AAC Bowl performance

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:12 am I believe we went 1-5. The league really needs to put an emphasis on winning those games.
I think part of the problem with bowl games is that teams go into the games with different motivations. Many of the G5 schools get fired up and play well against a P5 school with a better football reputation, often pulling off an upset. With the AAC bowl tie-ins, we're often playing other G5 schools, and frankly our conference as a whole likes to think we're above the other G5's. This year the AAC was not, in my opinion the best of the G5's. In years past the AAC has been closer to the P5s than the other 4 G5s. This year I thought our conference was in the middle of the pack. It was a F'd up year, for sure. But the conference has to be a whole lot better or the P6 talk will continue to be a joke.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

With the growing issue of players opting out for "professional" reasons and current issue of COVID, I think bowl performances have become less of a program-determining issue. As for Tulane, we had two players lose their fathers days before the game. The P5's have an advantage that their backups are probably more talented than G5's to cover for opt outs, but the P5's have more players that do opt out. All the statistics for this year are irrelevant.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 am
winwave wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:12 am I believe we went 1-5. The league really needs to put an emphasis on winning those games.
I think part of the problem with bowl games is that teams go into the games with different motivations. Many of the G5 schools get fired up and play well against a P5 school with a better football reputation, often pulling off an upset. With the AAC bowl tie-ins, we're often playing other G5 schools, and frankly our conference as a whole likes to think we're above the other G5's. This year the AAC was not, in my opinion the best of the G5's. In years past the AAC has been closer to the P5s than the other 4 G5s. This year I thought our conference was in the middle of the pack. It was a F'd up year, for sure. But the conference has to be a whole lot better or the P6 talk will continue to be a joke.
That's a good take and is usually the case. This year we had 3 of our Bowl games with P5's- Georgia, MSU and BYU. Gotta do better.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:15 am With the growing issue of players opting out for "professional" reasons and current issue of COVID, I think bowl performances have become less of a program-determining issue. As for Tulane, we had two players lose their fathers days before the game. The P5's have an advantage that their backups are probably more talented than G5's to cover for opt outs, but the P5's have more players that do opt out. All the statistics for this year are irrelevant.
No doubt it's been a messed up year. The problem is this is what usually happens to the AAC every Bowl season.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:44 am This year we had 3 of our Bowl games with P5's- Georgia, MSU and BYU. Gotta do better.
When did BYU get into the P5? Impressive for an independent.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:51 am
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:44 am This year we had 3 of our Bowl games with P5's- Georgia, MSU and BYU. Gotta do better.
When did BYU get into the P5? Impressive for an independent.
They are considered that by the committee when ranking SOS. Just like ND is a P5. The ACC, SEC and Big 10 count them as a P5 for scheduling purposes.