The worse D in history

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 pm UConn, the big east is waiting
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-history
Clearly the Big East is waiting. UConn will leave with the only national championships in AAC history, and they have 2! And not for nothing, despite not emphasizing baseball, UConn has WAY outperformed our Green Wave in that sport this decade.

Football is screwed by the move to the Big East. But their football team, despite being as bad as they've been the past few years, has done more this century than ours. I hope and pray that changes over the next few years, but as of today, they've been to BCS bowl games, had 4 strait seasons with 8 or more wins (and 6 out of 8 with 8+ wins) and done it all in a short history. We've been to a Rose Bowl and a Sugar Bowl in 120 years of D1 football and never won 8 games 3 seasons in a row. Never. So laugh all you want, but they've outperformed our Wave this century.

We should beat UConn like a drum when we play them this year. But the AAC was not a good spot for UConn, and they're leaving. I think it hurts the conference more than it hurts UConn.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:12 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:49 pm UConn, the big east is waiting
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ll-history
Clearly the Big East is waiting. UConn will leave with the only national championships in AAC history, and they have 2! And not for nothing, despite not emphasizing baseball, UConn has WAY outperformed our Green Wave in that sport this decade.

Football is screwed by the move to the Big East. But their football team, despite being as bad as they've been the past few years, has done more this century than ours. I hope and pray that changes over the next few years, but as of today, they've been to BCS bowl games, had 4 strait seasons with 8 or more wins (and 6 out of 8 with 8+ wins) and done it all in a short history. We've been to a Rose Bowl and a Sugar Bowl in 120 years of D1 football and never won 8 games 3 seasons in a row. Never. So laugh all you want, but they've outperformed our Wave this century.

We should beat UConn like a drum when we play them this year. But the AAC was not a good spot for UConn, and they're leaving. I think it hurts the conference more than it hurts UConn.
I agree with the bolded. It's...unfortunate.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Sure UConn has been better then Tulane’s epically bad century. That’s not much of a measuring stick.

I think it definitely hurts UConn more then it hurts the conference. There are some details still to be worked out, but I think we are more likely to get a good football program and add a comparable basketball program in the coming years once the new MW contract comes out and is less than half of ours (that’s what the leaks are showing). This coupled with everyone realizing there won’t be further alignment - we are in the drivers seat.

UConn inflicted a massive injury to themselves ultimately destroying their football program. They can be happy playing with their natural rivals in a basketball league and that is what they will be limited to moving forward. That’s fine. But just like brexit, there is a reason the popular/fans don’t (shouldn’t) make these decisions. . . The knee jerk reactions when dealing with complicated matters are best to be handled by experienced professionals. It is difficult for fans to rationally look at the long term and assimilate all the facts. They just want to win now and return to the “good ole days”. But sometimes you can’t go home again. The new big east isn’t the old big east. Nor is the nature of sports. I hope UConn fans have fun with their new rivals and the convenient travel to see them in the Midwest
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastal, I couldn't agree with you more. They're not going back to the same old BigEast, and it's going to hurt them in a big way on the gridiron. UConn glory days in the Big East had more to do with BC and Syracuse than anyone else, but at least they'll play their conference tournament in "The World's Most Famous Arena" and still have St. Johns and Georgetown as rivals. But to say we're going to land an equally good basketball program is tough to agree with. Who can we get that's won national championships in the last 10 years?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm Sure UConn has been better then Tulane’s epically bad century. That’s not much of a measuring stick.
Was the 20th century that much better for Tulane Football? We played to about a .440 record (one of the worst in D1) in the 20th century and never won 8 games 3 years in a row.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:01 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:32 pm Sure UConn has been better then Tulane’s epically bad century. That’s not much of a measuring stick.
Was the 20th century that much better for Tulane Football? We played to about a .440 record (one of the worst in D1) in the 20th century and never won 8 games 3 years in a row.
D, take a look at the Connecticut 2020 Football Commits. https://247sports.com/college/uconn/Sea ... l/Commits/ Sadly D, the UCONN commit list does remind me of the days of “Buffet” Bob Toledo at Tulane? And, even more woeful, while the Wave is presently ranked no. 43 by 247,https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Se ... l/Commits/ UCONN is instead no. 148? :shakingno:

D, in spite of UCONN"s past "laurels," it would appear Tulane and UCONN are programs headed in completely different directions. :megagrin:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:02 am
D, take a look at the Connecticut 2020 Football Commits. https://247sports.com/college/uconn/Sea ... l/Commits/ Sadly D, the UCONN commit list does remind me of the days of “Buffet” Bob Toledo at Tulane? And, even more woeful, while the Wave is presently ranked no. 43 by 247,https://247sports.com/college/tulane/Se ... l/Commits/ UCONN is instead no. 148? :shakingno:

