Memphis versus Cincinnati in AAC Championship Game

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As hard as it if for me, I have to root for Memphis to win the AAC Championship game next week, otherwise the AAC probably misses out on the Cotton Bowl (the NY6 game designated for the highest ranked G5 school.) Getting a team to the NY6 game slightly improves every other AAC team's bowl opportunities. Missing out would push everyone back (and yes I know the conference tie-ins are pre-determined.)

Having watched a good portion of their game yesterday, I can honestly say that I think the AAC championship game has the two best teams in the conference.

I've never been a fan of the Memphis Tigers. It goes back to Dana Kirk, who was Memphis State's basketball coach when I was at Tulane. But I'll root for them next week.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Agree that it's best for the conference for Memphis to win. Cincy's starting QB was out yesterday with an injury to his throwing shoulder that he tried to play through the last two games. It will be interesting to see if he's back next weekend.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:16 am Agree that it's best for the conference for Memphis to win. Cincy's starting QB was out yesterday with an injury to his throwing shoulder that he tried to play through the last two games. It will be interesting to see if he's back next weekend.
Statistically, Ben Bryant, his replacement (and a former Wisconsin recruit,) was every bit as good as the starter he replaced. He was actually a whole lot better than what Ridder had done trying to play through the injury. QB play was not what got the Bearcats to the AAC Championship game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was just pointing out to those that weren't following closely that their starting QB was out. I never said he was the reason for them getting there. He is the better QB as he is a threat as runner also. You also lose the intangibles of leadership at the most critical position. Bryant threw ok but there were reasons Ridder was the starter. The main point is you would like to see teams at their very best when meeting in a championship game.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

No doubt Memphis winning out is best for the AAC at this point. I also found it interesting what Cincy is doing with their massive O linemen. Recruiting huge, under the radar OLs that have played multiple sports, and typically not played football that long. It's a pretty good strategy when you can't go head-to-head, against P5 factories, for top flight OLs. The big question is can their staff coach them up over a 2 or 3 year period. I wonder if Fritz has thought about such a strategy.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 am I was just pointing out to those that weren't following closely that their starting QB was out. I never said he was the reason for them getting there. He is the better QB as he is a threat as runner also. You also lose the intangibles of leadership at the most critical position. Bryant threw ok but there were reasons Ridder was the starter. The main point is you would like to see teams at their very best when meeting in a championship game.
I don't disagree.

But you make the same arguments I make for McKenzie Milton being able to be (as you described him) a "difference maker" for UCF in 1, 2 or all 3 of their losses which were by a total of 5 points. If you saw Milton as often as I have the last 3 seasons, you'd know he would have put the Knights on his back and carry them to victory in a few, if not all three of those games. He was, IMHO, the best player in D1.

And that is, I promise, the last time I will bring that point up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:36 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:57 am I was just pointing out to those that weren't following closely that their starting QB was out. I never said he was the reason for them getting there. He is the better QB as he is a threat as runner also. You also lose the intangibles of leadership at the most critical position. Bryant threw ok but there were reasons Ridder was the starter. The main point is you would like to see teams at their very best when meeting in a championship game.
I don't disagree.

But you make the same arguments I make for McKenzie Milton being able to be (as you described him) a "difference maker" for UCF in 1, 2 or all 3 of their losses which were by a total of 5 points. If you saw Milton as often as I have the last 3 seasons, you'd know he would have put the Knights on his back and carry them to victory in a few, if not all three of those games. He was, IMHO, the best player in D1.

And that is, I promise, the last time I will bring that point up.
Again I never said MM wasn't a difference maker. I said before the season that they would have good QB play and they have. Simple as that.