows you care is BS. Keeping your team healthy during a pandemic is something to praise.

We are steadily moving forward in the right direction for the first time in 50 years. It may not be as fast as some would like, but we are pointing north for the first time in my lifetime.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:18 am
Wave QB wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 am
It helps when you have a fan base that won't accept less.
I have been to UCF’s campus plenty of times, their fans aren’t what you think they are. Their “Bowl Competing” program is serious about winning at all cost. 6+ wins hasn’t been a goal at UCF because it was a given for a long time. In the last 15 years, UCF has won more than 6 games in a season 12 times.

Their fans have seen some big moments vs P5 opponents, but Knights fans have also watched their Athletic Program schedule non conference programs like Akron, Buffalo, Bethune-Cookman, FIU, Liberty, Navy, South Carolina State, South Dakota, Austin Peay and Villanova plenty of times! So what? They find ways to make noise and land 10+ win season like he have seen them do several times. Our officials have to get their.

We are getting closer, but still far away.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The difference is they win consistently against the better teams in the conference. That draws people in and gets you a NY6 Bowl. Let’s do it.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:33 pm The difference is they win consistently against the better teams in the conference. That draws people in and gets you a NY6 Bowl. Let’s do it.
The difference is better coaching and a better administration.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was addressing the part of your post where you talked about them playing patsiesOOC. What draws the fans in is winning consistently in the conference. Yes we need better facilities to reach that point. That's how you get better coaching and better players. Unfortunately we have too many that support the administrations belief that we can get by without it. They are stuck on the academic excuse. Yet we are setting records for players with 3.0 averages thanks to the new majors. Ron Hunter himself said he preferred zoom recruiting because he doesn't have to compete with others facilities. We have to keep beating the drum about facilities rather than giving in and saying well 6-6 is good enough for my hard earned money.
Wave755
Tsunami

Dillon Gabriel-Things getting weird @ UCF?
http://knightnews.com/2021/02/fans-spec ... ial-media/
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

arkhou02 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:09 pm UCF has no fan base. Have you watched any of their games? Crappy attendance for a school bigger than most.

Tulane wants to win as much as anyone else in the AAC. Buying a practice facility shows you care is BS. Keeping your team healthy during a pandemic is something to praise.

We are steadily moving forward in the right direction for the first time in 50 years. It may not be as fast as some would like, but we are pointing north for the first time in my lifetime.
BS.
https://ucfknights.com/news/2020/1/9/uc ... gures.aspx

The 2020 season may have cleared it, but in 2019 they had a wait list a few thousand names long for season tickets. I've been to the Bounce House twice and it was sold out both times. They AVERAGE 99% of capacity. We've sold out a much, much smaller stadium once in it's history. UCF does well at home, but a huge majority of the students leave at halftime regardless of the score. And if you watch UCF games, there's plenty of action in the second halves of their games! They have better attendance than half of the P5's.

While I agree with praising the efforts to keep the team healthy during a pandemic, the rest of your post I don't agree with at all. The fan base, if it can be called that, at Tulane is miniscule. Our TV ratings don't contain a number on the left of the decimal. Attendance is horrendous. We may be moving in the right direction, but it's with little sense of urgency. Rome wasn't built overnight, and Tulane has continued to be it's own worst enemy athletically as it has throughout my lifetime.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
MicMan
Swell

UCF has the largest enrollment of any college in the US.
Eaglewave
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 pm I was addressing the part of your post where you talked about them playing patsiesOOC. What draws the fans in is winning consistently in the conference. Yes we need better facilities to reach that point. That's how you get better coaching and better players. Unfortunately we have too many that support the administrations belief that we can get by without it. They are stuck on the academic excuse. Yet we are setting records for players with 3.0 averages thanks to the new majors. Ron Hunter himself said he preferred zoom recruiting because he doesn't have to compete with others facilities. We have to keep beating the drum about facilities rather than giving in and saying well 6-6 is good enough for my hard earned money.
Good damn point!
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 pm I was addressing the part of your post where you talked about them playing patsiesOOC. What draws the fans in is winning consistently in the conference. Yes we need better facilities to reach that point. That's how you get better coaching and better players. Unfortunately we have too many that support the administrations belief that we can get by without it. They are stuck on the academic excuse. Yet we are setting records for players with 3.0 averages thanks to the new majors. Ron Hunter himself said he preferred zoom recruiting because he doesn't have to compete with others facilities. We have to keep beating the drum about facilities rather than giving in and saying well 6-6 is good enough for my hard earned money.

I don’t really disagree, but you continue to ignore that fact that FCS and weak G5’s were scheduled by their administration as well. Their goal isn’t to be happy with a 6-6 record, but they will schedule to make sure that they have penciled in wins when necessary, and to make sure that UCF is always in the win column no matter what coaching changes are around the corner. They have no problem with showing a coach that constantly wins 6-7 games the door because those win totals are a given at UCF due to South Carolina State’s and FIU’s of the college football world appearing on their schedule. Do their fans care about beating those schools more than win the conference championship and beating a SEC or ACC team? Heck no, but, they understand that sitting at home 4-8 is not an option.

Winwave, we can go back and forth all day in this, but at the end of the day, we have been a losing program for decades and failed to show that we are serious about being a G5 powerhouse! I am not satisfied with 6-7 wins, but I can’t stand seeing us go 3-9 and witnessing the same BS anymore. After 3 consecutive barely bowl seasons, our football program is more attractive than it has been in a long time.

This fall will answer questions on where we are and where we are going after turning a corner with 3 consecutive bowl trips. Are we the same ole 2-4 win Tulane program that can’t compete in our own G5 conferences like we have been for decades, or are we legitimate Bowl Competing Program that is on the verge of competing for a conference championship. If we can find a way to win 7+ games with this upcoming schedule, then that 2022 schedule that I continue to rave about will bring much attention to our program as we will jump out into a great start before conference play.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

They talk the talk so they need to walk the walk. TD and WF have said that we want to win conference championships. They are both getting paid well to do so. No one has said they prefer 3 win seasons to 6 win seasons but that is low bar syndrome stuff. UCF didn't just beat those three, I'd point out Navy was a conference game, they beat the hell out of them and everybody else on their schedule. Also FIU went 8-5 and beat Tulane. They lost a game against Georgia Tech off their schedule due to a hurricane.They don't schedule like that to get to 10 wins. They do what others do and get a preseason game against a FCS to get the rust off and then schedule some P5's and a G5. This coming season they have Boise St. and Louisville scheduled. As I've said before Tulane fans see right through dumbed down scheduling. We have some decent schedules coming up which is the right road to go down. Have to hope WF and his staff is up to the task.
Eaglewave
Swell

I would agree to a watered down schedule if we were coming off multiple 2-5 win seasons, but at this point, our fans have seen 3 consecutive Crabby Jacks Bowls with 6-7 win teams under Fritz. As everyone knows, Fritz is the guy who I believed could turn around the program. He has at least gotten us to the point where we can win consistently win 6 games. Fans are ready for the next chapter.

I agree with Winwave. It’s time to put up or shut up at this point.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican