Tulane in the Top 25

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:50 pm but is it a good thing
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/07 ... m-analysis
I think it says a lot for the AAC in that its a lot harder for us to play teams that could be those elite teams, because we don't have the schedule a P5 does. Heck, Ole Miss plays Alabama and LSU every year. In the last 5 years that's easily 8 losses to teams with 2 or fewer losses.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:38 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:50 pm but is it a good thing
https://collegefootballnews.com/2020/07 ... m-analysis
I think it says a lot for the AAC in that its a lot harder for us to play teams that could be those elite teams, because we don't have the schedule a P5 does. Heck, Ole Miss plays Alabama and LSU every year. In the last 5 years that's easily 8 losses to teams with 2 or fewer losses.
So we've played 8 games against teams CFN considers "elite" and lost them. It's been a long time since we've beaten a ranked team, no less an "elite" team.

Notice how high Notre Dame is on the list. That's why some of their alumni want Brian Kelly out. He's 2-12 against top 10 teams. Their schedule, while still tough, is nothing compared to what it used to be. Kelly has benefited from teams on the schedule (Ball State, Wake Forest (2x), New Mexico, Bowling Green, Vanderbilt, Duke, Miami (OH), and what was at the time a horrible UNC team. These are just from the last three seasons. So the team has had at least 3 non-competitive opponents/year that were not traditionally on the ND schedule.

Getting back to this ranking, I think it means more to look at "elite" program losses and how they've fared versus other "elite" programs. A Tulane is not expected to win those games. We were competitive in one or two, but haven't come close to winning them.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Well ND certainly beat the shit out of that all powerful Navy team last season. Only the idiots want him gone. Thank goodness Swarbrick get to make that decision.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

A similar but more interesting ranking would be to rank the Elite Football Factories by how many "purchased home victories" each has. That might generate some red faces among the Elites.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Ruski
Swell

I think this is a testament to the work of WF. Most of our elite losses are in conference, we’re scheduling tougher OOC and yet we’re winning more games. When I was a student 10 years ago we lost more games and against absolute dog shit teams.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 am Well ND certainly beat the shit out of that all powerful Navy team last season. Only the idiots want him gone. Thank goodness Swarbrick get to make that decision.
Only the idiots that were smart enough to get into Notre Dame and successful enough to donate money to her. They want Swarbrick gone as well. Yeah, they're idiots as defined by someone who admittedly couldn't get into Tulane.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 am Well ND certainly beat the shit out of that all powerful Navy team last season. Only the idiots want him gone. Thank goodness Swarbrick get to make that decision.
Only the idiots that were smart enough to get into Notre Dame and successful enough to donate money to her. They want Swarbrick gone as well. Yeah, they're idiots as defined by someone who admittedly couldn't get into Tulane.
Both are secure in their jobs. Never said anything about getting into Tulane.
As to the rest I've refuted it all before but as usual that doesn't deter you from continuing your lies.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:14 pm
ND hasn’t been a true title contender in 30 years. It’s not quite the blue blood program it used to be. They can’t compete with the dominate southern teams or Ohio State due to the talent gap. They have been much worse under the previous 3 coaches and it doesn’t attract the big name coaches.
ajcalhoun
Swell

greenie78 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:55 pm
ND hasn’t been a true title contender in 30 years.
In my book making it to the Title game or the CFP, which ND has done twice in the last nine years, qualifies them as a contender. It doesn't matter that they got their ass kicked. They were in position to win it.
greenie78 wrote:They have been much worse under the previous 3 coaches and it doesn’t attract the big name coaches.
Urban Meyer would take that job in a heartbeat.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:54 pm
In my book making it to the Title game or the CFP, which ND has done twice in the last nine years, qualifies them as a contender. It doesn't matter that they got their ass kicked. They were in position to win it.
greenie78 wrote:They have been much worse under the previous 3 coaches and it doesn’t attract the big name coaches.
I stand by my post above. Want to verify that there's an undertow of disgruntled alumni that want both Swarbrick and Kelly out? Simple: go to the Blue and Gold Message Boards and chat rooms. 2-12 speaks for itself to those older donors who feel that ND is every bit as entitled to expect a national championship every so often as any other program. When your 2-12 against the teams you need to be beating to get there, it doesn't matter how often you beat Ball State, Duke, Wake Forest etc.

And it's still one of the prized coaching jobs in college football. Find me a school with more history, tradition, nostalgia and mystique. Go ahead, please let me know when you do.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Meyer could have had the job but didn't want it. Sure people on fan forums complain. They don't count. If they did he'd have been gone long ago. The ones that count know what he's done to upgrade the program. They also know that times have changed and that there are other programs with more resources. They know that those teams can recruit players that ND can't. He made significant changes after the 4-8 debacle. He's beat good teams. He's beat a lot more than the WF of the world. If anyone can get them a championship it's him.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Notre Dame is fine, but the difficulty with completing a schedule 12-0 would (and has) almost always keep them out of the CFP.

If 2020 was being played as initially planned, a 12-0 Notre Dame with wins over USC (presumed PAC 12 title game participant), Clemson (presumed ACC winner), Wisconsin (presumed B1G title game participant), Louisville (presumed #2 in ACC Atlantic), and solid Navy and Stanford teams would likely make the CFP controlling for what happens with P5 champions. In the current environment, the potential replacing of USC and Wisconsin (along with Stanford) with mediocre ACC teams dramatically decreases the impact of that schedule.
greenie78
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:19 pm
I stand by my post above. Want to verify that there's an undertow of disgruntled alumni that want both Swarbrick and Kelly out? Simple: go to the Blue and Gold Message Boards and chat rooms. 2-12 speaks for itself to those older donors who feel that ND is every bit as entitled to expect a national championship every so often as any other program. When your 2-12 against the teams you need to be beating to get there, it doesn't matter how often you beat Ball State, Duke, Wake Forest etc.

And it's still one of the prized coaching jobs in college football. Find me a school with more history, tradition, nostalgia and mystique. Go ahead, please let me know when you do.
All that may be true, or some of it, but it still doesn’t take away from that fact that Notre Dame is not a true blue blood nowadays when it comes to competing against the elite Southern schools and Ohio State on a talent level. The current coach who should be fired has made the title game and playoffs only to lose to much more talented teams. ND is more of a relic at this point. Historic, shiny, valuable, but belongs in a museum instead of at the elites of college football.
greenie78
Riptide

Sure but the talent level with these recent teams did not matchup with the talent in the late 80s, early 90s. And no, Meyer could have had that job and chose Ohio State.