D, in spite of UCONN"s past "laurels," it would appear Tulane and UCONN are programs headed in completely different directions. :megagrin:
I hope you're right, as we don't want to be where they are now. Been there, done that.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 am
Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:02 am

I hope you're right, as we don't want to be where they are now. Been there, done that.
UConn may have thee options for football..the MAC..FCS..or Elimination.....the MAC gives them the best hope, a conference that has a solid foundation.. I do not think CUSA has any interest in them as Football only memebr.....FCS, to save on the cost of schollies ....and Elimination, which eliminates all variables ..being an Independent, unless you are a Service Academy, BYU or ND, is "death by slow drip"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- as I've said before it's an apples and oranges comparison. In the early 20th century when the program was having success they didn't play as many games in a season and there were far fewer Bowl games available to be in. So those metrics are skewed.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 pm
D- as I've said before it's an apples and oranges comparison. In the early 20th century when the program was having success they didn't play as many games in a season and there were far fewer Bowl games available to be in. So those metrics are skewed.
Who gives a crap about what took place in the early part of the 20th century? REALLY? WHO? I don't care, but we still have yet to win 8 games 3 years in a row, despite 120+ years of trying. And if you want to focus on that part of the history of college football, you bring in programs like Fordham, Suwannee, etc. LOL, in an article a year or two ago, Fordham was named a better all-time football program and they haven't played FBS/D1 in a VERY long time.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm
Who gives a crap about what took place in the early part of the 20th century? REALLY? WHO? I don't care, but we still have yet to win 8 games 3 years in a row, despite 120+ years of trying. And if you want to focus on that part of the history of college football, you bring in programs like Fordham, Suwannee, etc. LOL, in an article a year or two ago, Fordham was named a better all-time football program and they haven't played FBS/D1 in a VERY long time.
D, UCONN had better beat Wagner College on 8/29 @ Rentschler Field, East Hartford, CT, otherwise UCONN's only other chance for a win for the 2019 season will be @ UMass on 10/26, and it is hard to imagine the Huskies beating any FBS team on the road this season. :shakingno:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm
D, UCONN had better beat Wagner College on 8/29 @ Rentschler Field, East Hartford, CT, otherwise UCONN's only other chance for a win for the 2019 season will be @ UMass on 10/26, and it is hard to imagine the Huskies beating any FBS team on the road this season. :shakingno:
BFD! I'm not a UConn fan, just an observer of the local team that's actually further away from me than at least 3 or 4 other D1/FBS programs. If they go winless on their way out of the AAC, after paying a 70% premium to get out, GREAT! I've been to exactly 1 UConn football game in my life. WE SHOULD BEAT THEM LIKE A DRUM THIS SEASON, OTHERWISE WE'RE NOWHERE CLOSE TO WHERE WE THINK WE ARE.

But I do think they've done more in a short time in D1 than Tulane has in a very long time playing D1. Sure, they cannot match our 1998 season, but the Huskies did have success playing in a MUCH better conference than we did this century.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:32 pm
Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:15 pm
BFD! I'm not a UConn fan, just an observer of the local team that's actually further away from me than at least 3 or 4 other D1/FBS programs. If they go winless on their way out of the AAC, after paying a 70% premium to get out, GREAT! I've been to exactly 1 UConn football game in my life. WE SHOULD BEAT THEM LIKE A DRUM THIS SEASON, OTHERWISE WE'RE NOWHERE CLOSE TO WHERE WE THINK WE ARE.

But I do think they've done more in a short time in D1 than Tulane has in a very long time playing D1. Sure, they cannot match our 1998 season, but the Huskies did have success playing in a MUCH better conference than we did this century.
Get off the computer and get a life .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:01 pm
Obviously you do. You keep bringing it up You did again in that post. I simply responded to it. Seriously. As to Fordham who gives a fuck But since you brought them up I'll point out that had they not quit they may well have ended up ranked below us. :roll:
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave755
Tsunami

BFD! I'm not a UConn fan.
🤔, could’ve fooled me and I think as well the rest of this forum? Then, are you a troll?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm
BFD! I'm not a UConn fan.
🤔, could’ve fooled me and I think as well the rest of this forum? Then, are you a troll?
I live in CT, and have since 1967. read and QUOTE the rest of my post.

And call me a TROLL if you will. I'm Tulane class of 1985 and bleed olive green and sky blue as much or more than anyone that has ever posted on this board.